Inside the Owner's Box

Courtesy FOX News Sunday

Obviously Daniel Snyder has a longstanding policy against speaking to reporters during the season, which means it's hard to know what he's thinking about the bad feelings swirling across the land. But a couple hints came out on Sunday.

First, his wife, Tanya, was on FOX News Sunday with host (and well-known D.C. sports fan) Chris Wallace to discuss her role as the face of the NFL's breast cancer awareness campaign. In addition to talking about early screening and the importance of this initiative, Snyder was asked how she feels when she sees her husband being blamed for the Redskins' problems.

"Well, you know, everything starts from the top down. I understand that," she said. "I mean, I hope and wish the best for the Redskins and for the fans, you know? And I certainly -- he's a number one fan, so for everybody we want the Redskins to do great. Nobody likes to be booed. And that makes me sad. And I just -- I know we'll get it, though. We'll get it."

Tony Kornheiser, meantime, spent the first half of Sunday's loss in the owner's box, and discussed a little bit about the experience and his chats with Snyder during his ESPN 980 radio show Monday morning. (Podcast here.)

"At the end of the first half, Snyder was not where he normally sits for the entire two-minute drill," Kornheiser said. "And I don't know where he was, because he was in front of me. And I chatted with him at great length, and gave him all my opinions as to what should happen, including that Theismann should be the coach. And it is my opinion, and I'll stay with that until I'm proven wrong, and I'm never gonna be proven wrong because it's not gonna happen.

"But at the end of the half, there began a chant--Sell The Team. Sell The Team. Sell The Team.--that everybody in the box heard. The people in the box were stunned. I don't know that he heard it, because he wasn't there, but the people in the box were STUNNED. And I remember saying to him about two hours before the game, 'If you don't understand this, this is falling on you. ON YOU. Not anybody else, falling on you. And he said--and I will share this--he said 'I'm just so embarrassed for the fans, because I do think we have great fans.'

"And I said, 'Well, why don't you say that out loud somewhere?' And then we talked about what you could do or what you couldn't do, but I'm not an adviser to the team."

To his radio listeners, Kornheiser said that he'd fire Jim Zorn in the short term, and bring in a strong general manager in the long term. Whether he said the same to Snyder, he didn't indicate. And yeah, I sort of began to wonder whether Snyder's policies about in-season media appearances would be amended if there were a mid-season coaching change.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 19, 2009; 2:35 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who's to Blame, and What Should You Do?
Next: Zorn "Probably" Will Start Campbell?

Comments

Theismann as coach... I knew I shouldn't have eaten sbarro's.

Posted by: sitruc | October 19, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think that picture of Tanya looks like a slightly younger Hillary Clinton with longer hair?

Posted by: sitruc | October 19, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

===========================================

You know where he was? He was in the coaches booth telling Zorn to bench Campbell at halftime. Whoever thinks that benching Campbell was Zorns call is blind. Not that I think Campbell didn't deserve to get benched....because he did. But I swear, I think Snyder made the call and Zorn followed.

Posted by: FloresFan | October 19, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

No way Snyder continues with Vinny after I read this...He can't bring BIG WILLIES to the luxuary box to hear this.

Vinny's gone!

You can do it Danny!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 19, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

He "wants to win" and is "embarrassed for the fans", yet does nothing to correct the situation...genious.

As for being embarrassed for the fans, the felling is mutual... Were embarrased to have you as an owner.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 19, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like my beer money went to Tanya's plastic surgery.

Posted by: rickyroge | October 19, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Snyder actually meant “I’m embarrassed [for them that they’re behaving this way]” rather than “I’m embarrassed [on behalf of the fans, that they have to watch this dreck that I put together]”.

Posted by: RickyRage | October 19, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

So now the Big Dan is hiding behind his wife's skirt. What a wuss!!!!

Posted by: Vic1 | October 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Who were these people in the box that were STUNNED by the chants of "Sell the Team"? Are Snyder's buddies and yes men so clueless and cut off from reality they don't know this sentiment has been building for weeks (actually years)?

And it's nice that he's embarrassed for the fans, but does he not know that the fans are embarrassed primarily by him and the way he's run the football team? That George Michael statement--"Dan doesn't even know what he does wrong"--seems more true than anyone could have imagined.

Posted by: TheFingerman | October 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Sell the team? In the end it really doesn't matter who owns the team, the players are responsible for the current situation. It's sad when the starting full back out runs the starting tailback. What was worse is that everybody knew when CP didn't get in the endzone it would lead to 3Pts.

Posted by: MidlandMayhem1 | October 19, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

"The people in the box were stunned. I don't know that he heard it, because he wasn't there, but the people in the box were STUNNED."

Later that afternoon, when informed that a black man had taken office as President of the United States, the people were again stunned. STUNNED.

Soon after they returned to their brandy and cigars while perusing 1984 Wall Street Journals to remind themselves again that everything is right in the world.

Posted by: ThisGuy | October 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

seriously, how oblivious do you have to be to be "stunned" by the sell the team chant?

i mean, at the very least, you'd have to ignore the Washington Post...tough to do in this town...maybe you'd have to think that the movement to kick synder out of town was merely a product of the liberal media? oh, wait, corroborated by an appearance on fox news? it makes sense...

Posted by: bacaje | October 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Gee, Tony is on a station owned by Synder....that makes for some hard hitting reporting..He and Wilbon are not even half the reporters they used to be. Thats sad too. One sucks up to football types and the other to NBA thuggery..but they are making lots of money on PTI and the other junk they aere on these days..

Posted by: nowhine | October 19, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

nowhine:

Maybe you should think about it for more than a second. You just got more info than you would have if he said nothing. Now if he's a jerk to Snyder what do you think the chances are he gets in there ever again? And then you would get nothing from there on out. I'm glad for this info, it's very interesting stuff. Good job Tony.

Posted by: REXskins | October 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, they were stunned at the Sell The Team chants? I'm stunned that the owner's box hasn't been soundproofed by now. Who knew?

FloresFan: I totally agree, Dan had JC pulled, no doubt.

ThisGuy: LOL, good one.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 19, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

That 'I'm just so embarrassed for the fans, because I do think we have great fans.' line from Snyder has to be one of the most condescending lines I've ever heard. I would have been tempted to slap him if I heard that.

Translation: 'These nimrods who pay money NO MATTER WHAT to buy what I'm selling are so dense and inbred that they aren't smart enough to see what a great and forbearing owner I am.'

Posted by: playahatah | October 19, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure he's very embarrased (for the fans). What a crock! Any benefit of the doubt you could give the guy was used up long ago. Dan selling the team would be great, but that will never happen. The only achievable goal we have is Vinny Cerrato getting fired. Listening to that idiot try to rationalize our current offense during the pre-game radio show made me feel sick. It's like listening to some burn out high school student try to explain to his professor why he his term paper was so terrible.

Posted by: Andymr | October 19, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

how much for a short time?

Posted by: SofaKingCool2009 | October 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

My message to Snyder is: don't worry about those fans (who are probably embarrassed to tell other people that they support the Redskins), be embarrassed for yourself. For running one of the most storied football clubs in history directly into the ground.

Posted by: jrchris | October 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

He most definitely was in the locker room at halftime telling Zorn to make the change. No wonder he didn't hear the chants. He doesn't mind belittling people behind closed doors (Norv, Zorn, you name it), but he can't stand to be criticized. Pathetic!

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Please fire Vinny. Please fire Vinny. PLEASE FIRE VINNY!!

Posted by: JBuss | October 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree that $nyder made the call on benching Campbell. He made the call on Zorn being striped of play calling. It was he who didn't want the fans who wanted or needed to save a buck and walk to FedEx. A judge told $nyder he couldn't stop pedestrian traffic to and from the game. A Redskins fan can only pass judgement now by BOYCOTTING EVERYTHING $NYDER!!!! I think a stadium full of Eagles fans would serve $nyder right after the way he has treated his loyal fans. And at least his wife Tanya has enough class to talk to the media. $nyder must do what most Redskin fans surely want. He must be the one to except full responsability for the present state of the team. And he should apologize to Coach Zorn for the way he has treated him whether it's private or public. How can you treat people like this and think you can get away with it over and over. For now I will continue to watch and I will hold $nyder responsible no matter what happens from here on out. I know that he will continue to own this team. That said we must do our best as a team of fans and send a message to the owner that we've had enough. And please don't respond by saying the tickets are already sold and so on. To build this team back to a team of respect it will take time. Same with a boycott. You have to start somewhere and I think that process has begun.

Posted by: hessone | October 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg, excellent double entendre with the title "Inside the Owners Box". . . It is nice to know the thoughts inside Danny's wife.

Posted by: WhoSays | October 19, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I agree on the Hillary Clinton comment

Posted by: jpfterps | October 19, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

If I owned the team and my GM promotes a guy who was presiding over bingo games two weeks ago to be the new playcaller, that GM would be gone by the close of business that day.

You don't have to be a genius to figure this stuff out.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 19, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RickyRage | October 19, 2009 2:53 PM

I thought the same thing when I read it.

Posted by: skinswest | October 19, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"how much for a short time?'

Dynam, I have not heard that term since I was in Olongopo near Subic Bay.....

Posted by: nowhine | October 19, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

When Buick sold me the SkyLemon with the bad transmission, bad paint job, windows that kept falling into doors, and numerous other problems - I didn't get mad, I got even. I talked everyone I could out of buying a GM car. It's time for Redskin fans to do the same. Tell everyone you can to watch on TV, don't buy any merchandise, and sell your tickets to the opposing team - on the condition that they buy no merchandise or refreshments at FedUp Field.

Posted by: jburnetti | October 19, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RickyRage | October 19, 2009 2:53 PM

I thought the same thing when I read it.

Posted by: skinswest |

Yep. Me too.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | October 19, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

STUNNED? Now that is funny.....

Did anyone else notice how on the Comcast post game set located outside the stadium gate that they suddenly "lost audio" with no explanation? What happened is they couldn't air what was coming from the fans watching the broadcast off camera. You cannot pay for this kind of self-inflicted humuliation for a more deserving organization. They forced Comcast to "lose audio" in effort to control the outrage.

SELL THE TEAM

SELL THE TEAM

SELL THE TEAM

Posted by: dokane | October 19, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

1. Why the hell would they be stunned?

2. TK is probably never gonna be invited back to the suite again (on other hand, maybe $nyder used him to pass along a message b/c he is too chickensh-it to speak himself).

1. ThisGuy: very funny post!

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 19, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Hillary Clinton? NO!!! A little Heather Locklear going on though. Not bad!

Posted by: BenThere | October 19, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Boycott everything about this pathetic team. Show Danny boy we ain't gonna take this anymore. He and management are awful people and reflect badly on our town. After 40 years of rooting for this team, I've had enough.

Posted by: namelsac1 | October 19, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Stunned? Good!

Dan needs to be sorely embarrassed in front of his friends and family for the wreck he's made of this once-legendary sports team.

make sure you chant the well-aimed abuse even louder at him next week folks, I want everyone crying in that owner's box on MNF for the world to see. nice mirror to show quite clearly what Petty Tyrant has wrought.

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 20, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

STUNNED? Now that is funny.....

SELL THE TEAM

SELL THE TEAM

SELL THE TEAM

Posted by: dokane | October 19, 2009 8:44 PM

I think you have that exactly right. let's make them loose the audio every home game from now on until Snidely has a nervous breakdown and has to sell.

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 20, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I have been a fan of the Redskins sine I was a child, nearly 30 years ago. My home is strewn with evidence of my love of the team stashed away in old shot glasses celebrating Superbowl victories and t-shirts recalling legendary players I loved. I still remember my father hitting the couch in frustration as Elway tossed the first touchdown against us only to watch our Skins march back and pummel the Broncos to give Doug his MVP win.
I will say right now that Dan Synder has made me ashamed. Ashamed. I can no longer call myself a Redskin fan. I look at the winless teams in the NFL and feel jealous. I am jealous and see hope...hope because I belive that at least their ownership can not possibly be as clueless, as self involved, as egotistical as the man who owns the Redskins. My beloved Washington Redskins.
The Skins...Baugh, Riggins, Monk, Green, Jurgenson...my team. Dead. Don't kid yourself...dead.
I live in Los Angeles, a long way from home. I have a surprising amount of friends here from around the country who are Skins fans. To a man, we are done. Emotionally detached. Thank you Dan. We know what you will do. Throw money at a coach. Throw money at a big free agent QB. Throw money. And they will come, sniffing money. We, the dying fans, will get nothing but the echoes of former glories rattling across the brass instruments of a band calling us to war. A war lost before fought. A war lost by you, Dan Synder. The greatest failure in Washington DC sports history. Sell the team. My God, like a ghost calling Scrooge to repent on Christmas I am screaming for you to hear us and repent...Sell. The. Team

Posted by: bdurks7 | October 20, 2009 3:24 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree with bdurks. Only difference is I'm in Georgia. I really really hope they are not dead, but in a vegetative state with the exceptionally slim possibility of a miracle.

Posted by: mdflorals | October 20, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

Snyder isn't man enough to answer for the problems with our team....that's a JOKE!!! If you are responsible, which he is, be man enough to answer questions on why the players YOU chose, why the coach YOU chose can't get it done. Let's think, if there was something good to talk about I bet he would run to a microphone!!! Get a life Snyder, you're an ego-maniac!!! Hopefully the attendance numbers make you change your mind....79,000 this past week, we use to have 92,000!!!!

Posted by: jcrabbe1 | October 20, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Danny Boy,

let me explain how I think a lot of fans feel. We hate you. We loth almost everything about you, you come off as detached from the rest of the world. You come off as a micro-manager. You come off as arrogant and sheltered.

That being said. I think that a lot of us wanted to like you, don't think for a second that the fans wanted you to fail, wanted project Zorn to fail.

And here is the kicker. If you ended your meddling and stopped to listen to your fans, fired Vinny and you stepped back and trusted your football guys, you could still win the fans back.

That Ball is in your court Danny boy, but the pipes are calling.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Well, I spent most of last weekend packing, to move from Oregon back to DC. After listening to the embarrassment, both on and off the field, I'm holding my redskins hat, jacket, et al, debating whether to put them in a box to ship, or a box to send to Goodwill. I'm ashamed that I contributed to the farce by purchasing redskins gear.

S-E-L-L T-H-E T-E-A-M.

This from a 40+ year old man that was reminded occasionally over the years that he came home from the hospital the first time in a Redskins onesie.

I gave up on baseball because of the idiot that bought the Orioles, and I'm damned close to giving up on football because of the idiot that owns the redskins.

Posted by: edward14 | October 20, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

It is difficult to understand how someone as clueless as Dan Snyder was able to earn enough money to buy the Redskins in the first place. I really wish he would sell the team NOW. JKC must be rolling over in his grave.

Posted by: eedchic | October 20, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

There are two people in this world that I genuinely despise. Osama Bin Laden and Daniel M. Snyder. In no particular order.

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hope you all saw this: http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/redskins_hold_press

Posted by: billshah | October 20, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

To everyone going to the Monday night game:

Keep the chant up- SELL THE TEAM, SELL THE TEAM, SELL THE TEAM.

Imagine if this chant got as loud as the WE WANT DALLAS chant from the glory days.

That ought to give Snyder a taste of just how embarrassed all of us long time season ticket holders are.

And Don't but anything inside the stadium.

Posted by: sickaboutit | October 20, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Have we all forgotten what the definition of insanity is "Do the same thing repeatedly and expect different results" Apparently with all his business acumen Dan was never taught that small little phrase. You would have thought by now someone would have suggested therapy? It is painfully obvious that little boy Danny isn't ready to put the toy down!!!! How many years will it take before he realizes that it all starts with his rediculously enlarged, over massaged, childish ego! Dan please figure it out soon. You have taken a good thing and ruined it, because of that ego. Did you ever play football other than in your mind, because you certainly don't understand the game or what it takes to win on the field. From one lifetime Washingtonian and Redskin fan. Please put the toy down and allow someone that is qualified to play with it now! You own the team for crying out loud, isn't that enough, let someone else do the part you are incapable of and you will ultimately reap the rewards!!!! Oh and by the way, please fire Vinny, today. Jim and Jason it's not your fault, granted neither of you are the answer. No one will ever be able to win until Dan goes or accepts reality. How do you accomplish in one decade what has taken Al Davis decades to accomplish, the biggest loser in the league!

Posted by: onesadredskinsfan | October 20, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: onesadredskinsfan | October 20, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey, who was that quarterback that looked rather promising during the preseason? Is it too late to bring him back, or has some other team, one that is not poisoned by Snyder picked him up?

If only Snyder could sell stock in the team, give the stockholders each a vote, and let us all elect a real GM and retire little Danny to chairman of the board. That would allow him to make some money and the fans to control the destiny of the team that should belong to them, not some filthy rich fantasy creep.

Posted by: Sooner1 | October 20, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Owner, if you love something, let it go!

Posted by: levgon22 | October 20, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sitruc | October 19, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, a little, but Hillary has not had any plastic surgery . . .

Posted by: swanieaz | October 20, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse