Why Mike Miller's Living in Northeast

I've written about athletes living in D.C. before, and the list has always been disappointingly short. A few D.C. United players used to live in a group house in Northeast; not sure what the status of that is. Ben Olsen owns a rowhouse in Shaw. Donald Brashear used to live in a condo near Verizon Center. So did Steve Eminger and Brian Sutherby.

I'm sure I'm missing others, but the vast majority of D.C. pro athletes have taken up residence in Virginia.

For some, this is a matter of proximity. The Nats can get to work quicker by living in
Virginia than they could in most parts of D.C. Albert Haynesworth recently talked about how he wanted to live in Old Town, before teammates told him he'd have a brutal commute to Ashburn.

"It's funny, because being drafted, there's an opportunity to go anywhere," Chris Cooley told a group of local executives on Tuesday. "And I was picked by the Washington Redskins. I feel like I'm gonna be in the city, in D.C. I'm kind of a Wyoming, Utah guy, I've never really had that experience. And I get here, and on my first trip, they take me to Ashburn. Virginia."

But the Caps and Wizards could certainly justify live in the 202, and one of the newest Wizards, South Dakota's own Mike Miller, has decided to try the District. The Northeast quadrant, even.

"It's convenient for me," Miller said this week. "I just want to be as close to the arena as possible. It makes it easy for me. My wife and kids aren't gonna be in town, so I was just looking for the convenience of getting back and forth to the arena."

He said city-dwelling fans should absolutely feel free to approach him if they see him walking around, and he said that D.C. will become by far the biggest municipality he's ever lived in.

"Not even close," he said. "It's gonna be different. I'm excited about it. Like anything else, it brings different opportunities. So we'll see. If we make the most of it and win, it'll be a lot of fun."

As someone who has still not given up his D.C. driver's license after moving to the 'burbs, I asked Miller whether he takes any pride in setting up shop right downtown; "absolutely," he said.

"I came to play for the Washington Wizards, Northeast is Washington D.C., let's do it."

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 16, 2009; 2:31 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jim Zorn Discusses His Popularity
Next: Brendan Morrison is a Survivor

Comments

DO IT .

Posted by: mopp04 | September 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that.is.awesome. Go Wiz!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Miller has always seemed like a nice, chill guy. I hope we can find some way to resign him, but I doubt it'll happen.

Posted by: Hobes | September 16, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Not really a good idea to admit to committing a crime in a public forum. Whether you live in Virginia or Maryland you need to surrender your out of state license in something like 30-60 days.

Posted by: skipper7 | September 16, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Just in case anyone missed the lengthy tale of Steinbog and his wife buying their house:

The real estate travails of strangers are not interesting.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | September 17, 2009 6:28 AM | Report abuse

Mike Miller is my favorite player now. You have to love his dedication to basketball and his committment to the 202. F orget ashburn and the little man who comes out of there.

Posted by: BlaketheMegalomaniac | September 17, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Miller should check his demographics. He played in Memphis, which certainly ranks above DC in population. And, let's face it, DC is the punk in the area. It's the 5th largest (at best) jurisdiction in the Tysons Corner Metropolitcan Area behind Fairfax County, Montgomery County, PG County, and the City of Baltmore.

Of course, as Miller mentions, he's not bringing his family. DC is notoriously anti-family friendly. And that explains why it's shrunk so much over the last several years.

Posted by: crbjornson | September 18, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

You guys.... come on. One, to skipper7, it's maybe a violation to hold onto an old license. It is not in any way, shape, or form akin to "committing a crime." Come on. (If that was a joke and I'm being dense, I apologize). But committing a crime?? That's such an irresponsible thing to say on a million levels. Second, to crbjornson, Miller obviously lived in the suburbs in Memphis (and Minneapolis and Orlando). That's why he said it was "not even close." This was the first time he was actually living in the city itself as opposed to the suburbs. It seems pretty obvious what he meant. Also, DC is small because it's always been a tiny town surrounded by rivers and states. I mean, come on. You're like a Republican just making stuff up. And DC is incredibly family friendly: tons of museums and parks and history and good private schools (and a few good public ones) and proximity to Wizards games. Also, DC has not shrunk. The city itself has always been small. The metro area is one of the top 5. I think you, not Miller, should check the facts.

Posted by: Urnesto | September 18, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

crbjornson, you should check how your demographics relate to your geographics. D.C. leads Baltimore in population density by roughly 1,500 people per square mile and leads Memphis by almost 7,000 people per square mile. Although I feel the time taken to find this out constitute hopelessly wasted moments of my life, I still feel somewhat enriched to discover how the population densities of Baltimore, DC, and Memphis relate to one another. I feel strangely content.

Posted by: dokbionic | September 18, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

DC is the 9th largest metro area in the U.S, and not far from 5th. It all depends on how you slice it. If you combine DC and Bmore then we are 4th in the country.

Posted by: jaguar2490 | September 20, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse