Behavior Change: Another roadside Snyder banner

"I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years," Redskins general counsel David Donovan said, in a quote I'm likely to recycle 7,000 times in the next week or so. "But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference."

Again, we're in the realm of the anecdotal, which is where I've set up permanent residence. But anecdotally, I don't recall getting weekly alerts of anti-Snyder signs popping up around town. This banner was at a construction site on Wisconsin Avenue heading South into Bethesda; thanks to @dcborn61 for the shot. As always, the choices are that this doesn't count as behavior, that the perp wasn't an actual fan, or that the see-ers are looking in the wrong direction.

But I'm gonna keep rolling. People were passing out these funeral programs at Monday Night's game. Never seen that before at a D.C. sporting event.

Then there's this report from Dave McKenna at Cheap Seats Daily:

The only first-person account I got was from a friend who called me from FedExField just after being searched at the gate like he was boarding an El Al flight. He asked the frisker, "Are you looking for anti-Snyder paraphernalia?" "As a matter of fact, I am," the guard told him.

And there's this graphical explanation of Sherm Lewis's playcard, from The Sporting Blog.

And this image of Jim Zorn, from Two in the Box.

And this first-person plea from Billy King, the former President of the 76ers and a lifelong Skins fan, at National Football Post:

Snyder and I both grew up rooting for the same team. We both were little boys when the Redskins lost to the Miami Dolphins in the Super Bowl in 1973. Mr. Snyder, you've gone on to be a huge success in the business world. You now own a team that people along the Beltway love like an only child. All we ask as loyal fans is that you think back to when you were a child and do what Jack Kent Cooke did: Hire someone smart. Then you can sit back and take all the credit.

And this great wrap-up of Monday Night's winners and losers, from Mister Irrelevant.

And ESPN's Bill Simmons signing a copy of his new basketball book "Down With Snyder," via Hogs Haven.

And the Redskins same-old quotes with their hidden meanings, via NBC Washington.

And Albert Haynesworth, talking about how his team is "getting slaughtered" and how he's "feelin' lost," via the Redskins Blog.

Oh, and here's how the Redskins Web site listed the team's schedule as of Tuesday morning. Not a bad thought about Monday night, I guess.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 27, 2009; 3:35 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins ban signs at FedEx Field
Next: Redskins sign policies, old and new

Comments

I found a picture of David Donovan this morning from the 980 broadcast: http://tinyurl.com/ygayhsr

Posted by: hackeynut | October 27, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Any screen caps of Danny Smith nearly attacking the ref over that (nearly) blown punt penalty?

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hackeynut

And we all know what happened to that guy.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009 4:19 PM

Oh, man! That was the highlight of the game for me. Smith was LIVID (as he should have been). If you need an interim head coach, I'd choose him, because you know he'll light a fire under somebody's posterior.

Unlike certain other medium head coaches.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 27, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sure, people are angry, throwing signs up and wearing fire snyder shirts- but it still doesn't change the fact that Fedex Field was loud and full last night. That BEHAVIOR has not changed, in fact I think it was the loudest yet this season. Hmm, so maybe the behavior has changed?

Posted by: popopo | October 27, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Where the hell was Zorn on that play that Danny Smith was so livid about? Why did the Redskins line up at their own 10 yard line like it was no big deal?

That was a truly weird play, and I'm not sure the Redskins benefitted from the actual penalty yardage.

The Redskins must lead the league in flags called that would benefit them, but get pulled at the last second by some chump ref.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

A "Snyder S---kS" banner did get on Tv last night - when they showed Brian Mitchell's name in the Ring of Fame - guy right next to his name had it - I'm sure he was removed right before the game.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 27, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

David "Lionel Hutz" Donovan thinks that banner says "Love Snyder, Go Skins!" and blames the Washington Post for misinterpreting it in a "hostile" way.

Posted by: thediesel | October 27, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Posted by: Section117 | October 27, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

hackeynut, that's a genius post. good stuff.

"There are no American soldiers in Baghdad."

Posted by: buster17 | October 27, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Keep on Beating That Drum, Dan! The least Daniel Snyder can do is man up and hold a press conference and answer some questions about how and why the team is in the state that it is in.

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 27, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Rep to hackeynut.

I can't help but remark on what a contrast this new Redskins policy is with that of DC United. United is amongst the most permissive teams in the country in allowing their supporter's groups and fans to put on tifo displays and such. They understand the worth of their fans' passion and the value it brings. And as a result, RFK and it's bouncing stands, still rock today.

I'd also point out that United's coach Tom Soehn has been in the doghouse with a lot of folks of late but something like this would never

Posted by: KireDCU | October 27, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse