Cerrato on the Circling Vultures

Have the D.C. sports media been negative toward the Redskins this season? Sure, I have no problem admitting that. The offense is abysmal, the opponents have been tender trembling tiramusu, the upcoming schedule is brutal, the coach seems confused, the front office won't endorse him, fans are furious and the media are riding that wave.

But, being completely honest, I do understand why some in Ashburn are frustrated with the pounding drum beat of media negativity, and I've used the vulture metaphor myself. Here's what Vinny Cerrato had to say about the media during his ESPN 980 radio show Friday morning.

A journalist interviewing a player will "take one little sentence out that he's looking for for that story, and all of the sudden that's a headline," Cerrato said. "And you go ask the players and say, 'What was that comment?' and they said, 'That was like my last sentence, and it's not how I meant it.' But that is kind of the way things are in the media right now. So that's why when you lose, that's kind of the temperament of the media and that's the angle that they're looking for.

"When you're winning, if you're 4-1, they're looking for feel-good stories. Now, it's like the vultures, they're circling, and they're waiting for the dead body. I mean, that's what it feels like here, just like Kill Kill Kill is what it feels like. And, I mean, we're frustrated, because you lost a game that you were winning 17-2, you lost to Detroit. I mean, absolutely you're frustrated, and you feel it. Like we talked about, what cures that? Is to go out Sunday and play a good game, score points, feel good about it, and then you come back in, it's a whole different attitude the following week."

Most of this, I don't actually disagree with. Media members do indeed search for feel-good stories about 4-1 teams, and focus on the negativity with teams that can't score and get booed off their home field. I do think most media members have gone out of their way to include miles of context around every negative quote, but if Cerrato feels otherwise, that's fine.

Just so we don't have any concerns on that matter, I will quote his opening statement virtually in full right now. If you don't like negativity, just ignore the italicized comments.

"You know what, it's as ugly a day as the finish of that game was last Sunday," he opened with.

Get ready for a cold dash of harsh honesty.

"Let's get to that," co-host Frank Hanrahan said. "Overall, your thoughts on that Carolina loss."

"I thought this," Cerrato said. "I thought defensively, I thought we played, I thought we played well. I think this, I think they played hard, I think they came out with emotion, with passion and toughness. I thought we played very physical.

But what do you think?

"I mean, the first play of the game we get a fumble. Albert disrupts everything and recovers a fumble and the offense gets the ball on I think it was the 12-yard line. And their third-down conversion was horrible, Carolina's. So I think, the first three games we talked about at this time on the show here that the defense, we needed to get better on third down, and we corrected that. The last two games I think they've been in the 20 percent on third down or less. I think Tampa made 2 of something, and Carolina was similar, so I think they've corrected that and I think they played well.

Yup, just like I expected, harsh honesty.

"They basically scored 14 points, the defense, so they did a good job. DeAngelo's interception was good. I thought the D line played well. Their run game was a thing that we had talked about that we had to stop, they had an outstanding offensive line, a good run game. I think they had 74 yards, averaged 2.7 a carry.

They did indeed average 2.7 yards a carry, but they actually had 86 yards rushing. It was your team that had 74.

"So they stepped up, and to do that, you've got to play good fundamental, you've got to play sound, base, fundamental defense and they did that. So give the defense a lot of credit, give the coaches credit, give the players credit for playing a sound, fundamental game, because you've got to. And the linebackers had to play well to fill the gaps.

Hail! Imagine what he'd say if his team had won?

"And the special teams, other than a couple plays...The kick return hurt, after DeAngelo's interception and touchdown, we go up 17-2, then they get the ball back to the 40. And then on the punt play, you know, it is legal. You're allowed to do that. And it happened in the Sunday night game, the Indy-Tennessee game, the same thing happened. You're allowed to push the guy into him....

Agreed. Other than the two plays that absolutely and completely shifted the momentum to the trailing Panthers, the special teams played fine.

"Then let's talk a little bit about the offense. You know, I mean, on the second play, Chris Samuels goes down with a stinger, and the guy that you don't want to lose on the offensive line, the number 1 would be your Pro Bowl left tackle.

Especially if his backup is D'Anthony Batiste.

"And the reason you don't want to lose your Pro Bowl left tackle, because the difference between your Pro Bowl left tackle and WHOEVER has to come in, ANYWHERE in the league, who's replacing a Pro Bowl guy, is not a Pro Bowl guy. So there's a total difference.

Which is why it's hardly even worth worrying about who the backup would be, since there would be a massive dropoff regardless, and since the backup wouldn't be a Pro Bowler, which is why next year's backup left tackle will be either Ray Brown or Balloon Boy.

"And what you do, going into a game, your protection and everything, you always turn it away from Chris. And everybody else gets the help, and Chris is just one-on-one the whole day, so then you've got to shift that, all right?

And since Samuels is so young and has absolutely zero nagging health problems, we just never thought we'd have to make that shift, all right?

"And the other guy that you couldn't afford to lose after Chris is your center. I mean, your center's hard to replace, because he makes all the calls.

And we didn't lose our center, but as long as I'm talking about players we haven't yet lost I'm not talking about the fact that our offense couldn't score even if we had an excavator playing center.

"So then you know, Batiste went in and competed and played hard, and had to do some things to help. And they competed. They played hard. Is it what we wanted? No. But you know, he did his best that he could in there.

If that was the best he can do, some might argue you'd want a slightly better backup in place.

"So what we've got to do offensively though, we've got to get into more of a rhythm. You know, we had some drives, but you've got to take 'em to get points. I mean, we got a 38-yard field goal on one drive, but if we can score more offensively on top of the 14 from the defense, then 17-2 is not even close.

Otherwise, 17-2 is close?

"So that's what we've got to continue to improve upon, and we keep talking about it, we've got to score more points on offense, all right? If the defense can get us 14 and if the offense can get 14, I mean, you know, you've got 28 points.

Agreed.

"So what we've got to do is, we've got to find a way offensively to make more plays. Like you watched the Jets game the other night, that catch Braylon makes? Make some great plays.

The Jets lost.

"Just come up with some great plays. And our guys are capable of doing that, we've just got to do that now, and I think once it happens one time Frank, I think it's like the floodgates are open. But we've got to keep improving upon that and working on that.

KEEP improving?

"I mean, we've got to do that. I mean, because it's been like 14 games now, and I think we're averaging 14.6 points a game, and that is not good. That is NOT good."

Harsh honesty. Told you it was coming.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 16, 2009; 9:24 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More From Theismann, Doc Walker, Matt Bowen
Next: D.C.'s Longest Tenured Athletes

Comments

That guy Vinny, he's a GENIUS!

Posted by: kjhealey | October 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

My brain was desperately trying to commit suicide while reading that.

Posted by: hackeynut | October 16, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

It's not to early for journalists to start asking VC at any opportunity given: "Will you address the OL in next year's offseason?"

Posted by: REXskins | October 16, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's the media. Our front office is working great, it's one of the greatest front office's in history--it's just the media is a little, you know, negative--so don't expect any changes to the front office anytime soon.

Posted by: dhenken1 | October 16, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

any organization with a good reputation would of fired him a long time ago, he is clueless

Posted by: mdoughtie22 | October 16, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

just awesome. mst3k meets the interview.

Posted by: funkey | October 16, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

It seems that Vinny has taken the Snyder route by talking only to handpicked "members of the media". I love how Al Galdi called Hanrahan "Redskins beat reporter". Beat reporter for what? The propaganda machine? That's all Redskins.com is. Ran by Ashburn Larry and his minion Matt Terl, that is the biggest bunch of lies and misdirection I have ever seen.

Thank goodness for the Post and telling it like it is.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 16, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

mofares - why do you guarantee he is an alcoholic? that is pretty irresponsible, even for an anonymous web board...

Posted by: funkey | October 16, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdoughtie22 | October 16, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

clueless is the guy who thinks "would've" is "would of"

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | October 16, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I knew Vinny was stupid, but I did not know he was completely delusional. Now I know.

Posted by: astrober1 | October 16, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty certain that guy is retarded.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | October 16, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

That's almost unreadable. You have to be a sick individual to want to hear that guy talk on a regular basis. I can't believe he is our GM.

Posted by: jsm3 | October 16, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Really unbelievable. If there were some type of CYA Olympics this guy would get 10 golds.

Is this the guff he feeds Snyder? And does Snyder buy it?

Posted by: glynnjp1 | October 16, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dhenken1 - I sure hope the media drafts a couple of o-linemen next year. Clearly our problem is the reporting. If only the media had hired a GM too.

Posted by: jsm3 | October 16, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad one of our team's top level executives can't put together a thought without using "I think" and "you know" every other sentence.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | October 16, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

yeah, the Jets did lose. But also, that was Edwards first game as a Jet. Can we please play Mitchell?!? Kelly and Thomas are DOA.

Posted by: slevs | October 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Is this gut the Tin Man?
Cowardly Lion?
Scarecrow?
or Dorothy?
With Snyder as the Wizard.
This guy and his boss have their head someplace where the sun doesn't shine.
That's the most pitiful excuse for an explanation that I've read yet. The Defense DIDN'T score 14 points! I wish they had and you're not going to get gifts like that on the 12 yard line and the 1 yard line every game. Vinny...your offense has to do something with drives of 80 or 50 or 40 yards....consistently. Any retard who examines the team in the off season and comes to the conclusion that the offensive line was the reason for the collapse last year (and so far this season) should go out and spend some of Fat Albert's $100 Million on capable offensive linemen... not the D'Anthony Batiste's of the world. I'm sick!

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | October 16, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

sweet FJM style Steinz
Just like Drew @ www.kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com does to Peter King's MMQB

Posted by: jonthefisherman | October 16, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

1. We lost the key guy on our offensive line.
2. His sub tried his best, but was outmatched.
3. What we need to do is get into more of a rhythm, and take our drives to get points.

Similar logic:
1. Eighteen of our twenty employees are out with the swine flu.
2. We just brought in 10 temps to take their place.
3. Have that project on my desk at the end of the day!!

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 16, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"what cures that?"

ummm, i don't know, maybe having a competent front office and coaching staff?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 16, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

also, "Just come up with some great plays."

are the players supposed to be designing the playbook now? maybe Campbell can just diagram some pass patterns on the palm of his hand in the huddle. and maybe some more Statue of Liberty and Fumblerooski play calls - now those are great plays.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | October 16, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

George Michael made it clear that Vinny's problem is he's just not a people person... that's probably why he seems to have such a hard time making what I have no doubt are perfectly valid, reasonable points, especially through the lens of transcription up here and when accompanied by the sarcastic comments of Cap'n Bogg.

Also, I do not care for this Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

You reporters at the post are funny. Of course the negative stories sell better because that is what the public wants. But when you are called out on it (Ivan Carter with Etan Thomas, yourself with the Nationals, and others at the post with the Redskins)you get real defensive. Football players are just like us they are people. They can't walk around with a reporter dogging them in print and act like it never happened. That just sounds stupid. No one can do that.......

It's part of the job but don't act like the players have to like it.....

Posted by: punchdaclock | October 16, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

That wide eyed idot can't be serious? No wonder we are so bad with him and synder calling the shots

Posted by: cromag23 | October 16, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I saw a stat last night on CSN, the recent superbowl winner have all selected 7-10 OL in the last ten years of the draft, we have drafted 4. Then I saw our 1981 draft, 2 ol, 2 dl, Mark May, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Dyral Grant. Oh we went to 5 championship games, four superbowls and won 3 superbowls in the next 11 years after that draft. Enough said!!!

Posted by: gatsu | October 16, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Great commentary! Funny as hell!

Cerrato is simply a buffoon. Bet he wishes he hadn't started this "insider" radio show!

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 16, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

gatsu -

AND we got Joe Jacoby as a fre agent that year, Bostic was drafted the year before. EVEN if we found a Joe Jacoby (which unfortunately, Heyer ain't) we would cut him to sign a washed up high-priced FA who would promptly succumb to injury while the guy we found would join a winning team and contribute on a SuperBowl team.

We blew it on Ryan Clark. Adam Archuleta. Ugh.

If you plan on going to an upcoming home game, please take a megaphone and start chanting "Danny sucks" or "Vinny Sucks" prior to kick off and after any bad play during the game. I want to hear you when I'm watching on TV. It starts with the ownership and they have got to hear it directly from you saps dumb enough to pay for this garbage they are trying to pass off as "redskins football."

Posted by: HughGRection | October 16, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

And even with those OL mentioned above we kept drafting OL and even traded for some proven studs (Thielman and later Lachey). And our depth included Ray Brown, Ed Simmons and Raliegh McKenzie- who would've been starters elsewhere.

Make sure Danny and Vinny know that you are booing them and no one else.

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 16, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Those are not real quotes...you forgot the endless "uhs" and "you know"!

Vinny is a tool! How can any reasonable person feel confident in the Skins' management after listening to Vinny the GM's attempt at speaking english? Name one GM as illiterate as Vinny!

BTW, Nice pair of "Wilsons" Hanrahan! Way to ask Vinny about management support for your coach.

What a farce. the whole thing is such a mess. Thanks Danny for ruining the chance to pass on my love of the skins to my kids -- they have no interest in such LOSERS!

Posted by: carter6 | October 16, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I think Vinny is hyped up on some meds... cause nothing he said was of any value and it resembled a feable senior citizen just rambling about life in general...not making any sense. From what I can gather, Vinny believes our O-line is sound, as long as no-one, especially Samuels or Rabach does not get hurt. He thinks that the drop off from a Pro-Bowler to a backup is like comparing the space shuttle to a paper airplane. If you've got a pro-bowler and your QB is still getting hit, shouldn't the backup be at least somewhat competent to take over?

Vinny also wants the defense to score at least 14 points a game so that combined with the offesne (14 points) we get to the magical number of 28! Otherwise, he infers that the offense cannot score more than 14 points!!!

He also said that Tampa and Carolina vastly improved their 3rd down conversions...all against the Skins!! but the defense played GREAT!!! Huh????

Vinny should be put in a home for the football idiocy he spews. I am now convinced he knows NOTHING about football!!

Posted by: skinfannomore | October 16, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The referendum on Snyder is not what he does about Zorn, it's what he does about Vinny. The Vinster comments you posted were about as lame as they come.

If Vinny is still here in 2010, that means Snyder hasn't learned a darn thing. If a real GM is hired instead, one who knows how to build a team, not recruit individual players, then there is hope.

Posted by: hapster | October 16, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

So should we praise this yearly disaster? What exactly should 'Joe the Fan' do? Should we continue paying the outrageous costs for the LameDay Experience at FedEx? Should we continue to wait for 'Dan the Man with No Plan' to FINALLY get it right? You tell us, what should we do?

And let's be clear, there is no unconditional love here; that's been eroded by $nyder and is now seeping into the players calling out fans for voicing their displeasure at the lack of execution. Vulture and Buzzards circle dead meat...Don't be dead meat

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 16, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Vinny, the goal is to be the opposite of Not Good, in case you've been running the ball in the wrong direction.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 16, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many of us that post on these articles would actually welcome someone coming in to our place of business asking us to explain the how, what, when of our jobs. I'm sure most of us barely are "open" to this from our bosses much less a bunch of "know it alls".

Posted by: cmann083@yahoo.com | October 16, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

First step to recovery is admitting the problem!! why are we in such denial!?! I really hope zorn cracks during the presser next monday after the loss to the chiefs. I hope he blows up, comes clean, and says what he's probably been DYING to say. What's he got to lose?

Posted by: WheresMyCoffeee | October 16, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Vinny will never go anywhere !!!!!!! He is Snyders puppet as long as Vinny is here Snyder does not have to accept any criticism bewstowed upon him, regardless of how justfied it may be. Vinny is not picking the players and neither is Zorn Snyder is picking the players. If there were a real GM here he would not be Snyders puppet and would not tolerate Snyders constant nitpicking into the issues regarding the product put onto the field.

For those who believe Snyder is a true fan who has true fans interest at heart, just look at the stadium they play at. A ton of seats horrible view, horrible parking, etc... As long as he is making money this what we will get until fans take a stand we are doomed.

Remember Snyder is not paying these high price low performance players we are. Snyder is not paying for this stadium we are and until we require more bang for our buck we will continue to be the laughing stock of the NFL.

JKC is rolling over in his grave as we speak

Posted by: dagr8dwalo | October 16, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Sick of these idiots....all these games with zero offense you'd think they would change the qb. BUT NO!! We get..We know what were doing and were getting better?? LOAD OF CRAP!!! For better or worse make a freaking change!! This will really be absurd when ZORN gets fired and the next guy replaces JC and looks BRILLIANT!!!! Even more unbelievable is were owned by a Myopic Dumb billionaire

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 16, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Eek, can't we just dump Vinny, and bring in Rush? They are both clowns, but at least one of them is articulate.

Posted by: vik805 | October 16, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The only way this idiot and his short little boss will ever get it is if fans stop showing up and paying their hard earned cash for this sham of a football team. Hit Snyder were it will hurt the most---his wallet. Booing will only make these fools think that you are booing the coach/team not them. PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS GROWN UP WITH THE 'SKINS AND CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE----STOP SHOWING UP FOR THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: upsetfan | October 16, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

PUTZ

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 16, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is Vinny is well respected around the NFL, but here in DC the fans are so blinded by their misplaced hatred of the man they never stop to think that he actually is pretty damn good at evaluating talent. Sure, there's been misses, Archuletta, Lloyd, Taylor, Duckett--but there's been many, many more hits than misses (I've listed them repeatedly here before).

Bottom line is he is here to stay, so deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

barno1- then maybe cerrato should stick with being head scout (so his talent evaluating skills can shine) and leave the general management to someone with an actual plan for implementing that talent in a rational, coherent way that will generate success regularly.

Posted by: bacaje | October 16, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdoughtie22 | October 16, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

clueless is the guy who thinks "would've" is "would of"

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | October 16, 2009 10:18 AM

Clueless is a person sad enough to create a "fake" name 99% similar to mine in the hopes to fool people with that ruse.

Also, really barno, he's well respected around the NFL? if by well respected you mean a laughing stock, than yes most of us agree with you.

But you keep making excuses for Danny and Vinny. You're the perfect fan for them. Peter Angelos would also LOVE to have you as a fan.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS VOW TO TURN SEASON AROUND

In a startling declaration this morning out of Dudskin Park, head psychofant Vinny Tomato vowed the team would start turning their hopeless season around by gaining some control of the press coverage of the Washington Dudskins.

"The first thing we do is revoke all of the media passes for all of these forkin reporters out here," said the team braintrust and main confidante to team owner Dan Snidely. "There's way too much negativity going on here -- and frankly, it's affecting our ability to relax and enjoy the season."

Tomato was apparently channelling the feelings of several players, including special teams captain Mike Sellout, who only last week engaged in a war of words with team head loafer and waste of space Clint Porterhouse over the team's commitment to winning.

For here forward, the team will only issue press credentials to those media who pay a million dollars for a special license to cover the team, sign a loyalty pledge to Mr. Snidely and his minions, and promise to report everything about Dudskins in a positive light.

Meanwhile, Skins quarterback coach Medium Jim Zorno declined to offer a vote of confidence in the new policy -- explaining that he seldom talks with the front office.

When asked whether his weekly "strategy sessions" with Snidely might offer an opportunity for him to have a conversation with the team owner, Zorno responded that they're usually just one-way conversations, and the coach is not allowed to speak unless and until he is asked a direct question by the owner.

And even then, the coach is only allowed to say, "Yeah, Dan, brilliant!"

The new policy goes into effect this Sunday at 1 p.m., when the homestanding Dudskins take to the field against reporters from the Washington Post and DC 106.7 "The Fan" radio.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 16, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Also barno, how bout you cite us all those "hits" in the later rounds of the drafts the past few years..............

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 - Vinny respected around the NFL? By who? When Marty fired him the only job he could get was with espn! You also make the mistake of judging him on individual players he has acquired! You have to judge the results! What have his player acquisitions accomplished? The team hasn't won the division since 1999, two 6th seed wild card appearances, a losing record, and NO SUPERBOWLS! Nice work by Vinny!

Posted by: wbjking | October 16, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

jesus..jesus h what the f was that ? Cerrato needs some Ritalin to focus. Good god i'd pay mucho dinero to watch a reality show involving Danny and Vinny. I could listen to this kind of jibber jabbber all day. Too bad I'm a skins fan. I don't enjoy it as much

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 16, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cmann083@yahoo.com | October 16, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

But this ain't a private business. It's an extremely public business - like EVERY game is televised EVERY week - so by being an NFL "owner" and "GM" Danny and Vinny are willfully allowing their incompentence to be on full public display at any and all times.

BTW - It doesn't take the media to enlighten anyone who knows anything about NFL football where the Redskins' problems lie. Just pay a visit to 92,000 seat DeadEx stadium or tune in on your television on Sunday - the debacle is on public dispaly.

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Barno1
You have lost your mind.

Posted by: hessone | October 16, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line is he is here to stay, so deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 16, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. Vinny and Danny are the laughing stock of the NFL. The only reason other GM's patronize him is to snuker him and Danny on player trades. Vinny and Danny are both viewed as incompetent and many NFL execs have commented on how dysfunctional our front (back) office is.

Ask yourself this Barno; Why did we have to settle for blatantly inexperienced Jim Zorn as a head coach? It was by default, because no other worthy candidate wanted the job. Also, who in the hell ever heard of hiring an offensive coordinator before hiring a head coach? I would think a head coach would surely be afforded the courtesy of bringing in his own handpicked staff, instead of being told..."we'd like to hire you as a coach, but Jim Zorn WILL be your offensive coordinator."

Get real and take off the I love Danny and Vinny blinders. They've ignored the OL and DL for the past 10 drafts - the two most important units in building a dominant, winning franchise. Vinny couldn't find talent in the NFL Hall of Fame. Do yourself a favor and investigate Vinny's history with the 49ers. You may be in for a bit of a disappointment when it comes to the reputation of your cousin Vinny.

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 16, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

cmann083@yahoo.com - Thinks the NATS management is misunderstood too...

Barno1 - Vinny is unemployable outside Skins Park. Then again, Six Flags is hiring...

vik805 - Obvious doobie smoker

LOL

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 16, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who is more illiterate -- Cerrato or Portis.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | October 16, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Baaaaaaarno??????

Where arrrrrrrre you?

Posted by: thediesel | October 16, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Barno has left the building.

Posted by: hessone | October 16, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

GRIEF COUNSELORS AT FEDEX FIELD

FEDEX FIELD, MD -- Anticipating a major outpouring of anger and anguish this Sunday afternoon at FEDEX Field, officials for the Washington Redskins today announced that they have procured the services of several thousand specially trained grief counselors who will be available to help angry and disillusioned fans deal with yet another loss in this lost season for Washington’s favorite football team.

The counselors will available throughout the stadium, and easy to spot by their distinctive black shirts, hats and jackets.

Said a team spokesman, “If you see someone dressed in black, you can be assured that you have found someone who understands your pain and can commiserate with your anger and disappointment.”

In other Redskin news, a team spokesman announced that Sunday will also see the debut of a line of team apparel, including a designer edition paper bag for fans to wear on their heads in shame, and several new maroon and black tee shirts embellished with such witticisms as “FU Dan” and “Fire Zorn.”

The official explained, “If you can’t beat them, join them. Besides, this could be downright lucrative for all concerned.”

Posted by: Vic1 | October 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey barno, if Vinny and Danny are so well respected why did they have to pretty much beg Steve Spagnuoloa to not publicly state that he took his name out of the head coaching candidacy himself because the 2 of them where chumps and it was Steve who didn't even want to work here because of those 2's disfunctional attitudes?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

It would appear as if Vinny was just beating around the bush. Samuels obviously had major health problem at the end of the 2008 season.
The same thing was true of Randy Thomas. The need was apparent for quality replacement players. Vinny simply would not admit the deficiency of his or Snyder's management in the last offseason and earlier. Rineheart was not a good pick either. Consequently an offensive line that could not succeed.

Posted by: fwroy | October 16, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato is the worst. Is all of Redskins management just oblivious to what we as fans see? And all the frustration around the city isn't about just this season, it's about years, and years of mediocrity. Years and years of hope, faith, and disappointment. Snyder better get this fixed, or Redskins Stadium is going to be very quiet in the near future.

Posted by: adman34 | October 16, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I now know what Snyder and Cerrato discuss while watching the games: 1) How the team is one or two players away from being terrific, 2) How the coaching staff just doesn't know how to utilize the talent, 3) how the team is one or two breaks away from being very good, 4) how "if we can just stay healthy" and "implement a game plan that utilizes our talent" the team is a contender, and 5) How if they can keep improving, eventually, the team will be outstanding.

Snyder actually believes what Cerrato is selling and believes the aforementioned conversation. Snyder can't handle people like Williams, Marty, and others coming in and telling him this team has no talent, in the modern NFL they aren't going to stay healthy, and they aren't a break or two away from being good. To state that is to tell Snyder he is wrong and in over his head. When things go wrong, as they are this year, it's easier for Snyder to undermine the coaches to say, "look, they lost the team" as a means of justifying his decisions -- "I gave the coach the tools he needed and he just didn't know how to use them, I'll find someone who will and when we get the right coach for this team, we'll win." What madness... the inmates run the asylum. Instead of the coach making decisions -- hiring and firing players -- the players hire and fire the coach. No organization in sports has ever won in such a circumstance.

Posted by: Matt23185 | October 16, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Rather than cheer for the Redskins at FedEx on Sunday, let's wear purple and get a good "Let's go Caps" cheer going. That'll really stick in Snyder's crawl. He hates the Caps and really hates the Ravens. We're not booing the Redskins, but, certainly, we aren't cheering for them. We aren't being rude or boorish through this to the point of being asked to leave, but we certainly are giving him the middle finger.

Posted by: Matt23185 | October 16, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato does not have clue to what he is doing he is Danny's yes man, and that is the problem with the Redskins

Posted by: gcslav1 | October 16, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bacaje | October 16, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with this. I've never argued that Vinny is a great manager of the salary cap or general planner...I've just said that he has a unique eye for talent and all around the sport of football, people agree with me on this. He helped put together a lot of great 49er teams before he came to DC, don't forget that.

I have no problem with bringing in an experienced GM. I've never said otherwise.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 16, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

From what I can tell Vinnie and Dan are getting exactly what they have served for years. Disrespect.

Posted by: atidwell | October 16, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Actually Barno1 Vinny has never been highly thought of for his talent evaluation. In fact he wasn't kept around SF for that very reason. They viewed him as a "yes man" and a Coat-tail rider.

Cerrato is a moron and had very little hand in building the great 49er teams.

Posted by: keino83 | October 16, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Barno1:
Ihave no problem with this. I've never argued that Vinny is a great manager of the salary cap or general planner...I've just said that he has a unique eye for talent and all around the sport of football, people agree with me on this.

___________________________

I don't think so.

If Vinny had a great eye for talent, he would have drafted DeSean Jackson instead of Devin Thomas or Fred Davis in 2008.

If Vinny ahd a great eye for talent, he would have taken Adrian Peterson instead of LaRon Landry in 2005.

Now imagine the Redskins with THOSE offensive weapons. Okay, daydream over, season over.

Posted by: owiz | October 16, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

vinny actually does have a decent eye for talent...that much isn't at issue.

however, he does NOT have an eye for team needs and how to run a 53-man roster, so when he sees what he believes is a solid prospect (Orakpo), he drafts him without regard for team need (look at the current offense...)

because of vinny's absolute lack of managing the team's selections he always falls back on the same tactic: "we went with the best available"

good teams just don't do that (and as much as it hurts me to say it, look at the eagles or patriots). if the best available doesn't fit your need...TRADE DOWN. this is why vinny is comically under-qualified to be a GM (trades and free agency fall into this same analysis, as well)

Posted by: bacaje | October 16, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

When did Vinnie have the stroke? I did not hear about it. But it is nice to know that Snyder hires the handicapped.

Posted by: hz9604 | October 16, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

hz9604,

I loathe no one more than Vinny C. but YOU are one SICK FUKC for making that comment above.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | October 16, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I have said it before and I will say it now. Vinny is not the GM of the Redskins! He is the vice pres. of football operations! The Redskins will never win anything unless they hire a GENERAL MANAGER!!!!! No team in any sport has ever won anything without a GENERAL MANAGER!!! Vinny SUCKS!!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 16, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: owiz | October 16, 2009 4:54 PM

You can't possibly be serious. This is your case against Vinny as an evaluator of talent? Naming 2 guys that he did not draft that turned out to be pretty good. Well then I guess every GM in the league is an idiot since Tom Brady slipped to the 6th round. I guess every GM in basketball is an idiot since Gilbert Arenas slipped to the 2nd round. I guess every GM in baseball is an idiot since Mike Piazza went in the 62th round!

Wow, some people really just do not think their arguments through before posting.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 16, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

"WR-TE-WR"

Posted by: 4-12 | October 16, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you still never addressed the one posters very good observation:

Posted by: wbjking | October 16, 2009 2:02 PM

If Vinny is such a great front-office guy how come he wasn't immediately scooped up by any of the other 31 NFL teams and instead had to settle working with the likes of Chris Berman?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so Thomas Dimitrof takes over the Falcons in 2008, same time as Gibbs leaves.
Look at the direction of their franchise as compared to theirs.
And they had nothing, nobody, in the wake of Vick's self-destruction and the Bobby Petrino fiasco.In 2008 the Falcons roster would be considered radically inferior to ours in 2008.
But Dimitroff has them back in the playoffs the very next season, and this season too if they keep their form.
We are worse than we were in 2008, having regressed in just a season-and-a-half.
It's not that we are 2-3, it's just everyone sees the direction we have been going in for 10 years, and some are finally smelling what Vinny and the Danny are cooking.

Posted by: minorthread | October 16, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wbjking | October 16, 2009 2:02 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 16, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

I heard a guy call into the Doc Walker show the other day. The caller was knocking Sonny for his comments about Zorn and Campbell, and said if Sonny is so smart about football how come he's never been hired by anyone to be a coach. Doc's response? Who the hell said Sonny WANTS to be a coach?

So Poop and bjking, who the hell said Vinny wanted to go right back into NFL upper management. Maybe he got some offers and the money was better at ESPN. Maybe he wanted some time away from the game. But to presume that simply because he's on ESPN means he wasn't offered an NFL gig is so simple-minded I really don't know how you people don't think through your arguments.

I suppose no one has offered to hire Jimmy Johnson to be a coach, since he's been on tv for years now.

Please. Stop. Commenting.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 16, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Now I've got this HUGE headache! But why are we blaming Vinny? He just does what Snyder tells him. If he wasn't acting GM he'd be Snyder's manservant.
As long as Snyder owns the team and refuses to let a head coach and GM run it the Skins will always lose. Guaranteed.

Posted by: manwray | October 16, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Name one player Vinny/Snyder have drafted in the later rounds who have turned out to be really good. Cooley was a Gibbs pick and if you say Chris Horton I'll reach through this screen and smack you.

Posted by: manwray | October 16, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

That vinny guy is something else.That conversation/interview was so sincere that I truely believe he could sell a blind man a pair of glasses!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | October 16, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joe12341 | October 16, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you are probably right. Vinny probably turned down are bona fide NFL gig so he could answer emails for espn.com. Right. Espn probably paid him $1m. I'm sure every personnel man would rather be doing that. Funny coinsidence that he decided to end his break from football theday after Marty got the ziggy.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

After reading this transcript, the mystery of why Vinny can't forge any relationships has been solved.

Posted by: djorl | October 16, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I seriously think Vinny and Dan snort coke together. Seriously, I think they do. I've known some cocaine addicts in my lifetime and both Vinny and Dan meet all the tell tale signs. They are constantly hiper, overly defensive and constantly in denial. I don't care if Snider sends his minions of lawyers after me - I"VE SAID IT - HE AND VINNY ARE COCAINE ADDICTS. Any respectable league would strip Snyder of his franchise.

Posted by: DMV4LIFE | October 16, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

They let Vinny off easy. They should have told him to his face: "Vinny, you and Fantasy Dan compiled the thinnest, least accomplished offensive line in the league," and then made him respond.

There's only one person left in Washington who thinks Cerrato is a real GM. Unfortunately, that man owns the Redskins.

FIRE VINNY! Replace him with a REAL GM who won't let Snyder play fantasy football with a public trust.

FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!

Posted by: drischord | October 16, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I wont go so far as to say Snyder and Vinny are snorting lines together, but when I listen to Vinny talk he reminds me of Billy Mays. The difference being all the crap Mays peddled is kind of useful, the Skins on the other hand have almost no positives to speak of.

Posted by: The_Spear | October 16, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

The interview of Cerrato is absolutely frightening! This man is a dilusional incompetent. For Mr. Snyder to keep him says a great deal about the current mess and the future. With this managerial team in place, there is absolutely no hope!

Posted by: aafrrf | October 16, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 16, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Did you really just spell coincidence with an "s"? Wow, you're ever dumber than I thought dcsportshater.

Please. Stop. Posting.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 17, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight: Vinny reads something a player says in the paper. Vinny doesn't like it. Vinny demands the player explain himself. Player says, "Hey, Vinny, they took it out of context."

So... when our GM isn't so busy failing to find offensive linemen or babbling nonsensically on his radio show, he's harassing his own players over quotes in the paper?

No wonder no one wants to work in this piss-pot organization.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 17, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS VOW TO TURN SEASON AROUND

And even then, the coach is only allowed to say, "Yeah, Dan, brilliant!"

Posted by: Vic1 | October 17, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Vinny! Vinny! Take your meds and stop impersonating a blog poster. You have a very busy day scheduled. Mr. Snyder needs to see you on the racquetball court, and then later at the hand puppet theater.

Posted by: mw11385 | October 17, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Please. Stop. Posting.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 17, 2009 10:20 AM

You know, deep down, you've lost a debate when all you can do is turn into an internet spell-checker.

Right Barney-the-Clown

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 17, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Right Barney-the-Clown

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 17, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

You know you have no life when you're spending your saturday nights making idiotic comments on a blog.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 18, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse