Trevor Matich Reflects on Greg Blache Incident

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Chatting at 11:30. Submit questions here.

No, this story won't mean much of anything in mid-September, but since people were still talking about it Monday, let's have one more go at it.

Both Trevor Matich and Greg Blache referenced their somewhat heated postgame interview in separate conversations Monday. One guy continued to take the high road. And one seems awfully ready for the regular season to begin.

Matich was on 106.7's The LaVar Arrington (and Chad Dukes) Show on Monday, and Dukes asked him pretty directly why he thought Blache had reacted with such passion to his question about the pass rush.

"Well, you know, I don't know," Matich said. "And I've always had a good experience in asking Coach Blache questions. I think probably people should just, if they're curious about it, just Google it and see what they think. I think people can decide for themselves whether or not the question was relevant to the moment, and they can decide for themselves how each of us comported themselves. Let people decide for themselves. I don't want to speak for Coach Blache. I want the team to be successful this year, and that's really...It's hard for me to speak about it, because there's really no way for anybody to look good."

Which is true, and which is why it probably won't be much discussed after this week.

"It was relevant," Arrington said, to close the segment. "I'll say it for you. It was a relevant question. It was relevant."

As for Blache, he addressed the media on Monday, and at least what was shown on Redskins.com contained no overt references to the Matich incident. But the first question concerned the lack of an intense pass rush against the Patriots, and there seemed to be some sly references to certain critics in Blache's response.

"It's a combination of things," Blache said. "I think some of it was what [the Patriots] were doing. They did a lot more max protection, they did some quick throws, they did quick throws on first down, a lot of play action. I think when they had to go to a passing game and went to a lot of passing game, I think guys did [pressure the QB]. Brady didn't hurt himself out there. He didn't trip over grass. So somebody hit him then, and he had another sack the play before.

"You know, I think people make a big deal out of one play or two plays, but I don't care who you are, how great you are at--as they claim--rushing the passer. You look at tape and there's gonna be a down or two where there's not gonna be the pressure that you want, the ultimate pressure that you want all the time, and guys are gonna have time. The third and one, [Brady] had time. He actually had a quarterback sneak called to start with, checked out of the sneak,went into the gun and threw it, and we had guys on the back of it that didn't react, that didn't help the guys up front, but we had taken all the rushers out and had big people in for third and one.

"So, you know, everybody's gonna have an opinion on things all the time. The thing we have to do is look at it and know what we've got to accomplish, know who we are and go with it. And, like we always say, do it deftly."

Earlier in his 106.7 appearance, Matich had been asked why he was so concerned about this so-called "rushing the passer" issue, and he gave a fairly measured response.

"I think fans are talking about the very same things," he said. "The question that I asked Greg Blache, the defensive coordinator, after the game against the Patriots was not what was wrong with the lack of sacks. I asked the question, how would you evaluate the pass rush today. The reason is that we had a point of emphasis in the offseason. The Redskins brought in a hundred-million dollar free agent and a first-round draft choice there, and I just wanted to know how he felt it went that day, so the fans would know where he thought things were....I think people can just judge for themselves what kind of a question that was. It's not 60 Minutes. This isn't after a loss that cost the playoffs. It's the preseason."

Indeed, it is. Which is why I'm still writing about this, instead of more important issues, like the origins of Colt Brennan's visor. We'll get to that later, I guess.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 1, 2009; 9:03 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On Malcolm Kelly, Grills, Cows and Smiles
Next: Brett Haber Adds "Newspaper Columnist" to Resume

Comments

I think Coach Blache has a chip on his shoulder when it come to questioning the Dline b/c he used to be their coach.
I understand sticking up for your dudes but my opinion is that the question was not out of line. Matich is a grown man, i'm sure he didn't run home to mommy after that exchange but I felt bad for him b/c he asked a legit question and got berated for it.

Posted by: priceisright | September 1, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I'm sticking up for Blache on this. It's pre-season and there is, honestly, a lot more to defense than pass rush. Blache isn't concerned and I think he just got tired of jumping media hoops ad nauseum. Granted he gets paid for those post-game Comcast interviews, but so what? Blache is the only coach on the Skins staff that talks and acts like a real coach. I can't stand Zorn's "oh gosh" Leave It to Beaver attitude. Blache, proceed as planned, sir. You are on schedule. That is all.

Posted by: pgugino | September 1, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

The Lavar Arrington Show is possibly the worst show on the radio.

Trevor is a tool...

It's the F-ing pre-season...

And for once we actually have a pass rush.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | September 1, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Was BLATCHE on the coaching staff when ARRINGTON was a REDSKIN? That might color the.... "relevant, it was relevant".... quote from LaVAR.

I'm much smaller that MATICH in every way, physiologically as well as emotionally. I might take the high road too, but every question put to BLATCHE in the future would have a point to it, and I don't mean relevance solely.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 1, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Blache is an ARSE!! He back-stabbed coach Williams, and he still hasn't learned the English language. Maddock was not being critical of the pass rush or the defense for that matter, he was just asking for Blache's evaluation, opinion, thoughts, in regards to the pass rush - he was doing his job as a reporter which is to inquire and report, not to comment.
The Redskins are a reflection of their coaches, and you know how that is, I let the record speak for itself.

Posted by: hock1 | September 1, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Matich deserved it solely for all the stupid crap he's said over the years.

Posted by: cecathcart3 | September 1, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

That makes for two Blatche's in this town that cannot help bring their team to a competitive level.

Posted by: t-train | September 1, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I didn't really have a problem with it. Blache is right.

My 3 year-old nephew could of come up with a better question for the coach.

Posted by: filmchis | September 1, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"I'm sticking up for Blache on this. It's pre-season and there is, honestly, a lot more to defense than pass rush."

Posted by: pgugino | September 1, 2009 10:03 AM

True, but there is a $100 million dollar man on the defensive line. Sorry, but the pass rush is going to be the main focus of the defense this year because of that.

Posted by: richie_sheppard | September 1, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm perfectly willing to be a blind Redskins homer when called for. And I have no love for the media. But Blache was a complete a-hole to Matich ESPECIALLY given that Blache is PAID to do those appearances on the COMCAST post game show. It was an innocuous and completely pertinent question. Blache owes him an apology.

Posted by: poguesmahone | September 1, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Boo hoo....maybe Matich should show up ready for work!

It's like having an artist paint your portrait but when you show up all he can do is draw stick figures!

Posted by: filmchis | September 1, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Long story short: Blache overreacted. Kudos to Matich for taking the high road, remaining calm, not getting defensive. Even good defensive coordinators have a bad day now and then.

Posted by: MrMerkin | September 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@SmallPen15

I'm sorry, but the Lavar Arrington show is AMAZING. Simply Amazing. Far and away the best program on the radio. Where else can you hear the most hypocritical and STUPID person to be allowed television access on a daily basis? Comedy gold I tells ya.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | September 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Danny Snyder loves Penn State.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | September 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Now we know why Coach Blache has never been a head coach. Coach Blache don't do interviews anymore if you can't show a little respect. Our pass rush has sucked all the way back until Dexter Manley and Charles Mann were on the field. Semed like a fair question to me.

Posted by: mole | September 1, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Obviously I was the only person to read this article to realize that a 15 yard penalty was called on the sideline during the Pats game. I think someone on the coaching staff yelled at the referees about the Pats holding the defensive lineman at end and the interior. I juuuussst might be coincedence that the pass rush become much more effective after that personal foul call from the sidelines! The passing attack became less effective and that is whenthe pressure increased and Brady was clobbered on a good clean hit and on a relatively short dropback. I think coaches in the NFL get fined if they talk badly about the officiating. Matich could have said I saw improvement on the line while the starters were in. Or what was that call on the sidelines about? WOW! Did anyone notice the Patriots did not score on the opening drive? Moss is a freak and I think he had something to show after the facemask. I think DHall will be better off and more prone to listening after this performance. Matich did not watch the same game I saw that all I saw and from an ex players standpoint? MMM...

Posted by: zariah | September 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

coach blatche is a moron and i wish the idiots in charge of the skins had not tried so hard to bring him back. That guy does not coach a pressure defense, he coaches a contain defense that is not conducive to big plays either way for the most part. It is what it is. No matter who we have rushing the QB, his defense will focus mostly on being reactive instead of getting after the QB. it sucks, there are no creative blitzes, nothing. Lesser defenses will have more sacks and turnovers, we will have a statistically acceptable defense is all

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm no fan of the Comcast show or the guys on it, but Blache came off like a total horse's ass.

Next time I hope he takes his media frustration out on that Snyder henchman Larry Michael. What a joke that sleazeball is.

Posted by: thediesel | September 1, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse