Robert Henson Apologizes

A crowd of reporters gathered around Robert Henson's stall during Monday's open locker room session, and a PR staffer hovered nearby. Eventually, it was decided that the backup linebacker would address the media after team meetings, making him the last player to talk to the media on this day. Above a dozen reporters gathered around him, and one jokingly said "this is exciting," since Henson doesn't usually attract such a crowd.

"No it's not," Henson said. "It's the negative kind of media you don't want."

And then, he apologized for his multiple Tweets directed at fans following Sunday's win, which had prompted a strong reaction from some fans and analysts.

"I understand the weight that my words carried and how I offended some fans, and for that again I apologize," Henson said. "I updated my Twitter, updated everything else, every other social network I was on, saying that I apologize, and not because I'm scared, but just because it was the right thing to do. And I sincerely apologize to all the fans. I hope to have a long, prosperous career here, and I don't want anybody booing me or being negative towards me. Because if you seen me in training camp, I sat out there for hours signing autographs, because I love to do this, and the fans are really what keep me going."

He said several older teammates had talked to him on Monday, explaining where he went wrong. Phillip Daniels saw Henson's comments on Sunday night and said he immediately began shaking his head, knowing what would come next. Daniels said he hopes fans won't hold this episode against Henson.

"I think Robert knows he made a mistake," Daniels said. "He's young, and sometimes you say things you don't mean. You're arguing with a person on there, and you don't realize that everybody can see what you're saying, and then things get bad. I've had this happen before, a guy said something about fans when I was in Chicago, I think he said something about the fans and everything went bad for him. But at the same time, I think Robert's young, he ain't played yet, he's got to realize that the fans actually pay your salary. They come to the games, they support us. They just want production. They just want us to put more points on a team like the Rams."

DeAngelo Hall, who's been active on Twitter himself, said that players need to be honest in social media settings, but shouldn't write when they're emotional. He also said Henson doesn't have enough of a name to be sounding off.

"I don't think he's done enough in this league to be out here talking [junk] about anything," Hall said. "He probably shouldn't have said those exact words, but I'm a firm believer that a person can say what they want to say if it's honest, if it's true. Don't just be talking to be talking."

Henson had written on Twitter that objects were thrown at him on the field, but he declined to provide specifics on Monday. Several other players said they hadn't seen any such behavior from fans, but other players had heard similar reports. And they all heard the booing.

"I'd have booed us too," Hall said. "I felt like booing us, with that [nonsense] we put out there. It was a win, but it was [nonsense]."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 21, 2009; 1:49 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins (Jokingly) Question Campbell's Decision Making
Next: Sonny Jurgensen Jousts With Jim Zorn

Comments

[nonsense] = "malarkey," right?

Posted by: offbeatdude | September 21, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

is it ok to boo on 3rd and goal from the 9 when you hand the ball to CP to watch him throw an incomplete pass in the endzone that fooled nobody? Was anyone thinking we would actually run the ball on third and goal from the 9? Are you kidding me?

And who is Robert Henson again? What a joke this franchise is becoming.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

And who is Robert Henson again? What a joke this franchise is becoming.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

The dude who thinks that 92,000 McDonald's employees are entering FedEx field each week.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Henson is a supreme d-bag...seriously, tweet all that you want when you have done something, otherwise STFU! This is not a free speech issue, but you need to be prepared when people object to what you are saying. However, unless Henson turns into Ray Lewis in the coming weeks and months I would expect him to get slapped by fans on a regular basis.

Posted by: skipper7 | September 21, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

And who is Robert Henson again? What a joke this franchise is becoming.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | September 21, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 21, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Clearly he hasn't seen the ticket prices and how much everything costs at FedEx if he thinks McDonald's employees can even afford season tickets.

Posted by: rawk | September 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to say Robert is not being truthful when he claims objects were thrown at the players from fans on Sunday and that some hit him. This did not happen. Period. There would have been a riot in the crowd if people were throwing objects at Redskins players at Fed Ex.

Steinberg, I hope you follow up with him on this claim and grill him on it.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

snyder's PR Agency's accounts payable department, loves Robert Henson.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson should know 2 things.

1 - The Redskins, and their fans, were here long before you.

2 - The Redskins, and their fans, will be here long after your 3 year career ends.

Posted by: colerwilson | September 21, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

It's great that he keeps apologizing. He clearly realized pretty quickly that he had made a big mistake.

But it looks like he's just apologizing for lashing out. It would be one thing if his Twitter had said. "Eff you Skins fans!" He didn't. The manner in which he lashed out is what he needs to be apologizing for:

1. He doesn't get that the people in the stands paid an insane amount of money to be there.

2. He doesn't get that working 9 to 5 at McDonald's isn't an insult, and those people certainly don't deserve to be spit on. These people work hard and deliver results. If only the Redskins could say as much.

3. He doesn't get that your salary doesn't define your intelligence or worth. The fact that you're making the NFL minimum doesn't make you special.

Posted by: Tank2 | September 21, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope he got a degree when he was in college.
How many of his jerseys are stores selling.
lol

Posted by: jmy999 | September 21, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Okay, let's move on folks. Let's not write the guy off. Chalk it up to a "rookie" mistake that won't happen again. Twitter is new to Henson, the NFL is new to Henson, the demanding (as we should be!) Skins fans are new to him. He was probably just as shocked as the rest of us were hearing the boos on TV -- well, just initially and then you realize the Skins -- mostly Zorn -- deserved it. It kills me as a diehard Skins fan to even think about booing my team, but just every now and then they need a slap in the face to wake up against one of the weakest teams in the NFL.

Posted by: kdk2 | September 21, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Jim Henson(creator of the muppets) has more street cred than this bum Robert Henson.

The Skins should cut him and then blackball him from the league and then he'll be forced to work at McDonald's.......

Posted by: ENJOYA | September 21, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

F that clown. Good Riddance! And for that matter, good riddance to Snyder, Cerrato, Zorn, Portis, Moss, Sellers, and the bums they drafted last year. THE PLAN ISN'T WORKING SO PLEASE CHANGE COURSES!!! Sell the team Snyder so we can get some real football people here.

Posted by: 1chazmo | September 21, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

What a joke this franchise is becoming? This franchise 'unfortunately' became a joke long ago. I know a lot of us were fighting to keep the franchise in the jack Kent Cooke family. But the majority (don't forget) were saying we need Danny Snyder, we need his fresh money and ideas. See the "fresh money" got us Deon Sanders, Adam Archuleta, Bruce Smith, and that WR who couldn't catch!

Posted by: madstamina | September 21, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I am a die hard Redskin fan and I will always be a Redskin fan. I'm currently living in San Antonio, Texas so in order to watch the games I had to subscribe to the NFL Ticket on DirectTV. Last year I cancelled my NFL Ticket subscription and this year I haven't watched any of the games played by the Redskins. I have a lot more free time on Sundays but I miss following the team. Maybe if we got a new owner I would consider following them again. I know Dan Snyder wants to win and that he spends a lot of money trying to win a championship but it seems like he is not a good football owner.

Posted by: pe966 | September 21, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

That dude is lying to make his rant seem more acceptable.

No one was throwing stuff at the Redskins players. Please qualify this further.

Posted by: jahs4fun | September 21, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

If the players and staff are upset at the booing yesterday, I have a solution for them that would turn the boos to cheers, regardless of how poorly they play. Offer to take over the remaining years on the premium and other over-priced seats contracts that many loyal Redskins fans can no longer afford nor can they cancel such deals. That way you get rid of the so called booers and put your closest personal friends in those seats, friends who would cheer on your efforts, or as we have seen too often, lack there of, for scoring and winning.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | September 21, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

That was a good response if he actually wrote that himself which I highly doubt.

Posted by: whomp1 | September 21, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

BTW, didn't Zorn (the only man I know who can see the upside to a sinkhole) say last week that the offense wasn't designed to score just FGs (or something to that effect). After yesterday's play calling inside the redzone, I'm not sure he was wrong in his previous statement. Maybe the offense is designed not to score TDs.

I'm not having high hopes for a victory in Detroit.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | September 21, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I thin kthe fans have the right to boo if they want, but it usually doesn't help anybody.

Our coach doesn't seem to be listenning right now

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 21, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll buy Henson's jersey.
I generally don't post on thiese boards because you guys are all more interested in silly and obnoxious commentary than you are amture analysis. For example, mature analysis would show that both of Zorn's calls to go for it on fourth down were correct. But more important is to wonder why all you jerks have such a sense of entitlement that you would boo players who are trying their hardest to jell, who are trying so hard to overcome the tragic loss of their best offensive lineman and who are led by a quarterback who had a fine game, threw conservatively, had no interceptions, never hit one of his teammates on their feet. I humbly suggest you guys take a good luck at yourselves and wonder why you are responding so angrily to some poor kid who is trying hard to contribute to his team and who was astonished as I was. He heard the Redskins had good fans. I'm not sure they ever did. But they really suck now.

Posted by: richardshaker | September 21, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

A Redskins fan since 1972, I personally didn't get the least bit upset by Henson's remarks. He has some pride, which is more than one can say about the younger generation of Redskins fans...very much like their uncouth "brethren" in Philly

Posted by: chief_redskin_fan | September 21, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Hall. There should be a meeting tomorrow with the entire team where his comments should be read over and over and over. Maybe the Danny will show up to that one as well.

Posted by: nigt | September 21, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the @RedskinsLB51 twitter account is no more...

Posted by: littles_ | September 22, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey! Robert Henson! I wasn't at the stadium but I might have actually booed also. As for so called fan, I was a Skins fan long before the best part of you ran down your dads leg!!.

Posted by: rjohnson66 | September 22, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Mike Greenberg of Mike & Mike fame went off today on Henson, they must have devoted at least 30 minutes of on air time to Henson's tweets. Greenberg had a 90 second rant that they played at least twice and possibly three times. I had to change the station as it was getting annoying.

Posted by: tedunni1 | September 22, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

6th round out of TCU - Robert Henson enjoy it now because you are just one knee injury, night club shooting, or drug possession away from working 9 to 5 at McDonald's.

Posted by: screwjob1 | September 22, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Geez. Brutal. I've met Henson and went to dinner with him and his wife on one occasion. His emotions got the better of him, but let's give the kid break. We're making him the scapegoat for a terrible performance on Sunday.

Posted by: HogsHaven | September 22, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse