Stephon Heyer's WWE Intro

Still looking for an image of Heyer's intro. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

Since I was still in the FedEx Field parking lot, I completely missed right tackle Stephon Heyer's introduction Friday night. Turns out I missed a show. The first I heard of it came from Rocky McIntosh, on Twitter:

"I forgot did anybody happen to catch stephon heyer player intro at the beginning of da patriots game??This guts confidence is threw the roof...No helmet , dancing wowow get it Stephon his swagger is at a all time high nobody in the locker room can talk about him."

The introduction involved Heyer taking off taking off his helmet, giving it to Scott Burley ("He's a rookie, who else was gonna do it, Chris Samuels?" Heyer asked), shaking out his hair, pointing to both sides of the stadium, and doing some sort of pose. Problem was, Heyer didn't want to talk about it.

"I'm not gonna even describe it, I just had one of those days, just having fun, preseason game, probably will never do it again," he said. "It's not even up to my interpretation. I'm just having fun. If everybody else wants to say something about it, let them talk about it."

Fine, fine. Pretty straightforward. So instead, I asked a few random teammates to talk about Heyer's swagger.

"Did you see his introduction?" Casey Rabach asked. "Swagger. That's what I thought when I saw it."

"His intro? It was good, it was classy," McIntosh said. "Pure Stephon."

"The best part about it--and I really didn't know what he did because I was in the huddle--was Reed Doughty mocked him, and the locker room went crazy," Chris Cooley said.

Oh he did, huh?

"Well, the only thing I said is that when a corner or a running back comes out and does some sort of spectacle for the audience, it's expected, but when an offensive lineman takes their helmet off and does a little WWF entrance, I was a little taken aback," Doughty joked. "That's Stephon's personality, it's fine. It's just not what you see from most offensive lineman."

Since Heyer wasn't talking about what it all meant, we instead asked him to talk about his increasing comfort and job security in year two as a starter.

'In my position, I feel like yeah, I've grown leaps and bounds from where I used to be," Heyer said. "Now that I know where I'm supposed to be, you know what I mean, there's no guessing, left tackle, right tackle, maybe here and there. I've had a chance to just work on my position, so my confidence is a little bit better....I haven't had that much time in this position and on the field, so as the years go on and God willing I'm in the same position and doing well, then I can say, yeah, I'm established, you know what I mean? But not yet. You can't really say I'm the best in the world, when I haven't really done anything. I haven't really done anything. I've got still work to do...

"The fear was whether I was gonna be here. It's gone a little past that I now from when I came in. Now it's just like I've got a spot at least, so the fear of that Grim Reaper coming to get me is gone. It was there, like every other guy that had to come into the league and had to show and prove themselves."

But was any of this linked to his introductory greeting Friday night? Who knows, because Heyer wasn't saying. He was, as you might have heard, just having fun. As were his teammates.

"I mean, I get made fun of for everything under the sun," Doughty said. "I don't dance, I don't have any pregame sock ritual, I can't hear a thing, that's a big one....Usually I don't make fun, because usually I don't want to get made fun of back, but I had to."

And I also asked Rabach whether he would be copying Heyer's moves.

"[Hell] no," Rabach said. "He looked like a damn idiot."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 1, 2009; 4:09 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clinton Portis on Turning 28 and John Riggins
Next: A Message From Stephen Strasburg to D.C.

Comments

FIRST!

Posted by: beans84 | September 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I think its fantastic that the Redskins can get so lucky with the OL that my man FRIDGE from the terps provides. Heyer is a stud. I used to party with the guy at MD and upon first meeting him i thought he was on the basketball team. Just take a look at the last few years and how UMD linemen have made NFL squads. If you didnt get to read another article about a former UMD DT and NFL player, and good friend of mine, Conrad Bolston. Check it out:

Go Terps! GO SKINS!

Posted by: beans84 | September 1, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Barno is fuming mad over the WaPost's latest hit piece...this time the subject is the Redskins and their ticket office, and how they sold tickets to brokers. The story is so slanted you have to read it with your head turned at a 45 degree angle. The story fails to mention the Post's own personal ticket issues in the past with the Redskins, and how the team yanked them away from the paper when they were found to be scalping them online. Cardinal rule of journalism: ALWAYS GIVE FULL DISCLOSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The story also fails to mention where they found this stuff out from, who tipped them off, that it makes no difference whether they sold them to fans or not because so many fans scalp them anyway, that there would have been a huge steelers presence at that game last year regardless of this issue, and that the Post has most likely been sitting on this story for weeks if not months, waiting for the best time to release it....on the eve of the season opener.

Cancel your subscriptions folks

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Folks, here is why the Post not giving full disclosure on their own ticket history with the Redskins is a big deal:

The whole point of this story was to make it seem like there were so many steelers fans (and cowboys, eagles, any road team etc) at Fed Ex because the Redskins were selling tickets to brokers. Ok, but the Redskins sold tickets to the Post for years and years and those very same tickets ended up going to visiting team fans as well, after the Post sold their tickets to brokers!

You miiiiiiight be a hypocrite...if you're complaining about a team selling tickets to brokers when you did the same thing with your tickets.

If the post had given full disclosure, they couldn't have even published the story because of how hypocritical they would have looked.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 2, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice Stephon!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Stephon, if pimp slapping is going to help you block better, slap away, son. Slap away.

Posted by: pgugino | September 2, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

or am I the only one thinking that while eyeing this photo?

Posted by: pgugino | September 2, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse