So Is It Really Time to Boo the Skins?

(By Win McNamee - Getty)

Last March, as the Caps were on the road to their second consecutive division title and playoff appearance, some fans began booing the team during particularly lackluster home appearances.

"Fans are getting fanatic," Donald Brashear told me, with a laugh, at the time. "They know what we're capable of, and they want to see us perform."

At the time, I spoke out against the booing, since the Caps were an elite and entertaining team that I felt deserved the benefit of the doubt. But booing the Redskins on Sunday, after a drab first half against a bad Rams team...I'm just not exactly sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it was the first half of the first home game, which seems a tad premature. On the other hand, after a decade-long drought of mediocrity, D.C. football fans just don't have a reservoir of patience any more. It's all dry and scaly, with the faint whiff of rust and decay. (Also: read a history of D.C. fans booing the home teams here).

So while I'd probably wait until the team had actually lost before unleashing the most powerful weapon in the fan's arsenal (possibly besides a beer bong), I can go either way on the halftime booing. But booing the team after they actually won the game, as Redskins fans did on Sunday? Even as the team was in victory formation on the field, loudly expressing your guttural unhappiness. That I just don't get.

"I thought it was a shame, to be honest with you," said Chris Cooley, arguably the team's most popular player. "You take a win when you can get it. And there's a lot of good players, and there's a lot of good teams in this league. I think Washington prides themselves on being the best fans, and I think that they should try to be the best fans. We won. I understand they wanted us to beat the Rams by 40, but we still won, and we if we continue to win games, that's great. Booing's unnecessary."

This was both the most passionate and the best-expressed version of this argument that I heard, and frankly, I agree. Other players seemed more surprised than annoyed.

"Fans are hardcore over here," Andre Carter told Mike Wise. "I understand. Still, a win is a win. That's a first, unfortunately, for me. To be booed after a game we won? That's a first."

"We appreciate them, and everyone has freedom of choice," Antwaan Randle El said, "but for us as a team, we play better when you don't [boo]."

Perhaps the most animated player was backup linebacker Robert Henson, who took to Twitter to repeatedly criticize the home crowd, saying he had never been booed at home like that before, and that his friends on the Rams were also surprised.

"All you fake half hearted Skins fan can .. I won't go there but I dislike you very strongly, don't come to Fed Ex to boo dim wits!!" he wrote, among many other jabs. "The question is who are you to say you know what's best for the team and you work 9 to 5 at Mcdonalds," he wrote later.

But a few players on the team took a completely different approach, saying that the booing was actually justified and understandable.

"They just want a better output in some areas," Phil Daniels said. "I understand it. I understand the booing. I understand why they're booing. I mean, it ain't the first time."

"They're the fans; if they want to boo, let them boo," Fred Smoot said. "They should have booed."

I asked why he thought fans should boo; "because they wanted to," Smoot said. "You can't control them, you can just control what we did on the field."

And many others on the team sort of shrugged off the question, saying it doesn't really matter to them what fans decide to do.

"I don't pay attention to that stuff," Mike Sellers said. "It's not gonna make us lose the game. It's on us."

"You hear it, but you don't know who they're booing, so I don't really get into it," Santana Moss said. "It's not my say-so to tell em what to do, you know what I mean? If you're gonna be with us, you be with us; if you ain't...." and here he shrugged his shoulders. "I've got to play my game. I'm not out there worrying about what's going on in the stands or worrying about what's being said. I'm out there to do my job."

"Yeah, we'd like to run for 300 yards and pass for 600 yards and win by 50, but we moved the ball effectively, we just didn't produce in the red zone, and a win's a win...." Casey Rabach said. "I've been here five years and like I said, it's not the first time I've heard it. it is what it is. The fans are showing their disapproval, and everyone's entitled to their opinion. We're just gonna keep on working hard."

At the end of the day, the players and the fans probably largely feel the same. I'm not sure when I've been in so depressing a winning locker room. Several players were extremely agitated, and the news about Randy Thomas's potentially season-ending injury didn't help. There was hardly any laughing or joking or gloating, but there were plenty of players who were grateful that their record is now 1-1.

"Hey, fans gonna be fans, you know?" DeAngelo Hall said of the boos. "They love you when you're up, they have their opinions when you're down. But we've still got great fans, man. We've got to give them something to be happy about. I'm happy we got a win. We could have played a hell of a lot better though."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 20, 2009; 6:13 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orioles News on Reimold, Adam Duritz
Next: The Redskins' Post-Rams Grumpiness

Comments

I don't think the fans were booing the players, they were booing the coaches. I think fans are expressing themselves to the owners, not to the players.

Posted by: rob23 | September 20, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Dan, in the second game of the season (with a win) it's still early to boo. I do like Smoot's explanation of why the fans booed though. DeAngelo Hall continues to be the most media savvy player on the roster. He ought to get a job with PR after he's done.

Posted by: trolly_time | September 20, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Sure there was a win, but it was a pathetic performance. People paid to see better than that. Subpar performance on the field

Posted by: JDP_ | September 20, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Damn right the fans should have booed! I am really, REALLY sick of losing or barely winning to dogs. The 'Skins have some talent. I really want to like Zorn. But 9-7 over the no-count Rams? Is this really the best they can do? And if this is the best a they can do, should we still be rooting for them? I have been a proud 'Skins fan since I moved to VA at age nine, but I'm really starting to get sick of them. The lawsuits against the fans by the management; the wasteful spending on overhyped, over-the-hill talent who come here to die; and the lackluster, half-assed efforts all add up to me being literally ashamed to root for them! So yeah, if the prima-donnas can't handle a few boos, they came to the wrong town. I for one, am sick fo the 'Skins, as much as it hurts me to say it.

Posted by: deadkel | September 20, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

people are tired of watching crap.... and outting up w/ management's crap.... today was disappointing .... and for millionaires to rationalize crap by saying "we won" demonstrates how willing they are to settle for mediocrity

Posted by: causmos | September 20, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson? Are you kidding me? That guy should be released tomorrow for that quote.

Posted by: james67 | September 20, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

bejesus Skins players have gotta be the most spoiled little beyyaatches in the league. They want the fans to just sit and cheer the whole time? do they want the fans to keep silent instead of booing when they play like crap? When do the fans get to boo then, after the game is officially over? What are the rules of being a fan o redskins, pray tell us.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 20, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

The fans are paying alot of money to go to Redskins games. The bottom line is that the fans are not getting there money's worth!Score some points and the booing will subside. Winning ugly is no fun in person or at home on tv. Why is Campbell still the QB anyway? We made a mistake let's move on already.

Posted by: mole | September 20, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Henson should realize that anyone still shelling out their hard earned dollars for the hassle of trekking to FedEx to watch a team that has not been good for over a decade is not "half hearted." That was a stupid thing for him to say -- those fans pay his salary (albeit indirectly). Mr. Henson should check himself.

Maybe the Redskins shouldn't raise expectations as they do in every off season (always the SB champs in May). Maybe the fans are tired of hearing Zorn say something like "well, we did a lot right and a lot wrong" after almost every game. (Hint: they are doing more wrong.) Maybe the fans are frustrated and want the team to know directly. Maybe these players are paid more than people going to the games and fail to deliver year after year as a team. Maybe we need a head knocking coach (like the one they fired years ago to bring in "Mr. Pitch and Catch"). Just as I always had the feeling in the 80s and early 90s that teh Skins were always going to win, I can't shake the opposite feeling now (i.e., that they are always going to lose).

A "win is a win" is garbage. These guys do not play like champions. Eeking out a win against the hapless Rams is not anything to be proud of -- I might just start booing at the beginning of the next game.

Posted by: buster5 | September 20, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: mole | September 20, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

rob23, I think you are absolutely right. They weren't booing the players they were booing Zorn and his horrendous play calling.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | September 20, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and having your special teams coach yelling at you not to call a time out on national television with 3-4 minutes to go in the game doesn't inspire confidence in zorn. Maybe the special teams coach should be head coach; he knows more about clock management than zorn. Very embarassing.

Posted by: james67 | September 20, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

They were definitely booed at halftime when they went into the dressing room and were down 7-6.

Fortunately, they were able to pull it out and the defense played well when they had to. It was an ugly win. They could move the ball but seemed to stop throwing when at the 10 yard line or closer.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 20, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Henson wrote, "...don't come to Fed Ex to boo dim wits" to which I reply they are booing professional athletes who are paid to play at 100% of their potential. If this is 100%, then most of this team should be embarassed to pick up their paychecks. Yes, the fans are "dimwits" to keep supporting players who should be ashamed to call themselves professionals.

To quote Albert Einstein, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Posted by: mdircat | September 20, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Henson's a deuche

Posted by: bbachrac | September 20, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey cooley, you guys like to say you're a playoff team. Maybe you should try and play like one. That said, you were a beast today and Jason was great too. Zorn sucked.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 20, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson, incoherent people should not call anyone "dim wits" , AND those people who you try to disgrace because they do an honest work at "Mcdonalds" have the right to boo anyone they wish, especially if the ones getting boo are a bunch of overpaid people passing themselves as athletes. I suggest you hush your mouth and count your lucky stars that you are being maintained away from your next home - prison.

Posted by: hock1 | September 20, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

If I go to a movie and pay to see it and it is no good, I have a right to boo even if it produced for the full 2hrs as advertised. I think the Defense was excellent and deserved a standing O but what we saw today was the build up of several years where the team has played down to its opponents. Three field goals at home against one of the worst teams in the league is not acceptable. As for the player that decides to belittle someone for working at McDonalds, you are exactly what we do not need on this team and you need to go. Feel free to Twitter when you are working at McDonalds you no name.

Posted by: jasoncorp | September 20, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

The people in the stands are paying premium prices for a mediocre product. They are simply not getting what they are paying for. Are they supposed to be happy about 3 field goals?

Posted by: Hank11 | September 20, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I noted mr. Hansen was credited with no tackles today. At least peple who work at mcdonalds earn their paycheck.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 20, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree that the fans should have booed the team after the win; however, I don't have a problem with the booing during the game. I think it was very apparent today that the fans are fed up with the crappy play calling that seems to keep us from scoring. It's not really against the players, though if it gets them fired up then great.

Posted by: JulzDC | September 20, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I agree a win is a win, but it was the defense that won the game! Personally, I don't think the fans were booing the team as a whole. I think they were booing Jim Zorn and this pathetic offense! And they had every right to. We have seen this offense fall flat on it's face for the past two years and the fans know that performances like today just will not get it done on a regular basis and as the offense continues to sputter, the Redskins will continue to finish 8-8 or worse every year!

Posted by: rockinthered1 | September 20, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't at the game, but I certainly would have been booing. Yeah, they won the game. Congrataloser. This team is every bit as mediocre as the last 15+ editions. The fans were booing the inevitable 8-8 finish.

Cooley (as usual) played well, but he ought to shut his mouth. First he's saying the Redskins should be blowing people out, then he gets pissy when Redskin fans are unimpressed with a 9-7 win over the frickin' Rams. You want the fans to stop booing? Deliver.

And Robert Henson is a special kind of stupid. I'd cut him tonight. Seriously.

Posted by: Tank2 | September 20, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree with mole.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rnovicio | September 20, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the earlier poster who said the fans were booing the coaching, not the players. I thought Zorn had a terrible game. He even had to be restrained by another coach from calling a time out when the Redskins were trying to run out the clock. As for the theory that a win is a win, there is difference between winning ugly and stinking up the joint and somehow winning. Detroit will beat the Redskins next week.

Posted by: spidey103 | September 20, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

would they boo in new england or pittsburgh after that win?

Posted by: ryjufox3 | September 20, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Win or lose it was a poor performance.

Posted by: jwt22 | September 20, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Cut Henson. He was awful in the preseason and apparently he's retarded.

Chris Cooley doesn't get it. I booed at the game. Everyone around us booed. 75% of the fans on the Bog think they should have been booed. Maybe we are tired of being average. Cooley seems to be fine with it. That's this team's problem.

Posted by: BillyBeane | September 20, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

They boo because they are drunk.

Posted by: philreed1231 | September 20, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

They wernt booing, they were saying moooovers

/Peyton Manning'd
//Shows self to door

Posted by: golfva74 | September 20, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

I sat in traffic for 1 hour because the braintrust (the same people who traded draft picks for J. Taylor) decided they were going to reconfigure the parking lots. Then I go inside and see that crap!!! (Hey Henson, I didn't even know you were on the team. You're a scrub.) That performance was disgusting. The redskins should be ashamed of themselves --the whole organization is pathetic.

Posted by: Smith22039 | September 20, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

For the ardent 'Skins fan, today's win over the hapless Rams is comparable to winning the lottery, only to find out that the payout is $19.95 (before tax).

Snyder is making money hand over fist, the team is predictably and consistently mediocre, the "game day experience" is an expensive, all day endeavor, and the constant PA chatter is raucous and mind numbing. The economic situation for the average fan is not as rosy as Snyder's and certainly adds to the frustration.

The fans pay for the opportunity to cheer or boo the performance of highly paid athletes. If they choose to boo, they've paid handsomely for the privilege.

Posted by: MillPond2 | September 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

We suck. We suck. It’s a bad team that always plays half asx. Zorn look at the play calling. Geez Zorn, when I watch your team on the field. I'm always expecting something bad to happen. Dan don't expect anything better than 7 - 9. Yes that’s bad. I hope someone in the organization reads this and takes it to heart. go after a new coach and a new qb, new offensive line. Fletcher I love your play.

Posted by: rogerdodger24 | September 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Let me tell you why we boo our team. We pay all this money for season tickets, memorabilia, and other things to bring in high priced "Value Players" as they say, and we go no where. We expect playoffs and we get high draft picks. I always wonder why aren't the Redskins like the Steelers, or New England Patriots, but then I realize we have no organization at the top front office. This isn't fantasy football nor is it Madden 2010, this is reality and in reality you can't by a team or its fans a Superbowl. You have to earn your credit where credit is due. Ever since the 1991 crowing of the title I've been waiting for the skins to win a Superbowl. Now I'm waiting on them to be consistent with the wins and the coaches. Jason Campbell is an awesome QB, but how can he develope with the elite if they don't let him throw? How can Clinton Portis, who should lead the NFL in rushing every year run behind a beat up offensive line with overpaid players who are not producing? How can Jason Throw with no protection? and from the looks of things Albert Haynesworth should have stayed on the market.. I mean come on Football is very important to alot of Skins fans who are dedicated, and win the skins lose it brings heart ache and frustration. We booed the team today because they continue to leave points on the field. Jim Zorn is a terrible play caller.. Daniel Snyder needs to actually wanna build a contender and stop selling hopeless dreams.

Posted by: FLYPED | September 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins have definitely become a lower tier NFL franchise. Lousy owner, lousy stadium, lackluster players...etc. When you compare to an organization like the Steelers, Pats, or even Ravens (which have surpassed the Skins), they look really dated and drab.

Posted by: DaMan2 | September 20, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I will always support the skins till I die but the bottom line is were booing the play calling by Jim Zorn. Were also booing the 3rd down defense and were also booing the dumb penalties that we continuously seem to get when we finally get a good play or a stop. The biggest issue here is the play calling though it is really sad I mean how many teams in the NFL can't score touchdowns? not only that but against the Rams I mean name a star on their defense.....(crickets...pin drop) the answer nobody at all...now name offensive studs...portis cooley moss....where is malcolm kelly is devin thomas on our team?? I am not gonna lie here im a lil worried that Detroit breaks their losing streak next week and if that is the case can we boo then???

Posted by: LandryDirty30 | September 20, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it is a time for DC fans to take a lesson from the Phillie fans - when the team sucks, slow-cook and eat 'em while tail-gating. Guess what, they get winning teams.

Now for me, I'd rather have the exciting, but losing, Otto Graham Redskins than the painfully boring, but successful, George Allen or Joe Gibbs (and don't forget his favorite, that famous (in his own mind) incompetent Joey ThEEsman).

Play the game, or there won't be enough boo-birds to bother anyone - just echos from the empty seats. Maybe that's the only way to teach Danny Snyder to get the heck out of the clubhouse, trading floor and metro area.

Posted by: fr3dmars | September 20, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Don't blame them for booing.

How can any team at home allow themselves to get as close to the goal line, four times at that, and come away with just three points? To such a bad team as the Rams? its terrible.

They where booing such a bad day. It was pathetic.

Posted by: llewis40 | September 20, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they were booing the black, I mean Afro American, "Indian."

Posted by: mortified469 | September 20, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game as I have been to every one for the last 4 years and a lot more before that. This team looks just like last year - flat, lackluster, pathetic at times. The talent on paper looks great. FLYPED is absolutely correct. We pay a lot of money for these tickets. We expect a better team than we are seeing. The play calling is terrible at times, the play just little league at times.
To Robert Henson - you make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to play 16 regular season games. I pay over $2000 for 2 season tickets to see 2 pre-season and 8 regular season games. Though I don't work at McDonald's, I would be prouder to say I do than to say I play for the Skins the last few years. Though I did not boo today at the game, I was very disappointed at the team as a whole and wasn't surprised. I expect more from this team. I've been backing this team well before you were filling your diapers with mustard. Put something on the field that the fans and YOU can be proud of. Fake half-hearted? Why don't you pay tons of money for tickets and sit in the stands with us, lose your voice from screaming so much for the Skins and watch millionaires score 3 field goals against one of the worse teams in the league. You may want to go grab a Big Mac instead.

Posted by: obsean1 | September 20, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game today. The fans were justified to boo the coaches and management. The joke in our section was, inside the 10 yard line, how many times would they run Clinton Portis? Everyone in the stadium, including the Rams, knew what we were going to do. Portis, who is a great back, is not a big power runner. So we need more imagination than running Portis two or three times inside the ten.

Posted by: kinsman_bob | September 20, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's okay. Fans pay a lot of money and it's a hassle getting in and out of FedEx Field. We've seen the same stuff for 10 games in a row now, dating back from last season. Fans have every right to boo if they don't like what they see on the field. It's embarrassing beating the Rams by 2 points and not scoring a touchdown. Watching how we struggled against the Rams,
I can't even imagine what will happen when we play New Orleans, Dallas, or Philly.

And the players need to stop being sensitive about the booing, work on improving your game instead!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I've been going to games for over 40 years and I've never booed the team, nor did I boo today, but I complete understand it. The fans in this town are fantastic and they (we) deserve better than we're getting on the field year in and year out for the past decade. Fans don't boo just because of mistakes. They boo because they think the players and the coaches are not putting in the effort they should to be successful. That lack of effort was evident throughout the preseason, last week in NY, and today against the Rams. Jim Zorn is a nice man but he obviously has not imposed discipline on the team, the coaching staff, or himself. As fans, we want to see fire in the belly, not another "a win is a win" excuse for a lousy game.

Posted by: SkinsFan333 | September 20, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game. Unfortunately for the players, people are just plain sick of Snyder's organization. I feel bad for the players. They are caught in the middle. I've been a season ticket holder for several years. I've also been to several other stadiums for games. Without question, FedEx is the worst game day experience I've been to. For years my group parked in a cash lot near the stadium. Today we found that Snyder bought that private lot and made it a permit only lot. Snyder actually tries to make it more difficult for fans to get to the game. The owner actually makes it harder for fans to get to the game. What owner does this? Fans are actually p*ssed before they walk in to the stadium. Truth be told Gibbs' presence postponed this fan reaction for a few years. Between suing fans (for whatever reason), continued poor management, disappointing seasons, a gradual devaluing of the teams past accomplishments, and an owner who clearly takes the teams' fans for granted, people can't take it anymore.

Also, Zorn will not make it through the year if he stays conservative in the red zone. I agree with the previous poster - we are mad at the coaches and ownership and not the players.

Henson's career won't last past this season.

Posted by: jsdunbar | September 20, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

This is the last year of my club seat contract and I am out. So are several others in my section. The sad thing is that the Redskin organization will rationalize their lost club seat contracts as a "result of the economy." It isn't. The Redskins are a low performance organization. Today I booed the Redskins organization and not the players. The fact that Snyder allows Cerrato to host a weekly radion show when instead he should be focused on improving the team is just one example of confused priorities.

Posted by: Billy1Adams | September 20, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Boo the coach
Boo the players
Boo the "management" and I use that term loosely.

What pains me most about the franchise of my youth is that I dont even think that the players on the team realize how bad they really are in comparison to the rest of the league.

With a performance like that - how can you not understand how you could get booed? Just say you are happy with the win and that you deserved to get booed and move on to next week.

Sad thing is -- we all know that Zorn and J Campbell are done after this year. I think the team knows it too -- so why even bother with this year? Lost cause all around.

Posted by: Coach_whit | September 20, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson needs to grow up! Today's performance was pathetic - 5 trips inside the red zone and 9 points? Sure, the win was nice, but hardly what anyone could call an outstanding effort. Even the defense leaves a lot to be desired until they figure out how to take care of business on 3rd down. The good news is that Campbell and the O-line do not look that bad. However, I see the Lions winning easily next week.

Posted by: skipper7 | September 20, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I was in a group of 30+ fans at Hollywood Billiards in Los Angeles booing the Skins!

Watching the team go up and down the field most of the game, only to score field goals because of mental errors and BAD play calling was frustrating, but not nearly as bad as watching the team take a knee on on a first and goal with 2 minutes left in the game.

Yeah, they had already won the game, but don't they have any heart or any guts?!

That's why we were booing...

Posted by: dmlworx | September 20, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Boo??? Lucky there wasn't a riot!! 9 points from this high-powered west-coast BS offense-offensive !! Change the name, the owner, the coach and the players, keep the cheerleaders. These "players" should be ashamed to collect a check.

Posted by: aginsburg | September 20, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

If you've read any of my recent posts, you know I'm a huge Caps fan, and I appreciate the Caps reference to open this post. It's important, because last season when the Caps got booed, all of the players and even the coach said, in the this paper, WE DESERVED IT. WE PLAYED LIKE CRAP, AT HOME AND WE DESERVED IT. Why can't the Skin's players understand that? I really hope the Post writers take this up as a larger problem for the organization. I was at the game today, and I booed and booed as loud as I could, as I did last season at some Caps games. I hold season tickets to both teams, and certainly don't work at McDonalds. However, I am more than insulted at the comment made by a player I've never heard of. The organization should fire him immediately and apologize too all of the fans, many of which I am sure, work at McDonalds.

Posted by: nigt | September 20, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I was saying booo-urns.

Posted by: Grooven | September 20, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

We have a tradition of booing billion-dollar enterprises that shaft us on the regular (phone companies, cable companies, banks, etc.). Why should the Redskins be exempt from that treatment?

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | September 20, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the excuses are so lame and pathetic. Last week it was "well it was the New York Giants and we were in N.Y." and "no one expected us to win anyway." Today is "a win is a win." STOP it with all the excuses! And the players really shouldn't have anything to say about the fans booing. I don't think they have a right. Robert Henson is really, really stupid. For a player that barely made the team, and DID NOT contribute today, for him to say that is just plain stupid and has rubbed us 'Skins fans all the wrong way. Cut his butt TONIGHT. We don't need dumb players like him.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

The fans are booing because they know, that against a decent team, this team, under JC's leadership, would not have won. Coaching isn't that great, but one will never know as long as Campbell is behind the center.

Posted by: Almazar80 | September 20, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

so tired of all the excuses. Its the second game of the season, give Campbell a chance to learn Zorn's offense. They won the game, blah blah blah. This is the 18 game for Campbell and Zorn, PLUS Offseason, PLUS preaseason. Look at the 49ers, Jets, Bills. They are winning. this team is a joke and they deserved to be booed. What you want them to lose to the lions before everyone realizes this team sucks. Chris Berman on ESPN said, "the redksins and Rams set football 30 years back." this team is a joke

Posted by: tony28 | September 20, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE cut this moron Robert Henson right now!!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Tony- I agree with you. I'm so sick of that excuse you stated. "Give Campbell time to learn the offense." Look at Mark Sanchez, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, especially Joe Flacco. They are all winning and doing very well in either their 2nd or first year. So why are all these QBs improving, yet our offense looks the same exact as last year?

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I officially HATE JIM ZORN'S PLAYCALLING THAT'S NOW THREE TIMES IN THE END ZONE AND NO TD HE SUCKS THREE RUNNING PLAYS IN A ROW WHO THE HELL HE THINK HE IS.......

Posted by: dcskins08 | September 20, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell is awful. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: 4472jon | September 20, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Robert Henson, if you ever get into a game, be assured you will be be booed.

Posted by: ygbrown2001 | September 20, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

fans have the right to booo anyone they want.

HOWEVER, dont provide lame excuses like..."we pay premium prices to watch a mediocre team" or "we pay to go there" or anything along those lines. Umm..Don't GO to games then. Sit at home and watch on TV. Straight up!

Yes, it was an ugly win. Bad playcalling.

But a win is a win is a win. It doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 50. It still counts the same.

The Redskins are NOT..repeat are NOT an elite team. They are average with some breaks COULD make the playoffs.

Too many of you are STUCK in the Joe Gibbs era. Yo, he is done and is NOT walking through the door...THANK GOD.

Let's see what happens..after all, when everything is said and done...the Skins are 1-1. NUFF SAID!

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | September 20, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

You got that right. Sanchez, ryan and Flacco look like they're learning. You think that after four years, Campbell would show simiar improvement. Alas, he's playing as well as he's probably capable of playing. Which unfortunately for Washington, will never be playoff caliber. He still does not have a winning record, does he?

Posted by: Almazar80 | September 20, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I was there. Henson did pretty well on special teams. Cooley had an outstanding game. [Surprisingly, Justin Tryon had a very very solid game as well.] D'Angelo Hall didn't even know the Rams TD pass was in air ... and I think he had at least one penalty. Guys who played well deserve to be pissed at the fans. D Hall has to know he deserved it. The final score should have been 21-7. The fans were booing the play calling in the red zone. [Also, Orakpo was about a half second away from a safety sack that would have made it 11-7.] The redzone problem is that Zorn's playbook still hasn't figured out the running game. Boo the people booing Henson and Cooley up here. BOOOOOOO. [The weather was nice though.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 20, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

On the cost of seeing a game at FedEx, I would have to agree with the people thinking that that must be the reason people are booing. They only showed scores around the league twice during the game. They never show replays of Skin's penalties. They showed the wrong replay twice (showing the previous replay again). They want you to pay $80 to rent the personal Kangaroo TVs (for scores, replays, etc.) that used to be included in the cost of admission. BOOOOOO whoever it is that owns and runs the Skins as a nickel-and-dime grubbing, fan-hating team.

Posted by: dcsween | September 20, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

What a terrible comment to make. I really hope they cut him and he ends up working at Mcdonalds from 9 to 5.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep it real. We Skins fans stink at being fans. We're drunk, we're not in our seats, we don't pay attention when we are and our ladies are ugly. Compare us to the fans at Lambeau and it's down right embarrassing. Ok, their ladies are ugly as well. 1st time our guys go 3 and out, we boo. Other guys get a 1st Down, we boo. Those of us not sitting inside by the lounge, anyways. Yeah, we're just not good. As Coach Gibbs used to say, "it's time for a gut check." For the players and the fans. Let's chill on the booing.

Posted by: TheDubb | September 20, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Booing after the three red zone drives that ended in FGs is fine, booing a victory formation at the end of the game after that ridiculously great defensive stand is legit retarded on every level.

What did you want the Skins to do? Try to score a completely unnecessary touchdown and risk a turnover/pick six for the loss? It was embarrassingly ignorant for our fans to do that - express your displeasure all you want, but have the common sense and two brain cells required to do it at the appropriate time. Pathetic showing by the fans at the end. If you don't understand how the game works, just stay home.

Posted by: Terpsrule | September 20, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE cut this moron Robert Henson right now!!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

AMEN!!! Here's the funny thing: in a couple of years, when this idiot is no longer in the league, he won't even be qualified enough to be a manager at McDonald's. First of all, he went to TCU!!! Are you kidding me?!!! Yeah, if it werent for football, he'd be digging ditches somewhere. Second, he married TD Jakes's daughter? Yeah, I'm sure she's a great person, but do you think he married her for money? Probably. His nasty attitude toward Redskins fans and elitist attitude toward McDonald's workers tells me that he's probably not the most religious person. And finally, I want him to complete that sentence about what the Redskins fans can go and do... Let's hear it punk! Show your true colors (I would guess this ARSE-HAT probably grew up a COWBOYS fan), so we can tell YOU where you can go!!!!

PS Robert Henson is my new archenemy! I will not rest until he is cut!!! CUT HIM NOW, VINNY!!!

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | September 20, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

hope Snyder saw that McDonalds comment and cuts Henson..
Would be a nice PR reversal for Snyder after suing Granny over tickets.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 20, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Everything surrounding the Redskins is getting really ugly. I went today and I think Im going to take a break. Looking forward to watching the Nats lose in peace vs the Dodgers this week more than more trips to K-Fed Ex drunken yo boy Field.

Posted by: Kev29 | September 20, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

No no no.. I'm not buying it. I'm not buying the excuses and the "a win is a win" rationalizations. This game was pathetic... beyond pathetic. This was incomprehensible. We are talking a HOME game against a no-account, 10-point underdog accompanied by a huge media build-up and predictions of a blow-out, a chance to avenge last year's shocking loss to the same team. How can you not be ready for this game ? How can you not score a single touchdown against the Rams ? I'm sorry, they've lost me.

Posted by: rickcentreville39 | September 20, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

grew up rooting for the Redskins, Hogs, Riggins, et al.. Even pushed a few players through their Carlisle dorm windows after curfew... :)
But with Henson's McDonald's comment and Sndyer suing life long fans for ticket money while scalping the same...
Its time to move on.. and boycott everything associated with this organization until Snyder sells the team (probably 2050 when he's 80 years old).

Damn, I hate anti-trust exemptions.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 20, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game. The booing at the end was because fans wanted them to run a play to score instead of kneeling. It was crazy. But that is what happens when you see Redskins have five possessions inside the red zone and come away with 9 points. The fans get a bit restless.

The booing at the end of the first half and after the HB Option call and sweep on 3rd down were well deserved. Zorn deserves to be mocked until he figures out how to call an NFL game for someone other than himself at QB.

Posted by: justmy2 | September 20, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

We boo because the organization has lost our respect. From taking an hour to find a parking spot 3 hours before the game to not get any kind of freebie coming into the game to paying $8 for a beer to watching a inept qb and coach almost lose a game to the WORST team in the NFL.....damn right we deserve to boo. Snyder has destroyed this franchise. I've never been to a worst Redskin game in my life and they won.

Posted by: dewey69 | September 20, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I understand what everyone feels about the owner and the stadium experience -- totally agree. But booing? Of course everyone's got the RIGHT to boo, but is it really helping anything? Vote with your feet -- stay home if it's that frustrating.

Posted by: sparky0488 | September 20, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

In my 30 years of following the Redskins, this is the first time I've been upset after a win. This is like my kid bringing home a report card with a passing grade of D-.
Just because he passed the class, I'm not going to be happy. A win is not a win. Zorn seems lost!!! I really can't see him returning next week. He might not even make it thru the season.

Posted by: Redskin_in_miami | September 20, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I meant returning next year. But not I would be Ok with him not returning next week just the same.

Posted by: Redskin_in_miami | September 20, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, you people are dumb. Campbell played VERY well today. The redzone futility can be blamed squarely on two things - lack of execution, (TWO dropped TD passes) and play calling, run, run, half back pass - really?. NOT Campbell. Execution and Play calling - That's it. That's the list.

Posted by: Terpsrule | September 20, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

DCSween,

Henson was listed as inactive prior to the game, so I'm not sure how good he really could have looked on special teams.

I think it would make a big statement to the fans if the team did actually cut that guy tonight or tomorrow. He barely made the team and is, obviously, a complete clown.

Posted by: abtassler | September 20, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I am spitting in Robert Henson's Big Mac tomorrow.

Posted by: dstout3423 | September 20, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

If I paid the same for a Broadway theater show and it was preformed as badly as the Skins played today, I'd probably boo also. For those who say well the Skins won, well guess what half of all high school teams win each week, and a good percentage play better than the skins did.

Posted by: crete | September 20, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Ditto to all the above, boooo! This is a horrible product on display - they make it sooo hard to be a fan of the Redskins.

Posted by: jdlevinson | September 20, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

At least hockey season starts in 10 days.

Posted by: Section117 | September 20, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Did you hear comment made Randy Hanson about the Redskins fans should stay home because they complain, yes we should complain this team is soft, weak, overrated. Hanson played at TCU-You know he is a Cowboy fan. Cut him now!
I am sorry for Albert Hansworth and Portis you need to play 30 miles north for the Ravens, the ravens, now that is a real team. Did you see Ray Lewis, now that is smart great football player. We have great players too, what is the problem...Zorn?. This years record 8-8. Vinny will trade JC to Carolina for 2 round pick, we will darft Tim Tebow. JC will lead Carolina to the super bowl in 2012, and Tim Tebow will be out football with 100 Million of DS money, and running for House seat in Florida. The handwriting is on the wall-JC get out, no hope in DC.

Posted by: nativeva1 | September 20, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

This is directly from Robert Henson's twitter posts (in response to fans pointing out that he didn't play after he took a jab at them for booing):

"RedskinsLB51: No I didn't play but I still made more than you in a year and you'd Gladys switch spots with me in a second, I was talking to the fans

RedskinsLB51: The question is who are you to say you know what's best for the team and you work 9 to 5 at Mcdonalds"

Really?! So, you think that by earning the league MINIMUM you make more than people who attend REDSKINS games? (By the way, the league MINIMUM is $310k. And as a SIXTH round pick, I'm sure that's what he's getting. I mean, does Henson even HAVE an agent?! Judging by how STUPID he seems, he probably does. He probably pays a cut to the agent out of his league MINIMUM salary... but I digress.)

Go back to Texas, you HAYSEED! This is arguably the most powerful town in the US. I'm sure there were PLENTY of people in the stands who make MORE THAN you who booed.

And I'm not even going to address the "English" he was speaking! (But I guess I would "Gladys" trade spots with him...)

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | September 20, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I also was mostly upset with 1) Zorn 2)Carlos Rodgers. He plays 10 yards off every receiver; even when it 3rd and 2!!!

Does he really fear getting burned deep by Stephen Jackson?

Posted by: Redskin_in_miami | September 20, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Today's game was the worst game I have ever seen. I have been a Redskin's fan my entire life but today I felt embarassed. it was a win but it didn't feel like it, at all. I will always support the skins and no matter how bad it gets I will still go to games, still watch every game and read every article, but today was absolutely terrible and I think the booing was completely understandable. We put so much money into this organization from tickets to merchandise to ridiculous parking, commuting, and consession fees, and we get mediocrity. Its the same story every year and it starts at the top with a money hungry owner and a terrible excuse for a talent evaluator Vinny Cerato. Zorn is not a head coach, but no one wants to work for Synder.

Campbell has had 4 years of chances now to prove himself. Look at Sanchez, he's been in he league 2 games and he already looks like a Pro caliber QB. How many other star qb's need 4 years? He isn't getting the job done, its time to start over. Get a GM, get a QB, get an established coach if we can like Shanahan who has proven himself.

I'm glad that the players are happy that we are 1 and 1, but do they really think performances like that are going to get us into the playoffs? If we can't play better than we did today, its going to be a long long season.

Posted by: tigerdelt | September 20, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I just want a coach who knows how to play call. His calls are so predictable and his trick plays are called at the wrong times. He doesnt have control over this team. There is no intensity. I really dont think Zorn is the answer. I would like Snyder to go after Gruden or Cowher asap. Atleast they would show some kind of control and they have head coaching experience. Zorn is a nice guy but nice isnt enough- he is in way over his head.

Posted by: jasonbrown20 | September 20, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Robert Hensen? Who's that? this guy needs to shut his uneducated trap.. and if the Redskins were run like McDonald's they would rival the Steelers and the Pats in efficiency..

But again, he's a stupid, uneducated athlete..with a shelf life of 3 years on avarage.

The team is complete garbage--same game for 10 years..Zorn, Snyder, offense, defense..garbage. Turn on the Giants game tonight to see real teams.

Skins are trash don't support them.

Posted by: taburd02 | September 20, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I booed today. I booed Zorn. I booed the ref's, I booed Snyder, I booed D. Hall. I booed the lack of sacks and touchdowns. I booed the playcalling.

I sat down front and booed. I booed for all the years of losing. I booed because it is impossible to get to the stadium for an opening game. Even with an expensive tailgating parking pass it was impossible to get a spot (35 minutes once you are in line to park).
The fans are not in their seats because they are waiting in lines for food, long lines, and dealing with workers who hate their jobs serving the food. And for $42 bucks the "hot" pretzles are still frozen and the chicken tenders are soggy and frozen, and there is no ketchup "and you hear "F'ing Snyder". And the team has talent but can't score. And they don't care because they drive off in $100K cars. And Snyder doesn't care.

So we boo. Because we know we don't get a vote, a referendum on Snyder and what he's done to something we love. And thats the facts. Chris Cooley played well. The offense and Zorn overall were embarassing.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: DownTownClown | September 20, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"So while I'd probably wait until the team had actually lost before unleashing the most powerful weapon in the fan's arsenal"

WRONG. The opposite of love is *not* hate, it's indifference. The most powerful weapon that we have is to just stop caring about a bunch of overpaid sleepwalkers and their pint-sized sue-the-fans butthead of an owner.

Posted by: hankd | September 20, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Henson is a nobody on a nothing team. I've been a 'Skins fan all my life, and I've never heard anybody call out the fans like this idiot Henson did today. This guy is picking splinters outa his butt, and he thinks he can talk trash like that to fans that pay his salary? Get real, pal.

Hey Henson, I got an idea for you -- let's trade places like you said -- I'll make $300K for playing a kids game (or NOT playing, as in your case) one day a week for a few months out of the year, and you work my shift, 6 days a week from 8 to 6 every effin' week of the year. How does THAT sound, you ungrateful, over-paid, never-was, sorry excuse for a human? Check yourself before you start flapping your ignorant piehole next time, fool.

Posted by: gr8day4bsbll | September 20, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

It absolutely disgusts me that a guy like Henson wears #51. What a scumbag. He is not fit to wear that number. Monte Coleman was one of the greatest of all time for the Redskins (a mean SOB on punt coverage). He should meet Monte at a Mickey Ds some time and learn what it means to wear the Burgundy and Gold.

Gold star for anyone who knows where Monte was working when he was drafted.... as a busboy in some crappy diner in Arkansas when Beathard took him in the 12th round. Played 14 seasons in the NFL and walked with three SB rings. Three more than Mr. Henson will ever see.

At the very least, Henson should be given a number with less prestige than one of the the Redskins' greatest. Such a chump.

Posted by: buster5 | September 20, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Careful fans, keep up that booing and hurting players' feelings and Danny will probably sue you for intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Posted by: mrlogical | September 20, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

There is alot I can take as a fan. Bad play, bad ownership its one thing. I take it because I acknowledge that being a fan means taking what the team gives you. But for players to question our right to boo? Because the money for them to play just comes from where?

This has showed me that's its just not the coaches. This organization has fallen into a mediocre state of mind where they don't its acceptable to be booed for not producing. We need to start a website banning together as fans to voice our opinions and to mobilize against this organization. We won't pay our money each week to be told by the players to sit down and shut up.

I'm fed up.

Posted by: atruesportsjunkie | September 20, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Jack Kent Cooke must be rolling over in his grave over what Dan Snyder has done to this team. Its so sad to see such a storied franchise turn into what it is today, a complete mess. Why doesn't Snyder ever talk to the fans or the media. He doesn't want to show his face and look into the faces of everyone he screws over ever year.

Its the same thing every year, and the same issues every year and I don't know why I keep hoping to see any sign of improvement from this team. We boo because we are frustrated. We want to see some sign of improvement or hope, and when you can't beat the Rams by more than 2, it says more of the same is coming.

Where does Henson think he would be if he didn't have a skill to play football. He would be the greeter at Wallmart. Get rid of him! Oh yeah, Snyder doesn't care about the opinions of fans, so nevermind.

Posted by: tigerdelt | September 20, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher, Cooley, Portis, Sellers and McIntosh are winners. The rest are LOSERS...either by choice or by birth!!

Until Snyder and Cerrato go don't expect any less than a bunch of over-paid, under-achieving players out on the field!!

Posted by: MikenMan | September 20, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

And it would make absolutely NO difference if we had a franchise QB and a HOF coach like Cowher because the system won't allow them to win. And by the system I mean Snyder and Cerrato. I think Schottenheimer was the last real coach that would have taken us to the next level but the "system" didn't like the fact he wanted complete control.

Posted by: MikenMan | September 20, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you are losing control. Your GM is batting about 10% on draft picks. Your legal department is a public relations nightmare. Your trademarked team name is going to end up in the Supreme Court to decide if its a racial slur.

Your coach is not capable of leading an NFL offense. No other coaches really want to work for you. NFL Players see you as a 401k, and they come here for a retirement package - not with anything left to prove.

The fans, your clients, do not like you. Your community doesn't like you. And the cracks are starting to show. These boos are the beginning of the end for you.

All the problems in this organization start at the top. The plays that we boo on the field are the results of calls you have made. And now your days are numbered.

Its been a decade that the product on the field has been average at best, while prices have increased at a hectic pace. Ingeniously angling for profits, profits, profits. When you really need prophets, prophets, prophets (of the football, personnel and business kind).

Your destiny is written and if history is any guide, you have about 3 years before you lose the team, or the team is lost as a part of the community. It's a shame that the owner is no longer a fan.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | September 20, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the Skins are close to reaching all time franchise lows. The management and owner are close to the worst in the league. Al Davis might be the only owner I might not want instead of Snyder in the entire league. Snyder is a classless money grubbing loser with too much money. The fans have to *stop* going the games period to effect change. Money is the only language Snyder speaks and until that happens expect this year after year. He has ruined a franchise I used to absolutely love. What a shame!

Henson, if the team has any iota of respect for their fans which is doubtful, should be cut tomorrow and I'm absolutely serious. The team is basically in the service industry. If a worker at McDonald's was that disrespectful to a customer, do you think he might be fired??? He is just another stupid jock, but with little to no talent. I mean, how can they justify keeping him here. He's never going to be liked in this town now even if he somehow were to become a pivotal player. Bye bye!

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 20, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I just want to add. For all you fans that still wait in traffic, still pay crazy concession and ticket prices, and still actually go to the games for an owner that sees you as nothing more than a sucker, you too are crazy!

I can barely watch this team on television anymore much less go to a game.

Boycott! Boycott! Boycott!

I am actually rooting for the stadium to get emptier and for the boos to get louder and more frequent. Enough is enough. Maybe when that happens, there can be some hope returned to a once proud franchise!

Posted by: rphilli721 | September 20, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

i was saying boo-urns

Posted by: parkerbros | September 20, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The Skins do suck now but if they swallow more shall be revealed.

Posted by: Sideswiped | September 21, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

This NFL season has already started off 20 times more interesting then ever before because I've been betting on every game and winning... No joke and I am no spammer. The site is www.winwinsportsbetting.com and it is no joke. Saw in on Spike tv tried it and it's hitting hard so far.

Posted by: JamesWitt | September 21, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

True, a win is a win and I am in a much better mood now and will be this week....BUT, the fans who pay the crazy prices and the hassle of trekking down to that stadium HAVE the right to express themselves as they see fit. The team played well today but just didn't convert their opportunities...for which they won't win many games against better opponents (obviously). Want the fans to stop booing??? Win a game convincingly - pretty simple solution.

Robert Henson is an absolute putz. Those folks who work at McDonalds will do more real work in a month than you will do in your entire life and for you to insult them shows just how out of touch with reality you sadly really are. Just a disgusting comment from an overpaid, spoiled athlete. Just a shame.

Posted by: regis429 | September 21, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Dan,
Please allow me to enlighten as to why the fans were so pissed to the point of booing even after a win.

Its not the players that were being booed.

Its Zorn and his incredibly horrifying play calling inside the 10 yard line. Its two weeks in a row. Edge sweep, edge sweep, halfback pass??? R U F'ing kidding me? Hey Zorn you are not fooling any one!! Quit blaming the players for failing to exercise that stupidity. Its not like that is an example of one series... it was the same thing last week in the meadowlands and all day today.

We are SICK of it. Run play action, run a first down draw, pound the rock (equals unleash your power up the gut, not run to the sideline and get strung out), THROW a FADE to MK12 for Gods sake!!! Throw three in a row, I like our chances to hit one of them. Anything but three wide runs that have YET to gain anything in two weeks.

Please feel free to let the players know that THIS FAN appreciates their efforts and support them, but i am OVER Zorn's MORONIC too cute by half anemic play calls inside the ten.

This team has so much promise...and it is frustrating beyond compare to watch them be hamstrung by their coach. Booing is all you can do when leaving your seat and going to the bench area to tell Zorn to quit screwing the pooch will only get you arrested.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 21, 2009 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Cut Henson immediately. Sorry, scooter, you're not a superstar and therefore don't get a pass to insult the people who ultimately pay your salary.

The boos were clearly directed at the coaching staff. Notwithstanding that, though, the people who hand over their hard-earned money to watch professional athletes have more than earned the privilege of booing whoever they damn well please.

Posted by: jrchris | September 21, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

I would boo snyder and the management of the redskins. Zorn and the players no. Snyder is the worst thing to happen to this organization. I wish he would just sell the team and take his greed elsewhere.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | September 21, 2009 3:10 AM | Report abuse

I was at home booing the TEAM!
I also was Booing the PLAY CALL!
WE GOT SPURRIER ALL OVER AGAIN!
SNYDER PLEASE SELL THE TEAM!

PEOPLE they were playing the RAMS!
If they are having problems with one of the worst teams in the league what the rest of the season will look like?

You people are to nice!
You need to let them know how sorry they look!
It's not the players fault THEN WHO FAULT IS IT!
WR STILL DON'T GET SEPARATION! (EXCEPT COOLEY)

WHERE IS ALL THAT GREAT RUSHING I HEARD ABOUT? PLEASE THEY WERE PLAYING AGAINST ROOKIES! SAD JUST SAD!

FROM WHAT I SEE MAYBE TEN PEOPLE I WOULD KEEP ON THAT TEAM! TEN!

SO STOP BEING PRESS TO BE AROUND REDSKINS YOUR GIVING THEM FALSE ILLUSION AS THOUGH THEY ARE GOOD PLAYERS MOST AREN'T!

SELL THE TEAM! SELL THE TEAM!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | September 21, 2009 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg,
You don't get the booing? Do you pay $5000 for 2 seats to see dropped balls and failure to score? Do you pay $22 for 2 hotdogs and 2 half liter bottled waters? Do you pay $250 for parking only to find out first game this year that number of parking access lanes to the lot have been reduced since last year? Are you frustrated because Snyder said you got a 6 year contract and can't break the contract or go to court in spite of the inferior product that I'm paying Snyder for? And you don't get it. Come on man, are you a spoiled rich brat or what?

Posted by: getitritegov | September 21, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

who cares what steinberg thinks about the right time time to boo? the time to start boo'ing was 9 years ago when snyder first bought the team and keep on boo'ing every day, day after day, until we get a winning product on the field. So boo on redskins fans! don't let up for a minute, not a g--d--- minute.

Posted by: bestmick1 | September 21, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Skins fans cant get any dumber. No s you have "the right" to boo...but booing your team is so counterproductive. What is wrong with people? Boo at your home, like a real fan. Don't take it out on the team because you cashed in your 401k for redskins season tickets, an authentic deangelo hall jersey, and now have a hangover for your 2 hour ride home. They won the game morons.

Robert Henson is my hero.

Posted by: kennedy7040 | September 21, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

when fans are outrageously nickeled and dimed for a team that performs with such mediocrity, I think we have every right to boo whenever we want. It's not the players faults that Jim Zorn is afraid to trust JC. It's not the coaches faults that the front office is fine with inept drafting. The fans are booing the owner and and what he's done to this team. It's all on him. So boo Snyder's team all you want. You'll sure want to when Detroit eeks out a win next week.

Posted by: mrhanki9 | September 21, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game and all the people around me for the most part were booing the coaches not the players! The players are doing what the coaches are telling them to do and when it isn't working and you keep doing the same thing over and over you should be booed at!! That was the most boring and pitiful performance I've ever seen. The fact that it appears there is no trust in Campbell to get into the end zone is blatant. Yeah, a win is a win, but when your making your players look like idiots on the field, I don't care what the score board says! BOO!

Posted by: ags38 | September 21, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

We root for the team to win ballgames. They won. So don't boo them when they line up in victory formation. For that instant, cheer the team for pulling out a win, even if it was closer than it should have been. On Monday, go back to spitting idiotic drivel about JC being outplayed by Sanchez and his massive 163 yards. Look how many Super Bowls the Eagles have won--does anyone really think their obnoxius fans are pushing them toward excellence?

Posted by: philofutbol | September 21, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

for real Henson? McDonalds? I seriously doubt there were a lot of Mickey D's employeess in the crowd. If they make $7/hr how are they going to pay $85 for skins tickets? I wasn't at the game but i was "boooing" from home. I play to continue to boo until i start to see some improvement, and bye the way-- i've been a skins fan for 30 years and i'm tired of this BS, so stick it Henson

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | September 21, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

We won three Super Bowls with three different QB's and running backs. But had a solid team built around them. It's like we have a brick wall at the five yard line. I didn't boo yesterday because apparently that's not nice on the home field - so I was "silent" maybe we should all try that!!??

Posted by: FrancisHerbert | September 21, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Three years ago, I booed Dan Snyder by giving up season tickets that have been in my family for decades. My decision Each disappointing season since then has justified my decision.

Having grown up in D.C. it's hard for me to completely disown the Skins. However, it's very easy to "BOOOOO" from the comfort of my home after a game like yesterday!!

Posted by: bnardo | September 21, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think they're booing the owners.

Meanwhile, D.C. United is humming along in third place in the league. And the Barra Brava is louder than the madding overcharged crowd of pig-nose wearers!

Posted by: bs2004 | September 21, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't agree with booing the team after the win, we're not Philly fans after all, but booing them at any point during that game was totally justified. Every game is a struggle to watch. I honestly think the last time we blew somebody out was that 2007 Detroit game when we only poured it on in the 4th quarter. What the players don't realize is that the owners, scouts, ticket prices, stadium and last 18 years of play are also being booed.

Posted by: Andymr | September 21, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I love how this post doesn't mention that the Skins couldn't score a single touchdown.

Whether or not you agree with booing the team, that's a fact that deserves mentioning.

(Personally, I would have cheered the defense and booed the offense.)

Posted by: westofthedc | September 21, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I live in Texas in the heart of cowgirl country and I'm sick and tired of hearing about how the cowgirls are doing year after year while the Skins struggle. Let's put the blame where it belongs on Vinny and Dan. They have failed year after year to honestly rebuild the O-line. When Gibbs first came to D.C. in 1981 he saw the talent the team had, its recievers, big John Riggins and little Joe Washington, and a defense that only needed some minor work. But he knew that their weakest link was the o-line so Bobby Beathard allowed Joe to rebuild the o-line then just two years later they won the first of three Super Bowls. We can blame Jason Campbell if we want (he's not the problem) or the recievers or the running backs, or the defense any of whom are not the problem. Even the o-line can be blamed like I'm doing now, but even they don't hire themselves and don't replace themselevs. That's the job of the president of player personel and the team owner. I don't really blame the fans for booing yesterday would have too if I were in attendance. I'm sick and tired of this team and they will not be back on top even with all the talent they have until the o-line is truly reuilt. Dan and Vinny have had the chance to do so the last ten years but they continue to waiste money elsewhere.
For over 30 years I was a fan of the Atlanta Braves and the Florida State Seminoles but have given up on both after years of waiting for them to get back on top. For that same time (since 1977) I have been a Skins fan but now its time to move on and find another team. It's just down right sicking to even think about them now let alone watch them play. But one thing is for sure whatever team I pick to replace the Skins it sure want be "dem damn cowgirls."

Posted by: rmilton | September 21, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The fans were booing Zorn (and the Owner and Vinny, too).

I'm sure they were booing the decision to go for the kill on 4th and 2, rather than kick a field goal, only to take knees when your gamble actually paid off.

I think they were booing the knee-taking, along with the other non-linear thinking of the Offensive Coordinator/PlayCaller/Healer/Shamen.

That's what I think.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 21, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

You people that booed at the stadium yesterday, you are not real fans. TRUE FANS DO NOT BOO THEIR OWN TEAM AT HOME! If you want to boo a home team, go root for the Eagles. These are professional athletes that get paid to play football. Don't you think that they know that they are playing poorly? I assure you, they knew they needed to do better in the red zone. The last thing they need is to be booed by their own fans.

I was at the game yesterday and I was disgusted in more ways than one. I hated the fact that we couldn't score on a terrible Rams team. But I hated the booing even more. I got into a shouting match with some idiot that was booing the entire game. Why the hell do you even come to the games if you aren't going to support the team? I can't tell if the people that were booing were either complete idiots or just a-holes with a total lack of team respect and pride. Either way, the team has every right to be mad at the fans because the fans should not have booed their own team. By the way, in case no one noticed, out team defense was pretty darn good and WE WON THE GAME.

Posted by: MeatSweats | September 21, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

rmilton, I agree with everything you said except the part where you said you were a Redskins fan. I too despise Vinny and Snyder and realize we will continue to be a mediocre team until they're gone but if you're a TRUE fan you in NO WAY, NO HOW change teams!!! I'm sure most people who have posted here are loyal fans but enough enough!! But still, I'm sure they aren't going to go find another team. Otherwise they weren't true fans to begin with...

Posted by: MikenMan | September 21, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I like Cooley but he can stuff it. He had a great game, we didn't boo him or anyone specific (well expect maybe Dan). We booed the team he was on. It was a win, yeah. It was an ugly win. That shouldn't be a big deal, but it is. That is becuase this is the 9th ugly game (win/loss aside) in the past 10 outings. I am not saying that we should have blown them out, but we should never have come down to the last drive of the game against a bad team that played a mediocre game.

What I am most upset about is the fact that the team seems more upset about the fact fans are acctually expecting them to back up all their talk, than with themselves for not following through. I want the walk, anything else that comes from this team has faded into background noise.

Posted by: akmzrazor | September 21, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

And for people who say we are not true fans or fair-weather fans because we don't kiss the organizations ass no matter what they do need to just GTFO!!! We pay their salaries and WE pay for their fancy Redskins Park and deserve to get a team that shows some go-nads as a whole!! It pisses me off when a receiver makes a 5 yard catch and dances and prances like he's king sh*t!! Or have a safety who's more interested in making ESPN's hilight reel than tackling!! Or how about batting a ball down and thinking you're an instant Pro Bowler only to get smoked for a game winning TD!!!! They need to get their heads outta their asses and come together as ONE give us something to be happy about!! We have EVERY right to voice our disapproval of this laughing stock of an NFC team...PERIOD!!

Posted by: MikenMan | September 21, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I thought that the play calling was pretty poor also. They should have kicked a field goal on both 4th and 1s. I hate Dan and Vinny as much as anyone out there, but booing is not going to get the message across to that Napoleonic scumbag or his pathetic minion. All it does is anger the guys on the field. And that helps no one. Please, all of you people that booed yesterday, stay home for the Bucs game and write letters to Dan and Vinny. I would rather have a half empty stadium than a stadium full of terrible fans.

Posted by: MeatSweats | September 21, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I live in Texas in the heart of cowgirl country and I'm sick and tired of hearing about how the cowgirls are doing year after year while the Skins struggle. Let's put the blame where it belongs on Vinny and Dan. they have failed year after year to honestly rebuild the O-line. When Gibbs first came to D.C. in 1981 he saw the talent the team had, its recievers, big John Riggins and little Joe Washington, and a defense that only needed some minor work. But he knew that their weakest link was the o-line so Bobby Beathard allowed Joe to rebuild the o-line then just two years later thley won the first of three Super Bowls. We can blame Jason Campbell if we want (he's not the problem) or the recievers or the running backs, or the defense any of whom are not the problem. Even the o-line can be blamed like iI'm doing now, but even they don't hire themselves niether do they replace themselevs. That's the job of the president of player personel and the team owner. I don't really blame the fans for booing yesterday would have too if I were in attendance. I'm sick and tired of this team and they will not be back on top even with all the talent they have until the o-line is truly rebuilt. Dan and Vinny have a the chance to do so the last ten years but they continue to waiste money elsewhere.
For over 30 years I was a fan of the Atlanta Braves and the Florida State Seminoles but have given up on both afters years of waiting for them to get back on top. For that same time (since 1977) I have been a Skins fan but now its time to move on and find another team. It's just down right sicking to even think about them now let alone watch them play. But one thing is for sure whatever team I pick to replace the Skins it sure want be "dem damn cowgirls."

Posted by: rmilton | September 21, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

YES it was time to boo, the players as well as the coach. Skins fans have FINALLY realized that the team is just a pretender not a contender.

They FINALLY see that the skins level of play is just not up to what other teams level of play is and that ALL offensive players including Cooley should be considered for replacement.

I included Cooley after watching the Dallas tightend MAN-HANDLE good defensive linemen AND linebackers from the Giants while Cooley often struggles to do the same.

I didn't want to include Portis because I believe the oline is so pitiful but he is no longer a homerun hitter, something the skins are in desparate need of.

Posted by: keedrow | September 21, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

he fans are restless. We barely scored 9 points against a team that won two games last year, and was shut out in their first game this year. As a true die hard fan, I feel that we are skating by. With all the "firepower" we have, we've managed 26 points in two games. That is not NFC East Champion material. That does not symbolize playoff ready. We haven't looked like a team with confidence and the will to win since LaVar left. Not to say he was the only reason, but every team needs a nasty streak, and we got a bunch of nice guys. I appreciate Jason being more vocal, I appreciate the energy from Orakpo, However, great teams have a leader that refuses to lose. LT/and Rivers in San Diego, Ray in Baltimore, Peyton in Indy, Pierce/Osi/Tuck in NY. We have no one that says "Give me the gosh darned ball." or "I'll make the play and get us off the field." Some of the same issues we had when Gibbs was here, we're still having. Clock management, play calling, defense getting off the field, offense scoring TD's inside the redzone. It's disappointing as a fan to see your favorite team ,middling about doing just enough to not lose a game. We don't seem to come out to win our games, we seem to play to not lose.When Baltimore, Indy, the Giants, the Patriots hit the field, although you know what they are going to do, they make you stop them. We don't have anything that we do well enough that we can make someone have to gameplan for it. I just want to see my Redskins perform up to their capabilities. Partially it is the coaches. Our corners play 10 yards off their receivers, when the first down is 4 yards away. Crazy. Jason Campbell, with as great of an arm he has, is average 10 yards per completion. D-Lo (DeAngelo Hall) made a great point, we got the win; but could have played a hell of a lot better. People want to blame Jason Campbell, but he played a virtually flawless game yesterday. His line gave him time, and he showed whet he could do. Unfortunately, the coaching staff only knows "three yards and a cloud of dust" once we get inside the 10. Sorry for the diatribe people.

Posted by: evansdad964 | September 21, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Hey keedrow, you may be correct in your assessment that this team just can't cut it. You are not right about Cooley. Is he the best tight end in football? No. Is he one of the best? absolutely. But your comment that we should boo the team is pitiful. Maybe a rebuild is necessary, but YOU DO NOT BOO YOUR OWN TEAM AT HOME. Especially two games into the season when your record is 1-1.

Posted by: MeatSweats | September 21, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I boo all of you who think the boos are justified. There are many of us who are real fans who live and die with each win and loss. I was embarrassed that my grandsons who were at the game had to learn how overrated and obnoxious Redskin fans are. I wish all of you who went to the game and booed a team trying its best, a quarterback who had an outstanding game (who never made throws like Romo was to make later) and an offensive line which is undoubtedly weak but struggled to overcome the tragic loss of its best player, I wish all of you would turn back your season tickets and let kids and others who truly love the Redskins buy them. I call your bluff. I will so much more enjoy the games when you bums are gone.

Posted by: richardshaker | September 21, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for the good players and coaches who are putting their all into this team. I won't comment on particulars, because it's all arguable. However, Snyder deserves all the boos that can be mustered. He is a spoiled little brat, and he should sell out to someone who would put the team and the fans above squeezing out every nickel of profit.

And the fans should be booing themselves most of all, for their unrealistic expectations, along with their drunken and boorish fair weather behavior.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | September 21, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I understand the boos. Not necessarily do I condone them, but I realize that at a certain point the niceties cease. We watch year after year as other teams get better, and we are still looking for the magic of '91. Our line is rapidly aging, Moss is aprroaching the wrong side of 30. Portis can't make the big runs anymore because the line doesn't seal like they used to. Some fans are tired of watching the team tread water. No progress. We are tired of living with 8-8 as a successful season.

Posted by: evansdad964 | September 21, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley needs to stick to posting half-naked photos of his wife on the internet and STFU. His insisting that three f'n field goals in five trips to the red zone is a good day, offensively, is absurd. This team hasn't changed or learned a GD thing from last season and I, like everyone else, am fed f'n up with it.

Posted by: MACCHAMPS04 | September 21, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Really?! Players were actually suprised to hear booing after just barely sqeaking by the hapless Rams at home and then stupidly celebrating their "achievement" right in front of us?!! Are you f-ing serious?

Can you imagine a team such as Pitt or NE celebrating like that in front of their fans who just dropped at least $200 and and half their weekend to watch that dysfuntion.

And Cooley's quote is even more disturbing. He basically sounds content with the teams mediocrity. That is one of the biggest problems with this team. The bar has been set so low.

And finally, to some of the players, don't take it so personally - we know you're just caught in the middle of the mess.

WE'RE BOOING THE WORST GAME DAY EXPERIENCE, THE NEVER-ENDING MIND-NUMBING CHATTER FROM THE PA, THE PARKING FIASCO, AND MOSTLY JUST THE WHOLE DYSFUCNTIONAL ORGANIZATION STARTING RIGHT AT THE TOP.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | September 21, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but the DC area is cursed with the worst ownership in sports (with the exception of the Capitals). There will not be a Super Bowl or World Series appearance here until Snyder, the Lerners, and Angelos sell. As for Antwon's Twitter rant about booing fans being ignorant because they work 9-5 at McDonald's, well, all I can say is I hope his career ends on the same note as another famous Redskin - Joe Theisman.

Posted by: hsroth1 | September 21, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

To all of you people that claim that you weren't booing the team so much as the owner and the organization, I have news for you. When you boo at a football game when the team is playing poorly, the owner does not feel that those boos are at him. You can't just boo in a 90,000 person crowd and expect some particular individual in a luxury box is going to know that the boos are being directed at him. Booing the team because you hate the owner is beyond stupid. It is just plain confusing.

Posted by: MeatSweats | September 21, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

So let me break it down for Robert Henson. The fans booed because this team is simply not doing its job. If I performed my job (attorney at an international law firm) with the same lack of focus I would be fired. In the real world, people are expected to produce -- not just try hard. This team is not some small market team with a tiny payroll. There is no shortage of "talent" or "resources" on this team. But there seems to be a real shortage of focus and determination. If this team wants to be supported and cheered they need to start to execute. The other option is for them to call their mothers.

Posted by: lyricist1020 | September 21, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Yes, they deserved to be booed at half time and throughout the game. At the end however...not so much. But Henson can suck it. And I wrote just that in my review of this on WeLoveDC.com today: http://bit.ly/EA5P0

Posted by: karlsjohnson | September 21, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I hope our 3rd string linebacker got a load of Brian Mitchells comments about that Tweet after the game.

I'll break it down:
1) The fans pay your salary.
2) The product is horrible and has been for years, therefore they are getting ripped off.
3) They can boo whoever, whenever they want to and at this stage, they are well justified.
4) Get on the field and make a play before you go start ripping fans who are using their hard earned income to come out to Fed Ex for the worst fan experience in the NFL.
5) After ripping blue collar fans who just don't happen to play a boys game (part -time) for a kings ransom, don't expect to ever be welcome here.....ever.

Posted by: jahs4fun | September 21, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

As a season ticket holder. It is very upsetting to hear the players say "The Fans Will Do What They Want To" We want our team to perform the way that they should perform for their salaries. $8.00 per beer (a case of beer is approx $16.00). $300.00 (Triple the price that it has ever been) for (Green Parking)(The land was paid for by Jack Kent Cooke to move the Redskins there) $5.00 for bottled water (a case of bottled water $3.00 or soda (approx $5). $2000 to $8000 for your tickets per year (After they make the playoffs one year (Ticket Prices increase by 30%). When we have a loosing season or subpar season. (Owner does not say WOW we really rip these fans off the entire season so next season we will make Beer $5.00 and water $2.00 and parking for our beloved fans that come to our games will be back to $100. The fans have ALL THE RIGHT in the world to BOO when it comes their experience at the stadium. (When you consistently treat your home fans bad with responses like "They will do what they want to" V.S taking responsibility of your multimillion dollar jobs)to perform for their at a TOP LEVEL. We do pay a lot of money to watch our home team. We expect more then an after game interview each week of "We should have done better" or "We just didn't execute this week" As for the tweeted Mc D's working 9-5 comment it takes that guy 2 weeks pay to come an watch your lack luster performance on Sunday. You should be proud that he is will to spend that type of money to see you play.

Posted by: spizlarkie1 | September 21, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

As many have stated before, for me, yesterday's booing was more about the boiling point of fan frustration with the whole experience. Starting with the parking, which is clearly worse than last year, the incessant noise on the PA system, (everybody clap your hands!) and then seemingly mediocre onfield play. Have we lost the old magical Redskins feeling that was? Yes. The Squire is rolling in his grave.

Judging from what I saw in the owner’s box yesterday, it appeared that even Mr. Snyder and Mr. Cerrato were less than enthused. Not much emotion & where were all the cuff-link-wearing Washington power-players? Let’s see: Bernie Shaw? Alan Greenspan (who clearly needed a nap) and his boring wife? I suspect they too have decided it’s just not worth a 7-plus hour commitment in time anymore.

That’s why we booed

Posted by: tolojoe | September 21, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about everyone who was at the game, but I was just cheering for Maryland Assistant Basketball Coach Keith Booth. Booooooooooth! (But I was at home on my couch...)

Posted by: mikeinrockville | September 21, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm a realist; I know the Redskins were not going to beat them by 40. But I did want them to score a touchdown -- one touchdown -- against the worst defense in the league. That's likely what set the boobirds off. Had the Skins won 17-7 (two TDs, one FG) instead, or even 13-7 (one TD, two FGs), far fewer people would boo.

But in this situation -- fifth head coach under Snyder, 10th year of this decidedly lackluster offense with little or no hope of any improvement -- I think it is very meet and right for the Redskins fans to holler out their feelings for a subpar product.

It amazes me, a Redskins fan to the end, that people even pay the owner to go into a stadium and boo. I wouldn't even bother buying the ticket. What Snyder's done to the Redskins is not acceptable to me.

Posted by: Meepo | September 21, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Three comments. The ultimate weapon the fans have is not showing up. The fans still care, and that makes them fans. Booing might not be classy, but it's not a classy team.
The play calling is worse than atrocious. You can execute the victory formation from the 4 yard line without taking a delay of game penalty. People wanted them to take a risk and score, not be so pathetic as to get a penalty trying to figure out how to do a victory formation. This team needs to show some guts, and that means scoring touchdowns in the red zone, even if the clock can be run out in V-formation.
The players should all respect the fans, and that means accepting the boos that rain down on them when the team performs poorly. Again, its not classy, but drunk fans are not a likely source of class. If you as a player did well, then you know they are not booing you. Don't take offense at boos that are not directed at you, and don't stand up for the people who are not pulling their weight.

PS
If you want to make small amends for suing cash strapped fans, cut Hansen.

Posted by: Sm4rt3rTh4nY0u | September 21, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

As a fan at Sundays game, who participated in the booing, I think everyone might be a looking a little too far into it: when your upset with a team's performance, be it the warriors themselves or the logistical figures behind them, booing is appropriate. A fan's very presence, considering economic issues, is grounds enough to assure their dedication (at the very least). I must say--despite an earlier claim to avoid over-analyzing the booing--that the end of the second half left a bitter taste in our mouths. It was a sort of catalyst beside the scoreboard; that the teams didn't fight it out to the last second, but let the clock run down... A ram's fan near by and all of us skins fans were equally upset. To come out and not score a TD (in the second half), to get stuffed at the end there (running what seemed to me the same god damn play a few times in a row) was a little too much. What happened on Sunday was upsetting because the redskins affirmed that, even if they are a better team than the Rams (based on statistics) they are in the same league as them (based on the score). And what hopeful fan can respond to that with applause?

Posted by: robo3345 | September 21, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

wait until they lose next week in Detroit. Do they think the boo's will go away when they return for the Tampa game?

Posted by: erico31us | September 21, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I had the game on the radio as I was driving to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription. When I arrived at the pharmacy, the ball was on the five yard line and the Skins were ready to put seven points on the board. I started to sit in the car and wait for the next play so I could hear Sonny and Sam yell touchdown!, but based on past results I knew they would be lucky to score a field goal. I shut the car off, went inside for ten minutes, came back, turned on the radio and sure enough, three points.

This not unique to Jim Zorn. I've seen this happen year in and year out for almost 20 years. It's become painful to watch. At one time the Skins had an owner that was more interested in winning than the bottom line. Amazingly once the team started winning the profits followed. I think that's called a win-win situation. Unfortunately Dan doesn't get it.

I'm not going to waste your time writing about the Fed-Ex Field experience. I'm not a fair weather fan. As long as Dan is the owner, I'm going to be a non fan.

Posted by: hodgensrn | September 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

So they love it when we cheer and hate us when we "boo"... so where is the incentive in performing at a high level when you get support either way?

We're not your mother, we won't love you unconditionally. And you won't love US if we don't pay for tickets to pay your multi-million dollar contract.

This is economics. You bring us joy and entertainment, we praise you for it. You stink up the house against the rams, get ready for the hurt.

Posted by: massiveBrains | September 21, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Amen, MassiveB. So, so true. MeatSweats -- you should listen to MB. Oh, and anyone still shelling out their hard earned dollars for the hassle of trekking to FedEx to watch a team that has not been good since the early 90s is not "half hearted" or not a "real fan." Folks who keep cheering for losers at home and giving their money for an inferior product are suckers. If you "support the home team no matter what" then nothing will change.

Posted by: buster5 | September 21, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The fact that not one of these guys said, "Man, the fans booed the heck out of us today, we better start playing better so it doesn't happen again" speaks to the character of the guys on this team. Maybe that "100%" effort they are giving isn't quite everyone elses view of "100%," more like 75%. The teams that win consistently in the NFL understand what true "100%" effort is; usually about 25% more than the guy across from you.

Posted by: JCNKY | September 21, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

fans have the right 2 boo,they pay their money & expect a certain level of entertainment,or level of performance.personaly i think the booing was directed more so @ the coaching/play calling.

Posted by: w_mo2 | September 21, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Fred Smoot voice of reason.

Fans can boo, because we want to. People who work 9-5 at McDonalds can't AFFORD to go to a football game. It's serious cash to show up at a game. It's one thing to lose, but another thing not to look like you're even playing in the same league.

Posted by: KH20003 | September 22, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

The game day experience at FEDEX is one of the worst in the NFL. For fans that fight through that experience they expect to be rewarded with a high level of play.

Poor play calling, using up timeouts before they are needed, silly personal fouls etc. are what has become the norm for the Redskins. This is contrasted with the glory days where RFK was a tradition and Joe Gibbs teams made few silly mistakes.

The sum of the Snyder years has weighed heavy on true fans and the boos in my opinion were more reflective of that then Sunday's game.

The Redskins need to pay the fans back with motivated gutsy performances rather than a win is a win attitude. Own up to the level of your play and come out Sunday against the Lions and show the fans you have heard them and they deserve your best for all they go through to support and pay your salaries.

Posted by: ala1 | September 22, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Even ExtremeSkins is a joke!! The mods are paid to ban all Snyder bashers. Which makes me ask..."How are there ANY members left?!!"

Posted by: MikenMan | September 27, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse