Jason Campbell Describes Sherm Lewis's Role

Jason Campbell's weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's LaVar and Dukes show Monday produced several highlights, but I guess this was my favorite. Campbell was asked about Sherm Lewis's role in the offense, and what impact the consultant had in his (admittedly extremely short) time with the team.

"Uh, truth be told, honestly, I have no idea," Campbell said. "I see him out on the practice field, standing back, watching, probably overseeing things, but I haven't really had a conversation with him just yet. I have no idea what his plans or what he was doing [Sunday] when he was at the game. So you know, from that standpoint, I couldn't even answer it. Because honestly I have no idea."

Jim Zorn's official explanation went like this: "It's still early, but I am working on some assignments for him. He's very willing. He's trying to get up to speed; he's really devoting a lot of time to playbook and video to do that. And as he gets the terminology down, then he'll be able to speak on it more freely. He certainly will be utilized in many different ways."

(For a brilliant essay on these eyes, see Tracee Hamilton's column.)

Speaking of those two men, here are their most recent takes on the offensive line carnage. Here's Zorn, from Tuesday's appearance on The Sports Fix with Sheehan and Loverro.

"I think we can be effective running the ball with our group in there, our offensive linemen, the replacements of Chris Samuels, of Randy Thomas," Zorn said. "We have put guys in there that are really doing a fair job in run blocking. Our main concern is protecting the QB. But in our run blocks, we've whiffed or missed a block here or there, but I like our run game, and it's going to continue to improve as we go along here. I've got real confidence in that."

Confidence! Sweet! And here was Campbell's view, given to LaVar and Dukes:

"When we lost Chris [Samuels] it changed the whole dynamic of our offense, because there's certain plays we couldn't run....When you don't have that experience there like you did with your starter, it's a tough situation....It's tough. You know, it's definitely tough. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't, but we've got to find some kind of way to get through it and some kind of way to build confidence in whoever is in there. We've got to find some kind of way to stay positive."

Finding some kind of way to build confidence! Less sweet! Sour, even.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 13, 2009; 2:19 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orioles Still Get More D.C. Viewers Than Nats
Next: Gilbert Arenas and Dwight Schrute

Comments

Really Zorn? It hasn't been effective so far this year but it's going to get better with O-line replacements? I want whatever he's smoking.

Posted by: JulzDC | October 13, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

Well what is a head coach supposed to say? Our line has sucked since I've been here, and with our injuries now, we don't have a prayer with our backups. Every coach, regardless if he's sincere or not, will display confidence in his reserves

Posted by: akjproductions | October 13, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else see the obvious MASSIVE flaw in here?

Jim Zorn is giving Sherm Lewis tasks. WHAT???????

No, it should be the front office directing Sherm Lewis. And the mission should be broad in nature, with the emphasis on improving Jim Zorn and to a lesser degree, the coaches staff.

Jim Zorn shouldn't be giving Lewis tasks. Jim Zorn IS the task.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The obvious MASSIVE flaw is the FRONT OFFICE

Posted by: akjproductions | October 13, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

heard JC on the Levar show. He almost let some things slip when Levar asked him about him not being able to perform up to par as though the organization is holding him back during a contract year perspective.

Posted by: simplewords999 | October 13, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"It's still early, but I am working on some assignments for him. He's very willing."

Sherm, after you get my car washed, some of the replacement O linemen were asking about getting a Bingo game going in the film room, take some of the pressure off. See if you can make that happen, OK?

Posted by: eyestreet | October 13, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Of course Campbell has no Idea... he is clueless and needs to be benched. It will be good ridance when his @$$ is out of here. Sherm should be telling Zorn "you are stupid to go down in flames with Campbell as your QB". Jimmy Johnson is laughing at you on the air moron! do us all a favor and bench yourself you suck!!! and as a result the rest of the offense looks as if they should be out of the league too. Look at the tape from 07... the oline sucked; receivers couldn't get open; the offense was not nfl caliber UNTIL... you weren't in there any more

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | October 13, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Has the fact that the offensive line has been so poor the past few years helped prolong Jason Campbell's career? He and Zorn has basically used the excuse of poor protection or not given the right amount of time. However, wasn't Todd Collins given the same offensive line and thrived with the longest winning streak for that season? At that time, we were told that Todd knew the offense well enough to look better, but then the question was why wasn't he given the chance to win the starting job, like Cary Collin in Tennessee, and why were we forced to have Campbell forced down our throats? If they both learned Zorn's West Coast offense at the same time, then why not try Todd Collins to see if there is a difference? Like Steve Czaben of WTEM says, "Never Wrong" Zorn will never admit Campbell is a failure.

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 13, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy JC's latest excuse. He stunk out the joint long before the o-line went bad, and will continue to stink long after the line if fixed. The guy just don't have the tools to play well in this league, and never will. How many coaches have been fired on his watch already?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 13, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

So you lose an offensive tackle to injury and your whole game plan changes?? Now I think I have heard everything....unfortunately I probably have not.

Posted by: hz9604 | October 13, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I think we just need to punt.

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Litte Danny's short stature is the cause of all the Redskins problems. I think if Vinny Cerrato was fired today, there isn't an NFL team that would employ him in any capacity.

Maybe Cerrato can work the Ferris Wheel at one of the bankrupt Six Flags Amusement Park that the evil midget bought.

Posted by: nativedc | October 13, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Well I am a Cowboy fan but I do have to say this.....Everyone is throwing J.C. under the bus. Not saying that J.C. isn't part of the problem but wasn't it the defense that gave up 17 unanswered points? Why don't they get ripped like J.C. does?

Posted by: jacob21703 | October 13, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse