Cerrato Discusses the Offensive Line

I happened to be listening to ESPN 980's pre-game show on my way to FedEx Field Sunday morning, and Vinny Cerrato came on for a pre-game interview with Larry Michael. Now, we all know that the focal point of fan distress over this team's personnel has overwhelmingly focused on the offensive line, and Michael was unusually pointed when questioning Cerrato about his handiwork.

"Vinny you catch a lot [of heat] over the weeks in terms of the roster, where this team is," Michael began. "But take a look at the offensive line, this has your stamp on it today. You've got Mike Williams, a project that YOU picked up as the guy making the decisions on the team, he's the right tackle. Stephon Heyer is to the left. Will Montgomery, another Vinny Cerrato guy. Derrick Dockery, you brought him in this year. So this offensive line today has your stamp on it, doesn't it?"

"Yeah," Cerrato agreed, his voice literally cracking. "Well, it did with Chris Samuels in it, too. I mean, the same, you know, last week, Mike Williams was playing right guard, and Heyer was playing right tackle, and Samuels was playing left tackle, so that did too. So, you know, I don't see what that really matters, Larry."

[Trust me, it does. - ed.]

"Are these guys, however, better suited for these positions today, with Mike out there and Stephon at the left side?" Michael followed up.

"I think Stephon is more natural at left tackle, and Mike's always been a right tackle, but he didn't play bad at right guard," Cerrato answered. "So you know, I think that, yeah, I think they'll play well today."

This made no sense to me at 11:30 in the morning, and it makes no sense to me now, but there's really nothing left to say any more. Rarely are the media jackals this completely right. I've never played a down of real football in my life, and yet in August, I--like everyone else--was saying that this offensive line was one or two injuries away from disaster.

Against the 32nd ranked NFL defense--a team that had been allowing 27.6 points and 402.8 yards a game, we saw what disaster looked like. It looked like a cold, wet, smashed hot dog bun that's been run over by a Hummer, stomped on by a marching band, doused with lighter fluid and then smeared onto the side of a porta-potty.

Incidentally, the offensive line also came up earlier during the pre-game show.

"Sonny, the offensive line, we saw it coming in the preseason," Kevin Sheehan said to Sonny Jurgensen. "We talked about it in the preseason, that if it didn't stay healthy it was gonna be in trouble. How much trouble are they in right now?"

"They're in trouble," Jurgensen said. "They didn't address it. They did NOT address the problem during the offseason, and they had to. I was talking to a general manager earlier in the year, and he said, 'The one thing that we went into the season wanting, we wanted TWO offensive lines. We wanted to make sure we had enough linemen, if people went down, you could plug in and be able to continue to play.' "

Imagine that. A few more nuggets from Cerrato's appearance.

On the second-year receivers: "I think you'd like more production. But I think that they're making progress. And what they need is, they need to gain confidence. And if you catch balls early in the game, I think you gain confidence. And when you have confidence, I think then it just carries over. You have a carryover factor. So I think if they can get going early, just like any receiver, they get going early, I think then they become a huge factor in the game."

[Those guys combined for 1 catch for 12 yards, and 1 carry for 2 yards. For the season, they've combined for 144 receiving yards, two yards more than Eagles rookie Jeremy Maclin had last week. Guess Maclin has more confidence.]

On the offense: "The key is to score points....We've got to score more points."

[Against some of the NFL's worst teams, the Skins scored 40 points in their first three games, and 39 points in their next three games. The Saints have scored at least 45 points three separate times in their first five games. The Patriots scored 45 points in one half on Sunday.]

On Chris Samuels: "I think he's, uh, you know, doing fine, you know. It's just a mental thing, that, you know, he's got to feel better mentally, you know, I think. And, you know, it just takes a little bit of a time."

[A stinger for a guy with a history of spine problems is a mental thing? Really? Well, whatever.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 18, 2009; 6:02 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Anonymous, The Video
Next: Scenes From the Burgundy Revolution: Chiefs

Comments

I have never seen anybody in the NFL either as completely clueless or dishonest as Vinny Cerrato.

Now that Sam and Sonny have completely bailed on this coaching staff and front office, I wonder how long until they mysteriously decide to "retire"?

Bobby Bethard, blind drunk at 3 a.m. could make a better draft pick and signing than Vinny Cerrato ever has on his best day. There were 2 OL signed by other NFL teams this week. None of them were even worked out by the Redskins. Instead we get Heyer and Mike Williams.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | October 18, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow

Posted by: theredskin | October 18, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

uh, well, i think vinny cerrato is, you know, delusional.

Posted by: grizneta | October 18, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Listening to Cerrato, I almost get the feeling that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 18, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

What is the definition of crazy? Doing the same thin over and over and expecting a different result? Please reserve a seat on the Rubber Train on the way out of town for Vinny! I am beginning to feel sorry for Zorn as he has remained classy as everything is falling down around him. (Don't get me wrong, he will be gone too, shortly) How many ways do we suck? Let me count the ways!! ( I almost fell over when I heard Larry Michael, the chief Redskin shill, ask a tough question!)

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 18, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty shocked at LM's line of questioning. It sounds like he was trying to hold Vinny accountable. A very foreign concept in Redskinland.

Also, didn't Charley Casserly draft Chris Samuels?

Posted by: notclintonportis | October 18, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

The worst part about Cerrato,

(Yes I'll let the hyperbole of that statement sit in)

The worst part about Cerrato is his tendency to make excuses for all of his mistakes while at the same time pretending that they don't exist.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 18, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

This team is the laughingstock of the NFL. I thought that when the CBS feed went out in the second half that some exec was trying to spare us the pain of having to suffer through another miserable performance. Jim Zorn never should have been put in such a terrible situation in the first place, but Vinny takes the incompetence cake. How this man has held on to his job continues to amaze me. It could be worse though... we could have Matt Millen... Well, on second though, that would be six of one, half dozen of another.

Posted by: StabbeDabbe | October 18, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@notclintonportis

I think we'll find Larry's been sent to a "reeducation" camp this week.

Cindy Boren on Twitter seemed a bit worried @thesportsbog had been kidnapped by King Snyder's goons during the game. After this entry Dan, I'd be watching your back this week and if you see any black vans following you...RUN!

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | October 18, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"It's a professional level of incompetence that allows one to keep a job they are not qualified for, for over 10 years

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 18, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse "

Actually, I'm pretty sure sharing intimate sauna/steam room time and offering all forms of massage relief for the team's owner is what allows an incompetent stooge like Cerrato to keep a job for ten years. Though his spin-doctoring on behalf of his no-account boss helps, for sure.

Posted by: ThisGuy | October 18, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, CheesyB. Good post.

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 18, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Lions loss was the low-point, but losing at home to KC is even lower.

Expect 75% eagle fans next Monday night. And Zorn to be fired next Tuesday morning.

Posted by: jpfterps | October 18, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael might find himself sitting next to Frank Herzog

Posted by: heathdog1119 | October 18, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

His comments about Chris Samuels are so far over the line it's beyond words. He essentially said that Samuels didn't have enough guts to play today.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 18, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/disgruntledfan, Vinny's comments about Chris Samuels were totally unprofessional and way over the line. But, I think it is par for the course with Cerrato. He must have pictures of Snyder or something!

Posted by: spinstercity | October 18, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Blow it up, there is not a worse team in Pro football than the Redskins. Because as every Redskin fan knows, a team is only as good as it's offensive line. This team was woefully deficient on the O-line following last year. Derrick Dockery was the only legitimate move to address it. Now we get to see our beloved team embarassed on National television on Monday night next week. The defense is good enough to win with, but the offense is wafer thin up front.

I am loathe to declare a 4 win season would be about what I would expect in the present circumstance. How they are going to win 2 more games? I havn't a clue. Nor do the Redskins.

Posted by: damjammer | October 18, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

This is PAINFUL! I mean PAIN FULL! Still love my Skins but this is embarrassing! We are the laughingstock of the NFL! I can imagine Jack Kent Cook rolling over in his grave. Bob Beathard & Joe Gibbs are hard pressed to keep mum. Snyder thinks this is fantacy football. He thinks He can buy the superbowl with underachievers or big names that are way past their prime. Even players come here because they no they'll get paid and sucker snyder's lust for attracting fans with their once famous name. Vinny is a joke! When will Snyder fire him and get a real GM and leave football to him. He needs to just market the team which He does well then let the football savy GM build a continued playoff team. He needs to look again,if any one is listening, at the NY, Indy,Philly, N.E., Baltl, or Pitts. Surely they have up and coming GM's. We the fans are helpless unless Snyder sells the team to owners who care or get it or He drops his ego and get a GM who will put a consistent playoff team through the draft and free-agency on the field. We need a great evaluator of talent. We blow it in the draft; while other teams trade up or down for quality picks. Vinny it starts with the O-Line and D-line and work back

Posted by: anointedebony | October 18, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

When you've lost Larry Michael, you've lost Redskins Nation.

(Speaking of Redskins Nation, watching Larry Michael last Monday being down on the team and labeling the show a "Reality Check Monday" was strange enough. I can't imagine how the show will be after this loss...)

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 18, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Where's Barno? I'm dying to hear how he spins this one.

Posted by: jochpo | October 18, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

All redskin fans, plus most football fans in the country know how stupid the Vinny brain is..when it comes to real ideas, and actual speech. Makes one miss George W. Except for the Italian thing, I MIGHT GUESS THEY WERE AT LEAST KISSING COUSINS.
This team has to be dismantled..and built through the draft. That will take probably 3 years. I think the fans will be patient if they see something positive happening..but first VINNY NEEDS TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY.
Zorn is over matched. He is way too inexperienced to be head coach, offensive play caller, and QB coach. I doubt if many coaches in the history of the modern NFL.. andI mean winners..could do those 3 jobs.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | October 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Huh? I thought Vinny was a moron, now I wonder if he is delusional and off his meds. Spinal stenosis is a "mental thing"???

Posted by: mdflorals | October 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Man Cerrato must really be bending over Snyder, and LOTS for him to still have a job in Washington.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 18, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I meant "for Snyder" but it works both ways I guess.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 18, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

EARTH TO DANNY BOY, I'M SORRY MR. SYNDER......PLEASE FIRE VINNY!!!! SAVE US ALL, SAVE YOUR INVESTMENT, WE ALL KNOW MONEY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU...DID YOU SEE HOW MANY OPEN SEATS YOU HAD THIS WEEK? IT'S BECAUSE OF VINNY, THE JANITOR COULD PICK A BETTER ROSTER...CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MANY EMPTY SEATS YOU WILL HAVE DEC 21ST FOR THE GIANTS WHEN WERE 2-14?

Posted by: lhankins8 | October 18, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Vinny, There is no offensive line,just a bunch of untalented misfits. Theres a great series of comments on profootball talk by a person named cadillac 5773 you should read them. It,s under Zorn ducks questions about job security. You guys are circling the drain,wake up before its to late.

Posted by: chulaivet65 | October 18, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

WORST TEAM IN THE NFL...

thank you very much cerrato, this DEFINITELY has your "stamp" on it. get lost.

sell the team synder, find another pet project to screw up.

sincerely,
a *former* 'skins fan for life

Posted by: bacaje | October 18, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Who is more illiterate?

Cerrato []

Portis []

Posted by: lp_lodestar | October 18, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Where's Barno? I'm dying to hear how he spins this one.

Posted by: jochpo | October 18, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

No spin. I was about as wrong as someone can be.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 18, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Unbelievable! The incompetancy & "duh-ness" from this lame-o are absolutely incredible. Folks...this is the man making the decisions on player personnel...incredible. People still question why we are a team this bad...HERE is your reason why.

Posted by: james51 | October 18, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is despicable, reprehensible and utterly arrogant. Apperarantly no one can speak to him unless he speaks to you first? He is a laughing stock of NFL and he is too dumb to know it. Well, no one will speak to him first so he will never know, will he? I guess running the team like an arrogant prick is more important than winning and being respected.

Posted by: redskinfan4life1 | October 18, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I would pay every penny I have to kick Vinny Cerrato square in the testicles as hard as I can.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Vinnidiot will be gone soon enough unless the litle Napoleon decides his mancrush on Vinnie outweighs reality. After all, a yes man who tells you what you want to hear while agreeing with all your unrealistic and naive ideas is very sexy

Posted by: Tigerdan | October 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Right on comments.....this is the most pathetic team/ownership, EVER. Born and raised in Md, weened on 'Skins, now in Vegas...THE WORST bunch, ever!

Posted by: aginsburg | October 18, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I just want to send a message out to Barno1, who's tried his best to remain level headed and optimistic throughout this ongoing ordeal. I didn't necessarily agree with all of your assessments, but I understood and I really feel for ya man. Much respect for your mea culpa of sorts even though you didn't need to. We all feel the pain.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 18, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | October 18, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla:

You think he doesn't know what he is doing?

Posted by: noups | October 18, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Folks:

Cerrato is not going anywhere. Did you hear the report on Comcast Post Game Live. Rumor has it the "Terrible Enfants" are looking for a coach who will allow them to make all personnel decisions.

This mess will not improve any time soon. Here's hoping that Leonis will buy the Redskins. At least he was humble enough to recognize that he needed to tear down the capitals to get better.

Posted by: noups | October 18, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

as long as Dan Snyder permits himself the latitude of making the personnel decisions for the football team, that's how long the Redskins on-the-field product is going to be inept.

Posted by: shotfromthepoint | October 18, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

If I am Jim Zorn, I am hoping to be be fired at this point because he does not deserve to have to endure this crap anymore. Zorn never came here to be the head coach and he got stuck in the job because other men were smart enough to know what Snyder was all about.

And how much must Gregg Williams be enjoying being in New Orleans. Here's hoping the Saints win the Super Bowl and he tells Snyder what he really thinks of him on national television. Snyder deservs to be humiliated a thousand tims over.

Posted by: noups | October 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

This is the moron that our moronic owner listens too? pretty much explains it all.

Posted by: bethrob0244 | October 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Due to the no cap year I think this would be a good time for Snyder to blow this team up. But he needs to get a true football mind GM and a coach first and come up with a strategy to get us back in three years to a solid level. C'mon SNYDER you suck as a GM. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 18, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

For God's sake - FIRE THE MAN! Vinny, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Dan - would be best for the community if you just sold the team (or moved it to LA so we could get an expansion franchise). But for God's sake, could you just hire a GM and get out of the way? THE CASH COW IS DEAD. YOU CAN'T HAVE OUR MONEY ANYMORE. YOUR EMPLOYEES IN THE REDSKIN STORE ARE TALKING TRASH ABOUT YOU! SONNY ISN'T ON YOUR SIDE ANY MORE. YOUR OWN BLOGGER ON REDSKIN.COM CAN'T LIE ANYMORE. IT'S JUST YOU, VINNY, and LARRY MICHAEL - and EVEN LARRY MAY BE ABOUT TO TURN!!!!

Posted by: jburnetti | October 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is a clown. Danny's buttboy - nothing more. He's not even conversant in NFL football. The face of a once great franchise now rotting in the sewers.

Posted by: AWWNats | October 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is the type of dullard hired by insecure autocrats. No original thought, just do what the boss says. It's astounding someone this inarticulate has such a position in an $800M organization. He is a measure of Snyder's inadequacies as a person and a businessman.

Posted by: SackMan | October 18, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

"The key is to score points." Really, Vinnie? You must be some kind of genius!!! It never occurred to me that scoring points is necessary to win a game! Wow, what wisdom!!!

Posted by: cakehydrant | October 18, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

The BIG problem is Little Danny Snyder has a really TINY p_ _ _ s.

Posted by: nativedc | October 18, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 18, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks bro.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 18, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato just isn't a good GM. For every good decision there five bad ones. In his tenure we've overpaid again again for guys who don't get it done. Vinny is not able to assess talent before it blooms. He can only overpay for yesterday's stars. This is a formula that doesn't work. We need to get back to old school football in DC. NYGs are kicking our ass with old school. Philly too. This has to end or snyder will lose his fanbase.

Posted by: mattfromsomd | October 18, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is a butt clown that is playing fantasy football with a NFL team.....

Posted by: regis429 | October 18, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Wiseguy,
I am no Jack Kennedy, yet last spring during the draft I am hoping the acquire a substantial offensive linemen or trade their pick to a team that will give up a quality offensive linemen and they could then sign quality offensive linemen free agents. That did not happen and the Skins must now rid themselves of Lapdog Sock Puppet Cerrato before next years draft, hire a quality GM that in 3-4 years may tranform this team into a contender once again. Also shelve Collins and Campbell and put in the sidewinder and find Chase Daniels. Look at the many teams that have taken a chance at starting rookie quarterbacks and had reasonably good success.

Posted by: jamesjiven55gmailcom | October 18, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's two top goons meet up for their weekly lovefest. But Larry pulls the rug out from beneath Vinny! Wow!

Face it, Snyder: Cerrato wouldn't even cut it as a coffee boy in the Patriots, Giants, Ravens, Vikings, Packers, or Steelers organizations. But you've entrusted him to run your Six Flags carnival of a football team for the past decade?

Snyder, are you literally the stupidest multimillionaire on the planet?

Fire Vinny!!! Get a real GM in here that won't let you meddle like a fantasy football player.

And if you won't do that, SELL THE TEAM!! Nothing could make Washington happier.

Posted by: drischord | October 18, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Did I not tell you that they would lose to the Cheifs?

Posted by: edr04 | October 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

If I could pick one guy in D.C. to place aboard the Space Shuttle and send up to live on the International Space Station ... indefinitely ... it would be Vinny Cerrato. I wish him well personally, but he just needs to find something that he's good at in life and do that for a living. Being an executive in the NFL just isn't it. A low-level scout? Maybe. A sports media talking head? Sure. Why not have one more of those guys. But someone who actually makes decisions? It's not just an outrage. It's scary. I'm a lifelong Skins fan and yet if I were Commissionner Goodell, I would strongly consider bumping the Skins from every prime-time appearance indefinitely until the current regime is completely cleaned out. The organization is a joke.

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | October 18, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

WHY DO PEOPLE TAKE LISTEN TO WHAT VINNY SAY?
HE'S AN IDOIT, IF YOU DON'T KNOW THAT BY NOW YOUR PROBLEY ONE TOO.
WHY ARE YOU LISTENING TO ANYTHING REDSKINS?

TRUTH IS SAMUEL SHOULD HAVE BEEN GONE TWO YEARS AGO HE AND JANSEN, THE TEAM COULD HAVE GOTTEN SOMETHING FOR THEM AND BROUGHT IN SOME YOUNGER GUYS BY NOW.

THIS GUY VINNY IS NOT A A GM!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | October 18, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Did I not tell you that they would lose to the Cheifs?

Posted by: edr04 | October 18, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah good call.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 18, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I still can't believe that Larry Michael isn't letting Vinny and co. off the hook anymore. If Mr. Redskins Homer himself is getting frustrated, then things must be really bad.

Posted by: Andymr | October 19, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Talk about keeping your head in a hole in the ground.. this guy is totally clueless!!!!!!!!! We are doomed for the foreseeable future!

Posted by: uhp82 | October 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse