Cerrato Understands Fans' Frustration

I didn't hear the entire episode of the unfortunately named Inside the Red Zone With Vinny Cerrato on ESPN 980 Friday morning, but I heard a few long portions. Since he's the guy in charge, it seemed like it'd be worth providing some of Cerrato's thoughts. The first, and possibly most important question posed by Frank Hanrahan to Cerrato was whether he understands the current frustration in this town.

"Yeah, I would say definitely," Cerrato said. "Because you know what, I think everybody is frustrated, just because we're not scoring points and we have difficulty getting off the field on third down. To me, those are frustrating things, because what happens in the course of a game is, when they keep making plays on third down, that's frustrating. Because you get your hopes up, you play good on first and second down, it's third and long and then, 'Ugh, we've got to do it again.' And then offensively, we take the ball, we drive it down the field, and we get to the red area, and we can't score. So to me, it's like, 'Oh, here we go again.'

"So what do you have to do? How do you fix that? And I'd just like to say this to fans, WE WILL GET IT FIXED. It has to get fixed, and that's what all the focus has been on this week. And I can definitely understand the fans' frustration. We have outstanding fans, that's why I'm glad we are at home this week, because of the fans, because of our home field, and we have to take care of that. We're 1-0 at home. We have to continue to win at home, and the thing that we've got to do is count on our fans at home. Because if we can continue to win at home, we've got a chance.

"And the the thing that we've got to do is keep improving. You know Frank, you know how to get out of a hole? You stop digging, ok? So we've got to stop digging on third down and on red zone. So how do you, what do you do? You say, 'What do you do, how do you do this?' And you go back and you evaluate everything that you do. You evaluate what you're doing, how you do it, and try to come up with something why it's not working.

"You keep doing this, you have tendencies. Break tendencies, do that. Third down, same thing: What are we doing, what do we have to do, how do we disrupt, all those things. The coaches, they come in right away, and the thing about it Frank is we've been a Top 10 defense probably for five of the last six years. Greg Blache is an outstanding coach. We were fourth last year. We will get that fixed. We will get that fixed. So, total faith in that.

"And offensively, we've got to figure out how to score points. And you know, we've got to figure that out quickly, because to win in this league, you've got to score points....So those are things that we've got to overcome. I mean, that's why, that is why we are 1-2. Those two things. Period. Period."

After the break, Hanrahan noted that the Skins are averaging fewer than 13 points a game over their last 11 games, dating to last season.

"Here's the problem with that, you average [12.7], and the thing about it, it correlates, all right?" Cerrato said. "Because what is our record in those 11 games? So that's the thing that we've got to get straightened out. We have got to score points to win in the National Football League, that's what we've got to do. We've got to score, we've got to, you know, finish. Because I think we're seventh in the league in average yards per drive. The thing that we're not doing, we're awesome 20 to 20, but we've got to finish. And to score points you've got to have touchdowns. You know, three points don't add up. Four field goals is twelve points. You know, so we've got to finish, we've got to find a way to finish, we've got to find a way to get in the end zone consistently. If we can find a way to get in the end zone consistently, then it makes it easier on the defense, makes it easier on everybody."

More of Cerrato's thoughts.

On the Haynesworth injury scare: "I think he's gonna be ok. He'll probably be sore, and he's been working through it. The thing about it is, when he went out, I said, 'Oh man,' you know? I thought he was gonna be out for a while. Then he came back and played, so I give him a lot of credit for doing that, coming back in. It's a tight game, we need him in there, and he came back in and played the game, because he is a disruptive force."

On the run defense's struggles: " I think that we will get there. Because you know why, we have a history of that. We have a history of playing outstanding run defense, we have a history of playing outstanding defense. So you know, we've added three new guys, so it's everybody kind of working together, learning together. So to me, that will come together."

On Reed Doughty's promotion to the starting lineup: "Last game, came in, he's making plays behind the line of scrimmage. It's not anything that Chris Horton has done, I think it's more of what Reed Doughty is showing and doing on the field. So it's like you're staying with the hot guy. The guy's making plays, he's showing up all the time, so let him, he's earned the right to be on the field."

On the special teams: "The group that's been playing well in my opinion's been the special teams. I mean, Hunter Smith has done a great job punting. I mean, we punted 'em three times inside the 20. Our kickoff coverage was outstanding. Two times inside the 20-yard line. So that was very positive, and I think that group has been playing well throughout. If we could get a big play in the return game, but the return team has been doing well, so that is one area that has done well. The others are just inconsistent. The offense is great but we just haven't finished. Defense, first and second down, we're doing fine, now we've just got to find a way to play all three downs. You know, and those are things that we've got to get corrected, and we've got to get em corrected quickly, because it's still very early in the season, and there's a lot of football yet to be played."

On going to the U2 show: "I saw the U2 concert. The classic songs, thumbs up, the other songs, I don't know."

On Sally Jenkins's harsh column this week: "Well I called her yesterday about the article at her house in New York. And asked her about the article. And you know, if you're gonna at least attack me, call me and ask me beforehand my opinion of stuff.....And you know what, when we're 1-2 Frank, have at it. But don't attack me on things that when you're only here one day a week, have only been to one game, don't really know that much about the team. But you know, if we're 1-2, have at a lot of it. But at least call me and talk to me. I've never spoken to the lady except yesterday, and I had to call her in New York, because I think she just travels down here once in a while."

On having so much talent: "You're frustrated, and you just need a game where you can just let it all go, and that's what we've got to do. Because between the 20s, when we're in 2-minute, when we're doing all these things, we can move the ball. I mean, we've moved it against everybody between the 20s, Giants, everybody. We've had yards. So it's about finishing, and that's the most critical part, is to finish. Find a way to finish. You know, it's like a basketball guy that gets a layup, you get a free layup, and then you miss a layup. You know, you've got to finish."

On what's going on inside the players' heads: "I think you play tight because you're not finishing, you're not scoring. You know, and they keep hearing it, and that's kind of what's harped upon, so I think you get tight, because it becomes kind of in your mind, 'Here we go again.' You know, you're a little fragile. All right, 4th-and-1 you don't make it, 'Here we go again.' So it's just about having success, you know, success. Once we have success there, and continued success, you gain confidence. Then you expect to score. When we get the ball on the 20-yard line, our guys expect to go down the field. Three and out? We don't have many three and outs....You've got to get over that hump. Once we get over that hump, somehow some way, you've got to get over that hump. And finish."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 2, 2009; 11:39 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Talk About Being Vegas's Darlings
Next: Get Ready For the Paper Bags

Comments

____________________________________________

When you don't like the (accurate) message, attack the messanger!

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Will you LOOK at this? Vinny getting soft over commentary from a columnist?

Is it the fact she's a woman and had the ears and eyes of the WaPo readers yesterday? Is that it Vinny?

Or is it the fact people want your head on a platter?

OR could it be we know you're a scumbucket businessman who doesn't really care about the fans and more about the RETURNS you and your partner get from this teams?

Yeah...I read Forbes. I see how much the Skins are worth. 1.6 bil. Not bad.

But this "scheme" is about to implode and not soon enough. Sally wasn't harsh ENOUGH if you ask me!

There are people that would love to see you and Danny get hit while in that friggin golf cart on I-66 during rush hour traffic.

sad, but it's true.

Posted by: cbmuzik | October 2, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is an idiot, bar none! I swear that the triumvrant of Zorn, Vinny, and Danny combined have a football IQ of an armadillo. If scoring less than 13 points per game "correlates to losing" then why did you address the defensive line and not the o-line? Why do we still have overpaid diva wanta a be's like Clinton Portis? Why is a second rate QB still trying to lead this team when he does not have leadership ability in his make up? Finally, Vinny, where is your accountability for the way this team is structured? If you are the GM, then you are responsible for this team's DNA. Bottom line, you are an incompetent rear-end kisser, and a second rate "yes man" to the little general want-a-be Napolean, nameed Snyder.

Posted by: skinfannomore | October 2, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I think the worst thing coming out of Ashburn is that no-one really knows what's wrong. Zorn thinks we are improving when we lose to the lowly Lions. Snyder has no idea why people hate him when he has done nothing but "good" for the team (in his mind). And Vinny knows not scoring points correlates to losing, but has no idea how to fix it.

It would be refreshing if all three would just say that they screwed the pooch and that they are "sorry" to the fan base, and that they will try to be better. Just say "SORRY" for your incompetence. It will go a long way towards the quieting the fan base..

Three (idiot) amigos don't get it.

Posted by: skinfannomore | October 2, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is awesome.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Just saw Clemson's team bus parked on my street in front of the Marriot. The number over there is 301-897-9400. Call and ask for C.J Spiller or Kyle Parker between the hours of 3:00-5:00 a.m. Go Terps!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

What the heck, does he just not even THINK about the offensive line???

Posted by: rob23 | October 2, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh Vinny, this is about so much more than the 1-2 record.

You poor, oblivious man.

Posted by: smutsboy | October 2, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is living in a la-la land, saying things like "we will get it fixed", dude you have no idea how to fix it, going out and getting free agents at skill positions next year isn't gonna do it. We need to take our top tier first round pick next year and get a dominant OG or OT. End of Story. Cerrato needs to get off the yack

Posted by: DFelice7797 | October 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Let’s give the man his due...

By his own words and deeds, Vinny is trying to demonstrate the new culture of accountability at Redskin headquarters.

Thus, we can infer the following “Principles of Accountability, According to Vinny Cerrato.”

- If you don't like what your critics are saying about you, you should ignore them.

- When your critics get so angry and loud that you can't ignore them, then you should tell them a few lies about how it will get better real soon.

- If that doesn't work, then shoot the messenger for daring to raise the subject.

- But above all, never ever compromise or give anyone any reason whatsoever to think the critics might just be right.

And that, my friends, is a Vinny's lesson in accountability for today -- at least as it pertains to his accountability to his employer, the highly respected and ever irreproachable Massah Snyder.

Amen and hallelujah!

Posted by: Vic1 | October 2, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

"Mr. Cerrato, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Posted by: Nobes | October 2, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, could this guy be any more ridiculous? He's upset because she didn't ask his opinion? The only opinion of his that matters relates to how he and Danny determine how to assemble this team each year and the results there don't take a rocket scientist to figure out. I live in New York too and travel down on Sundays to see the games and could care less if he understands my frustration. Do your job and stop whining about it when you get criticized for your proven track record of failure.

Posted by: tjohn26ny | October 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

"WR-TE-WR"

[Copyright 'NateinthePDX' 2009, all rights reserved]

Posted by: 4-12 | October 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Litmus Test:

Name 1 (ONE) NFL team that would consider Vinny Cerrato to be their GM

Posted by: nativedc | October 2, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

All Vinny did was repeat what everyone already knew. How about addressing the fact that you did absolutely nothing to improve the offense line during the off season. What do you have to say about that? And please don't mention Mike Williams.

Posted by: ralston21 | October 2, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Here's the funny thing: Vinny kept noting that Sally Jenkins lives in NY and doesnt go to games. SO WHAT!! There's plenty of people in DC who are fans and dont go to the games. It's because the experience SUCKS (and I say this as a season ticket holder who's likely in my last year of owning them)!! You know, Vinny, there's this thing called TELEVISION. Anyone can watch the pitiful performances on TV and be just as informed. And also, VINNY, since when does she need to interview you to offer an opinion about you? How would that go?

Sally: Vinny, you're a proven football failure and have no discernible talent to evaluate players. Do you wish to comment?

Vinny: No.

Okay, that was fruitful. I genuinely think that every time Vinny opens his mouth, he just proves how stupid he is.

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What the heck, does he just not even THINK about the offensive line???

Posted by: rob23 | October 2, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure he "THINKS" about the offensive line. Let's see, we drafted 4 of our starting 5 O-linemen (technically Heyer was a rookie free agent but the first team All ACC tackle would have been drafted were it not for a knee injury late in his college career). We brought back Dockery this offseason and currently are much younger at 3 of our O-line positions than we were last year. We also brought in Mike Williams in the offseason and the greatest O-line coach in the history of the sport seems to think the kid can play.

So, yeah, the O-line's future is looking better every day thanks to Vinny.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

So so sad. Well, I've got my tee time set right in the middle of the skins game. A nice day to be outside for sure. I look forward to the 4 o'clock game, whoever it is.

Posted by: richs91 | October 2, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's one of the three blind mice. The other two are Snyder and Zorn.

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 2, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"We brought back Dockery this offseason and currently are much younger at 3 of our O-line positions than we were last year.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 12:45 PM"

Vinny, is that you?

Yes, technically, I guess you're right. Early to mid-30's IS younger than late 30's. So, completely forget about the O-line.

EVERYONE stands corrected.

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

EVERYONE stands corrected.

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Early to mid-30s? Dockery, Heyer, and Reinhart are ALL in their 20s, bro.

I've said this before many times but it's worth repeating: IF you don't know what you're talking about, please don't feel compelled to write a comment.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Did he say they moved the ball against the Giants? ? Funny, I don't remember that. Neither does he obviously. He's a tool. And Sally hit it right on the head with her column, he tries to demean her by saying she is only in town for one day a week. Guess what you big dumb moron, SHE GETS IT! You don't.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"IF you don't know what you're talking about, please don't feel compelled to write a comment.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 12:54 PM"

Okay Vinny,

So Dockery is 29 (and a castoff from the Bills). I stand corrected there, however NO ONE but you would consider him young. Reinhart was inactive for virtually all of last year (after being taken in the third round by you). And he's only in now due to injury. Heyer was not drafted and couldn't even get his job back from Jon Jansen (!) last year after he returned from injury.

Yet, somehow, our line is okay in your eyes. That's why the Skins cant punch it in the endzone or get a first down from ONE YARD away. That's why the ALWAYS run left.

Maybe you should restrict yourself from posting.

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Stop the Portis bashing!! He is by far the best player on the team. Think JC has pressure now on him. Wait until Portis is not there. He is the best blocking back in the league by far. Also, he is elite RB. Last year this guy ran for over 1400 yards. Thats alot of yards in the NFL. Not to mention, he is about to break the Redskins career rushing record in 6 years. He is a great running back. The blame is on O-line. Only place to run on that line is to the left behind Chris Samuels. This is why this team is not scoring, no O line at all. Against the Lions 4th down and goal one 1, they ran to the left. Did anyone in that stadium, on the field, watching it on TV not know there were going to do that. Thats just bad play calling on Zorns part. Why cant they call a play with Sellers going up the middle with the ball or blocking and Portis going in. Or even pull a Walter Payton and jump over the top. You telling me Portis cant jump 1 yard. I see a big win this weekend , by at least a touchdown or more. And Portis having 150 yards. MARK MY WORDS! HAIL

Posted by: wm_mulholland | October 2, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is Snyder's take the bullet guy. If none of the players on the current roster have been well coached, Vinny has. He knows exactly what to say leaving out key facts of why the Redskins have been mediocre under Snyder's rule. Without going into the thousands of reasons why Mr. Barno, just answer ONE question. Which NFL head coach was hired and was NOT allowed to pick his own staff?

If you ask me Zorn has an out. Snyder and Cerrato come across looking like idiots for this and past fiascos.

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Lagdog Sock Puppet Cerrato didn't like what an objective reporter had to say about him and an owner with low self esteem and a big ego? Tough. They are singularly the reason why the Redskins will go maybe 6-10 this season, then they go out and get Bill Cowher or Shanahan, only to have them hobbled by the egocentric owner again, and they get frustrated when the owner signs Terrel Owens to a large hefty contract and that player under performs. The head of the snake is Snyder and the tail is Lapdog Cerrato. Both have to be lopped off soon. The best thing Snyder could do is the same thing Cooke did by proxy use his minority share owner (Edward Bennett Williams) to find the best GM, (Bobby Bethard) to put the best personnel on the team then use their guile and aptitude to find the right fit coach for this assembly of professional athletes. Until Neapolian gets out of the way the Skins are going to suck and swallow.

Posted by: Sideswiped | October 2, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Vinny is in a complete clue vacuum. Hey, Vinny, I'll say it real slow: YOU - ARE - THE - PROBLEM!

Posted by: hype1 | October 2, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I do not care for this Vinny Cerrato, not one little bit.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Okay Vinny,

Maybe you should restrict yourself from posting.

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Bro, it's not just that you were off. You were way, way off...the oldest of our 3 new lineman, Dockery, is 7 years younger than Pete kendall, the man he replaced. We got younger on our O-line this year, just like everyone asked for. Who cares how it happened. The future of our O-line is a lot brighter today than it was a year ago...fans should be happy about it, they got what they asked for... but instead they continue to b*tch.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I like how Vinny first acknowledged that the fans are "frustrated," when there are much better words to describe the fans' emotions (like "angry"), and then he attributes all of that frustration ONLY to the performance of the players. So, in Vinny's mind, the only reason fans are frustrated is because the players are performing poorly.

Way to take responsibility, Vinny.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 2, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"Bro, it's not just that you were off. You were way, way off...the oldest of our 3 new lineman, Dockery, is 7 years younger than Pete kendall, the man he replaced.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 1:26 PM"

Way off? Not really. You forget the fact that Reinhart is only ACTIVE because of an injury (to another old guy). And Heyer is only PLAYING because Jansen was cut. And only VINNY (who I'm now convinced is YOU) would bring back Dockery for the money he did after the Bills CUT HIM. Keep talking, genius. You only prove that the line should have been addressed the way most teams do it: in the draft with a REAL GENERAL MANAGER.

And even with the changes you noted, the Skins still have one of the oldest lines in the league. Going from ANCIENT to merely DECREPIT is not an improvement!

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"You know what we need to do? Identify the things that are broken and fix them." (quote edited for clarity and cogency on my part.)

It's amazing that with that kind of clear, critical analysis and his "total faith" that things will improve based on Washington's historic performance, that the team is not playing any better.

I would like to have Mr. Cerrato manage a lot of money on Wall Street, as it seems he might be similarly well-suited to the last set of jokers that were assigned to that task.

Posted by: NatsFan71 | October 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Litmus Test:

Name 1 (ONE) NFL team that would consider Vinny Cerrato to be their GM

Posted by: nativedc
_____________________________________

Can name only one........The Washington Redskins!

Hey, isn't there something very "Kato Kaelin" about Vinny? I'm just sayin'

Posted by: BenThere | October 2, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"The future of our O-line is a lot brighter today than it was a year ago...fans should be happy about it, they got what they asked for... but instead they continue to b*tch."

Posted by: Barno1

barno, that's like saying that we should get excited about the sign for Beltsville, Md., when the car is trying to get from Baltimore to San Francisco.

Posted by: mdrockjock | October 2, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

So, yeah, the O-line's future is looking better every day thanks to Vinny.

Posted by: Barno1
___________________________________________

It's pretty clear these posts are originating from Redskins Park, there's no way someone who's a legitimate fan of this team would willingly say something that ridiculous and still have the mental capacity to form sentences.

Oh sorry Buddy, Heyer was never "drafted", Dockery has done a "Fantastic" job opening holes on the left side, and Rinehardt was so amazing ......that he couldn't beat out an ancient and frequently hurt Randy Thomas to start until now. And Mike Williams.........well he's lost some weight!

How is it that we are still by far the oldest team in the league. The future of the O-line is laughable this year and uncertain for years to come, thanks to your bestest friends in the whole world Dan Snyder and Vinnie Cerrato

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I heard a stat yesterday, that tells you the difference between an organization/GM that know what they are doing...and..us. The Patriots have 7 1st or 2nd round picks in the next two years. 7. How many do we have Vinny?? 3?

Good teams know how to draft young players and develop them, in a certain philosophy that is STABLE. Vinny is an order taker to the real GM, Danny boy. We have no pipeline of talent, Malcom kelly? Devin Thomas? Chris Horton, who was one of our best young players, just got benched!

stop attacking the reporter as well, Vinny - EVERY reporter says the same thinga bout the skins. NO GM.

Go Caps.

Posted by: gs12 | October 2, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

No one gives a rats behind what YOU think Cerrato. Why should Jenkins?

Snyder and his money can stay. CERRATO needs to GTHO.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | October 2, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

How can you love Vinny? Even if we assume this year goes as well as last year (which it won't) that is another 8-8 year. The dude has done nothing, what is worth defending? At best we go 9-7; is that what we want? Wouldn't you want to bring somebody in with real credentials that won't allow Danny to dictate who we sign.

A real GM resigns Demtric Evans last year.

And to tout our offensive line; who are you kidding? We cannot run left. That is half of the field. We cannot gain tough yards in short-yardage situation.

Blow it up. Fire vinny, bring in a REAL GM, and let him make all the decisions from there. I want Kevin Abrams from the NYG

Posted by: jpfterps | October 2, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Vinny, if you really wanna feel my pain, go back to S.F., ya thug!

Posted by: ericenderle | October 2, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or when I read Vinny and his comments, he reminds of how arnold schwarzenegger talks? "If you want to do this stuff, then they have to do that and that will come and stuff. Ahhhey... I must break you and deal with these dealings and stuff".

Posted by: dimatuma | October 2, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

He doesn't understand anything. This year is a symptom of a ten-year long disease. We are angry and frustrated because what we see this season, is what we saw three seasons ago, and what we will see three seasons from now, under the current management. Snyder needs to hire a real GM, and then step back and sign checks...that's it!

Posted by: migraine_boy98 | October 2, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

vinny- this isn't about calling you out and writing bad articles because the "talent" you assembled is 1-2. Oh no. If you think that concept is "understanding" our frustration, it just illustrates how out of touch you actually are. Try 1-2 on top of 9 years of abject failure with peaks of mediocrity sprinkled sparingly throughout...

Posted by: bacaje | October 2, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Cerato your heart is there but the Redskins stink! We looked very slow on defense against Detroit. When are you gonna make a change at qb? Jeese so flip...your not scoring squat do something about it.

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 2, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe once, oh, every six years, we should spend higher than a 3rd round pick on an offensive lineman! No push in the red zone, period.

Vinny = FAIL.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | October 2, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Vinny makes hasty decisions in a vacuum...oh we lost a DE, let's go trade for Jason Taylor! Everything looks OK in the moment, then it dumps on your team when a) the guy you traded for is gone and b) you don't have a valuable(well, in most GMs hands) second round pick.

There must be something in the air over in Ashburn/the owner's suite - these poor decisions have been building for years.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | October 2, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

O....M.....G!!!!!! Talk about an illiterate, unfocused, out-of-touch, blubbering, blundering, clueless idiot. Wow... I mean... Wow!!!

Posted by: motiongrfx | October 2, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

IDIOT. I don't know what else to say...

Oh, I almost forgot: you're a FOOL, Cerrato. You too, Snyder.

Posted by: nodata2000 | October 2, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

" ... On the fans: "We want the fans up and cheering, having fun, so when they leave, they say, 'Awesome, man!' "

If I ever meet Vinny Cerrato, I'm going to get right up in his face and say 'Awesome, man!'

That will be awesome.

Vinny is so awesome. He fills me with awe because he is so filled with awesomeness. Full. Not just a little bit. Not some. Full. The word "some" itself even diminishes how full he is of awesomeness. Just drop the "some".

Awe ... full.

Posted by: dcsween | October 2, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I would like to say TJ Duckett. That is all. Case closed....

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 2, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Too Bad at the stadium if you stand up, they tell you to sit down. And will throw you out if you keep doing it.. I am a season ticket holder and it is retarded the things you can't do in there. Stand up, yell at players! Its football for pete's sake.

Posted by: cromag23 | October 2, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"And to score points you've got to have touchdowns. You know, three points don't add up. Four field goals is twelve points."

--------------------------

Thanks, Vinny. It's that kind of keen insight and expert football knowledge that have gotten the 'Skins where they are today.

Posted by: js_edit | October 2, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"because to win in this league, you've got to score points...."

Now there's an insightful tip that hadn't occurred to me before. Man, you Redskins fans have a genius general manager there.

- Giants (3-0) Fan

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | October 2, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

You know? I didn't know but now I know, you know?

Posted by: charley42 | October 2, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is an idiot. you should've asked him how he feels about being the worst GM in the league. Ask him if he cares that fans fault the managment more than the players. Ask him if he cares taht he's losing fans game by game. Ask him if he's willing to step down for the sake of this franchise. I have been loyal to this team, but this article just makes me upset and its Cerrato and Snyder that need to wake up and get out of town.

Posted by: adman34 | October 2, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

This is the guy who didn't appear on his own radio show when the team lost last year, right? Of a piece with the owner shaking players' hands after a victory and glaring at them after a loss, isn't it. Quite a couple of princes you've got there.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | October 2, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 1:26 PM"

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"Heyer is only playing because Jansen got cut" UM no, actually Heyer would have been starting regardless if healthy. He beat out Jansen last year and Zorn got Jansen cut because he knew he wouldn't be starting and was too expensive to keep as a backup.

We drafted an O-lineman in the 3rd round (that's fairly high) last year. He is now starting. WHO CARES THAT IT TOOK AN INJURY FOR HIM TO START?!?

Dockery is a fine guard. We drafted him, in the 3rd round. He just turned 29, he's in his prime right now. WHO CARES THAT BUFFALO DIDN'T WANT HIM ANYMORE (Which had more to do with his huge salary than his performance).

Get a grip people. This team will win 10-11 games this year, go to the playoffs, and you'll forget all about how much you hate Cerrato and Snyder.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, love ya man, you hang in there!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 2, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I see your TJ Duckett and raise you a Jason Taylor.

Posted by: smutsboy | October 2, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

__________________________

I admire your optimism, but there's a better chance of seeing Osama bin Laden getting the Congressional Medal of Honor than the Skins winning 10 games.

Posted by: owiz | October 2, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

This guy has to be one of the biggest idot on the planet. The reason fans are so upset is not only beacuse of the lowly loss to the Lions or the 1-2 record but because we have stunk up the joint for such a long time and the product on the field and stadium experince is worthless. All Snyder want to do is make a buck and now everyone knows it and people are fed up. We will always have suckers who will take their hard earned money and give it to Snyder but that's capitalism at it's best. No one with brains wants to coach here (Zorn has no gray matter), no GM wants to have anything to do with Dannyboy and take my word, this team will me a 500 teams until this franchise is sold. Vinny you are worthless!!!

Posted by: mofares | October 2, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Vinny is obviously delusional.

Then again, maybe not....he never denied what Sally said was true, he just said that she's from New York, and presumably she doesn't know. The ad hominem attacks don't help, and in this case, I think they backfire. If somebody who's only been to one game and comes to town one day a week says the same thing that fans and experts have been saying for years, it must mean the problem is obvious.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | October 2, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

While trying to read Vinnys incoherent ramblings, I found myself wondering if the person being quoted was Vinny or if it was Michael Scott.

Vinny, we want you gone. If your boy won't fire you, just leave on your own.
LEAVE NOW!!!

Posted by: jgarrisn | October 2, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sooo, in Vinny's world, since the Redskins have a history of stopping the run, we will stop the run this year.

However, this logic conveniently does NOT apply to the offense. The offense has a long history of not scoring many points, but this will change this year.

Do we really need any more proof? This guy is a total dumbass.

Posted by: jgarrisn | October 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

La-la-la-la
La-la-la-la
Vinny's world!

La-la-la-la
La-la-la-la
Vinny's world!

Vinny loves his goldfish,
His crayon too!

Thaaaaaaat's Vi-nny's wooooorrrrrllld!

[giggle giggle]

Hi! Welcome to Vinny's world! Vinny so happy to see you! And so is Dorothy. Say hello, Dorothy!

[giggle giggle]

Posted by: paperboy76 | October 2, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I could never imagine Zorn, Cerrato and Snyder hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

Posted by: djorl | October 2, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

jenkins, who is a professional lifelong sportswriter, has a better, truer view of the redskins from new york than cerrato, a professional lifelong hanger-on and wannabe, has from ashburn. case closed.

Posted by: natty-bumppo | October 2, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

My cousin Vinny proves again - he just doesn't get it.

Posted by: dcdash | October 2, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"This is just plain ridiculous. WHO CARES HOW WE GOT YOUNGER?!? THE BOTTOM LINE IS WE GOT YOUNGER!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 4:10 PM"

Barno,

What you cant (or wont) acknowledge is that our line consists of castoffs and no-talents. It seems that age is your only criteria. In that case, hell, lets get some HIGH SCHOOL kids in there and call it a day. Our future would be SUBLIME then!

While I somewhat admire your optimism (and, believe it or not, I was just like you until two years ago), you are way out of line to criticize fans for b*tching. We are all lifelong Redskins fans but it's now to the point where enough is enough. I know for me, the straw that broke the camel's back was the WaPo story about the front office suing the fans. That's reprihesible and just the perfect example of how this organization is run: SECOND RATE ON EVERY LEVEL!!! TO INCLUDE ITS "GENERAL MANAGER".

It's years of Snyder price gouging the fans. The horrible stadium experience. It's wasted drafts and giving away draft picks. Stupid personnel moves (going after whomever and letting go of whomever). A sixth round draft pick who is a Cowboys fan berates Skins fans and then isnt cut the next day. I could go on. But I finally have to say: ENOUGH.

Posted by: therearenonamesleft | October 2, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Yes after the Redskins win 10 to 11 games this year, we'll all suddenly black out, wake up, and the year will be 1998 long before anyone had heard of Dan Snyder or Vinnie Cerrato in Washington

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I hope you're paid we'll to be a Snyder apologist on the WAPO board. (Although considering you work for Snyder I seriously doubt it)

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------

If that's what he wants then:

1) lower prices
2) improve the team
3) get rid of abusive drunks in the stands

Today, fans leave and uniformly say: "That sucked".

Good job Vinnie

Posted by: atidwell | October 2, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm no fan of Jenkins but she nailed the Danny and you to a 'T'.

Oh, and by the way, we live in the Information Age; everyone can see EVERYTHING from ANYWHERE doofus.

She doesn't have to be here to see that you and your master are two unqualified donkeys who are ruining a great franchise.

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 2, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Easy, easy! Vincenta dresses real purty after midnight and lil Danny loves him very much. Who are we to judge the indulgences of the insanely rich and arrogant? Let us eat cake.

Posted by: 3rdGenRFan | October 2, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

an honest opinion... I truly have less respect for the guy after I heard him talk. If the Redskins turn this around it will be in spite of Vinnie and danny, not because of them...

Posted by: oldnova | October 2, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The OL drafts are pathetic. Heyor is terrible and Rheinhardt is only playing due to injury. Dockery is serviceable but could even be called "below-average".... ohe yeah... and who is backing them up? Some young studs we drafted over the last few years? No. Some late round "God please do not let the starter het hurt" prayers. Our center gets beat more than an egg at Denny's... shall I go on?

And oh yes... even though we had a glaring need at OL Vinny went out and drafted 3 ball catchers with the first three picks. How has that turned out?

You say the future of our OL is brighter today than last year?
I say "so what?" - the future of Afghanistan is brighter as well yet I do not contemplate moving there.

Posted by: oldnova | October 2, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I know Bobby Beathard and you sir, are no Bobby Beathard.

Posted by: keino83 | October 3, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Since it seems that Dan Snyder is not going to let Vinny Cerrato go. The least he can do is change his responsibilities and bring in someone experienced to be the General Manager. If someone like Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan, Mike Holmgren or Jon Gruden wants a little more authority than just coaching then give them a shot.
If you can bring in future Hall of Fame players and still not win then you need to change your approach. I think what is going to unfold this season is the fans are going become more disapponted if our team does not improve. The bottom line is either a lot of the players are either not that good , have seen their best days or the coach does not know how to get a team confident enough to win. The only thing that can heal this is more wins. A mediocre season won't cut the cake. My biggest complaint is both on offense and defense we are so clueless and predictable.

Posted by: raystitt810 | October 5, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse