Banned signs in the end zone

Honestly, I've gotten way too many stories to mention here, but I wanted to give special space to this case. These signs are visible to virtually every fan in the stadium, and to tens of thousands of people watching at home. They hang in the end zone closest to the Redskins locker room; every player, and most of the media members, have to walk past these signs countless times each season. You've definitely seen them before. One of the owners, Randy Rothstein, writes with his story.

As a third generation Washingtonian and consummate Skins Fan, I was angered, disappointed and saddened by being prohibited from bringing my sign into FedEx Field. I am no fairweather fan. I and my family and friends have stuck by the Skins through thick and thin. We went to each of the last four Skins Super Bowls. We even had a group for many years that went to Dallas for our games there. My brother hosts an unbeatable tailgate before each game. I always buy my office lunch when the Skins win. What more can I say?

I have the pleasure of sitting in front-row dream seats in the Skins end zone by the tunnel. For the past nine years I have been bringing my sign to every game. We drape it over the railing in front of our seats (not in poking distance of anyone's head!!) The front of the sign says "Redskins Score Zone."

Our hope has been that we could create a Lambeau Leap tradition when touchdowns were scored in our end zone. We are still hoping. The best we get is Clinton Portis handing the ball to his Mom who faithfully sits near us. rooting on her son.

When the opponents are coming our way, we flip the sign over, and it reads, "Do Not Enter." We and our sign are regularly on the JumboTron, and are often in the news, in the Sports Section and often zoomed in on TV during the game, always rooting our team on. Our sign has become such a tradition that it is even featured on numerous video football games where the Skins and FedEx Field are included.

Needless to say, when I arrived at our normal gate to enter FedEx Field and was not allowed to bring my sign in, I was shocked. The attendant at the gate told me that Mr. Snyder had banned signs for fear that someone would bring a sign that would say something derogatory about the other team. (Imagine That!!)

I was not satisfied, so I went to the main gate and talked to another gate attendant, who said that Mr. Snyder had banned signs to avoid signs saying something derogatory about him or the team. I told and/or even showed each person what my sign said. I was told that I could not enter the stadium with it no matter what it said, and that I should take it back to my car. I did ultimately do that.

We are fighting hard to keep up our spirit. The fans see what is going on on the field with or without signs. The signs are just part of the experience. Is cheering and booing next>

I think, as an organization, Mr. Snyder has bigger fish to fry. He needs to hold onto the 12th man.

Disappointed: Randy Rothstein

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 29, 2009; 3:17 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Banned Signs included a Sean Taylor tribute
Next: Snyder gets tarred and feathered

Comments

I always thought that was a sign the team put up.

Posted by: yatesc1 | October 29, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder is a paranoid idiot! Oops, was that derogatory?

Posted by: whirlwind81 | October 29, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

>>>Needless to say, when I arrived at our normal gate to enter FedEx Field and was not allowed to bring my sign in, I was shocked. The attendant at the gate told me that Mr. Snyder had banned signs for fear that someone would bring a sign that would say something derogatory about the other team.<<<

"Whooops!! Heh heh heh, must be another one of those rogue security guards!" - David Donovan

Posted by: theamazingmouse | October 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I love this bog -- keep 'em coming! The more negative attention this story and other examples of gross mismanagement by Snyder, Cerrato, Donovan, Swanson and whatever 2-faced buffon the Redskins throw at us, the better!

JKC is rolling in his grave!

Posted by: Irishred1998 | October 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The best way for Redskins fans to protest what management has done to a storied franchise is to stop going to games, period. Mail your tickets back to the Redkins with a letter saying that until ownership stops acting like a petulant child, the fans will not be coming. Can you imagine the embarrasment of an empty stadium on network television? It would be the ultimate "in your face" to Snyder and Cerrato. The players would get over it -- they get paid either way and frankly, the way they've played maybe an empty stadium would let them know they got no game. The best way to hurt Danny Boy is to stop filling his wallet with $$$$.

Posted by: lance_dc7777 | October 29, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

wow, yet another reason to ban signs. i think we have dan all wrong. he just doesnt want to offend the other team. i suppose that woman's sign bidding hello to her husband in afghanistan was banned so as not to offend the taliban. what a joke. even the security staff can't keep their stories straight.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 29, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Jumped the shark, written poorly by why used to be a good and funny writer.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

At what point will people just stop showing up?

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | October 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

People have been bringing signs, banners, and pennants (originally on sticks) to Redskin games for 72 years (yes I have the home movies of the games from the 30s and the 40s to prove it) and NOW you're worried about someone getting hit in the head????!!!! PULEEEEEZZZEEE!!!!!!!

Posted by: drmammal | October 29, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Danny, I bet Lenin, Marx and Hitler are looking up smiling at you. Change your ways or sell the team.

Posted by: Davo61 | October 29, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Again and again, Snyder is a despicable scum, a laughing stock but too dumb to know it or accept it. His hubris will never allow him to do the right thing. Since no one is allowed to speak to him first he will never find out how dumb he is.
The only reason he had success in business is that he was handed things as a privileged little boy.

Posted by: redskinfan4life1 | October 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Section 117 makes me miss Barno. Unless...maybe, just maybe, 117 actually IS Barno?!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Jumped the shark, written poorly by why used to be a good and funny writer.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 3:34 PM |

Judging from the headline of this post, "Banned signs in the end zone", I too thought this was about the Capitals, Wiz or United. It must be tough not having a job and having to spend your precious time writing the same tired comments.

Posted by: Andymr | October 29, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Section 117 is a Redskin employee or intern assigned to monitor the bog and pretend people are sick of the issue. I think even Barno would admit that this sign policy is a major botch by the Skins and one they should reverse.

Regarding this sign, nice reporting again Dan. I actually thought the team put that sign there, so its surprising to find out they didn't and now they are banning it. The Redskins really need to get a clue. For a guy who made his money in communications Dan Snyder doesn't seem to know the first thing about PR.

Posted by: rawk | October 29, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder is a paranoid idiot! Oops, was that derogatory?

Posted by: whirlwind81 | October 29, 2009 3:27 PM

---------------------

Not derogatory but, perhaps, redundant.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 29, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

no offense to the guy who brings those signs, but i too thought those were put up by the skins cause they are pretty lame. kind of like some of the banners the caps fan club puts up at verizon center.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 29, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Are we allowed to hang and burn Dan Snyder in effigy on FedEx Field property...or do we have to do that on the sidewalk?

Posted by: stewartd11 | October 29, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Just as Dan Stein continues to write this story up, so must the fans continue to bring their signs.

Continue to force them to turn you away! Don't just go without a sign knowing they will, actually make them do it. Do it until the security detail is sick of doing it, do it until Snyder is sick of hearing the bad press about it.

Now is not the time to concede your efforts, viva la revolution!

Posted by: REXskins | October 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE STOP GOING TO THE GAMES! If you're like me and want to see a change at the top, then stop feeding the pig! Literally! Until people stop showing up, nothing will change. I don't care if you're already locked in to the tickets. If you hate what you're seeing on the field, and you go to the games anyway, you my friend are a hypocrite, and no better than the pig.

Posted by: ralston21 | October 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

To add to that - keep bringing your signs - bit. You know the security people are just doing their jobs trying to make their paycheck. I bet 99.9% of them feel the same way we do. It's only a matter of time until they let signs and shirts go by, displaying their own passive resistance to the stupid policy and claiming ignorance to their superiors. Keep pressing it.

Posted by: REXskins | October 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Is this all we're going to read about here for the next two weeks?

All this is doing is picking at low-hanging fruit in a cheap attempt to get more blog traffic. The D.C. Sports Bog isn't special any more -- it's just writing about the same things everyone else in print and on the airwaves are discussing.

Posted by: bermanator34 | October 29, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

is there some sort of poster board paper or type of marker that beings to decompose and smell after some short period of time? i'm thinking it would be funny if everyone brought such signs hoping that they get tossed into the garbage at feded. after an hour or so they would start to emit a fish like smell which would permiate the entire stadium...not the the stench of death hasnt been all over that place this year.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 29, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's something I sent to FedEx this morning. Maybe it's a drop in the bucket to them, but they need to know that their affiliation with Snyder and this version of the Skins will cost them money. I would encourage not only a FedEx boycott, but letting FedEx know each and every time you *could* send something with them but choose to send with some other carrier...

On a related note Steinz -- has there been any comment from FedEx on this controversy? Their name is clearly stained by all of this.

----------------------------

Hi -- I just wanted you to know I had three packages I needed to send out this morning. I would have used FedEx, but as a Redskins fan, I refuse to do any more business with a company that aligns itself with the censorship and fascism going on at FedEx Field in Washington. I'll be using UPS or the postal service or one of your other competitors from here on out, and so long as FedEx is aligned with the Redskins ownership, Fed Ex won't be getting another dime from me.
--------------------------------------

Posted by: BSM1202 | October 29, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"PLEASE STOP GOING TO THE GAMES!"

Not so easy for people who already paid out the wazoo for season tickets. I sympathize. So, for ticket-holders, smuggle in signs, please, and have a picture taken of yourself holding it, then share here if they come to take it from you.

Also, avoid drinks and food.

For non-season ticket holders, STOP GOING!

Posted by: Section506 | October 29, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

This is for all fans that are disgusted with snyder. I have the email of the person at fedex. she will forward them to the right person and they will respond. Here you go flood FEDEX WITH YOUR THOUGHTS. tasha.spight@fedex.com you have to start hitting the little twirp where it hurts!! REVOLT REVOLT.

Posted by: caps67 | October 29, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Jumped the shark, written poorly by why used to be a good and funny writer.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 3:34 PM

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself Section117! I don't think you have jumped the shark. Well, maybe. And you are a poor writer. But don't let that get you down!

Don't worry, by January this will all be over. Mostly.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 29, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I love these bogs, please keep them coming!

Posted by: JohnnyIdaho1978 | October 29, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Jumped the shark, written poorly by why used to be a good and funny writer.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 3:34 PM

I'm amused by the use of "why" instead of "what" (which is incorrect anyway) in a sentence criticizing Steinberg for no longer being a good writer.

Says your King James bible: Pride goeth before a fall!

Posted by: Section506 | October 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"then stop feeding the pig! Literally!"

Call me contrarian, but I don't think you'd be sending the right message if you literally stopped feeding a pig.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Jumped the shark, written poorly by why used to be a good and funny writer.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 3:34 PM |

Too bad the shark doesn't pull a Jaws and just chomp you in half ala Quint.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 29, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I feel soo disenfranchised, now I know how the Palestinians feel.

Posted by: massiveBrains | October 29, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

So what? You self aggrandize by showing that sign. You don't have any right. No doubt you are more disappointed by not getting on TV then anything else!

As for what the security guards said: Ri-ight. Obviously low level security guards employed by outside contractors know exactly what goes on with the team owner.

Posted by: ggreenbaum | October 29, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Browns fans are planning a protest:

Two prime-time games remain at FedEx:
Mon. Dec 21 vs. NY Giants (ESPN)
Sun. Dec 27 vs. Dallas (NBC)

...just sayin'

Posted by: JBuss | October 29, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

KEEP THESE COMING!!!!! It's going to take nothing but complete and total non-stop ridicule to end Snyder's tactics.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 29, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Keep it coming Steinz, you are the voice of the revolution.

I would like to hear from ol' Barno though

The people complaining about the constant Skins bashing on the blog would be complaining about all the Skins coverage if they were winning too. Cant win 'em all

The demise of the Skins IS the story in DC. Skins are always first in this town, even when they are the worst sports franchise on the east coast. Who would have thought that they could out-suck the Nationals?

Posted by: jpfterps | October 29, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | October 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

A) I'm here and have been reading, just not commenting

B) I don't criticize blog writers over their grammar

C) I'm a Steinberg fan, and have no issues with anything he's written

D) Needless to say, I'm not 117

Posted by: Barno1 | October 29, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lance_dc7777 | October 29, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, most of the tickets are already paid for so there is minimal financial repercussion if a few thousand fans don't show up. A boycott, as it where, doesn't hit him or the organization in the wallet. At this point, it is pretty obvious that the front office is ignoring the "fringe faction" of irate fans (as they see it). He is blind to embarrassment. To really get Snyder's attention there needs to be a strategic plan to effect change amongst the Redskins corporate sponsors and advertisers.

Posted by: BlueberryRuffin | October 29, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Keep it coming Steinz, you are the voice of the revolution.

I would like to hear from ol' Barno though

Posted by: jpfterps | October 29, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Jpfterps, I don't really have much to add. I think they should allow signs but also think it's their right not to. I think it'll blow over and they'll allow them again either by the end of the year or next year.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

A boycott won't work, people are locked into contracts, and foresaking hundreds of dollars a week on a principle is irrational. So, skins fans, don't buy tickets on stubhub. Contract holders, sell your tickets to visiting team fans, and don't renew your tickets after the season. How many skins fans who do attend will continue if they're surrounded by boorish visitors, like the sea of Filthedelphians we were surrounded by on Monday? Imagine the spin Danny et al will have to put out if Fedex is filled with Romo and Eli jerseys?

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | October 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | October 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Were you there? I don't know what sea you're talking about. In fact, it was pretty standard as far as Philly games go. Was very impressed with Skins fans, who represented about or close to 90% of the stadium.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 29, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Put your head in the sand, Danny Boy, everything is fine here, your team is 7-0 and every thing is fine in Paradise.

Posted by: wlawson64 | October 29, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Section 217, view obstructed by a concrete pillar and a wall of Pontiac drivers covered in McNabb jerseys.

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | October 29, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I SAY ITS TIME TO MAKE A STATEMENT! AS A RABID REDSKINS FAN AS MOST OF YOU ARE I AM FRUSTRATED AT THE WAY SNYDERATTO ARE TARNISHING THE NAME OF THIS GLORIOUS FRANCHISE. WE, FANS, NEED TO GET A MOVEMENT GOING WHERE NONE OF US SHOW UP FOR A GAME - WE DO NOT SELL THE TICKETS; WE DO NOT GIVE THEM AWAY. THE IDEA IS TO HAVE AN EMPTY STADIUM SO SNYDER REALIZES THAT THE FAN COMMUNITY NEEDS SOME REAL CHANGE!

LETS DO ALL WE CAN TO MAKE THIS A REALITY - WE CAN LOOK AT THE SAINTS GAME ON 12/6 A "NO SHOW DATE WITH SNYDER"!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Posted by: ajnarula | October 29, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I type on a mobile phone at a bar, what's your excuse, other than bad genes?

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Why is Snyder such a non-starter as a football man? The first and obvious answer to that question is that he has no previous life experience in football except as a fan. This begs the question of whether ten years' on-the-job training has provided Snyder valuable tools; can't he learn? The answer is of course, no.

Countless examples show that building a winning NFL organization is a slow, even boring process, involving unglamorous trade-offs and painful sacrifices for the possibility of future long-term success. It's about getting hard-won details right and delaying gratification.

Yet looking at the last two years (and further back) it's difficult to come up with an example where such principles were behind a single decision in Ashburn. Trading down in 2008? Yes, but then the picks got wasted on flash in the pan.

Consider what Jeff George, Steve Spurrier, and even Jim Zorn represent in the NFL. Lot's of razzle/dazzle, passing, "greatest show on turf" type stuff. In most cases, it's s pretty hard to win with that notion lodged deep in your appreciation of professional football.

The other critical part of this is simply Dan Snyder's leadership style. You don't fly players around in private jets for dinner or pal around with them or the head coach. What Vinny said last week on the radio about Zorn and Jarmon hanging out at Snyder's luxurious home in Aspen, having gourmet meals, etc., it all demonstrates ultra poor judgment.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 29, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

My jeans are awesome.

Posted by: Section506 | October 29, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Funny story, I remember going to a skins game at RFK with a couple of guys that went to college with a buddy of mine. One was from Cleveland and was a browns fan. So he was saying derogatory things about the skins, pissing off the fans around him. Well anyway, when the skins were leaving the field at half time he took a dog bone out of his pocket and hurled it at the players hitting Mark Rypien. Security came up to our area looking for the person who did it and of course the fans pointed him out. He and and my other buddy were approched by security and ask to leave. When security touched one of my buddies arm to escort him who is white he yelled "get your black hands off of me" which did not make since seing that two of the guys who came with him to the game were black and he considered us some of his best buds, but he was drunk and I guess the old NJ German came out of him. Needless to say they were both removed with the NJ friend taking the long way to the exit if you know what I mean. Me and my other friend who is black played if off as if we were not with them. Good thing we have come a long way regarding security at the games. We have so much more freedom at the games than we did back in those days huh?

Posted by: ged0386 | October 29, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

LET MY PEOPLE GO!!!!

Posted by: themantoyou | October 29, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

You have to keep posting about this, and we have to keep the pressure on. The national media outlets are now picking up on the story. This is a good thing. We need to continue to let Snyder embarrass himself, and as fans, we cannot continue to be taken advantage of by this big joke of a little man.

Dan Snyder really is an awful person. He has ruined my affinity for all things Redskins - which if you ask anyone I know, they would've told you this is impossible. And very little of it has to do with the product on the field. I don't know what else to say.

JB

Posted by: jonbrownvt | October 29, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is trying to control things he should not try to control. He thinks because he runs the skins organization that he should have say so in what the fans think too. I guess he will put out anyone booing next. Or maybe he should be a man about it and do a Ted Leonis and punch the next fan carrying a sign that is derogatory to the team. But then again she would probably kick his butt.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 29, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I told ya'll. sell your tickets to opposing fans for NFC East games. especially the Dallas one.

that will get the point across as clearly as anything you could possibly do.

Posted by: MrMadison | October 29, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Would Jerry Jones do this? I ask this question and I am NOT a cowbows fan but I dont think even Jerry would do this. Imagine if saints fans were banned from wearing their bags during the bad times. Snyder is trying to corporate bully the people who put money in his pockets. He is making the skins a running joke. I tried to reframe from bashing him all these years but when I start bashing the skins you know its bad. You cant fire us Snyder. Its the other way around. We can stop supporting you.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 29, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Redskin fans with season tickets unfortunately your tickets are worthless now. I stop going last year and did not renew my tickets this year. I cut my losses last year. If you are smart you will cut your losses this year. When is the last time you had fun at a Redskin game. Dan Snyder has ruined the game day experience. He already has your money, but he doesn’t have to steal anymore of your time. BOYCOTT THE SKINS!!

Posted by: mattphillips | October 29, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Washington Thinskins, it's SNYDERGATE!

Posted by: atidwell | October 29, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Synder is a communist!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | October 29, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is not a communist or a fascist. He is just a poor businessman.

Posted by: Section506 | October 29, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Snyder can't ban this sign:

Posted by: A1232 | October 29, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andymr | October 29, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

And yet YOU and others are posting at 3:44 in the afternoon? How much is the mortgage on your glass house?

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, by January this will all be over. Mostly.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 29, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, you'll still be buying tickets to go to games that are losers, and I'm the one with the problem? Hilarious.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Snyder will keep this up until he stops making money. Talk with your wallets and stop buying tickets.

Posted by: reiflame1 | October 29, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Lenin, Marx, and Hitler? Which one of these things is not like the other?

Next time, try Stalin or Mussolini, k?

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 29, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

DEAR REDSKINS FANS:

STAY HOME.

Posted by: ncromcr | October 30, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Seems like people are responding:

Posted by: nick87 | October 30, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Listen, I know Snyder is filthy rich, but why doesn't anybody find a lawyer to sue that schmuck? A lot of people with just one ball, not two. The stadium was built with public funds, he can't restrict free speech in a facility paid for by the very same people making the speech.

Posted by: davidhemsath | October 30, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Not even Snyder would be able to stop this sign:
The Burgundy Revolution, baby.

Posted by: febc8 | November 1, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse