What to Do With Free Skins Tickets?

A question straight from the barricades of the Burgundy Revolution, via Reader E., and it's a good one. Redskins fans who are trying to get the kindling going will face many such questions in the coming weeks, assuming a few wins don't throw water on these fledgling flames. Anyhow, the question:

I need some Burgundy Revolution advice....I had already sharpened my pitchfork prongs and soaked my best torch rag in fuel when my girlfriend told me that she has four free tickets (from her father) to Sunday's game. I would love nothing more than to contribute to FedEx being checkered with empty seats Sunday, but I also don't want to insult a man generous enough to offer me free tickets. What should I do?

See, the proletarian has been facing this question for centuries? How to handle revolution when you're being doused with large Gatorade jugs filled with the opiate of the masses, in this case, free tickets and who knows, maybe some Johnny Rockets fries on top. I'll leave the question to you, dear revolutionary readers.

My own sense is it matters if you're more committed to revolution or recreation. I don't fault you for either approach, but if you're chanting the chants and wearing the bandana Monday through Saturday, you can't very well slip it off on Sundays.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 29, 2009; 1:54 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Fan Sells Fandom on eBay
Next: Redskins Fans, the Caps, and the Bandwagon

Comments

I hear free Tickets make great torch rags.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Like the Sports Junkies suggested grab a paper bag, put it over your head and go to the game.

Posted by: HuyChuong | September 29, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I turned down free club seats for the Oct. 18th game against the Chiefs. Revolutions don't start without sacrifice.

Posted by: Arlington_VA | September 29, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | September 29, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, if you really want a revolution, why not sell the tickets to fans from the opposing teams? Sure it's a story when the Steelers have almost as many fans show up for a Monday night game, but can you imagine the embarrasment if the stadium Sunday was filled with Buc fans!?!"

Because Dan the tiny little Man still makes money off of them....don't go to the games, and if you do, don't buy ANYTHING in the stadium.

Posted by: Arlington_VA | September 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

No way a true revolutionary takes those tickets. Empty seats are going to speak very loudly - even if Snyder still has his money from them, it's a public humiliation and repudiation.

But if you cave and go anyway - DO NOT BUY ANYTHING. And take Metro and walk to the stadium. If you pay for parking or buy and food, drinks or merchandise, you're making yourself part of the problem and undermining the Revolution

Posted by: thediesel | September 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If the tickets are free, by all means go. just DON'T BUY ANYTHING. No food, drinks, programs, or any such thing.

Posted by: pitchfork2 | September 29, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Take them and set them on fire right in front of the ticket window.

Posted by: futbolclif | September 29, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

You really really REALLY want to mess with him. Don't not go, don't give the tix to another teams fans. Here is what you do. Accept them, and mail the tickets to Redskins park with a note on why you're not going to use the tickets.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Clarification - the girlfriend got the tickets from her dad, hence the 'insult a man' line.

Posted by: efa108 | September 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: efa108 | September 29, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | September 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The tickets are already paid for. snyder already has his money. So you can go. Make your opinion known then. Don't buy anything. Tailgate with your store bought items. Sneak in a flask and have fun.

Posted by: jsm3 | September 29, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"If your planing on ever making a "honest woman" out of the GF then sadly I think you have to either take them and go, or decline the offer in a gracious way."

---

If It's the GFs dad, I gotta agree with this one. Suck it up and go this time, but don't buy a single thing. At some point in the future, drop a hint about the revolution/boycott to the father...

"Thanks so much for the tickets! It was bitersweet knowing that was the last Redskins game I will be attending for the forseeable future." -- or something like that would probably work.

Posted by: VTDuffman | September 29, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: justskinfan1 | September 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________________

Is that all that you cheer for, the name? Does the team that you loved since you were a kid resemble the current team on the field in any way?

Posted by: jbanks979 | September 29, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"For all you upset fans, be upset but don't be stupid. Hell give me the tickets and I will go. Although he owns the team, the name of the team is still Washington Redskins. My hometown team. The team I have loved since I was old enough to know what they were. I will take the tickets and take my wife(Skins fan) and my children(Skins fans). Forget Snyder(want to say another word). Hail to the Redskins."

---

And Snyder will continue to urinate on the proud tradition that you grew up rooting for as long as you continue to line his pockets.

That's the point your missing, as long as you continue to go, continue to buy stuff, you are continuing to fund his misadventures in team ownership, and encouraging him to continue destroying the team you love.

You're an enabler, and if you truly loved the team as you claim, you would do the one thing that can affect change - don't go and don't buy anything.

Posted by: VTDuffman | September 29, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Viva la revoluciĆ³n BorgoƱa!

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | September 29, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Go and wear a paper bag on your head a la the old N.O. Saints.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 29, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

. . . and make a sign that says "I got these tickets for free."

Posted by: bethesdaguy | September 29, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

i'd dump her in lieu of going to the game. either that or find the smelliest most disheveled homeless person you can find give him the tickets and drive him to the game. give him $20, put a skins hat on him and let him enjoy the day. even better if they are club seats. i'm sure the club seat holders would enjoy that...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

It only took the orioles about 5 years for the stadium to empty out, and about 10 years for Angelos to hire a legitimate GM.

How long is it going to take the redskins?

Posted by: jbanks979 | September 29, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Go for the first half only and leave, take metro, and don't buy anything.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

i hope someone circulates a fire vinny cerrato petition

Posted by: ThisGuy | September 29, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I support the TEAM. I can't help who owns the team. When they went 4-12 and 3-13 in the early 90's, I still watched every game. I cursed out Norv and Casserly then. I cursed ot JKC for hiring a former Cowboy. Now I am cursing out Snyder for hiring an incompetent GM and Head Coach. But I still love this team and always will. I would rather protest in a different way like a million-fan march up to Ashburn. You keep on takling about taking money away from the team. Do you want to be Browns or the Bengals? Then, proceed with the boycott. Snyder will eventually get it. There were other owners who were just as bad when they first started. Modell, Paul Brown with the Bengals. The NFL practically made the Giants hire Geroge Young in the 70s because they were so badly run.

Posted by: justskinfan1 | September 30, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

"You keep on takling about taking money away from the team. Do you want to be Browns or the Bengals? Then, proceed with the boycott. Snyder will eventually get it."
____________________________________________

Who says we aren't already? and furthermore, what indication do you have that Snyder will eventually get it? Pretty soon he's going to hire his seventh coach to begin his fifth rebuilding plan.....and yet he still has hired ZERO legitimate general managers.

If you continue to support the team with your money at this point, you're enabling failure to continue. Save yourself the extra several hundred bucks, and enjoy the game in the comfort of your own home

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

Posted by: jbanks979 | September 30, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I support the "give ME the tickets" crowd.

If you do go to the game, please don't boo my team. Eagles fans we aint.

Posted by: nattaboy | October 1, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse