Sonny and Zorn Joust After Week One's Loss

When I posted the transcript of Jim Zorn's sort of awkward post-game interview with Sonny Jurgensen last weekend, I hadn't realized that the two also had a frosty exchange after the opening-week loss to the Giants. It's really hard to tell how serious the men are in these exchanges, so I'd encourage you to watch them and decide for yourself at Redskins.com. (You need to scroll through the archives to the post-game interview links.) Judging from Zorn's body language (Sonny isn't visible), it seems, again, a bit awkward and uncomfortable, if nothing else.

(Jason Reid wrote more about both incidents on the Insider.)

Here's what was said, starting with Larry Michael's first question:

Larry Michael: Coach what do you think the keys to that game were today? What was the difference today at the Meadowlands?

Jim Zorn: Well, part of our key was in the first quarter, we had the ball four plays. We have to look at all the weird things that happened, but we didn't have the ball much. In the second quarter, we came back, we finally put a score on the board. I thought we were gonna come back and win the game and we just left too much out there. We really, we really left a little bit too much out there. Disappointing.

Sonny Jurgensen: Again, one offensive touchdown.

Zorn: Thank you (looks to Michael).

Jurgensen: I mean, this is something we've been talking about. You know, you've got to get into the end zone.

Zorn: Yes (looks to Michael).

Michael: Jim, you said weird things happened at the front of that game, and it was odd, they had time of possession so much in their favor but your defense held them out of the end zone. In fact, that fourth-down situation, you had to draw some power from that, I think.

Zorn: Yeah, I think that what happened, we had two really good--I wouldn't say goal-line stands--but gosh, we did keep them out of the end zone, we made them kick field goals, and we've got to do our part on offense. We fumbled, we threw a pick, we lacked some of the poise in certain situations...

Etc. I include the first and last responses merely to show that Zorn wasn't necessarily in a terse mood, he was just responding tersely to one particular fellow. Now, later in the interview, Jurgensen asked other, less confrontational questions, and Zorn provided his usual articulate replies, while looking at Jurgensen, and without any hostility. But the first two questions just didn't seem to go to well.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 22, 2009; 2:54 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Final Word on Robert Henson
Next: Clinton Portis: "We All Believe"

Comments

yawn

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know much about Jim Zorn. As a lifelong Redskin fan I know plenty about Sonny Jurgensen. It is Sonny's job as a broadcaster to ask the questions that the fans want the answers to. Maybe at this time Sonny needs to drop a bug in Dan Snyders ear about limiting Zorns reach when it comes to the many hats Jim wears. You need to be really good at ONE job, not mediocre at three. You have your choice, you can be the head coach, or you can be the OC, or you can coach the QBs,you cant do all three. I am trying to like Jim Zorn, but at the very outset when he did not know (or care to be informed) that the Redskins colors are B&G, I should have known that something was not right with this guy. He needs to open his playbook, open his ears, and open his eyes, and take the friendly advice of a Hall Of Fame QB. Stop trying to get slick and outguess the D. Do what got you to the redzone, and stick it in the endzone. Everybody would be much happier.

Posted by: copierce4 | September 22, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

At some point I want to see someone yell at zorn YOU LIE!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 22, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I said it before and I'll say it again, Redskins fans will be calling Zorn a genius (again) in a few weeks. The same people that called him a genius at 6-2 last year are the same people who think he should be fired today, and they will be the same people dubbing him a genius at 5-1 or 5-2 next month.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

This whole week has come down to a discussion (or should I say attack) of Zorn's play calling. It's f'n Week 3 people. His plays haven't worked (for the most part) for 2 weeks. Let's give it some more time before we burn the city down. All plays are bad plays if they don't work. I can't see us going the whole season without ANY plays working. It's the law of averages...the plays will work in due time and everyone in the DMV will be happy.

We knew with our team that we'd play in alot of 14-10, 17-16, 9-7 games....we just didn't plan for it to be against the Rams. Now we know. Expect a 10-6 record with no wins by more then 3 points. That's just who we are this year.

That is all....carry on...

Posted by: fushezzi | September 22, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I almost wish we weren't playing the Lions this week. If we don't blow them out, the anger from Redskins fans will be even louder than it is right now. And god forbid we lose, all hell will break loose.

It's like Fight Night back in the frat house. i never wanted to fight someone smaller than me, bc if I lost I would have to hear about it. And there really wasn't anything to gain by winning, since you're supposed to beat a little guy. I'd rather face someone bigger and take my chances and maybe lose since you're supposed to...and if you win it's a pleasant surprise.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I almost wish we were playing the (insert whoever is the current favorite to win the super bowl?) this week. More to gain, less to lose.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 22, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Jurgensen wasn't asking Zorn any question -- he was in his face, critical, giving his opinion and screaming "it didn't work!" Sonny is an arrogant gasbag who should not be doing "interviews."

Posted by: KWall1 | September 22, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

please no supporting of sonny getting in danny boy's ear. thats what gave us jeff george (and i have a sneaking suspicion it gave us larry michael as well)

Posted by: PindarPushkin | September 23, 2009 4:32 AM | Report abuse