Banned Signs included a Sean Taylor tribute

I know, I know, you're sick of this story. I've read your comments. I've seen your e-mails. You want me to write about something else.

But I think it's important, and it still makes me angry. Read this item in USA Today's The Huddle blog, about how other NFL franchises handle signs. Inappropriate and vulgar stuff, and signs that block people's view, seem to be against the rules everywhere. The rest of it seems to be ok, at least with the teams that USA Today surveyed. CBS Sports' lead NFL producer told the paper that no team has ever told him signs wouldn't be available in the crowd, and that he considers them "part of the game, just like a marching band at halftime."

Well, not in D.C., dude.

Sean Taylor Tribute

So, the guy above is named Alexis Ohanian. He grew up in Columbia, moved to San Francisco, co-founded a successful Internet company, and never stopped loving the Redskins. When the money got good, the first thing he did was upgrade his father to dream seats in the front of FedEx Field, and he still flies home, across the country, for every home game.

He was born in the same year as Sean Taylor, and like so many people of our approximate age, he was really shaken by Taylor's death. He and his dad used to hang a banner about the Redskins in front of their seats, but after Taylor died, they immediately bought a Sean Taylor banner and have since brought it to nearly every game.

All was fine, until the Buccaneers game earlier this season. As he was entering the stadium, the sign was rolled up and on his shoulder as usual, but he was stopped by security and told signs weren't allowed.

"What are you talking about, it's a Sean Taylor banner," Alexis said. But they showed him the new policy banning all banners. So Alexis and his dad headed to a club seat entrance, and got their banner through.

Things got even trickier the next home game against the Chiefs. They had to try three or four entrances before they could get their banner through, and Alexis made a scene, opening up the banner and loudly protesting the policy.

So for the Eagles game, he came up with a plan to hide the banner as they entered the stadium. He also hid the above sign in his pocket, the one asking why he had to sneak the sign in. Security quickly confiscated that sign when he displayed it for cameras, telling him "you can either give me the sign, or leave." Thankfully, they left the Taylor banner alone, although like I mentioned, they tried to block its entrance at several gates.

Alexis isn't one of the fans who's threatening to leave or to boycott or to stop coming, and he's not arguing for free speech or any of that.

"I understand it's one thing to do it on public space and another to do it on private property, and I understand he's perfectly within his rights to do so, but I know it's within our best interests as business owners to let criticism bubble up," he told me. "The last thing you want to do is alienate these people who are willing to spend so much money to come to these games and cheer for this team. I'm flying out from San Francisco; it seems only reasonable that I could bring a sign in, especially a sign paying tribute to Sean Taylor."

Greetings to Afghanistan

I've mentioned her case before, but I finally talked to Jada Bello, the 20-year old lifelong Redskins fan from Harford County whose husband Travis--a Philly fan and Army medic--can only watch the Eagles when they're on national TV.

So when Jada decided to go to this particular Monday Night game, she told Travis, who's been overseas since January and who missed the birth of his child. He expressed jealousy.

"I told him I'd bring him a sign to kind of represent for him, to tell him that I love him and that I'm proud of him," she told me.

She hadn't heard about the new policy, so she brought her sign, and she got through the first line of security, but then was called back and told that her sign broke the rules.

"I just think it's ridiculous," she said. "Now, I could understand if my sign would have offended anybody, but there's NO WAY my sign could have attended anybody. It was a personal sign between me and my husband."

And the safety and obstruction concerns?

"I wasn't intending on holding it up the whole time," Jada told me. "If somebody would have told me it was blocking their view, I would have had no trouble putting it down. I poked myself in the eye twirling my towel. The poking in the head [argument] is ridiculous."

Travis's mother, Deborah Snyder, also e-mailed me, unprompted.

"My son and all the other military personnel...deserve to be said hello to whatever way possible," she wrote. "A simple sign from a loved one, what better way, I ask you?"

Jada's whole family (aside from her husband) roots for the Redskins, but she's not sure about going to future games.

"it feels like you can't go to a game any more and have fun, because there's so many restrictions on what you can and cannot do," she told me.

An Eagles Fan

Even Eagles fans were protesting the ownership of the Redskins. Andy Detweiler brought the above sign to FedEx Field on Monday.

"And yes, they took it," he wrote to me.

He still said he had a great time hanging out with a bunch of Redskins fans at the game, including his wife. Ownership of the team is doing something I never thought possible: helping bring Philly and Washington fans together.

The Pillowcase Protest

This is a Washington Times photo that I probably shouldn't be using, but in these days of solidarity....To make it up to them, please go read Dan Daly's brutal takedown of the Regime's repeated ham-fisted attempts to control the message, which once included stripping The Times of credentials.

Anyhow, "My sign was made with a pillowcase and magic marker and wouldn't hurt a fly," Wanda Hobbs wrote me. "The guy in the front row had the Geico Redskins pullout sign and kept elbowing the people next to him. Same with the towels flinging around hitting people. Last game I almost had to take it from the girl in front of me because it was about to take my eye out. Of course they would allow the Geico signs because they make $$$$ from advertising."

Well, that seems awfully cynical, doesn't it? Wanda also told me that security repeatedly told her to put her sign away or leave throughout the game. Finally "we told him we were leaving anyway 'cause our team is run by losers," she wrote to me.

As for how she got it in, it was rolled up inside her Redskins flannel blanket.

The Blanket Protest

Which brings me to this. I've mentioned several times the couple sitting in the 100 section who, late in the game, unfolded a blanket with a hidden message about the Redskins, then folded back the blanket into a simple device of warmth. Well, they got in touch with me. Let's call them Jim and Deb of Derwood, and yes, that was an intentional move. Wrote Jim:

"Was stopped at the gate at FedEx Field with a sign that said:

E nough of
S nyder
P lease
No more Vinny"

That sign was taken. But "guards didn't think to look at the inside of my stadium blanket," he explained. "Waited until 4 minutes left in game to unveil - wife didn't want to get kicked out....Sad statement on free speech in the Capital of the free world. "

They've been fans for 31 years. Now, they tell me, they've had enough. Here's Jim, with a guy dressed as Bingo the Clown on Monday Night. They were allowed to keep their outfits.

This is a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of the people who have contacted me in recent days. I mean, I'm lucky to even read them all, much less respond.

Oh, right, I forgot something.

"I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years," Redskins COO and general counsel David Donovan said, in a quote I'm likely to recycle 7,000 times in the next week or so. "But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 29, 2009; 1:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Flawed execution: The video
Next: Banned signs in the end zone

Comments

Still boring, though at least you actually worked on this one.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm in favor of these posts. Expose the shameful practices of Daniel Snyder! He's taken a public trust and turned it into his own private fantasy football team.

Anyone who posts an objection is probably just Vinny Cerrato under a litany of screen names.

Posted by: drischord | October 29, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff. Keep it coming. Don't listen to the people complaining about it being too much. I've complained in the past about not enough coverage of other local teams, but that doesn't apply in this case. This is one of the most compelling stories not just in D.C. sports but in D.C. in general--the decline and fall of a huge, important Washington-area institution, mostly because of arrogance and greed.

Posted by: TheFingerman | October 29, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Bog bless you, Steinz.

Posted by: norton1102 | October 29, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you know I have been all over you and the Post about coverage choices, but this is an ongoing story and deserves coverage. I objected to five articles and three columns about the same mediocre game PRINTED in last year's post every week.

As to blog content and an ongoing story of truly exceptional behavior by the team owner... that's news!

Posted by: Section506 | October 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Keep this stuff coming, Dan. It's important to the fans of the Skins.

Posted by: kolbkl | October 29, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

So when are you going to get to the meat of this whole, "Fan Censorship" thing I've been hearing about with the Redskins?

/Pulitzer on deck.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | October 29, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

You know, 117, there is a nice island off the coast that you and Snyder could build a stadium together. You and people that support the Generalissimo can go there and set up your Snyderist form of government, just like Chiang Kai-Shek did when he was forced to flee the mainland.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Washington with 27 points? (Sean Taylor pic)
Obviously Photoshopped

Posted by: RichinVA | October 29, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I've said this before in another post. When Snyder and his henchmen start attacking the fans, it's over. (And I think he's so arrogant that he doesn't and WON'T ever get it!)

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 29, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Keep it coming, Dan - I think this is making the management pay attention for once.

"Never give up, never surrender!"

Posted by: Hemisphire | October 29, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Pssst, Rich: "He and his dad used to hang a banner about the Redskins in front of their seats, but after Taylor died, they immediately bought a Sean Taylor banner and have since brought it to nearly every game."

One of those games could be the 27-6 win against Dallas on Dec 30, 2007.

Posted by: Section506 | October 29, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Still boring, though at least you actually worked on this one.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

and yet you continue to read and comment on the posts despite knowing full well what the content of this posting was going to be based upon the headline.

i have no problem with your opinion of the skins organization or your criticism of bog boy, i just wonder why you would read something you are already bored with?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 29, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Keep it up, I'm not sick of this story. I'd like to keep hearing about it as long as it keeps happening. With no legal or financial options available to us fans, passive resistance via signs and shirts is our only real option. I'm really glad that someone with a stage on which to be heard is trying to put a stop to this 1984 mentality.

Posted by: REXskins | October 29, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Great work, please keep it coming. Knowing that other people are as outraged as I am is the only solace I have.

Posted by: tcerand | October 29, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Keep posting examples of this. This organization is an embarrassment.

Posted by: joep6 | October 29, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

To anyone who doesn't like these posts: eventually, the furor will die down (or the season will end, which is more likely).

To me and others, though, these are capital-i Important.

Please don't stop writing these posts, Dan. Keep it up.

Posted by: yatesc1 | October 29, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Dan, please keep doing these stories.

Posted by: amiller216 | October 29, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Mee too Bog Master! Please keep up the effort! The pen is mightier than the sword!!! Please help us push back on Hitler.

Thanks again

Posted by: ocskins | October 29, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

This issue is genuinely important, Dan, and you are doing great work. Seriously, keep it up. Don't listen to the naysayers. Gilbert, Ovie and Strasburg aren't going anywhere.

Posted by: simpleton1 | October 29, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Re Daly's Wash Times piece:

Snyder's policy is stupid and offensive but no one has a First Amendment right to bring signs into FedEx Field. Nor, as he seems to think, do newspapers have a First Amendment right to Redskins press credentials.

The First Amendment is not a synonym for the broader concept of freedom of expression. The latter is a societal value that most of us share, and it is offended by Snyder's behavior.

The latter is a legally enforceable provision of the U.S. Constitution, which applies only to governmental action and, with the possible exception of the involvement of P.G. Police, has no application to the Redskins at all.

Many other countries, especially the United Kingdom, enjoy freedom of speech with no equivalent to the First Amendment. Every time a reporter or other writer mindlessly spouts off about First Amendment rights in contexts where they clearly have no application, they confuse the public about the Constitution and betray their own lack of sophistication.

We should expect a little better, especially from newspapers here in the Nation's Capital.

Posted by: Meridian1 | October 29, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Please keep it coming Dan. I'm now checking wpost for a new blog entry from you on an hourly basis. I know you'll give us good caps and wizards stuff later, but this stuff is pure gold.

Posted by: lord_rockumus | October 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I mis-typed a line in my post above. The third paragraph should begin, "The former is a legally enforceable provision..."

Sorry for the error.

Posted by: Meridian1 | October 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

What amiller216 said, Dan.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Someone please bring a "Sell the Skins to Ted" sign to the Caps game tomorrow.

Posted by: cjzimm | October 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

By the way, the story seems to be that Redskins management made the bad decision to ban signs and t-shirts, and then when the public was unhappy, management blamed "over-zealous" security (i.e., their employees). Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Make bad management decisions, then blame the coach and players.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 29, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
Why are you even giving the Redskins management any lipservice on this one? We all know the real reason for the ban was so a national audience wouldn't see all those negative signs about Redskin management. Snyder is one of the worst owners in North American sports. He just doesn't want to be known throughout North America as such.

Posted by: lacannon | October 29, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Section117 has to be Vinny, Danny, or someother brownnoser out at Asburn.

As for the signs, people should start making red/white/blue, USA, American Flag signs so when Danny and his goon-squad confiscate those and throw 'em in the trash than Danny and Co. can be labeled anti-American and unpatriotic.

hahahhahahahaha. That'd be a treat.

This reminds me of a South Park episode when the kids couldn't decide which was worse, a giant d0uche or a turd sandwich. I'd say Danny, Vinny, and Co. are both giant d0uches and turd sandwiches.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 29, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

This is an important story that both the Post and Times should hammer for the rest of the season. As a fan, I'm sick of Danny & his henchmen ruining a once great franchise. Snyder continues to treat us like dirt and this will backfire on him.
If he doesn't like the criticism then he should sell the team.
What a whiny,little sissy excuse for a man!

Posted by: MississippiSkinsFan | October 29, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Keep reporting on this atrocity, the entire DC area and the nation need to know about this abuse of power. Dan Snyder, you are a miserable little person.

Donate to the cause: www.sellourteamdannyboy.com

Snyder=(Insert your political dictator here)

P.S. If you are a skins fan and you are going to the Atlanta game, make sure you bring a sign into their stadium to show your displeasure, I don't think that they take signs away in that stadium.

Posted by: VAtoLA | October 29, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

At this point, what are the odds that Snyder bans tailgating and then sells Johnny Rockets burgers at the stadium so he can make more money. Wait.... What??... WHAT!!! He already tried to do that!!!!!

Why didn't he just say that propane tanks violate the Homeland Security Act. Wait, don't give him any ideas.

Posted by: cjzimm | October 29, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Give it a rest Steinberg!!! You and your small group of "anything Snyder haters" may think this story has legs, but it really shows how pathetic the Posts' sports department has become in recent years!!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | October 29, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, I'm one of the people who've complained about the 'Skins monomania in the past; I do agree with you and the other posters (and the national and non-sports media that are starting to pick this up) that the sign ban is a major story; please, though, while you're covering this, remember that it's not the ONLY sports story in D.C. and that not all of your readers live, breathe, or even care about, football.

At least I've never bugged you for not covering dogs herding sheep. (However, if you want to do something on the Frostbite Fleet of winter sailboat racers out on the Potomac....)

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I was able to successfully wear my Snyder sucks t-shirt around the stadium without any trouble, I did however sneak the shirt in, I wore my Sean Taylor jersey over my shirt then flipped it around once I got in the stadium.

When I exited the stadium I went up to a cop and said "Can you please arrest Daniel Snyder for the being the worst in the league?" I didn't even wait for the cops response, I just kept walking.

Then I proceeded to yell F YOU Daniel Snyder at the top of lungs a few times once I got outside, I must say that felt great, I highly reccommend it!

Snyder= Communist, Nazi

Posted by: Skins28 | October 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Dan, we aren't bored of this story. Keep on it, fantastic stuff.

Posted by: hackeynut | October 29, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Posted by: lacannon | October 29, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse
___________________

Too late.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 29, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Snyder= Communist, Nazi

Posted by: Skins28 | October 29, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

===============================
So you wear a "statement" shirt, but under your Taylor jersey, make a "statement" to a police officer but run off before even getting a response and then shout out an offensive "statement" for ALL to hear except for the person who you meant it for!!!
Sorry buddy, but you sound like a coward!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | October 29, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

oops...

Kevin Blackistone already called Dan Snyder the worst owner ON THE PLANET. and that was BEFORE the Monday Night game.

That sneaky fan base, I tell ya...so clever. Make sure you wear clean draws to the next home game, cuz security will definitely be performing "random" strip searches to ferret out this seditious signage that's been making it's way into Banana Republic Field (prediction: the new stadium sponsor, you heard it here first).

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 29, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

As long as there is more to write (and unfortunately, Redskins management will probably continue to give you stuff to write about), please continue. I am appalled at what is happening just a few miles away from our nation's seat of government! Please keep investigating!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | October 29, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Keep up the good work. I guess that Dan Snyder will next ban brown paperbags (if you put that paperbag over your head with some writing on it you will be tossed from the game). As bad as the Skins are I guess that it is time for the brown bags that everyone use to see at the New Orleans Saints games.

Posted by: michael1963 | October 29, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I can see how you don't have time to think about those cool, quirky features that really made the Sports Bog great, like the "Atlantic 11." Must...add...three...more...sign...pics...

Seriously, we get it. The national media gets it. More importantly, the Redskins Insider gets it, the sports columnists get it, and every page of the sports section gets it. Seventeen more posts like this one aren't going to change that, especially since they're all talking about the last game. If Dan Snyder doesn't get it by now, he never will.

You're in danger of alienating your core fanbase chasing more Redskins eyeballs. What happens when the season ends, they turn away, and the old crew isn't around any more?

This is a big story. But write about something else every once in awhile. You're starting to sound like the crazy street preachers at the University of Maryland student union.

Posted by: bermanator34 | October 29, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dkidwell61 | October 29, 2009 2:41 PM

The funniest thing about these people, is that they complain that the Post should cover something else, then they click through and comment on the story - increasing the popularity of the item. And that's why Dan posts so much on the Skins woes, because the stories are 10x more popular than his normal mirth.

I say keep em coming - the revolution must be fomented!

Posted by: Kev29 | October 29, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Danny Snyder,
Is he Caligula, Commodus or Jerry Lundegaard?

Posted by: dboz1970 | October 29, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Even if some Redskins fans don't want to hear it, Dan Snyder is a known head case around the NFL. And Redskins fans are going to be stuck with him for years.

Posted by: johnc_80 | October 29, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael1963 | October 29, 2009 2:57 PM

Done and done - already banned

Posted by: Kev29 | October 29, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

keep it up steinz. you are the leaflet-tier of our revolution

Posted by: jpfterps | October 29, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the great work, Dan. I can't believe people are sick of this story. I'm not. We need to keep the pressure on Little Napolean and his henchman.

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | October 29, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Dan, keep up the great work. I love your "regular" Bog, and I love what you're doing now. There are plenty of people who love both. That said, get your webmaster to trace the IP addresses or whatever to show that these trolls are indeed posting from within Redskins headquarters. You think it's above Cerrato, Danny, and all to post comments on a blog trashing your work? It's not. Do it.

Posted by: wbbradb | October 29, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Extremely important to keep giving examples - please continue1!!

Posted by: gumball83 | October 29, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I've never posted in this forum before but just wanted to say that as an old-time and long-time Redskins fan, I am about to give up on this franchise. They are not even competitive on the field and the off-field behavior is infantile. The Post needs to keep pounding this fact in the form of hard copy and internet stories not only to keep the fans informed, but to keep the pressure on the non-management the Redskins currently have in place!

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | October 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

NEW Danny Rule:

ALL fans at Fed Ex must wait for Danny's permission to cheer before doing so. All whom cheer without permission will be removed from the stadium!!

Posted by: Monkman63 | October 29, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Great work Dan. Keep these coming and as I've said before I think you are doing a great service by keeping on this story. There's plenty of time later for stories about folks' shoes, hair, and the quirky things they like to chew. This is a real story and a real issue and major kudos for some seriously well done journalism. Keep it up.

Posted by: rawk | October 29, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: atrain1 | October 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Please keep reporting on this Dan.

Thanks.

Posted by: Colonial717 | October 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Great work Dan, keep it up. The Skins have no doubt surpassed the Pittsburgh Pirates as the most dysfunctional sports franchise in North America."

Hooray! [throws his Washington Nationals hat in the air]

Posted by: Section506 | October 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I do like the individual stories with pictures of what they had brought. I can understand Snyder wanted signs being banned that were negative about him, but banning the message to Jada Bello's husband in Afganistan? That's ugly. It would have been nice for all the troops to see that on the tele because it reminds them of their own family who love them. And it's a sign that probably ESPN would have loved to show, because besides making the shows available to our service men overseas it is a way that ESPN can show and mention its support.

Dan, have you considered asking anyone at the Pentagon or Army Public Affairs to see if they have any comments or opinions on this? (Not the general signs, but banning signs to the troops overseas.) I think NBC will drop the Dec 27 game (flex schedule) anyway, but I wonder if there is any way that ESPN can change the Dec 21 game this year? (How a nonplayoff team last year got 3 primetime games all at home is beyond me!)

My secret hope... Fox news (Bill O'Reilly) gets news of the Jada Bello part in this storyline and airs Vinny trying to get out of that one. I think Virginian republicans should demand that McDonnell return Snyder's money too.

Posted by: prokaryote | October 29, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Dan don't stop. Pound away! Fans; STOP GOING TO THE GAMES!!!!!

Posted by: williewil4u | October 29, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Love it, Steinberg! Keep it up.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 29, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

who the hell has a problem with these posts. WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO REPORT ON????

This is the ONLY story that is remotely relevant or important this season. Maybe to appease those who are bored, there should be one post a day that says, briefly, "They suck. For many reasons." That will say it all.

Those who are bored can do something else, like read a book or go back to playing Madden.

Posted by: whughes1 | October 29, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Snyder can't ban this sign:

Posted by: A1232 | October 29, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Section117 has to be Vinny, Danny, or someother brownnoser out at Asburn.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 29, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Another FAIL.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 29, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

You can also find that perspective I suggested out there earlier. It'll help you in lieu of, you know, reading comments here.

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

at least that woman gets to tell her husband hello now, since she couldn't do it at the game.

this is just ridiculous

Posted by: j762 | October 29, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan for this relentless barrage of coverage. Reading these posts makes me glad we're all coming together as fans, but sad that we have little hope of affecting true change.

Snyder's not selling the team.

As for firing Vinny, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that one, either.

With all the energy Snyderatto is putting into stopping the fans & media from expressing themselves, they could have devised a few max protect schemes to get the ball downfield.

Hey, why not move Lorenzo Alexander to the offense? Give Jon Runyan & Pete Kendall a call?

Earth to Snyderatto: Censorship doesn't win games!

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Let the people at FedEx know how we feel. The Pres. of FedEx has 10% ownership of the skins!! send emails to tasha.spight@fedex.com.

Posted by: caps67 | October 29, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

How about do some chants at the game like $nyder suck or Sell Our Team like they do in soccer matches in England. If majority of the fans in the stadium join in, it would be impossible to throw out all the fans in the same time or else the only fan left inside the stadium is Section 117.

Posted by: reddevilskins | October 29, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

This is just absurd. I mean, it's not a free speech issue, rather it's an issue of how completely clueless a franchise can be. Do they really think that no one notices? Do they really hate their fans? What, exactly, are the morons/lackies at FedEx Field thinking when they implement these policies? And what do they think their fans, not to mention the broader world, will think about them? This is stunning. Really, really stunning.

I was a Bulls fan when Reinsdorf and Jerry Krause split up the team. And I've been a longtime Cubs fan, watching years of futility in which the owners still managed to placate the teams. But this is unprecedented. You have a team - not a horrible team, but certainly not a good team - that is managing to alienate everyone around it in a way that I've never witnessed before. The Jerrys blew up the Bulls, which was, to me, the worst offense I could imagine. But Vinnie and Dan have reached a whole new level. I'm just flabbergasted...

Posted by: mannewskie | October 30, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse