Green and Backstrom Talk Redskins

"Wins are wins, man," Shaun Suisham told Mike Green and Nicklas Backstrom after he had helped punt and kick the Redskins to that 16-13 home victory. "It's exciting. Different from you guys, we only play once a week, we only play 16 games. So every win is crucial. So it sure isn't pretty, but man, it's a win."

Green and Backstrom were in the Redskins' locker room as media members for Comcast SportsNet Chris Cooley's blog, so they continued to ask questions of Suisham, a Canadian and hockey fan.

"What was your technique tonight with the kicks?" Green asked. "I mean, you were on tonight."

"With the punting?" Suisham replied. "You know, Hunter [Smith] just couldn't go. When you get out there and play someone else's position--like if you had to play goalie or something--it gives you a lot more respect for what they do, when you have to go out on the field and do it."

(Could Green play goalie? "No," he said, "no no no. To play another position? Night and day.")

(As for Alex Ovechkin, I didn't see or talk to him, but apparently he was kicking field goals before the game. Read more on The Skins Blog.)

The hockey-playing duo eventually moved on to different players; I asked Green what the key question of the afternoon should be.

"if I could ask one question?" he repeated. "What are you guys doing tonight, and can I come? That's basically it."

They moved on to Clinton Portis, which was a pretty big get.

"I just wanted to ask you, how did it feel after this win?" Backstrom asked.

"It felt great, especially seeing the team overcome all the turnovers," Portis said. "You know, we continued to fight. I think we fought as a team."

"How about the future?" Backstrom continued. "How do you feel about the future?"

"I think we feel good man," Portis said. "We've got to take it one game at a time. You know, the biggest thing that happened today was for Jason to see that despite what he do, everybody got his back. We continued to fight with him and he can go out and lead this team. Instead of being down if something go wrong...I think he seen today, four turnovers, nobody gave up on him, everybody believe in him, and I think we came together as a team."

(And when will Portis Rock the Red in person? "Next home game," he said. "When's y'all next home game?"

"Thursday," Green said.

"I'll be there," Portis promised.)

Eventually, though, the mics turned back on Green and Backstrom, and they were forced to answer questions. Like, here was Backstrom, on his choice of a Sean Taylor jersey.

"Actually, I got Ovie's," Backstrom said. "I was sleeping over at Ovie's house [Saturday] night, so I just got his jersey. I usually wear Santana Moss. He's a catcher, right?"

And here was Green, when asked his feelings about American football.

"You know what, before I came here, we have the CFL, but I came to a game like this, it's night and day," he said. "So this is my team now."

"It's so small in Sweden," Backstrom said. "First time I went was last year. I just loved it. I was a Redskins fan, like, right away. It's unbelievable, to be here, 90,000 people. And to see the Redskins win, I mean, it's great. It's something you look forward to....I love Redskins, I'm a Redskins fan. So it's good for the team and good for the city, I think, that we cheer for each other."

At least six fans I met were wearing Caps gear and no Redskins stuff as a sign of protest, and tens of thousands booed the team at some point on Sunday. Not Green, though.

"I'm an athlete, so I know what it's like to be booed when things don't go well," he said. "You know, it's not one guy's fault, they're booing the team. But they pulled through, that's all that matters."

Backstrom rocking the Sean Taylor.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 4, 2009; 5:44 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato Will Show You His Super Bowl Rings
Next: Rabach: "We Knew We Were Gonna Win"

Comments

it just seems impossible to dislike this Caps team. They have so much character, they are putting themselves out in the city. The other franchises could learn a lot from this.

-g

Posted by: gconrads | October 4, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I love the Caps even more now because they love the Skins.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | October 4, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I wish the Redskins were as good as the Caps. But a win is a win!! Hail!!

Posted by: wm_mulholland | October 4, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I think it's funny that Ovie hosts sleepovers.

Posted by: donknutts | October 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't it be the Redskins asking advice from the Caps?

Definitely Daniel Snyder should call up Ted and ask him how to run the Redskins organization better and not be such a donkey.

On a positive note... you got to love the solidarity.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | October 5, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

PS Dan, I was of those Redskins fans wearing a Caps jersey that day. When we talked you asked me why I was wearing a Caps jersey, I responded by saying "People come into the Caps center wearing Redskins jerseys so I thought it was ok to come here wearing a Caps jersey." I wanted to see what the response was like and about 95% of the fans were pumped about the Caps and said positive things. 2 people got a bit mad and asked why would I wear a hockey jersey to a football game? I never ask that of someone wearing a Redskins jersey to the Caps center. I guess I wore it to make Hockey more visible to our entrenched #1 washington team. Redskins may be #1, but the Caps are catching on big time.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | October 5, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

@cirrus_nine

Apparently you haven't been to a Caps game in over 10 years...

Posted by: keeef | October 5, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

*snicker* I like the idea of trying to create synergy between your teams in DC but I'd get bored from all the waiting that comes with a football game, especially if you're used to the speed of a hockey game. Eh, whatever works for you guys....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | October 5, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I think DCU's Ben Olsen took a couple fellow players (Fred and someone else?) to a Caps game last year.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 5, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love these Caps. They seem like good guys, they support the other teams in town and Ted couldn't have asked for better guys to market.

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 5, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

It's just impossible not to LOVE the Caps. They are - from top to bottom - one helluva organization. The players are entwined in the community and filled with class. And the owner has done it absolutely the right way. Danny has so much to learn from the Caps organization. I'm sure he will.

NOT.

As a DC sports fan, thank God for the Caps!

Posted by: SteveGaines62 | October 5, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Love the sports crossover. Funny on the sleepover.
What if everyone showed up next Sunday (or next home) "rockin the red" instead??

Posted by: LEM66 | October 5, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse