Skins Fan Sells Fandom on eBay

More scenes from the Burgundy Revolution....as mentioned, I was off yesterday, so some of these aren't new.

* This isn't a unique gimmick, but it's a great gimmick nonetheless; a Redskins fan is selling his team loyalty on eBay. Asking price? $10,100.00. Here's the description:

After years of constantly being subjected to disappointment, bad decisions, bad draft picks,bad contracts, overpriced tickets and overall Mediocrity, I am deciding to sell my loyalty to the Washington Redskins for the rest of the 2009- 2010 NFL season. I will sell my "fan-ship" and support any of 30 teams.. Notice, I didn't say 31, because, I under no circumstances will I EVER root for the Dallas Cowboys.The Winning Bidder will get my undivided, unwavering support for their team for the rest of the season. SInce I have the Direct TV NFL Superfan Package, I will watch my new team's games and will cheer wholeheartedly for victory on sundays, even if it mean against my beloved redskins.. I will also support by purchasing the teams merchandise, including, but not limited to Jerseys, hats, flags and other team apparel. I will take pictures of myself in my new teams gear and send them to the winning big. Happy Bidding and good luck

Not exactly storming-the-barricades kind of stuff, to sell out to the highest enemy bidder, but it still captures something of the mood around town. Think one part anger, one part despair, and one part an ardent wish to set something on fire, preferably while using gasoline.

* Then there's this fellow, trying to sell one ticket to Sunday's game, on Craigslist. Since there are more than 170,000 people on the waiting list, all willing to offer at least one of their kidneys for a chance to get Skins tickets, I can't imagine this person will have much trouble, especially with a description like this:

1 ticket to see the only team in 20 games to get beaten by the Detroit Lions! I realize this is a terrible time to try to sell this ticket, but I'm going to be out of the country. I couldn't even get my own brother to take this ticket - that's how bad this situation is. If you are a Redskins fan, you have the awesome opportunity to see the offense stall out in the red zone multiple times and the defense literally fall over trying to catch receivers LIVE! If you're a Bucs fan, you're likely to see your team get its first win this season. I don't discriminate - I'll sell it to whoever. It's $80, face value (only because I need to make back a little of the $1000 I paid for season tickets this year - thanks Danny!) but I realize that may be a bit of a stretch, so if you make a decent offer (not $1, even though I'm sure that's all it's worth) I'll throw the ticket your way....Go Redskins...? No wait, Go Caps. Yeah, that's better.

* Every proper revolution has agents working on the inside, secretly plotting for the overthrow from within. In this revolution, the plots don't seem to be very secret. For example, the ESPN 980 Twitter feed retweeted John Riggins's "loser" epithet, tossed in the direction of Ownership. See the evidence at Stet Sports Blog.

* But that doesn't compare to Larry Weisman. Some have labeled the Skins' Editorial Director a "PR Man," but that does a gross injustice to his work this week as an internal agitator who might soon find himself minus a finger or two. One highlight:

Me? I would like to see a little anger somewhere. If the Redskins don't know it -- and I don't know how they could not -- they are the NFL's new mullets. The slaps. The team to abuse. Is there no pride? No sense of what it means to be a part of this team?....This team has enough veterans. What it lacks is heart, speed and quickness, not necessarily in that order but that's not a bad order to start with.

Elsewhere, he called the team's performance "inexcusable," and even blasted their pre-game preparation, describing the two teams thus: "One straight line, one squiggly mess. One team dressed for success, the other an unmade bed."

It's as savage as anything we've seen from the mainstream press, and if nothing else, it should cement the legitimacy of his editorial independence. Well done, Larry. Now watch your back.

* And with revolutionaries lighting fires and singing songs and carrying signs in every direction, Jim Zorn offered up this: an earnest belief that things are getting better. No, sir, they are not. For a detailed takedown of that particular coachism, see Mister Irrelevant. Savage does not do it justice.

* As for the quote of the season, hand it to London Fletcher, a man who gets it. Via AP:

"We're not a great football team -- never have been since I've been here -- and it hasn't been in a long time, since, what, the '80s? It's been a long time since the Redskins have had a great football team."

That, friends, smells like revolution.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 29, 2009; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaVar's Letter to Redskins Fans
Next: What to Do With Free Skins Tickets?

Comments

woot woooot!! wizards season (yes, i know it's training camp) starts today!

Posted by: 3tripleiii | September 29, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Danny and Vinny need to listen to London Fletcher. He's one of the handful of players out there Sunday that actually seemed to be playing with heart and passion.

Posted by: JulzDC | September 29, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Redskin's won't be winning with Jason Campbell and Zorn anytime soon.
LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: tURBO8 | September 29, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins need more London Fletchers.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | September 29, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

London Fletcher is an oddball on this team. He is the only one who plays with heart. The rest of them are getting paid so they have nothing to fear. If the coach makes them work, they'll go to their friend Danny and Danny will put the screws to Zorn. That's a pathetic run organization.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 29, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately London is old and will likely retire soon. We need Snyder to eat humble pie and hire a GM. With all the money wasted on former coaches and signing bonuses, Snyder can hire a cheap young GM who believes in the draft, scouting and developing young players. Dump Randy, Portis, Fat Buns Albert, Rabach, Daniels, Wynn, Griffin, and Carter. Start with the Linemen and build through the draft and hire local free agents like Hall. Keep underpaid free agents like London.

Posted by: jercha | September 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Dan & Vinny ... 10 YEARS OF CRAP FOOTBALL, THANKS FOR DESTROYING THE TEAM I GREW UP WATCHING.

PLEASE SELL THE TEAM DAN. JACK KENT COOKE IS ROLLING OVER.

Posted by: thesquire2 | September 29, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The on eRedskin I would love to hear from is Bobby mitchell.

He was in the FO for longer than just about anyone.

Mr. Mitchell - please speak up and provide some leadership to us fans!

Respectfully,
OLDNOVA

Posted by: oldnova | September 29, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Here's a little factoid most fanatics need to get their arms around.

Since 1937 the Redskins have made 21 apprearences in the playoffs, thats out of 72 years. If you do the math that makes it about a 30% success rate if you consider playoffs a successful season. In fact from 1946-1968 they only managed 3 winning seasons. In other words 70% of those 72 years didn't amount to squat. If you want to go further they have 5 championships during the same time period, thats about 6%. So not to sure why all of this gnashing of teeth and screaming bloody murder. The overall team record since 1932 is 508-478 with 23 ties for a .515 winning %.

Why does everyone expect to win the Super Bowl every year? The stats/history and league parity clearly says something different.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | September 29, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

When Weisman slams Danny for ruining this team in no uncertain terms then I'll believe the independence mumbo jumbo.

Posted by: SeanTizzy2DaHizzy | September 29, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Tippy: if it weren't for all of the "offseason championships" that the Redskins have won, you wouldn't hear much complaining, but you would hear indifference.

You don't hear too many people complain about the Wizards, because they don't spend a lot of money due to Abe's cheapness, and they know they're going to be bad.

However, Snyder spends money like water buying free agent after free agent. He refuses to hire a competent GM, but rather employs a puppet GM that is basically a yes man to Snyder. He boasts the conquest of many free agents and trades, yet all of the money spent does not equal to much on the field or in the standings.

The problem that the fans have is that there are so many teams that are going from bums to kings in a season or two (Atlanta, Jets, Cardinals, etc.), but Snyder keeps thinking money=championship. It doesn't always work out that way.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 29, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

"Why does everyone expect [The Redskins] to win the Super Bowl every year? The stats/history and league parity clearly says something different."

Why? Because Pittsburgh, New England and even Dallas keeps going to Super Bowls. I have only been a Redskins fan since 1973, so I do not care about pre-1973 stats. However, the Redskins were decent to follow prior to Danny Snyder but are "God-awful" to follow after Danny Snyder. Every "true" Redskins fan knows about the history of the franchise prior to Snyder and the NFL "system" that was in place consisting of an owner, GM and Head Coach. This system allows a foundation to be created via wise drafting and realistic addition of pieces by external talents. This, in turn, allow as brief of a rebuilding period as possible, while allowing a team to sustain winning seasons. But under Snyder, there has been no consistency even after 10 years and just more depressive realization of more change will be needed in the near future. If the previous blogger is correct in that the overall team record since 1932 is 508-478 (.515%), then if you take Snyder's 10 year record (77-86, so far) off the book, the Redskins overall team record will start to look even better (431-392, or .527%). In other words, whether Daniel Snyder likes it or not, his tenure has been a 10 year rebuilding process, and it is not even close to being finished. If his goal is to just have 1 Super Bowl run under his watch, then he fore-sight is definitely shorter than his stature.

Posted by: JohnWWW | September 29, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The Danny's gotta go, but how? The only way is if the Redskins lose their name, REDSKINS, through the courts or what have you, making the franchise less valuable. Without the trademark, Danny can't make the money. And the curse is removed by the greed that brought it on. I was born a Redskins fan a long time ago but it's time to change the name to save the franchise. "Deadskins" used to be the deal before Edward Bennett Williams took over. Before that George Preston Marshall wouldn't allow black players on the football team and they really stunk for years. Get rid of the Red and save the Skins!

Posted by: wingfat | September 29, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I hope he has to root for somebody terrible, like the Browns.

Posted by: futbolclif | September 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe this will be the season to appease the Native Americans and change the name?

Posted by: lummox1 | September 29, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Well people, we could go 1-15, then we will be the worse team in football. Until then, its week 4, One game at a time. A couple of seasons ago they were 5-7 won 5 straight made the playoffs and won a wildcard game. Two years ago, they lost to the bills on a penalty enhanced field goal based on Gibbs calling two straight timeouts when he had none. This was right after Sean Taylor had died. They ended up making the playoffs. Sell you tickets and give up on them. The giants fans did it the year they won the superbowl. Cardinals fans did it last year after not living up to disappointed fans expectations. Its week 4 people. Even if they dont win many games they are still my team.

Posted by: ged0386 | September 29, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

The name change isn't a bad idea it's hard to believe that something so blatently racist is still in use. I was born a skins fan and will die a skins fan but the name has got to go. We can at least call them the sheeney cursed Jews till snyder wakes up or sells the team. Let's see of that honors his people.

Posted by: murphyz | September 29, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I can't tell you how frustrated I am. I had to actually appologize to my adult son Sunday for raising him as a Redskins fan...he said he forgave me without cracking a smile. I wonder if Danny boy realizes he is loosing the next generation of fans to the Ravens. Purple and Black makes me sick to my stomach...but then again so did watching the Skins.

Posted by: Pigman | September 29, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

1-15 isn't so bad...when is Tim Tebow elligible?

Posted by: Pigman | September 29, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I have the perfect solution to the name issue, and an accurate reflection of what this team is rapidly becoming...

The Washington Generals.

too soon?

Posted by: slapyak | September 29, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Change the damn racist name started by their racist owner George Preston Marshall who was forced by the federal government to integrate the team. In 1921 the Washington Senators played their one and only season in the NFL. Scrap the name Redskins and change it to Senators and our team will have good karma and start winning again.
Wikipedia on 1921 Washington Senators:

Posted by: jmarks09 | September 29, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Everyone that writes in these blogs needs to get on the computer, or God forbid, get a pen & paper & write a letter to The Danny.

Express your complete disatisfaction with the way that he is running this team & our desire, as fans that make his money for him, that he stp away from operations of the team & that he hire a real GM that knows the NFL.

If he were to get 100,000 such letters, it might actually make him at least take a look at what he is doing wrong.

I sent a 3 page, handwritten letter addressed to him to Redskins Park today. My 18 year old & 15 year old sons did the same. That's three down 999,997 to go...come on, express your thoughts!

We CAN make a difference!!

biggred333@gmail.com

Posted by: james51 | September 29, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

that fellow with the craigslist ad is actually me, and i'm a girl, not a fellow. but thanks for the plug regardless.

i actually sold the ticket, and i'm a little shocked honestly.

Posted by: grizneta | September 29, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse