Portis: We're All on the Hot Seat

(By Toni L. Sanyds - TWP)

In a week when an unknown Redskin found himself, wittingly or unwittingly, insulting large numbers of fed-up Redskins fans, leave it to Clinton Portis to make things right. Clinton Portis of all people, the man who spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on his birthday presents to himself, accidentally dumps teammates and coaches in the middle of oncoming traffic, and supposedly has a bi-lateral alliance with a certain local sports owner.

"It's just people growing tired," Portis said Wednesday, when asked about the teenage angst that's had D.C. sports fans wearing tight black t-shirts and writing weepy poetry this week. "You come out, you bring a family of four or five to come to a game, that's $500, and then you've got to eat and park. You're spending $700 a week to come out and see some entertainment, and you get there and it's really not a lot of entertainment. I think people just growing weary of that.

"We would love to make it exciting. You know, myself included. I'm sure everybody around here, nobody want to go out and score nine points. Everybody want touchdowns. Everybody want to go to the Pro Bowl. Everybody want to win....I really do think on paper we've got the most talented team in the NFL. It's just putting it together and making it work."

During Portis's weekly sessions, the reporters come and go, and so questions can sort of catapult from one topic to a second and a third before returning to an earlier point. And so a few minutes later, someone asked Portis whether Jim Zorn is on the hot seat, which brought us back to the macro existential despair thing.

"Hey, I feel like I'm on the hot seat," Portis said. "I can't speak on Coach Zorn, I don't know. I feel like I'm on the hot seat."

Why, came the follow-up.

"I mean, performance, as a team," Portis said. "We're getting booed coming off the field. So I think everybody in this organization on the hot seat. You know, I think you look at the owner, he on the verge of losing fans. You know, how long before people just give up and stop coming? You look at the players, and people want you out of here. You look at the coach, people want you out of here. So who's not on the hot seat? Until we come out and play to our potential, I think everybody on the hot seat."

There has not been a more honest or accurate quote from anyone in the Redskins organization this season, with the possible exception of "It is what it is" or "A win is a win." Though I guess some would argue that "on the verge of" was an unnecessary addition to that sentence.

Anyhow, just in case you were worried that Portis was straight mainlining the comments from Extreme Skins and then spitting them back to the media, he was asked what the team needs to do to play to its potential. And here, he kind of mentioned that you, in particular, Dear Reader, don't know the answer to this question.

"You know, everybody's got the answers to every thing," he said. "And you really don't. I really wish you could take some of these people and put 'em on the field and let them try to execute, let them go and get their bell rung, let them pick up a blitz, let them try to catch a pass in traffic, let them be Jason Campbell and sit back and try to throw a pass while pressure is on. And I really would love to see how they execute.

"Because I think a lot of people from the outside looking in, you know, everybody feel like they know football. But you can go and pick up a joystick on Madden and play the computer and realize your coaching really is not what you think it is. Oh, I'm gonna throw a deep route. Well, there's two safeties back there, and they're covered. Or they pick it off and then you slam the joystick down and you're mad. So everybody's got the answers when it don't work. Who knows?"

He also earlier joked that fans should "send in some plays," so there's that. And look, we're all in this together, because Portis also sort of wondered about the wisdom, or loyalty, or mindset of the media.

"I don't know who happy, I don't know [who are the ] Redskins fans in this media, I don't know who want us to win; I think it's all about just selling the story," he said. "And it get rough. You don't know who got your back, you don't know who to high five, you don't know who to give an exclusive to and sit down and talk with. I think it get rough just for everybody. But at the same time, this is what we ask for, this is the position we're in. We're in one of the best media places in the world, so we're gonna take fire, and hopefully we can prevail. If we go out and prove the naysayers wrong, then there's not a problem. It's only a matter of time before you've got to jump on the bandwagon and congratulate us and stop throwing us under the bus."

As for this week's exciting news that Portis is on Twitter, well, don't get your hopes up.

"No, not really," he said. "That's my new account, but it ain't me."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 23, 2009; 1:53 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Smoot's House is For Sale
Next: Dropped Passes Made Zorn Turn to the Run

Comments

CP is right. I've lived in NYC for 10 years now. For the previous 9 seasons I went to sports bars as much as possible to watch games. This season I'm just not doing it anymore. I can't spend my money each weekend on food and beer to watch a team that was pretty poorly put together. I feel for the players, who are just trying to do their jobs, but you hire a HC who's never been a coordinator because all the guys you really wanted backed out, then that's on the owner. You cut your QB's legs out because you want a shiny new toy, that's on the owner and the GM.

I know I'm not the only one.

Posted by: jgperras | September 23, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

It is clear that Clinton has been reading Extremeskins this week

Its all right there

Posted by: madish32 | September 23, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I go to all the home games and judging by the tone of the fans in the stands, Clinton Portis comments were right on target. This is not the typical disappointment, this is a wave of discontent that has been building over years of frustration with the team,facility and perceived motives of ownership.

Jack Kent Cooke was masterful at making the fans feel that they were important. Dan Snyder's public silence conveys the complete opposite.

I would say from the comments I heard at Sunday's game, Clinton is correct that Dan is on the verge of losing his fan base for reasons that go above and beyond the play on the field.

Posted by: ala1 | September 23, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"I really do believe that on paper we have the most talented team in the NFL." Wow. Did any reporter question him on that? Does any reporter, or fan for that matter, really believe that? Shame on the reporters for giving up on that point. With the possible exception of Cooley, they don't have a top 5 player at ANY position on offense in the NFC, much less the NFL.

Posted by: uconnfan77 | September 23, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I am not a huge Redskins fan, but I watched last week's game. I was pissed bc it wasn't GREAT football. Bottom line. Esp, not compared to the level of play you see with the Baltimore Ravens.

I won't lie, Jason Campbell did his job. Snyder? Zorn? I don't know.

Portis and others are on point. It's time the Redskins took their jobs more seriously. In this recession, we are all feeling the pain of a pink slip or a potential one. If the skins don't step up this season, we should pink slip them.

Posted by: bosslady1 | September 23, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

uconnfan77 why stop with just the offense, here's some top 5 players at their position in the NFC, both sides of the ball

albert haynesworth
london fletcher
c rogers is a top 5 corner in the NFC, he's been lights out for the past two seasons
CP himself
chris samuels
dockery is top 5 RG in the NFC
cooley
ARE is playing like the best slot reciever in the NFL right now

Posted by: destewar | September 23, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

On the verge? Snyder has single-handedly cost the Redskins thousands of fans. The passion is no longer there for many.

A lot of fans who go to FedEx only go there to party in the parking lot and could care less about the team.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 23, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Naw Clinton, I don't think I can throw a ball or run faster than you. But I do pay almost $2000 for season tickets because I'm expecting to see professionals who can. If I was just looking for people that could out perform me or thought I could play with, I'd spend $5 on a high school football game. Just like I pay a constructionn company to build buildings, if it falls down I still don't think I could have did it. We just want what we pay for. A competent team.

Posted by: jrbell84 | September 23, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

well i have always said, "until you can bring a solution to the table for all the problems were are having then stop compaining about them" also, if you think that you can do a better job than what they are doing then why dont you go out for the team or apply for the head coaching job. end of story!!

Posted by: tareil | September 23, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

My feeling on how to cure the "Skins problem?

Hire a GM (will never happen).
Have the GM select in the draft (will never happen)

Posted by: boyn4884 | September 23, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

clinton is right, snyder is close to losing the fans and nobody is happy. I am pretty surprised 26 would bring up the owner losing the fans, since those two are thick as thieves

Posted by: jpfterps | September 23, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

This is Portis' way of throwing Zorn under the bus again despite "I can't speak on Coach Zorn, I don't know. I feel like I'm on the hot seat." comment. I can't say I disagree with him. All the tools are there. Sometimes I think Snyder speaks thru Portis...

Posted by: hlywd11 | September 23, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

If you are feeling on the verge of no longer rooting for the Redskins, by all means please go find another team to root for. The skins have enough fans where we can afford to lose a few fairweather phonies who decide to root for their teams based on wins and losses.

Fairweather fans = worst human beings on earth

Posted by: Barno1 | September 23, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are already losing fans locally because of the way the team's been run. It's sorta similar to how the Orioles fan base in DC was eroding years before the Nats got here b/c many of us couldn't stand the way Angelos was running the team. I come from a Virginia family that has been all Redskins going back before Baugh. Today, my Dad no longer watches the games and would never even consider going to FedEx. I'm almost 40 yrs old and I honestly can't remember a time when I've been more upset about the state of the Redskins. It's just very clear to me that the franchise is on the wrong track in just about every area, and because the owner can't be fired, I don't know how the funk gets reversed. And while my loyalty remains intact, in that I would not switch allegiances and root for another team, I know my passion for the Skins isn't what it used to be. I don't think I'm an unusual case.

Posted by: mbcnewspaper | September 23, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

@boyn4884 - Sadly it has been nearly ten years of saying the same thing about this owner. The problem is organizationally Snyder has yes man and fall guys in positions that both distance himself from failure when it is expedient but allows him to continue with maximum input on the day to day operations of this football team. He needs to step back and allow football people, not great pitchmen like Vinnie, handle personnel and coaching decisions. Now none of that will ever happen, and since I am close to Snyder in age, I really have no hope of ever seeing anything better then the occasional wild card first round exit.

Posted by: The_Spear | September 23, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Got to respect his honesty.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

People stopped going to FedEx because the atmosphere is non-existent, not because the team bites.

The fans can't be bothered to make a sound unless the big-screen or piped-in music tells them to.

As far as their performance on the field, a lot of the DBs look like they were never taught how to actually tackle. I'd LOVE to play rugby against guys who simply threw a shoulder at me or gave me a half-shove towards the sideline.

Square-up, wrap them from the waist to the knees, follow-through with your shoulder. How hard is that?

Posted by: alecw81 | September 23, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

That was Clinton Portis's Gettysburg Address.

Posted by: grimesman | September 23, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

The WHAT IS HANSEY WORTH METER: I'll give him fitty cents on the dollar.

It's liberal I know cause 50 million is a lot of money. But Griffin looked good out there and I'm surprised he was in less than half of the plays. Still there was a play that I swear Hanesworth avoided the double team. He scooched left when he saw another lineman pivoting tward him. Then on one-on-one blocking he was pushed backward. The play was a run straight at where he was. Instead of attacking the double head on and making a backfield tackle or forcing a bump out, he was pushed backwards. I believe he got in on the play (at the end of a 4-5 yard run). Still that one play gave me the impression he was trying to fudge his numbers, succumbing to the pressure of his contract. Fletcher didn't have the same strong game as in the first. Despite Blatche's claim that Hansey doesn't get to take credit for Fletcher's success, DT is a generaly inglorious position. Their worth is in eating space. Power and push. Sacks and even tackles can be a bonus to what the job requires.

I'm on the side of favouring more time on the sideline if it meant less off-plays. As it seemed with Griffin. No avoiding the tough work. Despite Griffin's near interception the 2 man rushes smack of coverup for too common lacks play. As an extreme Jason Taylor's only move seemed to be a speed rush that gimpy leg wouldn't allow. Punt-team-like rushes with LB rhetoric. I might think that the 2-man rush were creative were it not for last season. But because of it, it seems a bit of a cover-up. A political scandal in D.C. who would think? But different people warrant different expectations. Orakpo warrants praise for garnering double team chip blocks in the pre-season. He losses all momentum from a chip block and gives up on the rush and it is allowed. We expect Hansey to push one of the two straight into the QB's lap.

St. Louis still average better than 6 yards a carry on the run (exactly 6 with Bulgers 2 averaged in). But scored only 7. Campbell's 7 carries is both a sign of his keeping the offense moving and a sign of the O-lines weakness. I'm happy to see it and sad that it was necessary.

Posted by: chavez66 | September 23, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

No amount of money one spends on something will change reality. Snyder refuses to accept that he should not be apart of the football decision making. Not just that, the selecting of the coaches either.He must know SOMETHING to have earned as much money as he has, but anyone can see that just having a respectable organization in this area will earn you enough to not have to charge for everything.
Draft parties at FedEx to watch us draft one player,PLEASE!

Posted by: millineumman | September 23, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear that the players have a grasp of reality on the situation with the fans. However, how is it even possible for a man who has been through 16 years of formal education in this country to speak such poor English? Am I asking too much?

Posted by: shanks1 | September 23, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny when CP is the most insightful person in the organization.

Posted by: lauther266 | September 23, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Little Napoleon runs the team and he's good at only one thing and that's stiffing his customers and squeezing every possible penny.

Everything else is secondary.

Posted by: nativedc | September 23, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

A billionaire squeezing bankrupt fans for every penny he can get. Not exactly the kind of publicity that builds confidence in the fan base. Might be time for Danny Boy to lower prices a bit. His persona has gone from rabid fan to just another rich guy chasing a buck.

Posted by: gvelanis | September 23, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

There is only one thing wrong with the Redskins. And that is the owner. How do you get rid of an owner? You can't unless people stop going to games and that is not going to happen, so were stuck with that idiot.

Why do other teams get better over the years i.e Buff, Arizona, Atl, Saints and we always stay the same 8-8 or 9-7 at best. Maybe cause the owner and his Yes man Vinnie have no idea what they are doing! You can't buy a team every year. You have to work the draft like Baltimore and Philly do and coach them to get better. Not buy over the hill guys and go here you are give me a championship! Doesn't work that way. Syder could be one of the worst owners in NFL history. I know were a laughing stock of the league when it comes to owners.

Posted by: cromag23 | September 23, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

John Riggins, Larry Brown, Joe Theisman, Art Monk, and George Allen would have said "Super Bowl"....one's a me, the other is a we...

Posted by: outrbnksm | September 23, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I understand CP, but I am a fan.
I pay for my overpriced ticket, and expect the team to win. That is why they get paid all these millions. All of us, at work are given all tools for the job, a job description, and evaluated on performance or results. As a fan that is how I see it. I expect a win every Sunday.
Please notice that Miami even use the wild cat formation to get the job done!

Posted by: drsikali | September 23, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

dockery a top 5 rg???? I guess that;s why the bills cut his a$$ after only two seasons of being straight up pathetic.....london fletcher is a fine tackler, but he doesnt make big plays. portis isnt a top 5 back. He doesnt break runs. Redskins fans think we have something here because you know names, but that doesnt translate to success. The ownership doesnt allow for a good organization. Trickle down effect, wilbon didnt just make it up. Maybe skins fans should just take off the rosey glasses and face facts...get off your high horses

Posted by: nattylite88 | September 23, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Head coaches for the last ten years:

Patriots - 1
Steelers - 2
Giants - 2
Titans - 1
Eagles - 1
Colts - 2
Ravens - 2
Chargers - 3
Redskins - 6

That's right. Six coaches in ten years. Turner, Robiskie, Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, and Zorn. That's an average of a head coach every 1.66 years. The Skins don't build. They're constantly morphing. No leadership, no consistency at the helm. Best we had was Gibbs II.

Posted by: BenThere | September 23, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I knew we were in trouble when we gave Deon Sanders his golden parachute.

Posted by: good1 | September 23, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd say this but the Caps have actually passed the 'skins as my favorite local team.
I think they were getting on the right track when Marty was here. They were playing very well the second half of that year. Then came the "ball coach". Got so bad after that even Gibbs couldn't fix it.

Posted by: jfwil | September 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I love the Redskins. Have so for years, it's always great to chime in on who should be QB? What will our record be? Will we beat Dallas TWICE this year? But this year is different. What do we do? We love this team, we've been rooting for burgandy and gold year after year after year. Yet, there is something seriously wrong at FedEx Field. I didn't know whether to root for the Redskins on Sunday or go buy tickets to see u2? It's very corporate and stuffy. Every play, timeout, injury was sponsored by SOMEONE. We probably haven't the slightest clue as too how much money Snyder made on Sunday alone.

Perhaps we should stick to our recliners come Sundays, save our money for a more worthy cause. It's not that the Redskins are not worthy, it's the man who OWNS them that is not.

Posted by: JBuss | September 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Colts - 2
Ravens - 2
Chargers - 3
Redskins - 3

A little context goes a long way

Posted by: Barno1 | September 23, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, made some corrections.

Head Coaches in the last 6 years:

Patriots - 1
Steelers - 2
Giants - 1
Titans - 1
Eagles - 1
Colts - 2
Ravens - 2
Chargers - 2
Redskins - 2

A little context goes a long way

Posted by: Barno1 | September 23, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I like how he used Portis' quotes VERBATIM. Poor english and all. But to the point, I'm on the west coast. I think I'm dropping near $400 on the NFL package just to watch the Skins. I always will root for them but they do suck. And frankly, I'm sorry I paid for that when this team is like the last 10 teams they've fielded. I want Campbell to be great. He's not. I want them to kick arse! They don't. It's mind boggling that this is repeated year after year. Hire a GM Danny and then get out of his way, if you're really a fan.

Posted by: tdpillo123 | September 23, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Put 'em on the field and let them try to execute..." I'd rather see some Skins fans on the field than the poor display of football we're paying to see this season. Quit deflecting and take ownership of your lack of production. You have also cost my fantasy football team a wasted second-round draft pick!

Posted by: JS12 | September 23, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1
"A little context goes a long way"

Yes it does. Good teams, winning teams, they build their tradition over the years. Jack Kent Cooke - it took him a while but they built their tradition together over the years. Is Jason Campbell perfect? No. Not by any stretch is he. But neither was Theismann, Williams, or Rypien. Was Gibbs perfect the first time around? No but he listened to his players and adjusted his scheme and thinking to fit the talent.

The context for me is that this team has no real football leadership at its head. Remember Gibbs II he referred to Mr. Snyder as "Daniel" because as a real football man with a legacy he commanded respect from Snyder.

So would Shannahan, or Cowher. But Zorn? He's no Gibbs. Zorn believes in what he's doing to a fault. And so does the team ownership. They need to decide on a football guy or two, empower them to run the team, and get out of their way. Snyder should understand this: Investments sometimes take a little time and a little bit of faith in your ability to pick the right investment.

I never thought I'd say this but Snyder, he's no Jerry Jones!

Posted by: BenThere | September 23, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Portis is right about everything here except for the part about the 'outsiders' not knowing anything about football.

Informed commentators such as Ron Jaworski and Joe Theismann have pointed out some of the playcalling and other shortcomings on offense so far and I think their careers and intelligence warrant listening to.

In that discussion, Jim Zorn is the guy that comes off as inexperienced and perhaps lacking some perspective.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 23, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, being in Washington this week is similar to what it must have been like in the days before the Berlin Wall fell in East Germany. This explosion of anger that's been pouring out in the last few days at Snyder and everything that's been wrong with this team the last decade is amazing to watch, like the beginning of some kind of revolution. Not sure where it's going to end up, but it is compelling to watch.

Posted by: TheFingerman | September 23, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

check out remys video!!

Posted by: nattylite88 | September 23, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

BenThere wrote:
"Six coaches in ten years. Turner, Robiskie, Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, and Zorn. That's an average of a head coach every 1.66 years. The Skins don't build. They're constantly morphing. No leadership, no consistency at the helm. Best we had was Gibbs II."

When ownership took over from the Cooke family, they had every reason and every right to change direction. While I think that they should have let Mr. Turner complete the season, everyone knew Mr. Snyder was a Redskins fan and wanted Joe Gibbs to return (Mr. Gibbs didn't want to at the time) and Mr. Turner was gone. All anyone should have expected of the Robiskie tenure was until the end of the season. I understand the difference regarding the Schottenheimer tenure; he wanted more than ownership/management wanted to give in the way of control. But, if Mr. Spurrier was a successful coach while in Washington, he'd still be head coach unless Mr. Gibbs expressed a desire to return (I don't believe, if Mr. Spurrier was successful that Mr. Snyder would have gone after Mr. Gibbs; however, Mr. Snyder appealed to Mr. Gibbs pride in the Redskins to return and bring them team to "glory".). Mr. Gibbs, with time remaining on his contracted, decided on his own to resign. Hard to blame everything on the Redskins ownership/management.

Could it have been done better, or with less coaches? Yeah, but not by much considering the circumstances.

I'd say it should have been
Turner (complete his season), Shcottenheimer (who leaves for the reasons he didn), and Spurrier (who, would still be here if he were successful; even remotely successful). And maybe someone else after Spurrier, depending how long Spurrier remained interested in the job (which I don't think would have been very long). That's still four, for legitimate reasons.
dungarees@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | September 23, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Too much spin off the field means too little action on the field.

I hope at some point everyone will stop trying to justify this or that Redskins shortcoming. And agree that at some level, whether it be the players, coaches and staff, or top management/ownership, the Redskins are broken. Just plain broken! They're not the only broken team in the NFL, but you can count on them making the list every year. I've been a fan since I was 4 years old--my first stocking cap (the kind with a little fuzzy ball on top) was a 'skins cap. But lately I've been watching more exciting, better run, more talented teams. You know the ones.

In fact, lately, I've passed on freebie box seats a number of times.

Portis is worried about people getting pissed because the Sunday show is not worth $700. In my mind, it's not even worth going to when it's FREE.

Posted by: cash-less | September 23, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

CP sounds like George Thorogood: "Everybody funny...now you funny too..."

This is why we need to keep CP around, no matter who else comes or goes -- CP keeps it real and what you see is what you get with him. Refreshing in these days of overpaid crybaby athletes...

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | September 23, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Dungarees: I get it. Point well taken. However, the most successful of those coaches WAS coach Gibbs. Gibbs is a true football man with a hall of fame legacy behind him. We all know that. Snyder said he'd learned a lot from Gibbs during Gibbs' second tenure with the team. Well what the heck did he learn?

How could anyone in their right mind elevate a QB coach with no experience at all even as a coordinator, to be the head coach of this team? It was a huge mistake!
Hindsight is 20/20 true. But Zorn is a disaster.

Not that my opinion counts for anything but, this is the NFC EAST. There's only one successful brand of football over here. It's called SMASHMOUTH! Gibbs got it the first time around after the 0 and 5 start. The game at it's simplest form: blocking and tackling.

Ooops, Randy's out for the rest of the season. there goes one part of the equation. the blocking part. But the same guys that hired Zorn also FAILED TO DRAFT EVEN ONE OFFENSIVE LINEMAN THIS YEAR! Wow go figure.

Zorn will last the year just because there's no one on the team to take his place. But they'd better hire someone with a professional football pedigree or it'll be more of the same.

Fans are already walking away.......

Posted by: BenThere | September 23, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

jrbell84

At the same time I am tired of fans that think they pay for a ticket so they are entitled to more than any other sports fans gets. Cleveland fans pay for tickets, So do NY, Dallas, Tampa, Seattle. They dont get all they want either. If you think as a fan you are entitled to something based on paying for a ticket then dont pay for one. You pay to watch a football game. A game has competitors who try to beat each other. You ticket does not guarantee success one way or another. You are paying to see two teams compete. You are not paying for a movie or a dinner. Those things are suppose to be good based on there is nothing stopping the people who make them from making them good. The skins actually play against someone with the same goals and ambition as they have. If teams won based on fans expectations based on what they pay to see the games the skins and the yankees would win championships every year. They spend the big money for the players just like you spend money for the tickets. You think Snyder paid 40 million to Haynesworth because he does not care about winning just getting you to buy a ticket? The skins are one of 32 franchises in the league who have the same goal as they and their fans do. Why do we think we are any more entitled than Cleveland. Their fans to me are more loyal thus more entitled than our fans. They dont bail on their team and they have never even been to a superbowl. Just like the team needs to improve, so do the fans. Any time we act so entitled that we boo them after they win the game now. That to me is a poor fan base. We have become dallas cowboy like fans. We can only support them if they are winning. Remember how cowboys fans bailed on them during the 80's and early 90's because they no longer were winning playoff games and superbowls? Thats us right now.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

[its really quite clear now....Portis says "everybody want touchdowns. Everybody want to go to the Pro Bowl. Everybody want to win."

Posted by: outrbnksm | September 23, 2009 4:16 PM]

Please keep CP's comments in context. He was referring to fans' complaints of lack of excitement upon paying so much $$$ to watch a game, regardless of a win or not. He was NOT merely stating his personal goals for the season, as you imply. Look at his words IN CONTEXT.

Posted by: GoTeamGoTeamGooooooTeamYay | September 23, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

The_Spear

Vinny's success has been mixed, mostly because of snyder getting too hands on more than his ability to pick decent talent. Most of Vinny's draft picks since he has been here has had success and are still playing in the league. So they are not that bad. The free agent picks is where he gets bad reviews because that is when snyder gets more involved. If you look up Vinny's bio he is a football guy. His problem is he is a good buddy of the owner instead of the owner hiring him and letting him work with the coach in picking personnel and just signing the checks. Samuels, Cooley, Portis, Rogers, Moss, Orakpo, Haynesworth and others are all good personnel decisions by Vinny. You know most of those sexy but over the hill picks were snyders call to sell the team to fans. The difference between JKC and Snyder is Jack kept his distance and trusted his GM and coach. Snyder doing the same would be an overall improvement for the team. Maybe one day he will have the wisdom to be an owner more like JKC or the Rooneys and less like Jerry Jones.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

CP is right, but football has evolved to become more focused on the business side:

Building name brands (CP is one for example), used in products, video games, FFB and ads.

Making cash (since the cost of business has risen)

Payouts to management

Supporting the gambling industry (predictable and boring is BETTER).

The NFL itself has lost the entertainment value we all loved in the 1st place since 2004.

And now you know why Los Angeles has NO NFL teams.

Posted by: recharged95 | September 23, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

CP is 100% accurate. I'm a die-hard Skins fan from 1980. I'm a season ticket holder who lives in NYC. I come down from NYC to most home games. Now, I 100% regret renewing my tickets for this year. I'm fed with up the Snyder regime. The poor and below average play over the past 10 years is something I can deal with. But, the excessive fees for taxes on tickets, increases to food concession prices, and continuous price increases for parking is unforgivable.

Parking for Giants/Jets season passes are only $20 in a market thats significantly more expensive in DC. Yet, its $35 for a pass for Redskins games?! Thats ridiculous.

I didn't even bother watching the game at a local NYC bar last week. True diehard Redskins fans are losing interest, mainly due to the marketing maximization profit strategy employed by Snyder.

Redskins can boast a large waiting list, but, how many true fans are you losing from coming to game day?? The impact on the Redskins brand has been quite negative over the past few years.

Its due to the unfair treatment of fans, The Redskins have (by far) the worst NFL game day experience. From parking costs, to parking attendants, to stadium, etc...

I love the Redskins, but, I can't bear to see what the brand has become.

Posted by: billz1 | September 23, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

jgperras
I live in Portland Oregon now and I am in the same boat. People think it's hard being a skins fan in DC, try supporting from miles away. I spent almost 500 dollars for one ticket and gas to see them lose in Seattle in the first round with Coach Gibbs. In light of Joes departure soon after, it was worth it...but I didn't go up last year, because I could watch it at home; which is a rarity. I really like Zorn, as he brings a great NW vibe to such an uptight area; but I don't think he has command of the squad. I'd love to keep him on the offensive staff and bring in Shanahan; whom I think is a PERFECT fit for us.

Posted by: Bunyan_PDX | September 23, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

BenThere

I agree that zorn was not ready to be a head coach. But now that he is here I dont think he has done half bad based on his lack of experience but i do agree that he was not the right man for this job. We did not need a coach who is learning with all the pressure on this team to win right now. But we have him and I think we should stick with him at least until his contract runs. Bailing on him does not make the organization look good for the next candidate who is thinking about taking the job. We wont get the coach we want because Snyder does not want to give up control of the team. Thats why he cant get cower or shanahan or even fossel last year. They know the GM has his hands tied by an owner who thinks he knows enough to be involved in the personnel decisions. Coaches hate that. Heck the only time they want an owner involved is when they have no choice. Thats when the GM and the coach cant agree on a player pick and the owner has the final say like in the case of Gibbs and Beathard. Cook would only get involved if they could not agree. He hired Zorn as coach because he knew he could still control the player decisions and blame zorn if the team is not successful and get rid of him when the coach he really wants decides to take the job. I think Snyder's worse nightmare is Zorn and Campbell actually being successful enough to be popular with fans but not successful enough to take the team to championship level. If they go 10-6 or even 9-7, make the playoffs, win a game or two but get knocked off fans will be behind Zorn and Snyder will look like a goof if he fires or gets rid of either. He wont hire Cower or Shanahan because his ego wont allow him to step back and allow them to run the team. Snyder is like Jerry Jones. Not only does he want to win, he wants to claim he is the reason they won. Like Jones, snyder went out and hired a legendary coach that knew football to get back some credibility with fans and learn a little something from those coaches knowing that they would bring the team some success and a ton of optimism from fans while they were there but the bottom line is both snyder and jones want to control the teams. Thats why they end up hiring guys like Zorn and Wade Phillips. Guys who cant demand power from the owners. Dont count on Cower being here as long as snyder is still trying to control the team decisions directly or through Vinny.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

ged,
posting for my jrbell84 account at home, I didnt say successful I said competent. Portis said that we boo or talk trash because we think we are better. I'm saying that we all know what a team is capable of especially after eight years. We haven't had a top ten offense since NORV TURNER! It's not about a poor fan base. I have Nationals season tickets and of course I know when I go there that im not guaranteed winning but this is the mandate this team set! NFC East or bust. WE have been given every excuse in the world. It's put up or shut up time and you can even see by the players comments that some of them dont think their expectations are that high.

Supporting your team doesnt mean you can't boo. Supporting your team means spending your hard earned sometimes McDonalds money to be at the games. It means losing your entire Sunday to be at a game because you hope they will win and they stink it up. Don't tell me that a fan cant disapprove and set expectations. Enough is enough. How about you fans who don't live and breath the Redskins get out the way because the rest of us are going to get the players to understand what it means to play for this base. This passionate base. To me its actually deplorable for you to go at other fans because we won't accept losing.

Posted by: atruesportsjunkie | September 23, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

jgperras

I agree that Zorn should stay even if they hired another coach because he is a good QB coach. We may knock JC but I have seen him improve since he has been under Zorn and I think he will be a successful QB in the league at some point. Maybe even this year. I like Zorn as a coach but I think he is in a bad position coaching the skins because of the expectations here. He has no leaning curve in the NFC east. The teams are tough and the fans are tougher. He actually should have stayed on with Seattle. They may have made him the head coach after Mike retired. He could have gone 8-8 and the fans would not have wanted him fired there. In the NFC east, you cant go 500 and keep your job. Too much expectations.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Zorn gets ripped because of his week resume prior to Skins head coach. But his performance is no worse than Gibbs II, Spurrier, Marty and Norv. The problem is a poor organization ... and no Bill Cowher or Mike Shanahan is gonna change that.

Posted by: loux24 | September 23, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow Steinz Larry Michael is ripping Da Post right now. Wonder if he's referencing your coverage?

Posted by: skinzfan4 | September 23, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

The other problem is stupid comments like Portis saying "I really do think on paper we've got the most talented team in the NFL."

Uhhh, no you don't. You would not be about .500 every single year if that was the case. What you have is well paid "stars" at some key positions.

Posted by: loux24 | September 23, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

atruesportsjunkie

I am a skins fan, thats why I would not bail on them based on them not winning. Dont you know there were season ticket holders when the skins were lousier than they are now? I am a real skins fan. I like them before George Allen, were you even born then? Anyway, dont buy the tickets, watch it at home, like some of us true fans who arent doctors, lawyers or have some connection with a capital hill lobbyist does. What you are more a fan than me because financially you can afford a season ticket? That does not make you more a fan, that just means you may be more financially successful. I guess if you can donate more money on sunday to a church that makes you more in touch with GOD? Typical of wine and cheese skins fan. Think they are more a fan because they can afford a ticket. Take a note from Packers fans, who until 1996 had not had a championship team since Lombardi was coach and until Farve's last season there had not done much since 1997. But their fans not only buy season tickets year after year but they sit in the cold with a foam piece of cheese on their heads cheering like hell for a team that probably wont make it past the first round of the playoffs. Yes, packers fans are now accustom to success just like us skins fans were. But they dont bail on their team based on I have season tickets and I demand winning because of it or else. If you can no longer afford the tickets sell them but dont use it as an excuse to be disloyal. I will respect a packer fan booing because they sit in 10 degree weather all day to watch their team, win or lose. In DC we treat our sports teams the way we treat our politicians, with cynical contempt when they are not winning all the time.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, Portis says that "...take some of these people and put 'em on the field and let them try to execute, let them go and get their bell rung, let them pick up a blitz, let them try to catch a pass in traffic, let them be Jason Campbell and sit back and try to throw a pass while pressure is on. And I really would love to see how they execute. should try to throw a pass."

Here is my question then to him: Why are teams like the Ravens, Patriots, 49ers, Colts, Falcons, Jets, Dolphins, Cardinals, Steelers, Chargers, Cowboys, etc. etc. etc. able to do these things???

Posted by: louisdasch | September 23, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Fairweather fans = worst human beings on earth

Posted by: Barno1 | September 23, 2009 3:13 PM
============================

Good ol' Barno back up on his soapbox lecturing the rest of us on how to be "real fans."

Dude pulls this same stuff over on the Terps blog if anyone dares to question something .500-Fridge or Gary "THE GOD" Williams does.

Barno, come down, get off your #!*&ing cross, we need the #@)*ing space to nail the next fool martyr.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 23, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Any person who has the power to make an immediate impact on racism in America and do not act is a Heathen.

A lost fan of the pro football team that dwells in DC.

Posted by: knjon353 | September 23, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry to see CP turn on the fans. The same ones who fund his lavish B'Day gifts. Maybe next time I go into Starbucks and am unhappy about the coffee the 'barista' will tell me what a lousy customer I am. Or, maybe I'll get a free cup of coffee. Maybe CP can score a TD and shut everyone up. Until then, it doesn't help to bash your customers. Snyder knows this which is why he is a successful marketing guy and CP runs the football. (and his mouth). For me I paid $6 for NFL Redzone and now I can 'watch' all the NFL games on Sunday at home drinking my own beverage, and eating my own food, and won't risk getting urinated on by a drunken fan in the bathroom. Somehow the old teams didn't talk so much - Hanburger, Fisher, Larry Brown, Art Monk, Joe T.(OK Joe T has always talked)and Riggo among others. Take the money you'd spend on going to the game and buy an HD TV. It's OK to root for the Ravens AND the Redskins, and the Steelers, etc. You're watching the best athletes in the world compete. Since the owners and players see it as a business why should we see it any different?

Posted by: bfjam | September 23, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Furthermore, why is Jim Zorn the coach? Is it a white thing like the Giants decided. Huuum good luck with that.

Posted by: knjon353 | September 23, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are just sad... I hope they lose to the Lions, because that will really put the light on the fraud that Little Danny and Vinny the Idiot are perpetuating here. They don't know football.. they never have. But I suspect that the Napoleon complex Little Danny is carrying around will never let him realize that.. which is sad for us fans.

Posted by: john65001 | September 23, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

atruesportsjunkie

My advise, since the skins arent meeting your expectations based on the price you pay for a season ticket and sense of entitlement because of that? Pick another team, perhaps Baltimore, the tickets are cheaper, its right up the beltway and hey, they are 2-0. Get on the Ravens bandwagon, they will meet your immediate demands of no losing. And currently they are a better team than the skins. Should be much easier than being a skins fan right? You can sit back and know that your team is earning your money. The truth of the matter is, the only fans that are truly happy at the end of a season are the ones whos team wins the last game. Do you take any constellation in the skins making superbowl XVIII? You dont even think about them being 17-3 that year do you? All you remember is 38-9 and Marcus Allen running.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop

He is right, most of these people are people who moved here and werent even around in the 80's who do the most complaining and protesting. They have no patients at anything. They are use to instant everything from their banking to their internet to their sports. They cant tolerate imperfection or waiting for success. Yet they are imperfect themselves. I love all my local sports teams, win or lose. Thats the mark of a real fan. Sorry Poopy. Thats real. If you need all your favorite sports teams to win for you to be a loyal fan then you will always be a fair weathered fan. I bet everyone is a caps fan now arent they? They were not five years ago when Ted Leonis punched a fan in the face for bringing in derogatory signs. But its always easy to be a fan of a winner. A real fans sticks with the team win or lose. I guess you bail on your friends if they lose their jobs too.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I got de-friended & blocked by Chris Cooley's bro, Tanner Cooley on Facebook. On Sunday he posted a pic of a car with: "Redskin Girls Do It Better". After the game I said, "Well at least they can score!" That was all she wrote! LOL! Talk about being thin-skinned! Hey, I think I just came up with a new politically correct nickname!!!

Posted by: louisdasch | September 23, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

**Disclaimer** Snyder has not a clue how to put a good team together from an ownership perspective.

Now, Portis should just shut up and concentrate on getting his ypc average up to a rescpectable number. Dude is not getting the job done so far this season.

Posted by: sjp879 | September 23, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I have been posting all along this team does not have the talent, from the FO down to the coaching staff to the "talent" on the field to compete weeek in, week out. I have stopped watching the games and have come to the point where I really don't care anymore. I particpate in these forums just to have a little fun and to vent my frustration.

A winning organization starts at the top and the Redskins are woeful at the top.

They are the laughing stock of the league and probably the worst run pro sports franchise when one considers the money Snyder has paid for coaches and players and the wins the team has had since he owned the team.

Things will never change as long as he owns the team because he continues to make money and is not big enough to admit what he doesn't know and bring in professionals to run the team and win games consistently.

Look at what he has done in other entertainment businesses. He backed Tom Cruise who's washed up an an actor ( if he ever was one) and he made the situation at Six Flags worse.

Anybody who believes things will eventually get better with Snyder owning the team is delusional.

Posted by: pjente | September 23, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop

Posted by: ged0386 | September 23, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Well said. Poop pulls the same stuff on TerpInsider...he likes to brag about how many hallucinogens he has done...he doesn't realize this, but it shows.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 23, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

portis is a chump. he talks out of the both sides of his mouth. go on and play your cirrus act. you are no different then o'cinco and to. time sin dc have gone poorly when this is the spokesman to the fans.

Posted by: funkey | September 23, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 - CANT agree with you sir. In fact, YOU are the reason why Snydergoon can completely mismanage this team, mismanage the draft, sell out to corporate sponsors, destroy the game day experience and ruin the once proud franchise. WHY? Because idiots like you will pay and support this team no matter whay Snyder does. So whats his incentive to properly manage the skins and bring us back to glory when idiots "Fans" like you are around? NOTHING. Im through supporting this crappy franchise. Good luck watching this team be 6-10 or worse the next 40 years under this dirt bag owner...

Posted by: KevinDunne | September 23, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I love clinton portis. It's a shame he wasted his best years with this crappy franchise but I"m not crying for him and his 50Million that he made.
I say it everytime, why doesn't the post cover more of the Ravens. I know it's baltimore but at least give them coverage comparable to the Orioles. They are becoming a class team and the way they drafted the last couple of years they are poised to make a 5 year run toward's title's. Hit Snyder where it hurts spend your money on local team that care's about it's fans and runs a PROFESSIONAL NFL organization. I know the diehards will never leave but the casual fan is CRAZY if they spend a nickel on the skins instead of they other local team in the DMV! Give them some local press and stop wasting your breath on a CLASSLESS ORGANIZATION. GO SEE TRay G.O.A.T Lewis play before he retires. Most of you don't livein DC and it takes 50 minutes to be at a tailgate at M&T or visiting local bars before and after the game... Signed

JOE FLACCO!

Posted by: jdb70 | September 23, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KevinDunne | September 23, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, like it or not, you are the worst kind of fan and the team is better off without you. The team has one losing season since 2004 and you make absurd proclamations like this team will be "6-10 or worse the next 40 years." You believe in absolutely ridiculous conspiracy theories like Snyder has no incentive to bring the team back to glory.

I am more than happy for the Redskins to lose fake *ss fairweather fans like you. You were right about one thing though, no matter what Snyder does, I will always support my Redskins.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 23, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Clinton,
I appreciate your candid response to the questions. However, you professional athletes have been given God given physical skills. We readers and fans have not. We also do not make millions of dollars a year playing a physically demanding game. You would like to see us in your position and how we would respond to the pressure?? I would like to see you and some of your teammates have to work a real job maybe you all would put out to the potential that you are payed kinetically? I believe you and the group of Redskins are a bunch of ""I's"" and don't ever win squat. You and your coaches and teammates always play to the level of your competition. Please try to win as a team and stop your crying about the fans booing you. Score some points, win some games or feel the wrath of the fans for your substandard efforts.

Posted by: jb3812121 | September 23, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

"I really do think on paper we've got the most talented team in the NFL."

That would have to be rolling paper.

Posted by: gbooksdc | September 23, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Barno: Take off the burgundy and gold glasses and look around. Lots of fans are bailing. I haven't bailed yet but the passion is not there as much as it was before Snyder took over.

Before you start calling out fans who are getting sick of Snyder, let me give you this little piece of advice:

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty
-Edward R. Murrow

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 23, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Randy,

Give me a f'ing break. There is nothing wrong with dissent. No one, I repeat no one, has said there shouldn't be dissent. However, fans that say they're going to quit rooting for the team or those that have already bailed, the team is better off without fans like that.

There are plenty of teams in the NFL. If you don't want to root for the Redskins, feel free to take your fairweather fandom elsewhere.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 24, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

I vote we fire Greg Blache.

Posted by: FudgeDanSnyder | September 24, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

CP would be a hell of a lot more convincing if he walked the walk. But the man barely shows for practice -- and then blames others when he can't get it done on game day. And that's all too typical of the attitude pervading throughout this team -- they're content with losing because nobody gives a damn.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 24, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse