Wacky Fan Photos From Rams Game

I get a lot of e-mails from fans after Redskins home games. Here was my favorite from this week, not counting the "Put in Colt Brenan!" one. Which was actually not a joke.

I was just wondering if you'd heard from any other people who were at [Sunday's] Skins game about all the bees in the upper deck. My seats are in Section 443 and there were a number of yellow jackets swarming during the entire game. I'm wondering if it could be a plot by Snyder (a la Dr. Evil and his sharks with friggin lasers) to convince us cheap seat holders to upgrade to the club level where one day (fingers crossed!) we may get sued by the team.

I don't know if there were really bees in the upper deck, or if Daniel Snyder really has sharks with friggin lasers, but it was a good e-mail anyhow. And it shows that the fans of FedEx weren't spending the entire afternoon booing the home team. They were also being creative. Which leads me to my second-favorite e-mail of the week, from Reader Brad:

We saw this guy walking around the stadium shirtless [Sunday] showing off his Skins back tattoos. People were following him around like the paparazzi snapping camera phone pics, including me. How can I send these to you?

You can see the back tattoo man yourself, up above. He's not quite on Redskins Tattoo Guy's level, but he's pretty close.

Some more pictoral highlights.

The Good: The guy on the left made this t-shirt himself, if I heard him correctly. It's exceedingly excellent, although I guess you could argue it's missing a reference to D.C.'s most successful pro sports team. No, not the Kastles. The guy on the right brought at least four jerseys to the game, and changed them based on which unit was on the field. Plus, he looked weird.

The Bad: Seriously, you can't think of a better way to fix up your out-of-date No. 48 jersey than with duct tape and a blue marker? And seriously, Archuleta? I think wearing Rams Archuleta is worse than wearing Skins Archuleta. At least the latter could be considered ironic.

The Ugly: Wrong stadium, 'hon.

The Ridiculous: I can count at least three mistakes here: 1) He's an Eagles fan, and 2) He's supporting the team's most outlandishly controversial player who's never even played a real down, and 3) He's doing so at FedEx Field during a game between the Rams and Redskins. Thanks to Reader Kev for this pic.

The Awesome: Ok, this was technically taken Monday night at the Caps preseason game, but it was sent in by a Skins season ticket holder, and it reminds me that the day is soon coming when a very very successful local team will begin playing real games. Plus, this is sweet, no?

The Offensive: After I saw the t-shirt on the left, which some of you will no doubt argue honors the brave fighting spirit of Native Americans, I figured that was the most offensive shirt I'd see on this day. Then I ran into Mr. Favre Packers Jersey Guy. That's a lot worse.

The Jersey Foulers: Does the 8 refer to Mark Brunell? Does the Stretch refer to Brett Leonhardt?

The Headgear: The guy on the left is wearing a homemade Skins hat that is one of the best pieces of Redskins headgear I've ever seen. As for these two guys on the right, I might have snapped their photo before, but the color coordination is just so wonderful that it can't be highlighted enough. Well done, to all three of you.

The Redeemer: See, it's guys like this that make me feel better about sports fandom, 9-7 oozing pus sores of pain aside. Sure, his team can't score, and can't win playoff games, and he has to pay half his mortgage for a corporate approved hamburger, and he's stuck in a crummy stadium, but damn it all he's still gonna wear his cape and motorcycle helmet and sunglasses and just be a little bit weird for four or five hours on a Sunday afternoon. And as long as he keeps doing so, I'll still be there to take his picture with my phone.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 23, 2009; 10:37 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Greenberg Rants on Skins and Twitter
Next: Fred Smoot's House is For Sale

Comments

A ravens fan in a sleeveless T, class.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 23, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

According to Robin Givhan, the hand warmer thingy is what really makes the Redeemer's outfit, Cheese.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 23, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

There were bees in the parking lot too. The bees are very in your face this time of year. Has nothing to do with Dan Synder. But the $8 beers, thats Mr Synder fault!

Posted by: wm_mulholland | September 23, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"A ravens fan in a sleeveless T, class."
Posted by: alex35332

About as classy as a white trash shirtless fan with Redskins tattoos on his back.

Posted by: Berghead | September 23, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

First time in 5-6 years that I've ever seen bees in the parking lot and a sporadic one in the stadium during the game. It was sort of noticeable, but mostly because my sister and girlfriend (two separate people) freak out whenever a bee is near...which added to the excitement and fun of the tailgate.

Posted by: Section104 | September 23, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I think the best jersey I saw all day was the #8 Redskins jersey with Ovechkin on the back. Well done, sir.

Oh, and motorcycle helmet guy was sitting a few rows in front of me. He wasn't nearly as animated as I thought he'd be, but still...that's devotion.

Posted by: -swb | September 23, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

----------------------

4) The brother wearing the Cooley jersey....depending on who you talk to. In some areas I'd assume this doesn't fly.

Posted by: fushezzi | September 23, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fushezzi | September 23, 2009 11:23 AM

HA!! Well played.

And yes, there were bees EVERYWHERE. Parking lot and upper deck.

Posted by: smoke26 | September 23, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Yup, bees in the upper decks (440) and the parking lot. My favorite jersey of the day was a number 47 and on the back COOOOOOLEY. We didn't boo in 440 except when the Rams came out. I think there's just too much anger in the whole country right now, and I just don't get it.

Posted by: wireman65 | September 23, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The Offensive: I have to admit I got a little bit excited (and ashamed) when I saw this. I used to rock that 'warpath' shirt as a pre-teen in the good old days.

Posted by: pjtaylor03 | September 23, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

...my sister and girlfriend (two separate people) freak out whenever a bee is near...

Posted by: Section104 | September 23, 2009 11:14 AM

Unintentionally hilarious. Good work, you gotta watch your back in these here comment sections.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

That guy didn't make that shirt, I own the same one. I bought it here

Posted by: Mtortora | September 23, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse