Jimmy Johnson Rants About the Redskins

This was definitely a week for national media members to tee off on the Redskins, and Jimmy Johnson took full advantage during Fox's pre-game show. In a mostly pre-taped segment, Johnson decided to savage the D.C. organization.

"My assignment this week is to fix the Redskins," he began. "Well, I tried, back in 2003....

[Cut to a 2003 flashback, with Johnson saying, "Dear Dan, I have three words of advice: Blow It Up," while a sunglassed Snyder pumps his fist.]

"And nobody in Washington listened," the present-day Johnson continued. "What could have been fixed six years ago now needs to be completely rebuilt. So here we go.

"When analyzing a team, you have to look at the positive and negative. Head Coach Jim Zorn, he's not good enough to do the work that lies ahead. That's a negative. The scouting department, they're trucking around the country doing their job, but no one in the D.C. office is trusting their work. That's a negative. Salary cap situation. Well, that's a negative.

"The team is bloated with high-priced vets. So, how 'bout the team's veterans? While experienced players are often valuable, if they have too many miles on their cleats, then it's a negative. Clinton Portis is towards the end of his career, and DeAngelo Hall's contract was a big mistake. Albert Haynesworth is a phenomenal player, but he came to Washington as slightly damaged, but very expensive goods.

"On the other side, how about young, up and coming players? Hmmmm. Can't think of any. Say it with me now: That's a negative. Then there's the quarterback. Jason Campbell is not championship material. Hey, check this out: Neg-a-tivo. Since the roster isn't where it should be, the Redskins need extra draft picks to rebuild. However, they don't have any right now. That's a negative.

"To get any marks in the positive column there has to be a drastic philosophy change. I would put every coach and player on notice. In the next three months, EVERYONE is fighting for their jobs. Realize that a great 53-man roster is what wins championship, not five or six high-priced stars. Dan Snyder builds his team like it's fantasy football, and that's a big negative. The Redskins need a GM who can prevent Snyder from making decisions, while letting Snyder think he's involved. Who can work that magic? I don't know. Hey Washington, you didn't want to listen to me six years ago. Can you hear me now?"

"Now a positive," Johnson said back in the studio. "Washington's got great, I mean great fans. But those pig noses and dresses? That's a negative."

"Real quick though, man, you're killing Jason Campbell," Michael Strahan interrupted. "I know as a guy going against him, everybody respected him. He's had different coordinators, philosophies, getting traded. Give him a chance. I think he's talented. I don't think he knows himself, but they don't know if he's a running quarterback, a scrambling quarterback, a pocket quarterback."

"How do you spell fired in Washington?" Howie Long asked. "C-o-n-s-u-l-t-a-n-t."

Then someone asked Johnson whether he'd accept a Bill Parcells-type offer to fix the Skins.

"Hey, I said in the piece, I don't know who can work the magic," he said. "Not me."

Of course, at halftime, the Redskins were ahead 10-2.

"With the Redskins, I said they've got some veteran talent," Johnson said, running backward as fast he could. " Now, I've got to say, what inspired them? Did bringing in Sherman Lewis, did that inspire them? Or did the altercation between Portis and Sellers, did that inspire them? I like to say my piece inspired them."

"Are you gonna do a little piece on how to fix Carolina?" Terry Bradshaw wisely wondered.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 11, 2009; 2:36 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hunter "Hamster" Hobson and the Ironman
Next: The Redskins' Disappearing Timeouts

Comments

The overall analysis of the Redskins by Jimmy Johnson? That's a negative.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | October 11, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Lost to the Jags; that is a negative.

Posted by: CrabHands | October 11, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

To Dan Snyder (a big negative)--Take a cruise with your Cruise and sell the team!

Posted by: taf4 | October 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst Skins team I have EVER seen. Snyder is the WORST owner in the game. Luckily for Oakland, Al Davis will kick the bucket sooner than later. 1st Detroit no Carolina. Who wouldn't like playing this Skins team. They are the laughing stock of the league and media alike.

Posted by: oneft2dice | October 11, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

This team sux from top to bottom...

Posted by: M20832 | October 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley's gotta be the lone positive on this team, right?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 11, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

ALL I want for Christmas...
"The Redskins need a GM who can prevent Snyder from making decisions, while letting Snyder think he's involved."

Posted by: massiveBrains | October 11, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

JJ is exactly right. The Redskins organization is pathetic. It will never change unless and until the owner gets serious & hands the reins to experienced, proven football minds who know how to build a team.

Posted by: harrelsonw | October 11, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I hate this!!!

Posted by: hessone | October 11, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy nailed it. Snyder runs the team like some fantasy clown. The organization is rotten from the head down.

Posted by: EnoughISEnough | October 11, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

MR. SNYDER IS A DESPICABLE, REPREHENSIBLE MAN OF HUBRIS.

Posted by: redskinfan4life1 | October 11, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Nothing will change in Washington until Snyder is gone. You know he'll never hire a real GM and give him real power. If Snyder had it in him, he'd have done it by now. Little Danny wants to win or lose his way. As we've seen for a decade, it's lose.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | October 11, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey DANNY BOY,
GOOD JOB IN CHANGING MY SKINS IN TO A COMPLETE MESS, YOU #@MB @@S. YOU MAKE ME SICK. DO US ALL A FAVOR, GO JUMP IN THE POTAMAC RIVER AND TAKE VINNY THE IMP WITH YOU CLOWN!!!

Posted by: joe12341 | October 11, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd say this, but Jimmy Johnson was right on target. Daniel Snyder has turned one of the most honored franchises in sports into a joke. Maybe after this dreadful season, he will learn his lesson, get a good football man as GM, and get the hell out of the way. But I doubt it.

Posted by: StevefromSacto | October 11, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

That offensive line depth really came through today. Who was that dude who came in for Samuels?

Posted by: jpfterps | October 11, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Cowboy and even I am embarrassed for the skins fans. Sorry guys, we were really looking forward to a good rivalry.

Posted by: jacob21703 | October 11, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Snyder know "z..t" about football; he knows how to milk $$ from fans.
He'll never change.
Skins will join the O's, Nationals, Wizards as the perennial bottom dwellers @ their profession; they do excel at providing golden parachutes for has been vets.

90% of the offense will not be missed.

Posted by: ricklee1 | October 11, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to Detroit, east. Been that way for five years. Gonna be 5 more before we even have a chance, if things could get straightened out. Look at the different franchises and ones that are successful DO NOT have head coaches that are also the GM. New, high price coach will not work. Come on, Danny, give us a break. Interview, cede some control, get on the ship with us and we would even like you.

Posted by: Justlistening | October 11, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, here we go again. SSDD.

We are a mockery.
It is really bad when your most hated rivals feel sorry for you.

I will not beat my head against a wall forever so this is my last post.

I will still support and root for my beloved Redskins but as long as Danny Boy remains incompetent and Cerrato is here I will recluse myself from this nightmare.

At least we have great memeories of good times with friends and family, watching and rooting together for our team when it had heart and inspired us.

May we all meet again in happier times...
until then...
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
FIGHT FOR OLD DC

Posted by: REDSKINRAYINCA | October 11, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Synder will on the team until he dies. That will not be in my lifetime. Jimmy Johnson hit the nail on the head with a 20 sledge hammer.

I have a feeling the "positive" great fans may not be such a positive for very much longer.

Rats...get off the sinking ship while you can. The paper bags are coming out soon!

Posted by: rbsavage3 | October 12, 2009 7:15 AM | Report abuse

top to bottom... this team is a negative, everyone knows it, and it is a f'$%king shame.... blow it up and start over!!!!!!

Posted by: tommycat | October 12, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The Raidskins

Posted by: No_Quarter | October 12, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

It has all been said, until Danny boy figures out that his knowledge of football just isn't there, we will continue to be the bottom feeders of the league.

Posted by: wlawson64 | October 12, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Fans BEWARE: Mr. Snyder is a business man. He focuses solely on cash flows and the bottom line. The Redskins organization generates the highest cash flows in the league while earning an excellent return on investment. Mr. Snyder, the bussiness man, is laughing all the way to the bank. Why change anything?

Posted by: CooleyFan | October 13, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Dan , You cannot win a SUPER BOWL with OLD stars from other teams[ Deion, Bruce Smith,etc.] Draft young players that love the game and create your own future stars.Do it the right way and earn the respect of the REDSKIN FANS.

Posted by: kenobill | October 13, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse