George Michael on Why Fans Hate Snyderrato

There might not be a single person in Washington better able to understand the Redskins from both the fans' and ownership's point of view than George Michael. Of course, he's an inveterate homer and is pals with Daniel Snyder and has taken his cash and all that, but he also knows how to keep it real, when so inclined. Thursday was one of those times. During a massive 30-minute appearance on 106.7 The Fan's Mike Wise Show, Michael attempted to explain what's gone wrong in Ashburn.

(Podcast here, soon.)

"You all want to dump it on Dan Snyder," Michael said. "I understand that. I understand that. I don't think Dan does. I don't think he understands why people hate him so. The truth is--and I've got to give you full disclosure, everybody knows that I am friends with Dan Snyder, not in the sense that I'm in the tank for him, but he is a friend, I admit that. But Dan doesn't even understand what he does wrong. He doesn't even understand the things he does wrong. If the fans knew how bad he wants to win, they would go my God, he wants to win as much as I do."

So, why, then, have things gone so badly from a PR standpoint?

"It's Dan's fault...and that's a shame," said Michael, who then described the "absolute chaos" in Ashburn when Snyder took over the team.

"I mean, Norv hated Charley so bad," he went on. "So now Dan Snyder inherits it. People from day 1 hated Dan Snyder because he was 35 years old, bought the team for $850 million, and his neighbors told the Washington Post, he's a jerk. And that is when it started.

"And then down in Atlanta when he got the team, he didn't know how to handle the media, he didn't have someone with him who could help him handle the media and talk. And I remember vividly he whisking himself out of the Westin hotel and Wally Bruckner...along with 25 other people trying to keep up with him,.Wally ran into a door and knocked those $200,000 doors off their hinges in the Westin hotel....People did not like Dan from the get go, and the truth is, I don't think people know him. And then he'll do things like LaVar said, he would go into the locker room and glare. What Dan wants is accountability. He wants accountability.

"He never went into the locker room and glared when Joe Gibbs was the coach. That did not happen with Joe Gibbs. Because Gibbs went before the public after that loss to the Buffalo Bills and said, 'I lost this game.' Now coach, that's a load of horse manure. He did not lose the game. It sticks with me every day of my life, but that's the kind of man Joe Gibbs was. Another coach was yelling in his ear, 'Call another timeout, call another timeout.' He called the second timeout....To take the heat, to take the heat off of the guys who screwed up on the field, to take the heat off the safety...Gibbs goes before the public and says, 'I Lost This Game.' "

The implication being certain other Redskins coaches might want to adopt a similar approach. Interestingly, Greg Blache today took blame for the defensive struggles and told reporters to throw him under the bus. As for Cerrato, Michael was asked who really makes the personnel decisions.

"Let me tell you the truth: Dan does make I think most of those big-type decisions," Michael said. "He says 'Let's get this guy, let's get that guy.' And the guy that takes the heat for it--and it's why I think he's never gotten fired--is Vinny Cerrato. Now, Cerrato's painted as a bozo, but the truth is, what did Vinny Cerrato do for the team? Look at Chris Horton. That's the kind of guy he gets."

So Wise asked Michael if he thinks Cerrato is a capable talent evaluator.

"Oh, there's no ifs buts or ands," Michael said. "I mean, I know that for a fact, I know that from other people around the league. Here's the problem Mike--and God, I can't believe I'm telling all this truth--Vinny Cerrato is a ZERO when it comes to public relations and building relationships with people in the world. I'm sorry. My Good God. He doesn't ask why don't people like me, but you've got to go out and you've got to do things....I feel bad that Cerrato has not gone out and tried to build these relationships."

Michael presumably has a bead on Jim Zorn's future, and he agreed when Wise said the Skins need to win two out of the next three and be respectable in all of them. Michael then managed to compare Zorn to Lindsay Czarniak (as an undiscovered talent), and to insist that Snyder wants to stick with him.

"I will tell you this, and folks, please write this down--Dan Snyder does not want to fire Jim Zorn," Michael said. "Believe me, on my kid's life, he doesn't want to fire Zorn. Let me tell you, he does not want to fire Jim Zorn....

"You have to take gambles, and that's what they did with Zorn," he continued. "Dan Snyder put his name, his stamp, his reputation on Jim Zorn. If Jim doesn't deliver what Dan Snyder thinks is a good deal, then there's no telling when it could end. But I must tell you this, after you lose to the Detroit Lions--and I do personally love this guy Jim Zorn, he's a great guy--you cannot go before the public and say we're making improvements. Dear God, if you're making improvement and losing to the 0-19 Lions, my ass is grass and you're the lawnmower. We're in trouble, baby."

More highlights, and again, please listen to it all here. It was awesome.

On the Marty experiment: "Here's the deal guys, he should never have hired Marty Schottenheimer....I said to [Snyder's relatives], I said folks, within six months you will regret the decision to have hired Marty Schottenheimer. The first day of training camp, Fred Drasner, who owned the team, turned to me and said, 'We oughta fire this son of a bitch today.' You don't know what Marty Schottenheimer is, you don't know what he is until you live with him, until you work with him."

On Gregg Williams not getting hired: "I love Gregg Williams. He's a dear dear friend, but he could not have coexisted with Dan Snyder. Haven't you ever met someone in life that you just don't like?"

On Sonny vs. Zorn: "No one was at fault. You have to understand, Sonny is a Redskins fan, and he was so frustrated, he voiced his own feeling as a fan. He and I talked maybe 15 minutes after he did it, and I said Sonny, it was a great question but the wrong time and the wrong place....It came after a victory, and after you win, even as godawful, ugly as it was, I don't need to go in and say to you that was a BS call, coach. You know, let it go. Sonny could have held that thought til Monday."

On the Future: "There IS NO QUICK FIX. If anyone thinks anyone can turn this around over night, they are badly mistaken....Here is the deal: There IS NO QUICK FIX. Who's been the face of the franchise? Clinton Portis. What has Clinton Portis done for me lately? Everybody knows that I'm in the tank for Clinton, I love the guy. I don't want him to deliver my loaf of bread right now! He can't carry the dadgum loaf of bread to my front door much less get me one yard at the 4th-and-goal at the 1, so I don't want that. So I put $100 million on Albert Haynesworth--ooooh, I hurt my hip, I can't play the next 25 plays. And then I've got Jason, God love you, Jason, if I can see Antwaan Randle-El standing by himself with no one within 100 yards of him...then the quarterback's got to see it.

"And when things like that are happening, it becomes very frustrating. And that's why Zorn says we're making improvements, what he should have said was folks there were plays where we had guys that were ready to score touchdowns but we didn't get the ball in their hands. That I would have understood."

On Snyder's Popularity: "I saw a poll the other day where 52 percent of the people believe that the Redskins' problems are Dan Snyder's fault. When you put yourself up front as I'm gonna be the leader of this band and the band is totally out of step, then people are gonna blame you. Now the truth is that right now, I've got to be honest with you guys, I wish that Monday Jim Zorn would have stepped up and said, 'I am the one who screwed up this band, I'm the one that has us out of step.' Instead, he said the team is making progress. We're not making progress when you lose to the 0-19 Lions. That is not making progress."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 1, 2009; 1:11 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rodney Harrison Calls Jason Campbell a Backup
Next: Haywood and Butler Still Support the Redskins

Comments

Wow, good insight. I don't hate GM but I was surprised at how forthright he was in this interview. Mike Wise has a great show, quality people on that show all the time.

Posted by: trolly_time | October 1, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to post the same thing I posted on the ESPN NFC East blog:

Here's the deal, I think Danny boy is a tremendous fan of the organization and genuinely wants to create a great team; however, he doesn't make the hard decisions that he needs to make as a business man and owner. For instance he needs to get rid of Vinny. Just because someone is your friend doesn't mean that they'll be good to work with and as a business man he should understand that. Additionally he needs a GM and he needs a coach that will stand up to him, like Gibbs did, and really get the football minds in there to take care of business. Danny may idolize Jerry Jones but he also has to realize the fan base and Redskins brand that he deals with. We used to be a classy organization and one that other teams strived to be and now it's just a joke because he's trying to be like JJ. As for LaVar I think most Skins fans will agree that he was mostly right with his comments; however, it's hard to take him seriously considering he's been so bitter since he left the Redskins.

Posted by: JulzDC | October 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"What Dan wants is accountability. He wants accountability."

And yet Dan shows no accountability himself. The guy, as George says, makes all the major decisions on the team, and yet won't even do interviews during the season. And he wants accountability from others? What a joke.

Posted by: TheFingerman | October 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

good stuff

Posted by: AreYouKiddingMe1 | October 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Sally Jenkins hit it on the head. No matter what is said, by his proponents, Dan Snyder wants to be the top guy of the team, win, lose, or draw.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | October 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Great insights and only confirms that what Sally Jenkins wrote today is 100%. $nyder doesn't think he's doing anything wrong. Of course he is. He's making football decisions and knows nothing about the game.

And he's treating the fans like his own personal money machine, and now come to find out that one does not speak to that little butthole unless he speaks to you?

Who the phuque does that guy think he is?

Posted by: VeloStrummer | October 1, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Danny wants to win so bad? Hire a GM and get out of the way. Then I'll believe it. It's like an abusive husband or alcoholic. You want to change? Change. WANTING to win and doing what it takes to win aren't the same things.

Posted by: Gweez | October 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Just letting that linger in the air for a minute.
A decade in, and he doesn't understand what he does wrong.
Wow...Just Wow!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like OLD George is still a bit peeved that people would rather see Lyndsey Czarniak than his decrepit old self anymore. You can't defend the Redskins Front Office. Bottom line, the most successful owners in the NFL are nowhere near the headlines of the team. The Krafts, the Rooney's, The Mara family, all successful franchise's. You only hear their names when they are being spoken of reverently. You hear Snyder's name every week of the season, and every DAY of the offseason because that is the only thing he KNOWS he can do, write a check. He can't evaluate talent, he can't work with people, and he provides the Most unsatisfying miserable Pro-football experience on Sundays. The losses I can get over, I can't get over the ridiculous charges for everything he thinks he is entitled to. That's the parking, the concessions, the shuttle rides, service charges when buying tickets, its EVERYTHING! Mosey on back to the Ponderosa you over the hill old sow. When you are off the payroll, gimme your opinion.

Posted by: broodin77 | October 1, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

JulzDC

You make an interesting point about Vinny. I think he should get rid of Vinny, not because Vinny is a bad talent evaluator but because he can make vinny do what he wants him to and thats not what Snyder needs. He needs a person who is a good talent evaluator and will tell him to get out of the way and I will call you when it is time to write the checks. Just as I have been saying, You can tell Vinny's personnel decisions that were actually his and the ones that were influenced by Snyder. The picks that were actually Vinny's produce good players, Chris Horton, Sean Taylor, Landry, Orakpo to name a few. And I think the two recievers will prove to be good picks. But thats an example of Vinny being in Snyders ear. Vinny would not have spent the draft picks on two recievers that year, he would have addressed the lines more. But snyder convinced him to go for WR's and he did. For that he should be fired. He listens to his friend who does not belong in the decision making except when its time to sign the player. If you are an alcoholic trying to stay clean, do you want to hang around a friend who discourages you from drinking or one that takes you to a bar? Vinny cant stand up to snyders bad decisions. We need a GM who is not his friend and will tell him no.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 1, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

George Michael's babbling is just total, TOTAL BS. He says, "But Dan doesn't even understand what he does wrong. He doesn't even understand the things he does wrong."

How about suing all those die-hard Redskins fans who no longer can afford to be season ticket holders -- such as the guy with diagnosed mental problems and the elderly lady? How about gouging fans for parking fees (and cutting off other available parking spots over the years), outrageous food prices, and taking away tailgating? How about the 10 years of mediocrity and below par teams and woeful management decisions (such as Jason Taylor for a 2nd Round pick). How about making this once proud & successful franchise a laughingstock?

Yeah, poor 'ol Dan Snyder... Gimme a friggin' break. George Michael is an idiot.

Posted by: fxfemail | October 1, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Snyder wants accountability but feels no inclination to be accountable for all of the mistakes he has made. Shows the man's character right there.

The problem with this team IS the owner. He's an idiot.

Posted by: thediesel | October 1, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like true change in management structure is going to be alot further off than we orignally hoped.

Makes me shake my head how someone who is supposedly so smart can actually be so oblivious to reality.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 1, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

A refreshingly honest and direct article. I'd love to work for Dan Snyder because I know I'd make top dollar and not necessarily have o perform my job at a top level.The redskins have way too many players there that believe they are better than they truly are. I'd rather have one Chris Horton than ten Albert Haynesworths. The Redskins need to build a cohesive unit through drafting talented, young, hungry college players.

Let's face it, the better team of the day always wins the game, regardless of bad officiating or bad luck.

Posted by: greggsol | October 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Li'l Dan doesn't get it? You don't say? He's the only one who doesn't. Michael is in the tank for Li'l Dan so being trotted out to try to build some sympathy for Snyderato is sad. Too little, too late and still the organization circles the drain.

Posted by: splitbill | October 1, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

How can Snyder not know people hate him? Does he live in a bubble? He is the most hated man in the D.C metro area, hands down and that is saying a lot with all the politicians etc.

We are a joke compared to other teams in the league. When you think of the Giants, the first thing that comes to mind is Eli Manning and a Great run offense and stingy D. Dallas first thing you think of is Tony Romo and There new stadium. Eagles, first thing you think of Mcnabb, Westbrook and there crazy fans!

Redskins, the only thing hat comes to people minds are the owner and the high priced players he gets with no results. And how we firs coaches left and right. We are an absolute joke to others around the league and IT ALL STARTS WITH THAT LITTLE TWERP!!

Posted by: cromag23 | October 1, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay Czarniak, I'd do her. Jim Zorn? No way.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | October 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I haven't yet listened to the interview. I'm only commenting on what I've read here so far.

George Michael needs to be run out of town on the same bus with Dan Snyder if he thinks anyone is going to buy any of the load of manure he just foisted onto the radio-listening public.

Dan Snyder has owned the team for 10 years. In that time he has turned one of the top-5 franchises of the NFL into a mediocre also-ran.

George. Are you seriously saying that Dan Snyder's main problem as owner is one of public relations? That if we only knew the real man better we would suddenly have this epiphany and realize how much good Dan Snyder has done for the team, for the fans, and for the community?

The question is not whether Dan Snyder wants to win. Of course he wants to win. His whole life has been dedicated to beating the competition no matter the cost or the consequences.

The only questions now is whether Dan Snyder is, and has been, a good steward of Washington's professional football team?

By any conceivable standard the answer is an unqualified "No".

The team loses. The fans are treated like sheep to be fleeced each year at shearing time. Longtime club employees are unceremoniously dumped in cost-cutting measures, then free-agent players are overpaid 10-times the difference and fail to perform. And all the while Dan Snyder refuses to even engage in a discussion of the situation -- let alone take steps to address grievances.

George says, "...What Dan wants is accountability. He wants accountability..." This has to take the all-time Gold Medal for gall. Dan Snyder wants accountability? When, ever in Dan Snyder's 10-year reign in Washington has been accountable for anything related to his football team? Never.

Are we to assume then that it has been the coaches, the players, the fans, and just plain bad luck that is responsible for the current state of football in Washington?

Should we also presume that Dan Snyder has played no part in the laughable product on the field and the embarrassing actions of his sales and legal staff made public recently?

Joe Gibbs apparently took the blame for the deficiencies of some of his assistants. He felt that, in the long run, he was responsible for the actions of those under him. That is accountability. Dan Snyder's idea of accountability is to hire people to deflect the blame from where is so rightly belongs: Dan Snyder.

I could write another ten thousand words on the specifics of Dan Snyder's failures as owner and still only graze the surface. But the time for talking is pretty much over. And the time for cheap shills to come out and apologize for their golfing buddy is most definitely long past. Thanks, George, but the only person I want to hear try to explain Dan Snyder is the man himself. And it better be soon.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | October 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

ummm, why are we talking Redskins, the Caps are back.

Posted by: CelticFCbhoys | October 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"Now, Cerrato's painted as a bozo, but the truth is, what did Vinny Cerrato do for the team? Look at Chris Horton. That's the kind of guy he gets."

Yeah, because Cerrato's record in the draft is so sterling. The man single-handedly destroyed the 49ers dynasty and has done nothing but keep the 'Skins in Mediocreville for the last decade.

Posted by: fufighter2121 | October 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Great post... Always been a fan of George Michael and in my opinion Redskins Report has been sorely missed this year.

Arrington's been mad at the Skins for sure, but remember what led to that... Snyder handled getting rid of him very poorly after showering him with, what I would argue was too much attention when he wanted him to be friends. I think Arrington has as good a view on what Snyder's really like as anyone.

Posted by: rawk | October 1, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry George, not buying it....

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Most of the comments here hit the nail on the head. This was a staged PR move by Snyder, and it failed miserably. George Michael and Larry Michael are the biggest mouthpieces for Snyder propaganda going. Take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 1, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, great pick up Vinny. Now shall we list all the busts he and Danny picked up over the years?

Nothing is more pathetic than going to bat for either of these tools. The article furthers proves everyone's perception that these people have no idea what's going on.

Posted by: Moose33 | October 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

What a load of crap.

Posted by: willgiery | October 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Not buyin what your sellin George. You're another Snyder PR lap dog.

"There IS NO QUICK FIX"

Tell your boys Snyder and Cerrato that. Every March and April, they go out and trade draft picks and buy quick fixes. Snyder and Cerrato are the quick fix artists, so they think. The fact of the matter is they've had 10 years and they still have no idea how to build a winning franchise.

Mr. Wise don't bother interviewing GM again on this subject matter. He's provided zero insight. He's just not credible.

Posted by: anw821 | October 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

So Dan Snyder who made his money in advertising and communications doesn't know how to talk to the media. HA HA. That's rich, George. How about, he's a smug elitist who doesn't care about normal people.

Posted by: lauther266 | October 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

hey - that spray on bronzer/tanner ain't free! george has to be able to afford that and his false teeth! cut him a break!

Posted by: funkey | October 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

What a cop-out. George misses the entire point and manages to duck having to publicly criticize his buddy Dan. The point is, every year it's a case of bad players and bad coaches. So it's irrelevant that THIS year it's Zorn and Campbell's fault.

Posted by: teddyk | October 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, George I just saw a poll where 100 percent of the people who listened to this interview and read this article, think you're completely full of crap.

Posted by: anw821 | October 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

That was the best interview that Mike Wise has had since his show started. If he had let George go on he would have been on for two hours. I think that they have opened the door for a weekly thing.

Posted by: MKadyman | October 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Here George, take this back to your buddy Dan and have him read it....

Dear Mr. Snyder, you've taken a once proud franchise that people (used to) care about deeply and passionately and turned it into an ATM machine for yourself and a laughingstock around the country. You refuse to do anything to right the ship and if anything, each passing season is worse than the one before as far as emmbarassment and fan alienation. You've gouged us to death and put a subpar product on the field. What makes you think you know NFL talent more than any GM in the league? I'd really be interested in your answer.

A Former Season Ticket Holder

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Everyone's got opinions, it's interesting to here GM's. He's wrong about Cerrato, though. He was lucky with Horton.

Here's an example. You know all those receivers he drafted last year who are no good? Well, the Bears (not particularly known for their brilliance) have a guy named Earl Bennett they drafted in the 3rd Round in 2008, who has caught 13 balls for 168 yards so far this season. In 2009, they drafted Johnny Knox in the 5th Rounds. He's got 9 catches for 159 yards and 2 TDs.

I rest my case, George and Vinnie.

Posted by: mike8 | October 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Try comparing Snyder to Ted Leonsis. It's the difference between day & night! When was the last time Snyder had the entire team together out at Pev's Paintball Park for team bonding. Does Snyder belong to Facebook and communicate with the Redskin fans? The problem with the Skins IS Snyder. He's an elitist and out of touch and has NO idea how to run a pro football team. He should have lunch with Ted so Ted can introduce him to "Running Pro Franchises 101"! As Sonny recently said, Snyder is a loser"! A 10+ year Redskin loser!!!

Posted by: dendr | October 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I listened to the interview twice(gotta fill 4 hours somehow). I respect what George Michael did for sports media, but he is a dinosaur who has long been out of touch with reality. He's a joke. Most of what he said was BS and spin. I thought things were capped off when he said he doesn't pay attention to plays.

Posted by: sitruc | October 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

That was a sad piece to read, Steinz.

I actually used to respect George Michael.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Sports Machine, I'm not buying it.

I get this image of Danny-boy sitting at his mahogany and marble dining room table with a hot cup of chai, sobbing and wondering why no one likes him. "I try, and I'm doing the best I can," says the wunderkind. "Why can't this team win, even when I stack it with the best players in the league?"

EEEEEEEEHHHH! Wrong answer! Thanks for playing!

1. Danny may claim he doesn't know what's wrong with what he does, but more accurately, he doesn't WANT to know.

2. Yeah, he's comfortable with making Vinny the fall guy. But why not take it all the way and get rid of him for someone who knows what he's doing?

3. Vinny as a great talent evaluator? Hmm, see "Draft, 2008." Chris Horton? Good, you found one. Let's compare that to Polian, Wolf, McKay, Pioli and others who make a living finding the Chris Hortons in EVERY draft.

4. This organization is screwed up because it has no LEADERSHIP. Snyder has no leadership skills. Sure, he's skilled in marketing and money-making. But to lead, you have to be accountable. Gibbs was the ONLY leader this team had during the Snyder era.

5. George, go back to your ranch in Comus. I can't stand your homerism and your voice. Anyone remember the play-by-play for preseason games with Wilbon? YECH!

At least hockey season starts tonight. LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: paperboy76 | October 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Just letting that linger in the air for a minute.
A decade in, and he doesn't understand what he does wrong.
Wow...Just Wow!

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Amen brother!!!! Cant understand what went wrong!??!!

I thought Danny was an idiot who always had a mouthpiece /bodygaurd/apologist-knee sucker inbetween him and the media..But wow, what a statement. He has no idea how bad he is

Posted by: ocskins | October 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

spin, spin, spin, spin

Posted by: atidwell | October 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"Dan Snyder put his name, his stamp, his reputation on Jim Zorn."
His name means nothing! His reputation is that of a TERRIBLE OWNER. Snyder has nothing to lose by backing Zorn because he has zero credibility to begin with. Did anyone ask George why Dan is suing the fans??? I'll check the podcast... can we stop playing the Chris Horton card? So Cerrato found one diamond in the rough, that's what he's supposed to do! This article doesn't change my opinion of the situation at all, the only solution is for Snyder to sell the team.

Posted by: ZeroHero0 | October 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Thank God we have a guy like George Michael in this town who is no fool AND willing to tell it like it is. People hate Dan Snyder for all the wrong reasons (because of wins and losses and because of traffic getting into the stadium) but if he and Vinny had ANY public relations skills, this town would not only not hate them, a lot of folks might actually like them.

I am a fan of Snyder and Vinny, no doubt about it. But I am in the extreme, extreme minority. I do believe once we start winning, people in this town will get amnesia and quickly forget how much they hated those two men.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Yea Barno, when they start winning it'll be in front of 37 people at FedEx.

Wrong reasons? Which of the 1500 are you referreing to?

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Danny boy needs a General Manager in the worse way--a Bobby Beathard(sp)type and then needs to let the guy run the team. Danny is a very successful business man, but that set of skills doesn't carry over to running a football team. He appears to be clueless in how to pick players, gms coachs, etc.

Te fact that the Skins are making a few bucks for him now, might not continue if the Skins field a team of losers.

Posted by: almelbe | October 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Successful organizations all start at the top with ownership. Look at the teams who have been consistently successful over the last 10-15 years: NE (Kraft), Pittsburgh(Rooneys), Giants (Mara/Tisch), Indy (Irsay) and Philadephia (Lurie). What do all of those franchises have in common? All have an owner who stays out of football decisions and lets their front office/GM run the team and hire the head coach. All of those teams have had consistency in the front office in terms of both their GM's and head coaches.

Each of those teams have a plan and stick to it to build a successful team for the long haul. They don't depend on making splashy free agent signings, overpaying players, or gauging their fanbase for every cent they can make.

Until Dan Snyder accepts that he's responsible for the sad state of the Redskins franchise, the team will only continue to spiral downward and will continue to go through new coaches every 2-3 years.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Barno:

Come on, man. You are solidly in Vinny/Snyder's camp on every single issue no matter how bleak things are. Nobody can be this much of a homer. Either you're getting comped season tickets from the Redskins, you work for the Redskins, or you're related to Snyder or Vinny. I don't know, you remind me of the band leader of the band that keeps playing while the Titanic goes down.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you could possibly be the most naive person on the planet. It's people like you that feed Snyder's greed. You're why Snyder knows he doesn't need to field a winning team in order to pad his pockets.

Posted by: anw821 | October 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm am SO sorry George! I grew up watching The Sports Machine as a kid, loving you on the broadcasts for YEARS!...ONLY...

...to hear this big crock of bad poo spweing from your mouth. Dude, Dan Snyder doesn't care about winning...he's only interested in seeing his investment give him RETURNS!!!!

Don't lie to me George! My brother's name is George and he don't lie to nobody!

Posted by: cbmuzik | October 1, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Who in their right mind would work for Snyder now? Nobody with an once of self respect, integrity or know how would. That was displayed in his last batch of head coach interviews, nobody wants to work for a micro-managing owner. Period. End of story. If you take the truckload of money that Snyder will back up to your house as a big name head coach, you will also be labeled a sell out, because Snyder won't allow qualified football people to do their job. Zorn would make a great high school coach, his "Harry Highschool" rah rah crap just won't fly with professional players. If George Michael is correct with his analysis then he's said what every Skins fan has known and feared most. Dan Snyder isn't even aware that he is the problem. I'm happy I saw the Redskins win in my youth, because since Dan Snyder and I are the same age I'm not likely to enjoy any more Redskin glory days for the remainder of my lifetime.

Posted by: damjammer | October 1, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

It is impossible to say on the one hand that there are "no quick fixes here," and then say on the other hand that Cerrato is a great talent evaluator. If you are a great talent evaluator, then there should be no quick fixes necessary (see Ravens, Steelers, Giants, Philly). If you are a great talent evaluator, then why do you shell out draft picks while simultaneously signing miserable free agents? What a load of incongruous crap from a complete moron.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 1, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

yes I agree with the comments... its spin and its awful. If I hear George Michael say "... and I cant believe im tellin all this truth... " 1 more time!!!

BUT back to that buffalo game and the infamous back to back timeouts ... I DONT CARE who's next to me yelling into my ear "Call another timeout! Call another timeout!!!" I'm the HEAD-freakin-COACH and I have to know thats a penalty! Cripes, im a huge football fan and (unfortunately) a diehard redskins fan but even my dumbass knows the rules about timeouts!

god this rant by george michael has made me sick to my stomach.....

Posted by: Islord | October 1, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Maybe George can come back and do the Skins highlights in slow motion and get all the names wrong. Just like old times.

Posted by: mschmall625 | October 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder HAS a GM. You just don't like him...His name is Vinny Cerrato.

Here's what gets me about Skins fans. For the most part, they love the players we have. They love Moss, they love Sellers, they love Fletcher and Rocky and Griffin and Dockery and Samuels and Rabach and Laundry and Cooley and Portis and Horton and Orakpo and even a lot of us like Jason Campbell. But they hate the people that brought those guys here.

It. Doesn't. Make. Sense. What we don't need is new players, new coaches, new owner, new GM. What we need is patience and giving the team we currently have assembled a chance to succeed. Give them this entire season, free of the extreme over the top criticism. Give them this year, let us see what they can do without having to hear crap from the fans every week.

I'd love to see what the fans have to say if they win 10-11 games this year and make it to the playoffs.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

lol and Michael is giving Cerrato's talent evaluation "skills" credibility because he found 1 gem late in 1 draft in Chris Horton??? Gimme a flippin break dude... For every 1 chris horton we've drafted, there's about 15 busts courtesy of the all wonderful talent evaluator vinnie c!

sigh... i really think im gonna puke :(

Posted by: Islord | October 1, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We need patience? HA! We all need a big bottle of Jack Daniels to watch this mess every Sunday.

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't Wise sack up and challenge any of this crap GM was spewing? Cerrato is great, that Chris Horton pick was all him, Brian Orakpo, Sean Taylor, all him.what about picking that joke punter? What about picking those three receivers who cant get on the field? What about neglecting both lines for years?

GM kept saying I cant believe I am being so honest answering these questions when all his answers were positive Snyder PR spin. Wise needs to dig deeper and blow through all the BS.

Everything I read/hear coming from Ashburn makes me want to puke.

Posted by: whydoIcare | October 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

What "ails the 'skins" is Snyder and his yes men....

Posted by: lovinliberty | October 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrbarno strikes again. You tell your friends at the Park that patience. Has. Run. Out. It's been ten years. Where is the progress?

Don't worry about wondering what the fans will say if the Skins win 10-11 games. Never gonna happen. What will YOU say when the Skins win 6-7? Will we need more patience then?

Posted by: jochpo | October 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"I grew up on George Michael and appreciate what he's done for the community and for sports reporting...BUT...I'm not buying THESE snake oils."

Me either.

YOU CANNOT HIRE A COACH LAST WHEN THAT COACH CANNOT EVEN HIRE THIER OWN STAFF.

Period. End of story.

Dan Snyder has a Napolean complex and that is why Grilliams got the axe.

Snyder is a "meddler" and always will be. He is a complete joke when it comes to football. He cannot let someone else take the reins even after he has run his "hobby" into the ground.

After reading this I have lost ALL respect for George Michael.

Barno...the Redskins will never win until the fire Ceratto and Danny Boy takes a back seat and does his thing from the owners box.

George Michael. Tell Dan Snyder he should idolize Jack Kent Cooke and not the idiot who owns the team with the star on it's helmet in his very same division.

JKC was a REAL owner who hired REAL football people.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 1, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

News Flash: Chris Horton is not very good. Average at best. They have been taking him out of the game, replacing him with Reed Doughty.

Posted by: astrober1 | October 1, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

JKC was a REAL owner who hired REAL football people.

- Ray
______________________________________

TRUTH! Sounds like ol Mr. Michaels is lobbying for his next life...sports politician.

lol...

Posted by: cbmuzik | October 1, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Enough about Horton. Cerrato didn't know a thing about him. Horton was recommended by a college coach. Cerrato couldn't find a football player in the hall of fame.

Posted by: larrypalma | October 1, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jochpo | October 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see us winning 6 or 7 games so it's hard to know what I'll say. I guess it would depend on how that happens. Injuries? Coaching? QB play? Have to wait and see. But again, I just don't see us having a losing record this year. It would totally shock me if we won less than 10 games.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell George that he can go fill Billy Mays spot and start competing with Joe Fowler again? That's about all that ESPNews substitute reject talent is worth.

Posted by: rev_ollie | October 1, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

So, if everyone hates this guy so much and wants nothing more than to have him sell the team and stop using the franchise as an a ATM, why not stop paying for the tickets, $25 parking, $10 beers etc. Just boycott. The team stinks anyway. It's tough love, but the other option is to have this franchise in a comparable position year after year for the next 40 years! If he stops making money from it, he'll lose interest and start screwing up his other investments. Oops, I forgot Six Flags is already in Ch.11!

Posted by: mgrapevine | October 1, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Dan snyder has viewed the redskins as a business from day one. Unfortunately, sports franchises are not all about dollars and cents. They're about loyalty, integrity, accountability, mental toughness - not $40 parking passes and the cajillion advertisements that inundate you every time you sit down at Fedex. If you run a franchise like a business, you're going to have players that treat the game as a business and that don't have the heart required to win. The sad thing is that Dan's about to see that his cost-benefit analyses and present-value calculations haven't made a whole lot of business sense when half of the seats at his enormous stadium are empty.

Posted by: thickman22 | October 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Man I miss the Redskins Report. It was the only show that kept the Redskin's season in perspective. You listen to the 2 sports radio stations nobody knows the history of the team, ex-jocks telling you ra-ra go team go and you don't know anything because you didn't play the game, the other one telling you how he was wronged by the team. The local TV stations with their low budget shows because they rather report about Lindsay Lohan. The only on air journalists on sports radio rather talk about old songs that made them feel good and their social lives. They get a good interview maybe once a month and seem awstruck when anyone who knows anything about any of the local teams because they know so little.

Bring back some substance to the DC sports scene.

Bring back George Michael. Just 30 minutes of George today brought us all into a better more sane focus of our Redskins.

Oh yeah your blog is killer to keep up the great work. I still love my Wash

Posted by: Weave160 | October 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Bring back some substance to the DC sports scene.

Oh yeah your blog is killer to keep up the great work. I still love my Wash

Posted by: Weave160 | October 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

mgrapevine:

I agree. I stopped putting money in Snyders pocket 6 years ago. The Redskins, however, have the most loyal fan base in professional sports and Snyder's knows it. Unfortunately, he'll be able to prey off that loyalty for many decades to come.

Posted by: anw821 | October 1, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Lettuce C ..... For every Chris Horton (the only one of Vinnie's 7 picks in that draft that amounted to anything so far) we have a Deion Sanders, Adam Archuletta, Bruce Smith, Dana Stubblefield, Dan Wilkerson, Jeff George, and on and on and on.

Danny made his money selling his communications company at the height of the dot.com era. I believe the buyers have suffered ever since overpaying for it. Danny has muddled up Six Flags, Johnny Rockets, his Red Zebra radio empire and the Redskins. His track record about running companies and entities and making them successful has been less than stellar these last 10 years.

And I think George Michael is trying to play both sides of the street with his comments. GM is a Danny backer regardless of what he says.

Posted by: bbmcoachk | October 1, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

For George Michael to say that he is friends with Dan Snyder and that, "God, I can't believe I'm telling all this truth," should put the final nail in the coffin of the idea that Michael was ever a journalist.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 1, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: damjammer | October 1, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I've seen this theme in a couple posts now, and every time it gives me a little shock. When I was younger, it was just known that the 'skins were a good team run by professionals. Now, they're a dreadful team run by clowns, and the idea that Little Danny is only 7 years older than me means it could be the rest of my life before they're good again! With any luck he'll just move them to LA, and then we'll get a new team.. kind of like Baltimore.

Posted by: john65001 | October 1, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Why does this town hate Daniel $nyder?

Well, first of all, we're relieved to hear that he supposedly has a conscious and is at least feeling the hatred. But really, do we need to even explain this? Well since you asked...

There are a lot of reasons but I'll sum it up for the lil guy. The primary reason this town HATES Daniel $nyder is because we have discovered he is a guy of AVERAGE intelligence, FAR BELOW AVERAGE character who thinks that he can overcome these major flaws by simply throwing more money than anyone else at EVERY problem - all at the expense of his way too loyal but fleeting fanbase.

And yes, we also hate Daniel $nyder because he refuses to hire a GM that is nothing more than a YES-MAN to his average self.

How to fix it?

1) Before you go to bed every night, look yourself in the mirror and say, "I am not a GM" I am the privileged owner of the Washington Redskins because I helped grow my father's marketing business. This does not make me an expert on football personnel decisions.

2) Before you leave the house every morning, look yourself in the mirror and say, "I am not a GM" I am the privileged owner of the Washington Redskins because I helped grow my father's marketing business. This does not make me an expert on football personnel decisions.

3) Hire a real GM,

4) Get the bleep out of his way.

5) Keep the GM for at least 5 years.

6) Repeat steps 1 and 2 as much as necessary to ensure the possibility of 4.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | October 1, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

...People hate Dan Snyder for all the wrong reasons (because of wins and losses and because of traffic getting into the stadium)...

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Um, no Barno. It's for this gem from King George:
That's it. That quote. Right there. Read it again. Now again. OK, one more time...make sure it sinks in.
Snyder's owned the team for a decade, and he STILL "doesn't even understand the things he does wrong."

Posted by: 4-12 | October 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

A lot of people here are dumping on George Michael for trying to spin for Snyder, and appears to be doing that at times. But the following is the most fascinating and disturbing thing I've read about Snyder:

Dan doesn't understand the things he does wrong? That's frightening if true....

Posted by: TheFingerman | October 1, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I respectfully disagree with you and George on that one. I think Snyder understands what he's done wrong in the past. In fact, I know this. He said he made a mistake firing Norv Turner in the middle of the season and if he could have done that over again, he wouldn't have done it. He has also said he chose the wrong person when he had to choose between Norv and Casserly before the 99 season. He's also admitted mistakes in over-spending earlier in his career and has committed to being a more patient owner ever since Gibbs came back in 04.

My problem with our fans is this. They are still blaming Snyder for things he did 7, 8, 9, 10 years ago...even when he has recognized those same mistakes and tried to avoid making them again.

I think that's a big reason why you won't see Zorn fired this year. In the past, he would have canned a coach for losing to Detroit. Now, it's a more patient, level-headed approach.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Horton just get benched?

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 1, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

What a joke - Snyder is in hot water and trots out Michael. Are you kidding me - Snyder wants accountability and all the front office problems are because no one has any press skills...??? Old man Michael is shilling for this...???

How about Snyder shows some ACCOUNTABILITY for his sorry, no account team?

Posted by: i155133 | October 1, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you're killing me dude. He just spent a $100 mil on a defensive lineman. A guy who never touches the ball and plays 45 defensive plays a game. He dropped dime on Hall this offseason and he hasn't made a play all year. They've drafted 1 offensive lineman in the last 3 or 4 years. They finally draft a young hungry, pass rushing defensive end, and make him a linebacker for cryin out loud. Please explain the patience and level headedness of that approach?

They have no desire to build this team through the draft, because they give those picks away every March and April, so they can overpay overrated veterans. Oh, sorry GM says there's no quick fixes. Apparently, Danny and Vinny are under a different impression. Patience and Dan Snyder do not compute!

Posted by: anw821 | October 1, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Mark this prediction - By Blache taking the blame today, and Zorn not, Blache will be the interim coach if the Redskins do not win two of the next three. It may happen anyway. Blache will be the interim coach, while Danny parades the candidates for his review. Vinny is not a good talent evaluator no matter what George says. Vinny brought us three receivers last year in the draft and not O linemen. That is gross negligence and nothing less. George Michael has provided the pieces to the puzzle of the Redskins possible coaching change THIS year.

Posted by: bfjam | October 1, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

George Michael did a great PR job for Danny today. Since Danny won't speak to his customers directly, he had George do it for him. Can't blame George though, he's an alright guy and remade Washington sports during his tenure at WRC. He and Glenn Brenner at Channel 9 changed Sports news here in DC, OK maybe Warner Wolf did too.
Now George feels compelled to speak out in defense of a billionaire owner who can't seem to get it right for the Redskins? Between George and Sonny they are setting up Zorn for the big fall. Zorn seems like a very sincere man, but he wasn't that good at QB in Seattle, and he may not be that good a head coach.

Posted by: bfjam | October 1, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

CHILD PLEASE!

This is all pretty much contrived. Probably by George Michael himself. George called Snyder Monday morning and said, " ...hey Dan I have a great idea ..."
And Dan let Michael run with this HOT STEAMING PILE OF SH$%#^(&^T!

George Michael and the word 'journalist' should NEVER BE IN THE SAME SENTENCE!

LET'S GO RAVENS!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | October 1, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

sorry, george, not even close. snyder's singular fault we're in this mess. the real sad part is there is no fix because he will never sell the team. this is like the orioles with angelos; only thing to do is don't buy any more tickets; support the team but watch it on television.

Posted by: nolngeraseasontixhder | October 1, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Prescription for all Redskin fans - Versus, Caps on DISH or Comcast. If you can swing it, in HD. NFL Redzone on Sundays, Ravens. DVR (Tivo) the Redskins. This may be a special year for Baltimore - a team with a real GM and an owner whose name I do not see anywhere.

Posted by: bfjam | October 1, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah.. I'm not sure what George M was drinking or smoking but it was sure potent!

How long as Dan S been around?

and George sez that he still doesn't "get it"?

Is Dan deaf/dumb/blind or just on a different planet?

The skins have been through how many coaches including Gibbs?

There is only one person who has not been replaced - right?

he's the problem...

Posted by: larryg1 | October 1, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

If we're preaching patience here, shouldnt we just look back to 8-8 last year? And this year we don't have the advantage of the hot start.

We will play the division games competitive, we always do, but I think 7-9 is a best case scenario.

WE LOST TO DETROIT DUDE

Posted by: jpfterps | October 1, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

If George Michael is correct and Snyder has no idea what he has done wrong, then I believe Snyder and Zorn are the same person. Losing to the Lions, Zorn thinks that the team is improving, while Snyder believes that the last 10 years of his ownership has been sucessful.... How diusional are these two...one individuals? The real pitty here is that Snyder truly may not know what he has done wrong! If he still believes he has done nothing wrong, then the team is doomed for failure until he sells it. By the way, Vinny Cerrato is "capable"? Are you kidding? Chris Horton was a no lose pick. How about all the other picks that Vinny orchestrated? How about the three amigos that can't catch a pass? How about the offensive linemen Vinny never drafted? How about a 4th round punter that was cut mid-season? How about letting Antonio Pierce go to the Giants and letting Champ go to Denver for Clinton and a 2nd round pick? How about signing DHall and Haynesworth? Accountability???? Why doesn't Snyder hold himself and Vinny accountable???? What a joke!!!!!

Posted by: skinfannomore | October 1, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: anw821 | October 1, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

We actually agree on a lot of what you said in the first paragraph. It was your second I disagree more with. I do think management has been showing more patience lately than they did earlier in Snyder's tenure. And I agree with that approach, so sue me. You don't agree with it, that's great.

Don't worry tho, by the end of this season we will all get to see who was right and who was wrong.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Snyders hiring of Zorn was probably the biggest mistake yet... they're totally lost with zero hope.

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 1, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I seem to remember George Michael from when he had that show with Sonny, Wilbon, and Riggins...

He was pretty much ALWAYS the least knowledgable among the four. I do agree with some of what he says, but really, fans can hate The Danny all they want...

If he gets us a couple-three in a row Super Bowls, it's all hunky-dunky-dory. Believe me.

And I agree with his assessment of Zorn's claim that they're improving.

First of all, they're not - not yet anyway.
Second of all, who cares? Ws talk, Zorn.
Thirdly, OK, why do you look like you're about to cry then? I mean, if you're making so many strides in your imaginary score sheet?

BS. And remind me never to become friends with George Michael and relate to him confidentially. Sheesh, buddy! Gossip much?

I can almost see his fake tan, just reading the quotes.

He should have stuck to selling used cars.

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 1, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

George is dead wrong on this one.

On Sunday:

Sections 100 and 200: Fire Vinny:
Sections 300 and 400 answer: $nyder $ell the $kins!!!

Posted by: jburnetti | October 1, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Vinny may be a talent evaluator, but he is not a strategist that can build a team. Vinnie is a scout, maybe even head scout, but he does not have the acumen to make strategic decisions to run the team.

Posted by: cabraman | October 1, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

This is just weird.

Some old fart who lives in Mr. Snyder's pants tells you what you just saw didn't happen.

After this, I think Redskins nation needs to see a good psychologist. You've been seriously abused.

Posted by: tslats | October 1, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

What we want is accountability. We want accountabilty!!!!

Posted by: impeachemall | October 1, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Man, George Michael was/is the best! I remember him stubbling over his words & mispronouncing names. Stand up guy for the way he left channel 4...
i can't believe he said what he said but i believe what he said 100%

Posted by: priceisright | October 2, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

"But Dan doesn't even understand what he does wrong."

There is no PR issue here but clearly there is a Narcissism issue. That would be, as evidenced by the quote above, an inability to self-evaluate.

Again, I know the comments and sentiment of the WaPo commenters don't mean much to a lot of people but it is clear that they diagnosed Snyder's problem (Narcissism) and his incompetence long ago.

Posted by: hz9604 | October 2, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

After 10 years Little Napoleon and his Yes Man Lieutenant come up with Chris Horton and Leron Laundry...OK. In fact, you can probably throw in a couple others. But even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn.

Posted by: hammes3 | October 2, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

If you want to evaluate Vinnie, then go over all the draft picks, not just Horton. George Michael is a shameless shill in this interview.

PR my butt!!!! Look at the G--D---- record George.

Posted by: hz9604 | October 2, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow, George Michael is an even bigger sycophant than I thought possible. And that's with Vinny Cerrato living in the same world. He's either so far out of touch with reality or he thinks fans of the team are morons.

He gives people insight "Danny actually cares!" Well that's an epiphany George. Sally Jenkins gives more insight in one column than Michael has his entire fan-boy career.

Posted by: Leofwine | October 2, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Danny doesn't understand why people hate him?????
We'll let me explain it to him

YOU REFUSE TO HIRE A COMPETENT GENERAL MANAGER CAPABLE OF BUILDING A TEAM WHEN FOR TEN YEARS NOW YOU'VE PROVEN YOU DON'T HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Also you get your sycophants to whine in the media about your lack of popularity and in the same breath blame everyone but yourself for the lack of accountability.

Waaaaaah, Gregg Williams and Schotty were MEAN TO ME!!!! I'm going to fire them because I don't like them rather than do what's best for the team.

Reading an interview about the human side of synder, I really didn't think he'd come off like a even bigger monumental tool

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

What, aside from no firing Zorn already, has Dan Synder done differently recently that he wouldn't have done 7,8,9, 10 years ago? Can you even name one? Oh and given in the interview where GM says "Zorn has to win 2 of 3", I'd be shocked if the first thing holds true all season

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I stopped buying anything that is Washington Redskins. I cancelled my season tickets. I do not want anything that Snyder sells. Nothing.
Look at the difference between the owner of the Caps and the Redskins. He is constantly talking directly to the fans about what he is trying to do. He lets the Hockey guys run the team. Even with the greatest player in the game, the Capitals cannot win without all the pieces.
The ticket situation is completely reversed. The capitals owner keeps back tickets from the law firms and trade associations and sells them to the publc. He does not hide behind 50 butt boys doing his talking. Danny is gone. People hate him. I do not think anyone should do what I do but is the only thing he understands. No more money to the Redskins. None.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | October 2, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

If Lindsay Czarniak looked like Helen Thomas and was as sharp as Helen Thomas she wouldn't be a sports anchor for 4 and doing NASCAR. She got the job on her looks.

I miss her interviews with Bugges. Poor Bugges would always get a woody during the interview.

Czarniak was hired for the same reason Fox has all the hot babes doing news on Fox News and Fox Business. They look good in a short skirt. Check out Rebecca Go Go Diamond on Happy Hour! Short Skirt always and cleavage. Damn impressive set of DD's.
Maybe the most impressive on TV. ANd yeah she is smart but again if she looked like helen Thomas would she ahve the job!

Posted by: vaherder | October 2, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Thank God for Fantasy Football! It's the only thing making this NFL Season bearable. GM bringing up Chris Horton as an example of Vinny's ability to find talent is laughable. He contributed to atleast one touchdown personally for Detroit and was just benched! Snyder must hire someone to run Football Operations and get rid of Vinny for someone with backbone. Otherwise the Skin's will continue to stay in mediocrity. I would rather get rid of everyone and officially start a true rebuilding process. Then the expectations won't be so high and you can see improvements along the way.

Posted by: HelplessinDC | October 2, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 8:09 AM

I find it endlessly comical how delusional so many Redskins fans are in their hatred of Snyder. I've read the above comment in various forms a lot this week. It's sad that these people actually believe that Snyder got a guy like George Michael to go on the air and defend him. Um, no. George Michael did this on his own. Snyder had nothing to do with it.

You people are simply blinded by your hatred of Snyder.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

WE LOST TO DETROIT DUDE

Posted by: jpfterps | October 1, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

First of all, this is not the same team that went 0-16 last year. They have an entirely different defense with completely different players (36 new players to be exact), a new quarterback, a new head coach, and a new mentality. This team isn't going 1-15 this year, that much I can guarantee you.

The loss to detroit will not look nearly as bad by the end of the season. That team will win some games.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Ummm...you sued your fans, and that's just the latest insult.

Posted by: Smiley2 | October 2, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

You people are simply blinded by your hatred of Snyder.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Wow way to completely miss the forest for the trees.

Whether Danny asked George to do this or whether George did this on his own is completely not the point of what I was saying. The reason everyone is "blinded by Snyder hatred" is Dan Snyder demands accountability from everyone he hires but demands none from himself, to the point he won't even address his own actions in the media.

It's sad that there are still delusional fools willing to defend this guy when he's been a monumental failure as an NFL team builder and refuses to take the SLIGHTEST BIT of responsibility for his failures.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 2, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

George Michael comes across as being a babbling old man with more than a bit of senility going on. I'm really surprised that he's so defensive of Snyder, especially after Snyder s-canned him from the radio broadcasts in favor of Larry Michael. However, it appears from other bloggers that George Michael is still on Snyder's payroll. Is this true? Can someone conform this for me and provide the details. Because if ol' George is still on Snyder's payroll, then that explains his odd and misguided defense of Snyder.

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 2, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Yawn for George Michael. Yawn for Mike Wise. Yawn for this pathetic columnist trying to generate buzz. Redskins lose again -yawn. Snyder and his mess don't even deserve interest anymore.

-Former lifelong, die hard season ticket holder.

Posted by: jmissale | October 2, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

---------

LMAO

Posted by: hanimal03 | October 2, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

So if I understand George correctly - everyone is making mistakes, but it's not really anybody's fault because they all care so much.

Don't look for any working corrections any time soon.

It's amazing that one of the strongest league franchises (owner, GM, and coaching staff) is about 45 minutes away and no one in Ashburn can even figure out who to model themselves after.

Posted by: trav1 | October 2, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Attention all RI bloggers. Ignore any and all posts from Barno1, or as I like to affectionately call him - Deputy Barney "One Bullet" Fife.

Anonymous, unnamed, but reliable sources have disclosed that Barno1 is a covert infiltrator working for Dan Snyder. His job is to disseminate Snyder party line misinformation as approved by Snyder's propaganda minister.

His role as a Redskins "fan" is collecting Snyder's paychecks and writing blogs trying to brainwash people into being ecstatically happy with organizational mismanagent and bad to mediocre football results.

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 1, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Barney, I hope we when 14 games, but I'm not going to be schocked if we win less than 10 games.

Remember that we've only won 10 games in 2 of Snyder's 10 seasons of ownership, and one of those years was 1999 - his first year as owner - so he had nothing to do with assembling that team - though he proceeded to completely blow it up in 2000.

My recommendation to you, Barno boy, is to be prepared and make sure your heart is strong enough to handle the shock - just in case we don't win 10 games in 2009.

Another word of advice. I hope you're right and we win at least 10 games, but don't go placing any large wagers on the possibility of that occurence coming to fruition. Unless Dan is willing to cover your marker.

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 2, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I love George Michael, but what the heck is he talking about with Shottenheimer.

Shoettenheimer is a winner and would have made us a big one. He got rid of Shottenheimer for what! Steve Spurrier. No way we should have gotten rid of Shottenheimer. Shottenheimer was right to get rid of Cerrato BTW as well. It's Cerrato's choice of talent that is the problem, not "building relationships".

Posted by: pdo3 | October 2, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rah7p | October 2, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

This is insulting.

Us TRUE Washington Redskins fans trust Mr. Snyder. We have no choice to. This is his franchise, his team, and we as loyal servants must support our team even through this recent tough stretch.

Now I'm as unhappy as everyone is over the poor effort the boys have shown, but heck, I believe better things are coming. And that'll start this Sunday--you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

Mr. Michael is a respected reporter in this town. I like his work. I respect the hell out of his friendship with Mr. Snyder. But his comments are insulting and wrong. The blame cannot be placed on a man who is trying so badly to win. The blame cannot be placed on a man that did God's work by bringing Coach Gibbs back into our lives. The blame cannot be put on a man that brought in the most dominating defensive player in the world in Albert Haynesworth here.

Blaming Mr. Snyder doesn't solve anything. We just need to win. And Mr. Snyder is a winner. He won in business, he's won in football (does anyone not remember the two playoff victories? Hello? Those were special moments that we will cherish forever and the thanks fall on Mr. Snyder for bringing them to us). He'll win. It will happen. I believe it will.

Go Redskins.

Posted by: hahafunnyhaha | October 2, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Good insight? Did he really say anything that we didn't already know? G Michael speaks out of both sides of his mouth. He retracts every negative statement with, "I love this guy." If he really had a bag, he would take one position or the other, no stand firmly on the fence. J Ass...

Posted by: all_star_0013 | October 2, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

hahafunnyhaha:

I don't know if you're making a joke with your Snyder supporting, but in case you aren't, I suggest you get out and start making some friends real fast.

To support your argument, you talk about "how badly Snyder wants to win". That is the same old, tired, played out line that Snyder supporters keep dragging out. If he wanted to win badly, he would do it the right way (hire someone who knows what they are doing). Not his way, which is garbage.

You also talk about Fat Albert Haynesworth. This is a man of questionable morals who came here over Tampa Bay (even though they offered more overall money) not because he thought we were winners. It was because Snyder guaranteed him more money up front. All this does is create a situation where Fat Albert can go back to his pre-contract year state and just exist.

You also talked about bringing back Joe Gibbs and doing God's work. Please, don't insult God by mentioning His name and Snyder's in the same breath. Gibbs was brought back for marketing purposes, plain and simple. Anything else that he brought to the organization was just a bonus. Unfortunately, Snyder learned nothing from the man, and now we're right back where we were in the Spurrier years.

In conclusion, hahafunnyhaha, you should take off your B&G colored glasses, see Snyder for who he really is, and take a step back from the Redskins until Snyder sells the team. I've already started. Many others have, too. Your life and your well-being will be better for it.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 3, 2009 3:16 AM | Report abuse