Burgundy Revolution: Eagles Gameday

I went to Las Vegas for the weekend. I didn't think about the Redskins hardly at all. In fact, I'm still in Las Vegas as I type this, and yet, I understand that the world has been ripped out under my feet since I left.

Here is Redskins general counsel David Donovan, describing the team's fan base in Sunday's Washington Post.

"I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years," Donovan said. "But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference."

You know, if it was printed in The Washington Post, it must be true, but this is possibly the most ludicrous quote I've ever read in my life.

Ok, I'll take that back. If "behavior" is defined as "having paid for season tickets last Spring," I'm buying. If, however, behavior includes creating Web sites, posting Internet comments, wearing t-shirts, talking to friends, talking to colleagues, talking to lovers, talking to strangers on the street, or randomly walking around the greater FedEx Field vicinity screaming invective about the franchise, then I'm gonna have to disagree. The way the team's actual fans are behaving is, in fact, different this year than in past year's.

Like, a lot different.

Anyhow, these are things I meant to link to before I came here, but then I got distracted. I'll definitely go to the Eagles-Redskins game, and I'll do so with as open a mind as I can muster, attempting to figure out if the behavior is actually a figment of my imagination.

* Some Redskins fans are raising money to try to buy banner ads on Metro buses reading "Sell OUR Team Danny Boy." They've already gotten $583 committed. See here.

* This PhotoShop of the iconic image from Lost feels sort of angry to me.

* Here's an article from Business Management Daily called "Learning What Not to Do From the Leadership of the Washington Redskins." Don't click on it, because there are all these ads for Business Management Daily, but still.

* Rick Snider from The Examiner, who's been around this team as long as just about any working local media member, thinks the unrest will be temporarily soothed by some offseason magic.

Come January, a new coach and front office will have Snyder saying he's learned once more (the man has learned so many times that the college dropout should be given an honorary Ph.D.) A top-five pick and heavy free agent spending will again trick Redskins fans into believing things might be getting better. And in two years, the pitchforks and torches will return. They always do.

* There's this ad on Craigslist:

I have a modest proposal. It must be very painful to be a Redskins fan right now. I'm here to help. Until moving to D.C. recently, I never lived near an NFL city, so I've never attended an NFL game in person. So I'm willing to take your ticket to tonight's game if you also pay me $50 to cover gas and parking expenses.

* @DCBorn61 posts this image of the license plate he saw on his way to work today.

* You can buy Jim Zorn's signed hand; see First Cuts.

* A list of the Top 100 Embarrassments of the Daniel Snyder administration, at Jerry's Wheelhouse.

* Dark comic of the Revolution Danny Rouhier sums up the smooth playcalling machine in his latest video. It's funny.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 26, 2009; 10:12 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dexter Manley remains optimistic
Next: Albert Haynesworth on E:60

Comments

Ugh. The relentless lying by Redskins reps gets me down. If my years of watching actors playing therapists on TV have taught me anything, it's that the first step to solving your problem...is admitting that you have a problem.

Posted by: hubcap | October 26, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

OK, I laughed at the Craigslist Ad. I don't know if that's original or not, but it's the first I've ever seen of that.

RE: Rick Snider, we all know there is going to be a new HC. A new "Front Office" means nothing unless it involves getting rid of Bug-Eyes. A Top 5 draft pick will be good, but any fan who is soothed by "heavy free agent spending" gets a personal crotchpunch from me. Heavy free agent spending is a large part of what got us here in the first place. If there are still people out there who don't grasp that, then there is nothing that can be done for them.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 26, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

For crying out loud Dan, the (Com)Post went out before the regular season started and wrote a complete and total hack piece on the team.

A piece so bad that your colleagues in the print media aren't touching it. The only real media members currently using it is sports talk radio.

And you're surprised that they're blaming your publication for the venom being spewed at them???

And BTW, we checked with the family lawyer and found that the Redskins are REQUIRED under the law to attempt to mitigate the damages incurred by the people who reneged on their contracts. That means the Redskins were FORCED to RESELL THE TICKETS they were suing people over.

And yes, they have to apply those proceeds against the judgements they are seeking against the people who failed to live up to their end of the contract.

But your paper didn't feel the need to include that in their articles.

Nope, you want us to be angry because the Redskins were suing a THEIF who got caught and couldn't use THE MONEY HE WAS STEALING to pay for his tickets anymore.

Posted by: CapsNut | October 26, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

David Donovan, you sir are an idiot, (well I cannot prove that and don't want to be sued for liable or slander). So let me rephrase. You sir have in my humble estimation a highly questionable amount of intellectual capacity with regard to your ability to speak words to the public in a way in which they might believe you.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Dude, why are you wasting your family layers time to find out about what the skins are doing?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 26, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, this is incredibly lame. It's hard to know ifthis is just externally focused spin or if this is the sentiment throughout the organization, all the way to Snyder. At some point Snyder is going to have to find out what is really happening among the fan base regarding this season, regardless of spin.

Blaming the media will not fill the seats at Fedex field; winning will. It really can be as simple as that, but something tells me Snyder is going to listen to the PR spin and Ashburn yes-people for awhile longer.

But hey, after alienating fans (and losing money at the gate) for many years, even the Orioles' owner Peter Angelos eventually got out of the way, hired a respected baseball mind to run the organization, and is sticking by the GM's decisions so far. If Angelos can do it, Snyder can too. It just might take really losing a lot of money at the gate first is all.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 26, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

typical redskins response. dont accept critisizm, blame it on someone else. or go into denial. it's laughable and so junior high school. if the post did slaughter pieces on the skins every week, it wouldnt make a bit of difference if the skins were winning and were showing improvement.

this is why i hold out no hope of change in the front office. they give no outward appearance that they accept one ounce of blame for the state of this franchise. everyone is their enemy and it's always someone else's fault. sad sad sad.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 26, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"Game attendance is still far surpassing that at any other stadium in the league, he said"

That's just a straight up lie...

1 Dallas AVG 92,410
2 Washington AVG 84,588

Posted by: Kev29 | October 26, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

it's a shame, it really is. tonight should be very interesting, but I think the skins keep it very close

Posted by: jpfterps | October 26, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

CapsNut (whom I suspect is Vinny, since he says he reads this): Your comment "A piece so bad that your colleagues in the print media aren't touching it" is not accurate. Several media outlets (print and TV also) have noted them suing fans--often using the "suing a grandma" hook.

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 26, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

For a FO that claims not to care about media coverage, they sure know everything that's been said about them.

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 26, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The fact that the Redskins front office lies as wantonly as they do is bad enough, but what hurts most is that they're such obvious lies.

Posted by: Andymr | October 26, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse