Vinny Cerrato Punks Marcus Mason

(2002 photo by Jonathan Newton - TWP)

So, after two near-misses and a multi-city practice squad odyssey, how did Marcus Mason finally find out he made the Redskins' 53-man roster?

"Actually, I didn't get a call," he said Monday on the LaVar and Dukes show. "I was at Redskins Park after treatment, I had to get treatment...and I was just sitting there. And Vinny Cerrato came down the stairs, and he was like, 'Mase, I need to talk to you.' And I was like, 'Aww no, are you serious?'

Then Ashton Kutcher jumped out from Albert Haynesworth's locker, and Cerrato launched the reveal.

"He was like, 'Nah, I'm just playing with you this time,' " Mason continued. "He's like, 'Nah, you can chill out, you can go home and chill now.' That's when I knew."

That Vinny! What a card!

Anyhow, the other great part about the Mason news is that it continued the DMVification of the Redskins' roster. From a high school perspective, you have Mason (Georgetown Prep), Edwin Williams (DeMatha), Byron Westbrook (DeMatha), Kevin Barnes (Old Mill), Will Montgomery (Centreville) and J.D. Skolnitsky (Fairfax). Then add Stephon Heyer (Maryland), DeAngelo Hall (Virginia Tech) and Onrea Jones (Hampton), and you've got nine out of 61.

Mason actually grew up as a Cowboys fan, but he said he's starting to like Redskins fans, which is convenient.

"You couldn't ask for more," he said of playing for the hometown team. "And I remember when I was down for a second against the Patriots, I heard my name. The fans, they were chanting my name, and that's when I knew, I'm loved here, and I really have to stay here. I've got to try even harder to make this roster, just to be home, in my hometown, with great Redskins fans. Even though I grew up a Cowboys fan, I'm starting to love the Redskins fans."

Mason also talked about his much-discussed weakness at special teams.

"Growing up, I played defense for two years and that was in high school," he said. "And ever since then I was playing running back. To be asked to make a tackle, it's a little tough for me, but I'll tell you what, kick the ball to me, we might be able to do something. Put the ball in my hands, we might be able to do something. But right now, I'm working on the tackles, getting with Danny Smith. He's gonna help me get into the right spot and everything and we'll take it from there. But right now, no, tackling ain't my best thing. I didn't go to Penn State, I wasn't a linebacker."

Though if he had gone to Penn State, his DMV credentials would be ever further burnished.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 8, 2009; 10:37 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2009-2010 Redskins Odds
Next: Morning Bog: Hunter Smith in the Bathroom

Comments

You better learn to make a tackle cause thats proobably the only time you'll see the field is on special teams.

Posted by: DG28 | September 8, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

he grew up a cowboys fan? I am officially off the Mason bandwagon.

Posted by: tedunni1 | September 8, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I too am not happy to hear that Mason grew up a Cowboys fan. The kid who grew up in DC but roots for the Cowboys is the worst kind of human being on the planet. Everyone knows someone just like this...they are the worst.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 8, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Screw you, Mason. And to think I supported you.

Posted by: benevolentanarchist | September 8, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

he can redeem himself by dropping a century on the cowchicks this season...

Posted by: merajc86 | September 8, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | September 8, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------
I know Cowgirl fans who couldn't tell you what state that the Cowgirls play in, but just want to be the ugly duckling by rooting for them....

Posted by: ENJOYA | September 8, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope you are all kidding about not rooting for this kid because he grew up as a kid rooting for the Cowboys.... so what! He is a Redskin now and that's all that matters... kids make mistakes :)

Posted by: rvanags | September 8, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Im not kidding! I wont root for him to succeed anylonger. Cowboy fan!!! What an idiot to say that to a reporter who covers the Skins...Not a bright bulb is he?

Posted by: ocskins | September 8, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up, Francis!

Posted by: fan-o-matic | September 8, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is the epitome of professionalism.....NOT! Joe Gibbs would have tossed his butt out on the street personally if that were to happen under his watch.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 8, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell was a Cowboy fan as was Malcom Kelly

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | September 8, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

OK, if he had been a bank robber or murderer, we might have found it in our hearts to forgive him and still cheer him on.

But a Cowboys fan? The unforgiveable sin.

Posted by: InTheMiddle | September 8, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I've seen a Quizno's sandwich maker with more professionalism than Vinny. I seriously doubt that this team could win 6 games this year.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 8, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Danny Snyder loves Penn State.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line, offensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | September 8, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Marcus,
You go hang some points on the Cowpatties and all will be forgiven.

Hail!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 8, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Too bad that the NFL has a stupid rule that only allows 45 players to dress each game. Mason will probably not see the field unless thers's an injury. If a team is allowed a 53 man roster, it should be allowed to play all of their players.

Posted by: pennstate1 | September 8, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

But a Cowboys fan? The unforgiveable sin.
------------------------------------------

I think you are a backwards idiot who has nothing better to do than spit diarrhea nonsense out of your mouth. You are a sick individual and need to be committed for that assenine statement. Following a certain rival isn't even in the same ball park as cheering on a murderer or bank robber. I think your mother dropped you 1 too many times. Football should never be taken in a way that is derrogatory toward any decent human being. Cowboy fan or not.

Posted by: pbmingie | September 8, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Many D.C.-based Cowboys fans grew up rooting for Dallas because they signed and started black players while the Washington NFL franchise didn't (and wouldn't) until years later.
Not all D.C.-based Cowboys fans follow them for silly, shallow reasons.

Posted by: WaPoPimp | September 8, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

And some of us even lived in Dallas during those years when fandom develops. There are plenty of legitimate Cowboys fans in DC - I don't know why Skins fans feel the need to crap on people for where they grew up.

Posted by: Josh86 | September 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse