Robert Henson vs. Redskins Fans vs. B-Mitch

Since it can get kind of confusing to read all these comments in backward chronological order off Robert Henson's Twitter page, I thought I should consolidate his words. Leaving out some of the replies to specific fans, which don't make sense out of context, here were the backup linebacker's general thoughts. Bear in mind these were written over a period of several hours, and not in one burst.

All you fake half hearted Skins fan can .. I won't go there but I dislike you very strongly, don't come to Fed Ex to boo dim wits!! No I didn't play but I still made more than you in a year and you'd [gladly] switch spots with me in a second, I was talking to the fans [who] said the crazy stuff, I'm use [to] heckling but I've never been booed in my own stadium. Again that was for the half hearted but if everyone wants to jump in come on.

The question is who are you to say you know what's best for the team and you work 9 to 5 at Mcdonalds. You don't wanna follow me anymore then fine but we play for you and win lose or draw we represent you!! My guy on the Rams said they never got booed even when they didn't win a game. We made mistakes out there but we fought through them tooth and nail.

I love this city and the rich tradition, it makes me play and study harder. Because I wanna be apart of the history, you guys can bash me. To all the fans who still love us thanks and we play hard for you!! I guess I'm disappointed that I stayed for hours in training camp to sign autographs and take pics, because I am loyal to every true fan and it's crazy how u quickly jump off just not use to it....

If don't like 51 then it's cool no harm done, I've just heard how teams dreaded coming here because of how loyal the fans were so that's what I was expecting, I know I have a job bc of you and my hard work....I shouldn't have said the salary comment but I was once a poor kid chasing a dream so I apologize for that one but the rest stands. I understand the fans frustration but some people act like we aren't frustrated when we don't execute, great win today it's hard to win....

Listen Twitter family I was really upset about being booed and things being thrown at us and I said some things that were out of line. So keep supporting us and we will keep playing hard for you all again I'm sorry...I apologize for all earlier comments about and to the fans, I was hit with objects from the crowd and was frustrated. 1-1 looks good baby.

But of course, the headlining quote was the first one, about the dim wits and all that. That quote was the one that was flashed on the screen during Comcast SportsyNet's postgame show. Did the analysts react? Well, Brian Mitchell was one of the analysts, so yeah, kind of.

"Who the hell is Robert Henson?" B-Mitch asked. "First of all, I'll talk for the fans. Get on the field, Robert Henson. Make a play and make sure someone know who the hell you are. You can write on Twitter about me, but you know what, these fans pay your salary. They can boo you if they want to boo you, and when you don't play great, and when you're sitting at home watching the game, you damn sure can't get mad at the fans. So c'mon, give me a break. He is picking a battle he shouldn't pick. The NFL tried to save him from stupidity, from going after the fans. I advise him to shut his damn mouth and get on the football field...."

"I don't see his name on the stat sheet, so if I don't see your name on the stat sheet, you are not allowed to say anything," Mitchell continued. "If you're not playing, if you're not performing, you can't take a shot at anybody. Ok? So Robert Henson, shut up. Don't say anything else on Twitter."

"And I'll speak for his teammates," Trevor Matich added. "Robert Henson, the fans are the ones that pay our salary, for goodness sake. They're here because they cheer, they boo. You play. Let the fans take care of themselves, because it embarrasses the team when a player comes out and says things negative about those people that we exist to perform in front of."

"Well, Twitter is banned by the NFL for a reason," Antonio Freeman thirded. "Because you act on emotion, and sometimes your emotion is not the best message to give out to people. So, no more Twitter."

"Listen to me, these fans pay a lot of money," Mitchell concluded. "These fans have been given a lot of promises. You've been told by Jim Zorn and whoever else about we're gonna be ready to play offensively. They weren't booing everybody. They were booing the offense today. Believe me. And when you're booing the offense, the offense needs to step up and do their job, and the person that runs the offense is Jim Zorn. He's the head coach and also he calls the play. He needs to get his offense up to par with the defense. The fans have a right to do that."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 21, 2009; 9:21 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Redskins' Post-Rams Grumpiness
Next: The Full Redskins Rap

Comments

well, i booed the TV lustily and i have no idea who this guy is, but i hope this doesn't stop the players from tweeting. i quite enjoy @rockym52

Posted by: ewww | September 21, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

He needs to get in touch with reality, no one... I repeat no one, who works at a McDonalds will ever be able to afford going to a Redskins Game, shoot if you make a middle class income its probably more money you make in a week to go to a game.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 21, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

When the boss sues the fans, it's no surprise that the employees think the fans are dim wits.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | September 21, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Good Job B Mitchell - That was my first thought when I read the text. This guy did not get booed, he didn't play!

Posted by: armonroe | September 21, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

THE ANALYSTS ARE COMPLETELY CORRECT HERE! I tried not to boo... i really did... but the play calling is what made me start! I was booing Zorn moreso than the offense or defense.... Zorn better work miracles here in the coming weeks.

Posted by: dupa3 | September 21, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

For once I'm with B-Mitch 100%.

Posted by: JulzDC | September 21, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Cut this guy today!

Posted by: RedskinsReverend | September 21, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Apparently this player was thrown objects at by drunken fans:

"RedskinsLB51: I apologize for all earlier comments about and to the fans, I was hit with objects from the crowd and was frustrated. 1-1 looks good baby"

I fault the fans for not directing the objects at Zorn or Vinnie or Danny every home game!

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 21, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

You people that booed at the stadium yesterday, you are not real fans. TRUE FANS DO NOT BOO THEIR OWN TEAM AT HOME! If you want to boo a home team, go root for the Eagles. These are professional athletes that get paid to play football. Don't you think that they know that they are playing poorly? I assure you, they knew they needed to do better in the red zone. The last thing they need is to be booed by their own fans.

I was at the game yesterday and I was disgusted in more ways than one. I hated the fact that we couldn't score on a terrible Rams team. But I hated the booing even more. I got into a shouting match with some idiot that was booing the entire game. Why the hell do you even come to the games if you aren't going to support the team? I can't tell if the people that were booing were either complete idiots or just a-holes with a total lack of team respect and pride. Either way, the team has every right to be mad at the fans because the fans should not have booed their own team. By the way, in case no one noticed, out team defense was pretty darn good and WE WON THE GAME.

Posted by: MeatSweats | September 21, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

comment from an earlier thread:

"I was at the game. The booing at the end was because fans wanted them to run a play to score instead of kneeling. It was crazy. But that is what happens when you see Redskins have five possessions inside the red zone and come away with 9 points. The fans got restless..."

No, that is not restlessness, that is alcohol poisoning combined with natural stupidity. Only that combo could give rise to any fan's objection to closing out the game in the proper way.

If the Skins had tried to drive the ball on the last possession, no-one in the country would be talking about a win. They'd be talking about the Redskins introducing a whole new level of classlessness to professional sports, or about the Skins player who rightly got his neck snapped by an angry opponent, the life potentially lost in order to play to the maudlin, mama's boy emotions of the drunkest, stupidest fans in the country.

The Skins did all the right things in the fourth quarter. Portis *finally* came alive and saved the game with a heads-up fumble recovery. Campbell's play was above reproach, period. And Zorn made the right calls in that next-to-last possession -- it was worth the risk of not scoring 3 in order to keep the Rams pinned back. Running out the clock was 1000% the right move.

But once baby gets sh*t-faced drunk, and starts crying, none of that matters.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 21, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I support anyone who boos Randle-El returning punts or falling down without getting tackled. If you don't want to get hit, then football isn't the sport for you.

When you fair catch a punt and no one is within 10 yards of you, you better believe I'm going to boo you. And don't tell me who or who not to boo. You're not the boss of me.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 21, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

This is EXACTLY why I turn over to Comcast to watch the Redskins Post-game with B-mitch every week. B-mitch keeps it real, and he did again yesterday.

Stuff it, Henson -- listen to someone like B-mitch who knows what it takes to actually EARN respect rather than just to EXPECT it because you're an overpaid never-was benchwarmer.

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | September 21, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game and must admit I booed a few times. Sorry Redskins. But I love my team and to boo after a win is tasteless. I am sure they fought tooth and nail to win all though it wasn't easy. But a win is a win and I am ashamed of the fans. I have been a Redskins fan for 40 years and have been through sad seasons, but never gave up on them. Now this does not apply to Snyder whom I blame for some of the disgust. But will always be a faithful fan of the Redskins. Win or lose because I know no one wants to win the game more than the players.

Posted by: susan1722 | September 21, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if Henson played or not. It must be very frustrating to him. He owes me no apology! I love Brian Mitchell, but Henson is alloweed to speak his mind just as Brian is.

Posted by: susan1722 | September 21, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey doofus: I think you have to ACTUALLY PLAY AT LEAST ONE SNAP to be booed.

Posted by: nojunk4me | September 21, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

So Henson's thesis is based at least in part on the second-hand information from "his guy" that the Rams "never got booed even when they didn't win a game." Setting aside my skepticism about "never got booed," if it were true I'd say those Rams fans need to wake up. You gotta break the "booing your own team" glass in the event your team is as bad as the Rams have been. You just gotta.

But still: 3-13, 2-14... there had to be boos. There had to be boos.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 21, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 21, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

There are dozens of positions at McDonalds and McDonalds corporation with starting salaries above $50,000. A manager at your local McDonalds can make upwards of $70,000 a year.

Please get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

But still: 3-13, 2-14... there had to be boos. There had to be boos.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 21, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Definitely had to be boos. No way the people of St. Louis are that much more polite than the rest of the fans in this country.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"If the Skins had tried to drive the ball on the last possession, no-one in the country would be talking about a win. They'd be talking about the Redskins introducing a whole new level of classlessness to professional sports,"

---

This is exactly what the Ravens did to the Chiefs last week. They were already up by a TD with seconds left and made multiple attempts into the endzone for a final meaningless TD (that busted my KC +13, that's why I remembered it so vividly). There was no national outrage, there was no talk in the media about a "new level of classlessness" or whatever. Basically, you have no idea what you're talking about.

As far as the booing, I can't say I blame the fans. This area is a football town, we have great and loyal fans who have put up with a lot. I think the booing just signified a breaking point...

Danny finally did it, he broke us. The $50 parking that you can't tailgate at, the $8 beers and $5 sodas, the "obstructed view" seats, the traffic nightmare, just everything. It's all come to a head, I think Skins fans are finally going "Why do I put up with this?"

That said, I hope they weren't boing the players. I can't really find many problems with any of the players yesterday. I just thought the play-calling was horrendous. I was booing at my TV yesterday, but it was directed at the coaches and the front office. If the players get caught in the crossfire, they can cry into their piles of money.

Posted by: VTDuffman | September 21, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno,
If you think he was talking about a McDonalds manager then your crazy.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 21, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

comment from an earlier thread:

But once baby gets sh*t-faced drunk, and starts crying, none of that matters.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 21, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

OR, realizing that taking a knee signals the end of the game, the boos were for the overall performance?

Posted by: KShark28 | September 21, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

No question Henson is out of line and used the wrong format and wrong time and wrong words. However, in his defense (and this is actually part of his problem) he wasn't here last year or the the last several years when the lack of touchdowns in the red zone started the frustration that led fans to boo yesterday. I think that's the main reason it was he who wrote those twitter comments and not some other player who has been here and understands that frustration.

Not justifying his comments, or the boos, just my 2 cents on why he wrote those comments.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | September 21, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe some bet on the team and were flabbergasted they did not cover against the Rams.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 21, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse