Portis on Skins Offense: "Bombs Over Baghdad"

Wednesday was his first game-week media session of the season, and Clinton Portis has already provided at least four t shirt-ready slogans. He really should just start a clothing company.

He was asked how many miles he has left: "Hey, this built Ford Tough baby, I'll never break down," he said.

Built Ford Tough? That's hackneyed, but still a potential t-shirt.

He was asked what Albert Haynesworth has to prove with a $100 million contract; "I don't think anybody in this locker room would say that Albert wasn't worth 100 million dollars," Portis said. "I think everybody in our locker room appreciate that the owner went and paid him $100 million and kept us from having to play him....Having him on our team is always a plus. So it's up to them. Whatever their motivation is to go out and prove that they're deserving of the throne or the title is good for us."

Deserving of the Throne? That's a t-shirt.

He was asked about the NFC East; "Everybody over here is Mano y Mano," he said. "They are what they are, and you've just got to be able to go out and deal with it."

There's a t-shirt somewhere in there..

And Portis was asked about the Skins' newly potent offense: "It's always been the Redskins gonna come out and play smash mouth, and that's what it is," he said, "but now I think you're seeing all preseason, we're throwing the ball downfield. And whether you complete it or not, just the opportunity....If you don't get back there, it's gonna be Bombs over Baghdad."

Bombs Over Baghdad? That's definitely a t-shirt.

(The most interesting part of his media session came when he discussed Malcolm Kelly. "I mean, you can't cover Malcolm 1 on 1, and teams gonna realize that real quick in the season," Portis said. "As long as he's healthy, it's gonna be impossible to cover him on the deep route one on one. I think his hands unreal."

Huh.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 10, 2009; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Faces of Zorn: The Frothy Rock Star
Next: Morning Bog: Riggleman Says Baseball Isn't Taxing

Comments

I love it when Clinton's happy.

Posted by: trolly_time | September 10, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

A happy Portis is a happy Barno.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 10, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Is it really possible that Malcolm Kelly could be anything other than disappointing after all this hype? Everyone talks about this TOTALLY UNPROVEN guy like he is the savior of the franchise. I'm hopeful as always at this point in the Redskins season but I'm not about to drink the CoolAid yet.

Posted by: congero | September 10, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: congero | September 10, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I typically spend about half my day reading about the Redskins and I have not come across anything anywhere from anyone acting like Malcolm Kelly is "the savior of the franchise." That's what you call a gross exaggeration. The guy HAS proven he is worthy of being a number 2 guy throughout pre season and training camp, but as far as being the savior of the franchise...nope, haven't heard anyone say or imply this.

Btw, kool-aid is spelled with a "k"...if you're going to botch the reference at least spell it correctly while you botch it.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 10, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Good one Barno

Posted by: ttn703 | September 10, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

weebie gonna wach n see if'n jason be able to bomb over baghdad be accarate so's malcom be haulin it, din it showin what I be sayin

Posted by: sunnyman1 | September 10, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is the savior of the franchise...

Posted by: NickelsLuvsSkins | September 10, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Campbell is the savior of the franchise...

Posted by: NickelsLuvsSkins | September 10, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Amen

Posted by: Barno1 | September 10, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Not an Outkast fan, Steinberg? You're going to get CP involved a copyright lawsuit if you persuade him to make those shirts.

And clearly Dan Snyder is the savior of the franchise.

Posted by: offbeatdude | September 10, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Another T-Shirt...

"Malcolm Kelly: His hands unreal"

Posted by: philreed1231 | September 10, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse