Behavior Change: Fan cards and pumpkins

The happy Bog is on a brief vacation. It'll be back in a few days. Please don't give up on it if you're not interested in this stuff.

"I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years," Redskins COO David Donovan said, in a quote I'm likely to recycle 7,000 times in the next week or so. "But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference."

To his lasting credit, Bill Rohland asked Donovan about this exact quote during his Tuesday appearance on 106.7 The Fan.

"Well, the question I was asked by the Post reporter was whether we were seeing different stuff in the media, ok, and I answered the question," Donovan said. "Aside form the sort of relentlessly hostile coverage in the Washington Post, which I can only characterize as relentlessly hostile...."

Etc. Rohland came back

"But Mr. Donovan, with all due respect, your quote says but in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference. Your fans weren't wearing Dumb and Dumber t-shirts with Snyder and Cerrato pictures on there [in the past]."

"Were you at the stadium [Monday] night?" Donovan asked.

"I see the picture right here," Rohland responded.

"Were you at the stadium [Monday] night?" Donovan asked again. "I saw about six of those. And I was out in the parking lot for about an hour and a half beforehand."

Ok, I was too, and we're having communication issues right now, because the issue isn't the six guys with the Dumb and Dumber shirts. Maybe the vast majority of Redskins fans remain satisfied and happy and content. I doubt it, but maybe.

The point is, there are actual fans out there who are actually changing their behavior. Not six of them, Mr. Donovan. More than six. Enough that I haven't been able to get one lick of work done today because my e-mail box is lighting up like a cigar in the owner's box. Just one e-mail of complaint and misery after another. Easily the most e-mails I've ever gotten in one day. Maybe you haven't noticed this, but trust me man, it's happening.

Like, do you see the fan cards created above? With instructions to mail one copy to Ashburn, and another to various media outlets? Did that happen before? Did I just miss it?

And now, just a few more things chosen from my inbox.

* From Reader Edison: "We have an annual pumpkin carving contest in our office and I thought I'd share with you the one my group did." That's a nice looking pumpkin.

* Paint Branch High's Darnell Dockett, now a star with the Cardinals, has been answering Skins' questions on Twitter. Like these:

if jason campbell was your QB would you intentionally hit stick him in practice?

(answer: YUP knock his [bleep] OUT!)

if you were a Redskin how would you feel right now??

(answer: I'd jump out my car during traffic HEAD 1ST!)

* I've mentioned how I'm not supposed to use text or images of the word [Stinks], and I've gotten two different answers from two different Redskins employees when I asked if "Snyder [Stinks]" t-shirts are allowed at FedEx. Luckily, no more worries: there's now SnyderStinks.com, with t-shirts to match.

* Riggo has a new video. It's posted here. Here's the highlight, if you don't watch the whole thing.

"In front of his nice cozy fireplace up in that box, the owner continues to play his violin....I hate to be the one to keep doing it week in and week out. But in a way, it is entertainment, and if you have a perverse, I guess, sense of humor as I do, you can actually find this to be quite comical."

* A Redskins drinking game, posted at Hogs Haven. Also, Hogs Haven published a rant from a fan who says he was threatened with legal action over his club seat contract.

* I hadn't realized this, but the Caps, Wiz and Skins all play their next game in Atlanta. Also, as D.C. Landing Strip points out, D.C. managed to beat Dallas and Philly on Tuesday night. Good stuff.

* Reliable Source writes about what it's like to be inside the owner's box during Skins games nowadays. Awkward, seems to be the word. Carl Lewis and Bruce Smith were among the guests on Monday night.

* I'm not sure that anything's made me happier this week than this Ovechkin Redskins jersey, at Fleur De Los, with comments on why it's necessary.

* Ok, I take it back. This e-mail made me happier, from Reader Karl: "Saw this at a booth in Annapolis Mall yesterday and thought it might be useful in a future collage of Redskins Fail apparel. I neglected to ask the vendor if anyone had actually bought one."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 28, 2009; 2:59 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: UPDATE: Geico Redskins signs ok at FedEx Field
Next: Around The Horn tackles the sign ban

Comments

People should start bringing signs to Caps and Wizards games. Just mock Snyder and tell him he can't take these signs away. Point to Leonsis and the Caps as an example of how to build a winning franchise - not ruin it. Guarantee it would get coverage and piss Snyder off.

Posted by: jt110 | October 28, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

The facebook group, with instructions, for the Fan Card

Posted by: madish32 | October 28, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Darnell Docket would be too busy stealing to "knock his [bleep] OUT"

Posted by: Kev29 | October 28, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Enough that I haven't been able to get one lick of work done today because my e-mail box is lighting up like a cigar in the owner's box. Just one e-mail of complaint and misery after another. Easily the most e-mails I've ever gotten in one day. Maybe you haven't noticed this, but trust me man, it's happening."

How many more you going to post without names and sections and use as content?

Guess I'll go over to Reid's blog, which is where this detritis should be in the first place. Or maybe you can talk to Pat Collins; he's a pro at doing the "Woe is Redskin fan" story.

Posted by: Section117 | October 28, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why anyone would defend Snyder for his actions. He's lower than low. I don't know why anyone would trash the Post for speaking the truth. Any attempt to prove otherwise is just futile because it just doesn't fly.

Fan cards NOW!

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 28, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | October 28, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Considering that redskins security were instructed to collect the names of disgruntled fans on Monday night (in the six anectodal occurences that it happened), I'm not sure if it's the wisest move to give Mussolteeny your personal information, especially if you're a season ticket holder.

Then again, at this point screw it

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 28, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

If you could link your Inbox to Twitter and then to the Bog....you could just go play with your kid all day and still have good content and traffic.

Posted by: kolbkl | October 28, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

So, is it okay to bring anti-Snyder/Cerrato signs if you write GEICO on the back of it?

Posted by: freakzilla | October 28, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Another team-licensed Redskin t-shirt has pictures of Snyder and Vinny, except "Dumb and Dumber" has been replaced with "It's Not Time for Change."

Posted by: BobLHead | October 28, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS MEDIA OUTLET RELIES ON UNNAMED SOURCES WHEN ANSWERING FAN QUESTIONS

Following are excerpts from the official Redskins Blog comment section about the events of Monday Night at Fedex Field.

Regarding free giveout of signs by Redskins:

Matt Terl said...
"Certainly does seem hypocritical. Not much to argue with there."

FalloftheSnyderEmpire said...
Ok, so connect the dots Matt. If it's all about fan safety, then why give out free signs and towels to wave about (i.e. cloth signs)?

If it's not about safety, then what could it be about?

(Waiting for Matt to close the loop)

10-28-2009
Matt Terl said...
"My guess is that it's about a giveaway deal that was signed and put into place before the signage policy changed, but I really don't know."

10-28-2009
FalloftheSnyderEmpire said...
OK, now you are guessing, and I accept this is a possibility. But since we are accepting possibilities here, could it be possible that all of these practices - developing and then enforcing the new sign policy (which somehow did not cover the "Unconditional Love" sign shown on TV), enforcing removal of anti-management message t-shirts, enforcement of quieting anti-management chanting - that all of these practices were part of an organized effort to keep the Redskins from looking bad on the nationally televised MNF?

Do you Matt Terl, categorically reject this possibility as false (i.e. not at all possible)?

Are you further saying this is a ridiculous proposition?

10-28-2009
Matt Terl said...
"I don't categorically reject it as impossible, nor am I saying that it's some kind of preposterous assumption. But my impression -- which is based on a substantial number of conversations with people in the organization -- is that it isn't what happened."

10-28-2009
FalloftheSnyderEmpire said...
I see. Are you now relying on "unnamed sources" to back up your assertion that all these censorship incidents were random in nature? Anyone else willing to go on the record about this?

If you can't give us names, can you tell us if you are talking to security guards, security guard managers, other middle managers, or senior executives about these issues?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No further response from Matt Terl at the Official Redskins Blog.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 28, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Fan cards NOW!

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 28, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If that's what you think it is, then you fail.

Posted by: Section117 | October 28, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Update: Matt Terl did graciously respond on the Redskins Blog to me.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 28, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Section 117, I understand you don't like all this Redskins stuff. While I respect that you remain commenting on all this coverage throughout the day, may I ask why you continue to do so when you do not like all the Redskins material? No disrespect meant, just wondering.

Are you just waiting for the regular Bog to return?

Posted by: hithere1 | October 28, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

hithere1, 117 is just a big troublemaker

Posted by: Leeguru | October 28, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg = Fail.

A change in fan behavior is when people stop showing up for the games in droves.

People are pissed. They're writing you and making silly t-shirts and signs, but what continues to happen?

They show up at the games, and are loud. Again, it was the loudest I've heard at the Philly game. In the end, that's all that matters. If/when people stop going to games, then you can trot out your behavior change.

Until then, yay anecdotal evidence.

Posted by: popopo | October 28, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Section 117: Um, what's your deal boss? You on the payroll? Related to someone in management? What is it you're defending?

I've seen plenty of Dan's Bog posts with names, photos, links etc. What, you want their address and the best time to reach them at home? I really don't get where you're coming from or what your point is. Enlighten me.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

GEICO doesn't care about black people.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 28, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg = Fail.

Until then, yay anecdotal evidence.

Posted by: popopo | October 28, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

As true as that may be, dont lose sight of the real problem which is that it should never be even close to coming to the point where fans have to throw away their tickets to be heard.

When you say the loudest you have ever heard...do you mean the booing throughout the second half? Because that came through pretty clearly on my tv speakers (note: i am not going to the games).

Inevitably it will happen and people will stop going, but what you are hearing right now is the whistle before the train leaves the station along with all the fans on board. Once it leaves - at least for a lot of fans - I am not sure it is coming back.

Posted by: nick87 | October 28, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Presumably an owner would like to make some changes BEFORE his fans stopped attending games.

Also, I think attendance might be a lagging indicator. Season tickets renewals would be a much better measure. I know if I had paid $80 for an obstructed view I'd still be going. I certainly haven't bought a stubhub ticket for two or three years and haven't bought concessions when offered free tickets for one.

Posted by: Section506 | October 28, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

not to beat a dead horse...but when you were looking for the old stadium policy re: banners, there was no need to find an old school yellow pages, just use the internet archive:

maybe this will save you some leg work in the future! Love the bog! And I agree, a half empty stadium during the Chiefs game, booing the Skins DURING A HOME WIN, and a loyal fan base that is quickly losing their enthusiasm for their team IS a change in behavior, regardless if it impacting the teams bottom line YET or not.

Posted by: jj24k03 | October 28, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. That's it. You've found me out.

Or perhaps I'd like to see the Bog cover "the Wizards, the Nationals, the Capitals, D.C. United, NASCAR, ultimate fighting, amateur rugby, minor-league basketball, cup stacking, competitive yoga, gourmet cheese, craft beer, local bloggers, obscure message boards, reality television, gambling addicts and funny hats" sometime between now and the end of the month.

Posted by: Section117 | October 28, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Dan, Great coverage of our favorite team's fanbase, keep it up!

And Section117, we are here because the Redskins Insider writes an insipid column and is nearly as out-of-touch with the team as Vinny.

HTTR

Posted by: chas2 | October 28, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

OK, you don't like the shift of focus to the Redskins. Got it.

Don't worry, this should be over by January 2010, and we'll all leave the Bog commenting in your more than capable hands at that time. Until then, have fun reading about the Redskins!

Posted by: hithere1 | October 28, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. That's it. You've found me out.

Posted by: Section117 | October 28, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Dude, that's a lot of random stuff for Steinberg to cover by the end of the month. There's only 3 days left!

He might have time for the cup stacking/competitive yoga piece, since they go hand-in-hand, but the gourmet cheese/funny hats post will have to wait until November.

Or until Vinny Cerrato is fired, whichever comes first.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 28, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Or until Vinny Cerrato is fired, whichever comes first.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 28, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Are you still taking bets on the over for that one?

Posted by: Section117 | October 28, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

boycott

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 28, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

David Donovan < Baghdad Bob

Posted by: laxbigj | October 28, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Riggo, I think somebody's had tee many martoonis.

The unintentional irony of "Don't hate" next to the emblem of the Redskins is nearly too much to take.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 28, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Section 117: I get what you're saying now and understand where you're coming from. However, I think it's hard to deny the this is a unique case of the city's most entrenched team and its ownership group stifling dissent of its own stupidity as if it were a third world dictatorship in the nations' capital, of all places. Lets be real, Jason Reid is not in a position to cover this and the majority of it would have to be compiled to be placed in a standard Post web article, with less detail. This is the perfect outlet for it and I for one, am glad Steinz is doing it. Ask yourself, who else would? Who else on the Post's staff do you see digging thru the trash to find innocuous signs that the petty thin skinned tyrant of the DC metro area deemed unworthy of his presence? Boswell? Wilbon? Doubtful.

Fortunately, Hockey and Basketball seasons are just beginning, and he will have ample opportunity for the irreverant pieces we're normally accustomed to.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan, did you know they just mistook you for "Dan Snyder" on the page linking to this one:

I'd be pissed! Haha...

Posted by: DieselDiaz | October 29, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

seems like it would be a good idea to flood FedEx with complaints (as indirectly reco'd above). Its time to hit danny where it hurts.

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | October 29, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Come on, 117...you have to admit that what Snyder and his henchmen are doing is unprecedented in this area when it comes to sports, and unusual in the entire sports world. Don't you think it deserves a little attention?

Since the Wizards and Caps seasons are just getting started and have way more months to go, there will be plenty of time for them later.

Here is an idea: instead of complaining in the comments section, why don't you complain to Andrew Alexander, the ombudsman of the Post? Whining on here and attacking people commenting about the article will get you nowhere.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 29, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Attention? Yes. Missives every 2 hours, including unattributed reports? Come the F on.

Here's a counterproposal: Please have some context and perspective when categorizing my comments as "attacks."

Posted by: Section117 | October 29, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

remove signs of that sorry team

Posted by: aypub | October 29, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse