Behavior Change: Skins Tees at MNF

Chatting at 11:30. Submit questions here.

"I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years," Redskins general counsel David Donovan said, in a quote I'm likely to recycle 7,000 times in the next week or so. "But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference."

Look, there were 80,000 people at FedEx Field last night. No way I personally saw any sizable portion of that mass of humanity. But I didn't have to look particularly hard to find people wearing shirts that were crying out in rage. White people and black people, men and women, old people and young people, professional people and working-class people.

Do eight pictures make the case for actual fans behaving in actual different ways? No, of course not. It's all anecdotal. But when several tons of greasy anecdotes are dumped over your head, you have to have some pretty heavy-duty coating not to notice it at all. Keep reading.

I'm going to be beating this drum all day, but the number of people either kicked out Monday night, or threatened with ejection for showing signs of dissent really makes me want to give up on sports entirely. You're going to end dissent through the closest thing a stadium has to real force? That's going to make people happier? By kicking them out for chanting "Danny Stinks?" By ripping up their signs asking for Ovechkin to call plays?

Or, as in the case of the two men pictured above, by forcing them to turn their shirts inside-out under threat of removal?

What about these guys? Explosive, right? I mean, these guys scream out "threat to the system." Well, they also had a sign on their tailgate that said it was the Official Dan Snyder [Stinks] Tailgate. Three security guys said if the VP of Operations saw the banner, they would lose their season tickets and parking pass for the rest of the year.

"We called them on their bluff," said Steven Ellis, 23, of Centreville. "He's got better things to do. We figured we were speaking for the voice of a lot of Redskins fans. No big deal."

(There were at least two different models of Snyder [Stinks] shirts, and I have images of both, but I'm not allowed to use that word anymore. Sorry.)

Do you care why these people were wearing these shirts? I mean, I could write down the quotes without even asking the questions, I've heard the answers so many times, from so many people, in so many places.

"Snyder needs to leave," said Katie Hogan of Gambrills, who had the above shirt custom-made. "Then I think we'd have a chance at winning."

"We just want on flash, five seconds [of protest] on Monday Night Football," said Steve Sinnott of Baltimore, who printed up 150 shirts bearing a variety of critical messages and had no problem giving them away.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: you don't have to interview people to hear the invective. Literally, just walking around with my ears open, I heard fans discussing the policy of suing delinquent season ticket holders. I heard fans making jokes about how they couldn't give their Skins memorabilia away. I heard the name of the owner coming out of one mouth after another.

What does it all mean? Well, it doesn't mean the world is changing. It's still just a silly football team, and our silly love for sports. But I'm telling you, Redskins officials, in terms of the way your actual fans are behaving, things are a little bit different right now. Maybe you're still collecting on tickets and parking, and maybe you're still getting boffo TV ratings, and maybe if you win six out of eight everything goes back to normal. But right now? This very day? The behavior has changed.

Admitting that might be a step in the right direction.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 27, 2009; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Wizards still have swag
Next: Redskins ban signs at FedEx Field

Comments

Fans voice their displeasure, but continue to give management money and line the revenue pockets.

Posted by: Section117 | October 27, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

At half time, I went down to the concessions area to get a beer and a dog. Of course, the crowd was once again getting restless at the lack of productivity we were seeing on the field. Standing two rows away from me in line, were two middle aged men. One wore a T-shirt that read "Fire Snyder", the other's said "Fire Vinny". It wasn't long after standing there that the men were surrounded by close to a dozen people wearing yellow security jackets. The conversation between them and the two men escalated quickly as security asked the men to remove their shirts. Of course the men refused, and one stated that he had been a season ticket holder for 26 years. The conversation continued to get heated and before you knew it 6 or 7 armed security officers formed a circle around the layer of yellowed jacketed security officers. "Sir, you're about to lose those season tickets if you don't take off that shirt" is what he was told. I don't know what got into me but I had seen enough and had to speak up. This was beyond absurd! I cut across a crowd of people, entering the circle of security.... I said " these guys should be able to wear whatever they want! What the hell is going on? What the hell is this? Communist Russia??? ". I was quickly greeted with a stern warning to not interfere and a shove in the chest that sent me back a few feet. A few minutes later, the men were escorted out of the area and a security woman approached me with an explanation about their actions. "Look, I know what you're saying, and I can't say that I don't agree with you, but I'm a part-time teacher and this job is my Holiday money"...."upper management told us to come up here and ask these men to remove their shirts and I can't lose my job, so I'm doing it."

I decided then and there that I would NEVER again set foot in Fed Ex Stadium as long as Dan Snyder was the owner. The way I saw people being treated for voicing their opinions on this night embarrassed me as a Redskin fan, a Washingtonian, and as an American. These sort of totalitarian strong arm tactics are downright shameful and I needed to let others know about it. I hope you share this story with your audience.

A deeply embarrassed Redskins fan

Posted by: CedarR | October 27, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

1) the pockets are already lined in terms of tickets and parking passes as these things were bought and paid for long ago.

2) you have no proof of concession sales. perhaps they have fallen recently. Dan? That would be an interesting find.

3) the players still deserve support, and the right not to play in front of 80k eagles fans

4) it's still entertainment. if i were in DC now, I would get great pleasure out of watching the game (that might be a stretch) and wearing shirts displaying my seething hatred for the two-headed moron in charge.

Posted by: ThisGuy | October 27, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

They are kicking out paying Redskins fans and seasons ticket holders for having signs and shirts critical of The Danny? They have lost their collective minds over there. Dan Stein, you should do what you can to highlight this disgraceful behavior. It is apparent the Redskins Management has no clue how to treat its fans and the lack of respect for the fans is beyond maddening. This is a billionaire who still behaves as the kid who was always picked on. People in all walks of life stand up and answer questions - over the life and death decisions they make - everyday. You would think The Danny or Cerrato would have the courage to answer questions about the decisions that they have made in regards to a FOOTBALL TEAM. Snyder and Cerrato need to grow a pair and get some perspective on life.

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 27, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@ CedarR

that is disgusting.

and it makes me wonder why upper management doesn't tell security to forcibly remove anyone wearing the jersey of the opposing team? where is the line being drawn here? perhaps that is in the best way to protest...everyone show up in a cowgirls jersey.

Posted by: ThisGuy | October 27, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I am a bit naive, but do the free speech protections offered by the 1st Amendment cease to exist at the stadium? Does the ticket contract specify that criticism of ownership and management will not be tolerated? I would love to find someone who tape recorded their interaction with stadium security and used that as the basis for a civil suit.

If Snyder and company want things to change do something, anything, to demonstrate that you hear the fans. Sticking with "Mr. Snyder does not discuss the team during the season" is weak and cowardly.

Posted by: skipper7 | October 27, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

One more thing...there has to be videotape of this since it appears to have happened multiple times. Would security demand that the evidence be turned over similar to what happened to Lebron James at the Nike camp?

Posted by: skipper7 | October 27, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

i can't believe that management is shutting its eyes, sticking its fingers in its ears, and signing "la la la" to this issue...all i know is it can't last much longer.

who would even want to go to a game where you can't voice your dissent? this isn't the iranian national soccer team...this is the team that supposedly represents the NATION'S CAPITAL. of everything that has gone on this backwards season, it is that quelling of dissension that truly makes me sick.

SELL THE TEAM DAN.

Posted by: bacaje | October 27, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Don't blame Vinny or the Danny it's all Steinz fault.
Damn you D.C. Sports Bog!!!

Posted by: jonthefisherman | October 27, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

After reading this entry, it is clear that anyone that continues to go to Redskins games and patronizes Dan $nyder's team is simply a dog that enjoys eating its own vomit. Proverbs 26:11.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | October 27, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

wow, just wow. just when you think this organization cant be any dumber. like a co-worker of mine used to say, this organization can screw up a [not dry] dream.

the irony is of course, if they just let these people wear their shirts, this would be a non story. just some goofy pictures on a blog and thats it. by rolling out the gestapo tactics they made it a 10x bigger deal than it should have been. not sure what they are worse at, putting together a football team or PR.

i urge the lawyers out there to attend the next home game and monitor the security activity. then prepare a lawsuit naming the skins for breach of contract, etc. these people needed to be shamed..if thats possible.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 27, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I just realized who Dan Snyder reminds me of. Commodus from Gladiator. The Joaquin Phoenix character. Miserable little tyrant

Posted by: CrownRoyal1 | October 27, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Just.stop.going.

Posted by: bryc3 | October 27, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

It's as if they're trying to draw a line in the sand saying "You must first love the Danny to continue loving the Redskins"

Well to that I say.....game on.

Again I must point out, showing up, spending money, and wearing a tee-shirt with an anti-management phrase on it is going to do NOTHING to change things except apparently get you thrown out of the stadium. However, if you must spend several thousand dollars to enjoy your Sundays and Mondays in a parking lot of beautiful Landover Maryland.......be a little more subtle in the criticism. Wear nothing but black and absolutely do not wear burgundy and gold. It will make a massive silent statement about your feelings towards the Redskins and management can't throw you out for a color can they?

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 27, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

We (DC United fans) had similar problems with CSC security at RFK years ago. Once we told them they were being videotaped did they think twice and back off from putting their hands on anyone.

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 27, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice job, Dan!! (Steinberg)

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 27, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

This is the first time in 10 years that I've followed the Redskins and the NFL with any interest. I was a diehard my entire life until about '99 or so. I always despised Jerry Jones and when Snyder bought the team, I thought, "This guy is worse then Jones." So I promptly gave up on the team as a matter of principle.

This constant stream of open-season reporting on Snyder has made for excellent reading.

Posted by: Longgoneposter | October 27, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to clog up a thread.....

But the next time this happens, someone brave needs to discretely capture a video of this on their cell phone and post it on the Bog.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 27, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Dan, your Bog is the best part of that WaPo's Skins coverage. Why is there no link to you even within the Skins section???

Posted by: jmink4a5 | October 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

At least Danny hasn't yet physically attacked a fan for carrying a disparaging sign. We have one local owner who did that, remember.

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 27, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I bet Dan made a few bucks on those shirts!

Posted by: coricoates | October 27, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

and the drama continues. i heard that petitbon is scheduled to resurface next season, but with amnesia! terry robeskie then gets maureen bunyan pregnant! stay tuned!!

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

@ThisGuy

It certainly is disgusting. My biggest fear was that this story wasn't going to get heard. Big props to Dan for the great article and the platform for us to vent.

Posted by: CedarR | October 27, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I think you need to bring this to the attention of the news side of the house and get a story on the front page with pics of people getting asked to leave, etc. This is so over the top that I believe as soon as more people hear of these tactics, the PR disaster will make the suing ticket holders article look like a fluff piece.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 27, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

These accounts of management bullying fans are horrific. Give that jerk something he understands, a class action lawsuit.

Posted by: 123cartoon | October 27, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Just got done listening to Donovan on the Mike Wise show.....Whoooo, what a piece of work that guy is. He did the organization absolutely no favors whatsoever by coming on that show and only solidified my belief that it's the same type of attitude prevalent thoughout the Redskins upper management. After hearing that and now reading about all the people who got Jack-booted out of their shirts last night, I am truly motivated to partake in anything that could prevent even on penny of mine going to Dan Snyder.

Posted by: jahs4fun | October 27, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

It's clearly obvious to me that the real problem with the Redskins is all the negative press from the Washington Post regarding the team.

Washington Post, how dare you report that this team is 2-5! They are actually 5-2! For shame....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 27, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThisGuy | October 27, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

1) Don't care.
2) Don't care.
3) REALLY don't care.
4) Yes, watching them play football is entertaining, if entertaining = sad.

Posted by: Section117 | October 27, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Those morons with the dumb and dumber shirts should have had a third guy there with a dumbest shirt with an arrow pointing to them and a picture of Snyder and Cerrato laughing for lining their pockets.

Posted by: playahatah | October 27, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 27, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

i'd have more respect for danny if he did confront fans on his own like ted did. not saying what ted did was right, but he didnt have security go over to the guy and tell him to take his sign down or get tossed. only after the guy came around the arena to heckle ted did he take matters into his own hands. when it comes to being a good owner, danny doesnt measure up to ted in any way (litterally and figuratively).

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 27, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

My friend is one of the guys with a bag on his head. He took three bags because the FedEx Field Gestapo kept taking them from them. Redskins = Communist Country

Posted by: MBUSA | October 27, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steinberg,

Can you get these stories to the National news outlets?? They'll eat it up. It needs to get out there. The one story in the comments is so disheartening. Danny's obsession with controlling the media, the message, and attacking all others who are against him is sick. Reminds me of living in East Germany. Wow.

Jon

Posted by: jonbrownvt | October 27, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Steinz -

Please please please, for the love of everything that is sacred, holy, blasphemous and profane, DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING DOWN FROM THIS PAGE. The Redskins organization should not infringe on your First Amendment rights to post pictures, stories, etc. which contain truth, not lies or distortions. The public has a right to know how the fans are getting treated. You are instrumental to that.

That being said, here's to Dan Snyder, who won't ever learn his lesson that HE CANNOT PLAY FANTASY FOOTBALL WITH A REAL-LIFE FOOTBALL TEAM.

eds

Posted by: EddieP1 | October 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

STOP giving Snyder your $$$. This ABSURD!!

Posted by: sportdan | October 27, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

all you fans need to quit whining,if you really want this to end actually boycott the team by not actually going to the games,don't buy the merchandise,sell your season tickets to fans of the other teams.Putting shirts on that say fire this person or fire that person does nothing.Quit supporting the team.I'm a die-hard skins fan but i've already stopped watching them.I watched Raw last night instead.All in all don't go to the games,and the nfl will notice have to do something.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

These tactics by "upper management", ie, Vinny & Danny, just speak to their profound arrogance & unwavering conviction that Redskins fans are fans for life.

Danny, Vinny... take a gander up I-95 and look at the Baltimore Orioles. A decade ago, Oriole Park was filled every night with die-hard fans used to a winning tradition over the past 3 decades. Sound familiar?

Now, after a decade of disgusting front office mismanagement, Oriole Park is simply Fenway South/Yankee Stadium South, and empty when the Red Sox & Yankees are not playing there. The Orioles have ZERO national identity, and people outside of the Baltimore area cannot name a single current Oriole.

The Redskins brand is valuable because the Redskins have historically been winners, and because of this, the fans have been rabid & passionately loyal, even in slow years.

But when it gets to the point that you're literally sending goons to rough up paying customers, that's when fans will get angry and will abandon the team. And when I say abandon the team, I mean we will stop caring enough to be emotionally and financially invested in the Redskins. No more Redskins jerseys for Christmas. No more $6000 club level season ticket deals. No more DirecTV subscriptions to watch the Redskins lose in this ridiculous, Bad News Bears manner every week.

I hope that Jerry Jones pays for the next vacation you 2 go on together, because you will see a lot of blue stars at Fed Ex for a long, long time.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skipper7 | October 27, 2009 11:55 AM

The short answer is "yes." FedEx Field is Dan Snyder's little sandbox, and therefore private property. He can kick you out for any reason or no reason at all. Of course, having the constitutional right to do something doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

The contract issue about the tickets is slightly more difficult. However, most tickets have fine print on them about "abusive" behavior or some such. Conveniently ambiguous, so that the security thugs can pretty much do whatever they want without the ticketholder getting a refund.

Regardless of the legalities, Snyder's an idiot for allowing the security folks to do this stuff (assuming he didn't specifically order it). He's already got enough bad publicity as it is.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Danny is such a small, small, small, small small, small, small, smallsmall, small, small, small small, small, small, smallsmall, small, small, small small, small, small, small, man. Even a billion dollars can't make him any taller; or smarter.

Posted by: wiatrol | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Unreal. Cannot believe it has come to this. Who the F do they think they are to bully the fans who are voicing their opinions? I would've gotten into a mad raging fight if anyone had tried to kick me out for wearing a sign that had no expletives on it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 27, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

quit complaining about the shirts.just don't go to the games.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I was given a FREE ticket to the philly/skins game last night (I would not pay $5 to watch a 2009 redskins game)...I smuggled 3 brown paper bags with eye holes poked out into FEDEX field ...FEDEX security confiscated one bag from me at haltime....the FEDEX GOON SQUAD took the 2nd bag from me in the 3rd quarter...& I had the last bag ripped off my head (by security) as I exited the stadium as that woeful football game ended.

Posted by: jrebstock | October 27, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

one word:

capitals

Posted by: ebeniezer | October 27, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Let me first say that I am a Cowboys fan, not really my fault, my friends say my parents moved there for the "wrong" years.

I am absolutely disgusted by this. While I cheer for all other DC teams, the Skins were the only ones I couldn't bring myself to. But in a transient city where so many grew up elsewhere, the Skins were the lone constant. They always had a sold-out home support the way the Caps or Wizards never did, filled only with Washington fans. While having to deal with Pittsburgh of Philly fans taking over other places, Skins games were the one place that wouldn't happen (until the Boys came to town of course).

I recognize and respect what they mean for this city and its sole sporting pride for so long, until the Caps of late. And that is how to build a franchise - Synder could learn alot from Ted.

And someone mentioned Jerry Jones - I actually blame him for what's happened with both teams. Jones just has a modicum bit of football sense than Synder and that's the only reason Dallas has done alright the last few years. But I totally blame Danny's ego problems and growing up a Skins fan for these problems.

He has a massive inferiority complex in general and especially in regards to Jones and the Cowboys. He's a spoiled brat who wants to beat his hated boyhood rival at everything, and the Skins will continue to suffer until he realizes he can't beat Jones. Any Redskins dome at RFK will do nothing to alleviate this.

Posted by: Josh86 | October 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Amen xpac69. Redskin fans: Not going to the games is also Free Speech. It's safer, cheaper, and Snyder will notice his pockets getting lighter.

Posted by: driver9999 | October 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

For the people saying that ticketholders shouldn't put more money in Dan Snyder's pocket, duly noted. However, remember that the tickets were bought and paid for months ago before the season began.

If you've already gotten the tickets, and you can't sell them to save your life, you might as well go to the game with a "Snyder [stinks]" T-shirt on. Just don't buy any more concessions or apparel etc.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

season ticket holders that can't sell their tickets should still not go and take the money you wasted on them as a loss.don't go and the NFL will have to do something.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: driver9999 | October 27, 2009 1:52 PM

Can't confiscate an empty seat. Some people like the confrontation, though.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

yea some like the confrontation,but your still supporting the dingleberry danny by going to the games and buying the merchandise.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

easy for people w/o the tix to tell those with what to do with them. disingenuous too, imo...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Season ticket holders, Danny already has your money.. So go ahead and go to the games...I still vote for a sit in, but if you're not for that, just wear black, and have a mass exit of fans at a given time..Like when the opposing teams scores first...

Posted by: frostanna | October 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm not telling you what to do with them i'm just making a suggestion on how to solve all this crap.Complaining does nothing.Especially to a spoiled little punk like Snyder.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry Danny-boy. I won't wear any derogatory Redskins shirts. In fact I will never wear anything with a Redskins logo as long as you own the team. Go screw!!!

Posted by: lj1126 | October 27, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

as long as snyder is owner we'll never go to the Super Bowl.We might as well start calling ourselves the new Lions.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Dan, when David Dominic was on Wise's show every time he said "Washington Post" did you hear "Dan Steinburg"?

To the question on Free Speech, there are a lot of lawsuits about the right to free speech on private property, and I am almost certain you do not have any rights once on private property. You can thank the conservatives in the nation for that.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Go VIKINGS!!!!!

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hell go anybody but the Skins!!!

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

People who like this blog:

How about you buy a subscription to the Washington Post? It is like $20 bucks.

Do it! It allows the Washington Post to remain more objective and free from Snyder.

Just something to think about.

Posted by: CrabHands | October 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frostanna | October 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

That's a long way to go to sit at a game for 3 minutes.

Posted by: Section117 | October 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

sit ins do nothing,just look at the hippies of the 60's

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

"Blatant Orwellian Tactics Against Fans at FedEx Field"

Paid for by Daniel Snyder and directed by Vinnie "I'm Just Takin' Orders" Cerrato.

Double-Plus Ungood

Posted by: 3rdGenRFan | October 27, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

You can't say "sucks"? How about "blows"?

Posted by: corones | October 27, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Funkey, if fans keep wearing stuff like Snyder sucks t-shirts to the games and then get thrown out by security, they won't have tickets either.

Posted by: driver9999 | October 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

sucks and blows is basically the same thing.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"season ticket holders that can't sell their tickets should still not go and take the money you wasted on them as a loss."

i must if misread. somehow i interpreted that as telling them what to do. silly me...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

my bad if it sounded like i was telling ya'll what to do it was just a suggestion.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg,

Thanks for writing about such reprehensible behavior by ownership & management. Needs to be brought to light. Totally unacceptable. With a thought process like this is there any question as to why the team is so bad?

Posted by: notamullethead | October 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Yet I could walk into a Modell's today and find adults buying jerseys of players who are younger than they are. STOP buying his (feces)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MKadyman | October 27, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

This raises serious legal problems for the Redskins organization. The first amendment DEFINITELY still exist inside privately owned Fed-Ex Field. It was a public event with 80k+ people. And the Redskins are a publicly recognized monopoly. Physical threats of being removed from the stadium? Economic threats of being stripped of their season tickets (assuming they are still worth anything)? This whole episode is down right un-American, and any judge or jury would recognize that.

Posted by: dwyersteve | October 27, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

its not the redskins its the lions version 2.0

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

nah, np. though i would sympathize with an all out boycott, i just don't see it as a practical solution for several reasons. however, i don't see any other ideas that will do much either. i think skins fans are held hostage right now and will be for some time...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Snyder Sucks would be technically be profane. I mean isn't Snyder a curse word at this point?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

no offense meant but you don't see boycotting as a solution cause your scared to do it,because of your loyalty to the skins,but nothing will ever change as long as snyder and his little butt buddy is running things.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hit this little Hitler where it hurts! Get a LAWYER!! I just wish one fan would have the balls to stand up to the security and let them put thier hands on them while refusing to take off the shirts or refusing to leave the stadium and then GET A LAWYER!! Little HITLER SOB!! Snyder = HITLER! Hail to the SS Skins!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

oh yea and speaking of freedom of speech you are being told what can and can't say on here aren't you,how ironic.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

no snyder is lee harvey oswald.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Little pip squeek SOB! I would love to catch him in an alley! Hail to the SS Skins! Little Hitler SOB!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

no he's lee harvey oswald

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Unless tickets or season ticket contracts spell out a "dress code" and do not contain profanity or obscenities that can be seen by jueveniles attending or viewing on TV, fans have a right to weat what they want. I had to deal once with Dan Snyder during a retail transaction. You will not be surprised to learn he is every bit as arrogant, obnoxius and egomanical in even the most mundane aspects of life. Money or, lack thereof, is the only way to get this jerk's attention. He neither knows anything about or cares about the concept of teamwork or sportsmanship. He has used a loyal fan base to line his pockets while systematically destroying a fine football organization.

I would encourage all fans to bring on the shirts. Can he hire enough jack-booted thugs to throw you all out? And no season ticket holders will certainly get his attention.

Posted by: Frustratededucator | October 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I guess Hitler is to good of a name for him.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

you are right it is fear. not the fact that a boycott would do nothing. you totally nailed it.

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

wearing those shirts will nothing in the long run.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

sorry a boycott would do something cause the nfl would have to do something about it,because it hurts their pockets also.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

neither will a boycott with no support...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

yes it will cause snyder won't be getting anymore money and eventually have to sell the team.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The Ravens are a first class organization with a humble owner. They have the best game-day experience in the NFL and there is plenty of room for fans up in Baltimore. I suggest you all switch allegiances to Maryland's team.

Posted by: terpsfan25 | October 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

even more reason to boycott is the fact that he sells tickets to brokers before he sells them to fans.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

oh, ok. i see your logic. a boycott with no support will work. this is the second most profitable franchise in the NFL. they print money there. a boycott, while perhaps well intentioned, will never accomplish anything.

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

like wearing those stupid shirts will?

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

actually we are third in revenue.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

i doubt the shirts will accomplish all that much either. but it IS being reported here as well as other places. there were calls for a boycott of last night. how did that work out? place looked full on TV. unless you can get a HUGE buy-in for a boycott, which is overwhelmingly unlikely, it will be a futile gesture...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

why support a team that won't go anywhere as long as they have an idiot for an owner and an even bigger idiot for a vp? im talking about boycotting till hes gone.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Forbes lists them as number 2...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

dude - then go boycott. enjoy it. have fun. no one will stop you. just don't expect it to have any impact...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

thats cause people don't have the guts to actually do it.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

i don't think it has to do with guts or fear. it is that many/most of the folks that attend the game have either a) already spent money on tix and are locked in contractually so a boycott is not practical; b) use the game as a networking spot or a company perk and could care less about the team; or c) like to go there for the spectacle of the NFL and/or to get really drunk and aren't all that concerned about the team.
calling people chicken doesn't change this or the impact of your one man boycott...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

of course not cause i'm just one person,but at least I have the testicular fortitude to do it.I've alredy started by not watching the game last night,instead i watched WWE which hasn't been much better with the tvpg rating.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

well if boycotting makes you feel like you have testicular fortitude then i guess it is something you should do...

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

i feel sorry for the fans who gave snyder their hard earned money to watch the lions 2.0 to loose,and for the ones who go there to get drunk do it at home whle watching real teams play,and keep from getting duis after leaving the stadium.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

i guess you like that cool-aid snyders giving you,its like Jim Jones giving poison cool-aid to his brain dead followers.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

totally. you nailed it again. good thing you are in charge of this boycott! it's a no-fail!

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

and you forgot i am also skeeeeeeered!

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Whatever you cool-aid drinker.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

no stupid is more like it.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

ha ha ha

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

its all good.like i said before we'll never go anywhere as long as Daniel Stalin is the owner

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is a drinking someone's cool-aid

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is a drinking someone's cool-aid

Posted by: alex35332 | October 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

OH YEAH!

Posted by: funkey | October 27, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

if anyone goes to the next home game should have a shirt that says Daniel Stalin on it!!

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

what it all boils down to is we have an incompetent qb a coach who wont control his players,a vp who cant evaluate talent and an owner who cares about the money not the team.

Posted by: xpac69 | October 27, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how you all missed it but the camera at half-time caught a shot of Snyder in his suite wearing a t-shirt that had a picture of Skin's fans on it with the caption 'Dumbest.'

Ouch.

All kidding aside, I've actually defended the guy .. stuff happens, he made some bad choices but he'll spend the bucks to fix it. However, stuff like this? I hope the affected fans lawyer up and stick it to him on this issue.

Posted by: tslats | October 27, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I moved to central Montana over 9 years ago and friends and relatives have always asked why, seeing what goes on at a Redskin game game these days should answer that!

Posted by: natureboy1t | October 27, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sherm, Zorn and Jason Campbell have no chance to succeed with that woeful offensive line that consists on montgomery, rinehart, heyer, batiste and williams....that was assembled by the inept GM (lap dog) Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: jrebstock | October 27, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I have seen this before. I had Colt season tickets during the Bob Irsay era. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have an Irsay on your hands.

Posted by: jmooreh001 | October 27, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

What about 80,000 fans chanting "Snyder Sucks" at the next home game?

Remember; money can't buy you increased height or intelligence.

Posted by: wiatrol | October 27, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Write letters and telephone all the advertisers that they will be boycotted for advertising on redskin games.

boycott all advertisers.

Posted by: californicationdude | October 27, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Vote for Dan Snyder!
As worst owner in sports history.

Posted by: precaryus1 | October 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's a bonified piece of s**t!! I stopped buying Redskins merchandise 2 months ago (which doesn't sound like a long time but I usually bought something about every week!!) I WILL continue not buying it. It pisses me off to end the way that midget acts almighty! No way am I giving this dips**t any more money...PERIOD!! I know it would be the hardest thing for most people to do, but if you STOP going to the games that would set the biggest example. For season ticketholders I'd say don't buy ANYTHING if you do go. This is the ONLY way Danny Hitler is going to get the hint!!

Posted by: MikenMan | October 27, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I live in Dallas, we call for Jerry to be fired everyday, no one cares, but for Redskin Fans to have to watch that crap last night, I watch the first 3-quarters and had all I could take, that is a team in total mess. I welcome you DC fans to Dallas, we have been living in Jerry's world for years, both he and Dan are micro managers and the Cowboys and Redskins are their toys, as long as you fans keep showing up and paying him big bucks he will have revenue to play with his toys, they are coming to Jerry world to see the Boss Hog bowl, but soon that will fade, anyone got an extra $123.00 for a cheap seat and $95.00 to park your car, if so welcome to Jerry's world. hated to see your many Cooley go down, like watching him and Whiten go at it, I liked what John Gruden said in the booth last night, maybe Dan will make the move to bring him in, but like Jerry, he will just run off good people. Sorry you have many years of this crap, it never gets better, good luck!

Posted by: bconner1 | October 27, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to Stienberg for bringing this to the attention of folks outside the beltway. I was at the game last night and witnessed the Redskins security on the field directing the security in the stands to the people carrying signs and wearing t-shirts. They took away a sign that said "Bingo" - OMG. After watching the behavior of the Redskins staff - no doubt on instructions from "the media wizard" (is it true he became a wizard buying up those cheezy direct marketing outfits?).

In any case, after watching this disgraceful treatment of the few remaining customers (and the even more disgraceful product on the field), I stood up and told all the folks seated around me that I was renouncing my 30 "fanship" of the Redskins and will switch my allegiance to the Ravens who have made the NFL experience meaningful on and off the field.

I was roundly cheered by everyone around me after my statement. Apparently I will not be alone heading to Baltimore. I encourage all good Redskins to do the same.

Posted by: themarks1 | October 27, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

i missed all the security guards making people leave who had something objectionable. What I did see was a drunkard eagle fan really calling a lot of racist comments to a gentleman who was just watching the game. Of course security did nothing about this. Just wonder where Danny's morals are. oh , thats right he has none.

Posted by: susan1722 | October 27, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The censorship is horrible, disgusting and disgraceful. Just another example of Snyder not being able to face the truth, so he instead attempts to silence those who speak their feelings. It's ironic, though, that no one has ever approached me when I wore a "Dallas Sucks" or "Giants Suck" t-shirt in the stadium and they're certainly easy to buy in the parking lot. So I guess it's ok to show disrespect to another NFL franchise. (Full disclosure: I was asked to turn a t-shirt inside out that included profanity aimed at T. Owens).

Posted by: jschwartz1 | October 27, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to see the Redskins play in the Super Bowl for as long as Dan Snyder owns the team.

Hey if Snyder wont' allow signs at FedEx, no reason why you can't display them in public, or on private friendly property. Wear your shirts to parties, on Halloween, to work if you can. To dinner--you may get a free meal!

Get the message spread around town, since he's unwilling to listen to it or see it at his venue.

I don't know if Snyder is getting bad advice, or it's just a coincidence that he sues ticket holders, and treats them this way at the stadium.

If security keeps this policy, someday they'll pick on the wrong lawyer and find a lawsuit filed.

Posted by: TheCork | October 27, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Redskins fans (and Nationals, Wizards, and Capitols fans too)...You can do what I did - move to New England where you can join "A Nation" and root for teams that win (or at least give an honest try for your money and team loyalty) like the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, and TaDa the Patriots...

Posted by: DuffyD | October 27, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone say "Napoleon Complex"???

Posted by: nairb53 | October 27, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

If they are now forcing fans to turn their t-shirts inside out I hope someone starts making dual sided Ts.

Fire Vinny on the outside. Fire Danny on the inside.

Posted by: FireVinny | October 27, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Buy your fire the danny shirts at www.firethedanny.com. Also post on the discussion board and participate.

Posted by: nigt | October 27, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

like he said before:

Just
Stop
Going

why take that kind of abuse? let's show Snyder what a half-empty stadium looks like.

the more you go, the more you get the same pathetic excuse of a team from a rich uncaring tyrant who sits counting your money as you complain about the team from your season ticket seats. sorry, but you homers are prolonging the misery.

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 28, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Lil Nero is fiddling while FedEx burns. Right now he is like a scared cat backed into a corner. There is no way he is coming out without a fight. That he and the management won't talk confirm this. Like said, the only thing that will get his attention is $$$ or more precisely lack there of. I'm swearing off buying any 'Skins gear, and I think if I had season tickets, I'd be wearing all black and don't buy anything.

Posted by: FISHHEAD1 | October 28, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree with nearly all of you. I will probably cancell my season tickets next year. (Donate unused tickets to Redskins Replay and take a charitable deduction) I never buy anything at Fedex Field, too expensive anyway. Hit old Dan in the pocketbook and he may take notice. If the Redskins start losing money, maybe he will sell. If all cancell their tickets and boycott anything Redskin/Snyder, maybe we can get a new owner. I began with the Redskins at old Griffith Stadium, but plan to now cancell my tickets. I hope you all will join me.

Posted by: classof53 | October 28, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey, does this suprise anyone? How about a new word for the DC area "DANGELOS".
It means an owner with deep pockets only interested in lining them furhter. What it does not mean???---- WINNER!!

Posted by: josephbro | October 29, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I cancelled my season tickets several years ago when little Napoleon charged $10 FOR PARKING AT THE PRATICE FACILITY. I was ahead of my time in recognizing a greedy no account Bas ard. Season ticket holder for 42 years-member redskin Band 11 years and have attended all 5 Skins super Bowls. I cannot understand how the NFL would not step in and reprimand Snyder for stepping on freedom of expression on the sign and shirt issues? But one thing you can all do is stop going to see an inferior product that Snyder puts on the field. All season ticket holders should not go to the remainder of the games this year and do not renew your tickets for next year.Money talks and if it stops coming in Snyder will walk.If you love the Skins you are going to have to use tough love--its going to hurt but in order to get rid of Snyder the only option is BOYCOTT. He is not about to change his ways, he is holding our team hostage. The only way we can fight back is CUT OFF THE MONEY.BOYCOTT. not next year by not renewing tickets but right NOW. Then don't renew your tickets next year. Begin the BOYCOTT next game. Don't where Black don't where shirts stay the frig home. That will show Little Napoleon we have had enough of his crap and we Ain't going to take it anymore.

I myself have season tickets to the Capitals and travel from Berlin Md. to all the games. I WOULDN'T WALK AROUND THE BLOCK TO SEE A SKINS GAME OR GO IF SOMEONE GAVE ME A FREE TICKET.In 1952 I got Sammy Baugh's autograph he must be rolling over in his grave knowing what Snyder has done to a once proud franchise And George Preston Marshall would take back "HAIL TO THE REDSKINS" It should no longer be played or if it is it should be played as a dirge and slowly.

Snyder. You have killed the spirit. WE have only our fond memories.How sad that this little man could destroy the spirit of Proud Redskins fans--HOW SAD

Posted by: duckyjimpond | October 29, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Fans, if Snyder doesn't make changes, and I mean big ones and now, "Why would you want to be at the games?" I say boycott FedEx, and not only the stadium, that should put a squeeze on Danny Boy. I'm not sure what "brown" has done for me, but I know what "Red(skins)" hasn't done!

Posted by: josephbro | October 29, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

This has got to be the bunch of crap that I've ever heard, all of a sudden management is concerned with someone getting by the signs, c'mon. Anybody with any sense knows that this is a measure to stop with the negative signs about the Redskins. The fans are upset with this team and with this owner, and as far as I see it without these fans you dont have a football team. There is nothing wrong with the fans voicing their opinion. If I were these fans I would start boycotting the games and show the owner just who is boss, because without you fans, none of this is possible.

Posted by: CENTRALRECORDS | October 29, 2009 2:45 AM | Report abuse