Mark Cuban talks about Dan Snyder

Because I honestly do feel bad for the people who want me to be doing what I used to do, I'll keep apologizing and promising that I'll do that stuff again. I just want to write about this right now, because it's fascinating to me. All our other beat writers will continue writing their stories and doing their blogs, and there's no chance I'll keep this up for weeks.

But in the spirit of accountability and customer service, I'm sorry to those who really hate this. Speaking of which, did you see the e-mail from Browns owner Randy Lerner, when informed that fans would be protesting?

"On the grounds of frustration and irritation with performance, then that's the medicine I (we) are going to take, and I accept that," he wrote.

Perfect, perfect response.

Anyhow, I've been meaning to post Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's thoughts about Redskins ownership, offered up earlier this week on Mike Wise's radio show on 106.7 The Fan. Obviously, a lot of people have a lot of very strongly held feelings about Redskins ownership that pre-dated this season, but the level of vitriol this year is certainly unprecedented.

Now, is that because ownership has appreciably changed its behavior over the past few months? Or is that because the team is obviously stinky right now?

Does the distinction matter? I think it does, because if it's the latter, then if the tides turn and the team starts winning next year or the year after, all this stuff might disappear. Maybe not entirely, but to some degree. I don't know how I come down on this issue, but I think it's absolutely a possibility. And, as blog commenter Barno1 often says, if current ownership brings home a Super Bowl, all will be forgiven by a massive number of Skins fans. Here was the exchange between Wise and Cuban:

Wise: "Do you know Dan Snyder at all?"

Cuban: "I've met Dan and talked to him and we get along great."

Wise: "There was this perception, not just by David Stern and the old school way of thinking, but there was this perception that this guy [Cuban is] a little too meddlesome. He's over the top. How did you change that perception, and what would be your advice to Dan Snyder in that regard?"

Cuban: "Well, I don't know that I changed that perception. You know, anybody who owns a professional sports franchise has had some success in business, and the biggest mistake that I've seen any of them make is rather than just do what got them to the dance, they try to change to fit what they think the public wants to see. And I certainly never changed. The way I'd done things had always worked for me, so there was no reason to change.

But there's a lot of luck that's involved. I mean, you can point to the Redskins and jump on Dan Snyder, gut you can also point to 20 other teams who haven't won a Super Bowl or been to the Super Bowl and nitpick them. I think what it comes down to, whether it's the NFL, the NHL, maybe less so Major League Baseball but definitely the NBA, it takes luck. You know, smarts combined with luck. The Lakers have got to be able to get Pau Gasol in that deal, they've got to have the nerve to trade for Kobe Bryant and make it work. The Cowboys ... they're 1-15 and the Cowboys decide to go with Troy Aikman and that leads to future Super Bowls. And then they get the Herschel Walker trade as luck and that cements those Super Bowl teams.

I just think Dan wants to win so badly, SO so badly, that it sometimes comes across as meddlesome because they haven't won yet. If they had won--let's just say they had drafted the right quarterback, they had drafted Matt Ryan or whoever, the young quarterback coming out. And that's not to say that their current quarterback isn't going to get the job done, but the Redskins just haven't had that superstar at the quarterback position that I think can carry them. And if they had, you would hear less or talk less about Dan Snyder, and he would be the guy who transitioned, took over and did a great job."

Anyhow, I'm going out of town for a few days for Halloween, and probably won't post anything. We'll see what next week brings. And sorry again to the longtime readers who hated this week.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 30, 2009; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder gets tarred and feathered
Next: Arenas masks, Snyder costumes, and more

Comments

Steinz-

I'm sure you're taking heat for being Redskins-obsessed and overly negative, but in my opinion covering the Skins story as you have for the last two weeks is the right thing to do. It had to be done, it serves the interests of the local sports community, and nobody else could do it and reach a huge audience. This is the story in DC sports this month; the Wiz and Caps will have the limelight from January until hopefully June. Thanks for the outstanding work the last couple weeks.

On this post- I can't believe how many people like Cuban continue to think the revolt is just about the losing. Sure, winning would fix everything ... but losing with respect to your fans/customers instead of disdain would fix a lot of this too.

Posted by: Fozzie1 | October 30, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping for something more inflammatory from Mark Cuban.

Dan don't stop posting Redskins hate related material. I don't know where you're getting the impression that people are tired of it, from the comments I've read the vast majority are in favor of airing out all these issues until they get attention from the team management.

Posted by: REXskins | October 30, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Dont appologize for the extra Skins material Steinz. Football is the only sport that matters. All others are inferior. I wish you would put this much Skins material up all the time, I would read it all the time if you did that.

F Hockey
F BBall
F Baseball
F Snyder!

FIRE CERRATO!!!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 30, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why you continue to feel the need to apologize for your Skins coverage. It's the middle of the season, and it just so happens to be the most monumental screw up of a season that I've witness in my 24 years of being a fan.

If you want Caps news or Wizards news then look elsewhere for now. DC is the Redskins, whether you like it or not.

Posted by: TC13 | October 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Unlike earlier comments from Ted Leonsis, Cuban dropped the ball. He failed to address Snyder's real issue: a poor (or non-existent) plan for long term success on the field.

As he said, winning takes luck, but the luck doesn't matter if you don't have a team ready to seize on it.

Posted by: smutsboy | October 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Agree with others that sticking to this story has been appreciated, and frankly your journalistic duty anyway. Also agree Cuban's take here was generic boilerplate.

Posted by: brad40 | October 30, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Boy, Dan, you don't feel at all apologetic when you spend weeks posting Caps or Wiz stuff without ever mentioning the Nationals.

I don't gripe (much) about that, because you've always maintained a "the story is here" attitude. Well, Dan, the story is here. Go with it.

Posted by: Section506 | October 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

People are angry because the team is bad AS A DIRECT RESULT of the way the team is managed and has been managed for the last 10 years. The recent additional irrational behaviors (banning signs, t-shirts, chanting) has only added fuel to the fire. Had Snyderatto addressed the offensive line in the draft or as part of the free-agent spree, the losing Thomas and Samuels MAY not have resulted in the current disaster we now see week after week on offense. Their insistent focus on the "instant fix" and "if we only had THAT player" and total lack of a long-term strategy (at least one that anyone with half a brain could discern) to improve and grow the team has repeatedly failed, and will continue to fail. Until Snyder fires Vinny, hires a REAL NFL-Caliber GM and takes a giant step backward, this will not change. The fans have figured this out and are not taking the impending long-term mediocrity that will ensue either quietly or sitting down.

Posted by: drmammal | October 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"I just think Dan wants to win so badly, SO so badly, that it sometimes comes across as meddlesome because they haven't won yet. If they had won--let's just say they had drafted the right quarterback, they had drafted Matt Ryan or whoever, the young quarterback coming out."

But that's the whole point - the Redskins are inherently incapable of drafting the right players because they are run by fools. It's like saying that if the Redskins had only scored more points they would be 5-2 instead of 2-5 right now. Wanting to win isn't the same as winning.

Posted by: simpleton1 | October 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"If he got lucky and picked the right players?"

That's kind of the whole point, isn't it? He's not picking the right players. He's not picking the right players because he shouldn't be picking the players at all. He should have a GM who picks the players, and knows what he's doing. Vinny doesn't.

Also, there's an obvious difference between basketball and football reflected in Cuban's comments. In basketball, one or two players really do make the difference between a championship team and a dud. In football, it takes much much more than that.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 30, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: smutsboy | October 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

EXACTLY. The Skins were handed a tremendous amount of luck this season - facing SIX STRAIGHT WINLESS TEAMS. How did they capitalize on it? Going 2-4.

Posted by: Daspig | October 30, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Cuban presents a chicken or egg scenario where he says if we had drafted matt ryan things could have been different...but is it the players or the ownership that is driving the direction of the franchise? If ownership is creating an environment where there is no real drive to win or heart in the team (which i believe it is) then who is to say, had we drafted matt ryan, that he would turn out to be the matt ryan he is now? Maybe if the falcons had drafted campbell we would be seeing his face on the gilette commercials. Enough great athletes have gone through the redskins depth chart in the past 10 years that i think its pretty safe to conclude that no matter how good a player we get, the talent will be wasted and the spirit of the team will remain corrupted.

Posted by: nick87 | October 30, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Mark Cuban is a P.O.S. His feelings for a fellow P.O.S. are amusing though. Two despicable (and very short) guys who got "lucky" and sold at the height of the tech bubble. Neither can get out of his own way, and every year they both mortgage the future of their franchises by trading draft picks for over-the-hill high priced free agents. So far though, Snyder has Not made movies depicting U.S. soldiers as belligerent monsters though, so at this point, Cuban gets the edge as the more despicable human being...and that is saying something.

By the way, if you havn't done so yet, get a copy of the lastest Rolling Stone. Matt Taibbi wrote an article absolutely blasting Dan Snyder - calling him the Worst Owner in all of pro sports. It is articles such as this, and this blog that give us hope.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | October 30, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure this weekend we'll be reading about the attitudes in Western New York towards bringing signs into stadiums. Anything to keep beating this story into the ground.

On the positive side, the Post can change the name of this to Redskins Sports Bog, since Dan has now joined the rest of the Post staff on the Redskins beat full-time.

Posted by: bermanator34 | October 30, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Cuban has a funny definition of "luck". I'd say that most of those moves required skill in terms of talent evaluation an negotiation.

Posted by: tha_prophet | October 30, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

If Mark Cuban ever thinks our 'Skins are going to win a Super Bowl under current conditions, or that all the team needs is a star quarterback (I think Chicago right now is showing you need a lot more than a gunslinger QB to succeed) and "luck" to improve, then... it's like that line in "When Harry Met Sally": "I want what he's having." :D

I too enjoy the Bog, and I'm all for continued 'Skins coverage. I've seen national media picking up the sign-ban stuff, and I don't think they'd have caught on without all the bog coverage here.

Posted by: blackjack65 | October 30, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I for one am sick of hearing about how much Dan Snyder loves the Redskins. It's interesting to compare his passion to Cuban's.

Cuban is a guy who never shuts up. He interacts with fans, the media, and everyone else. He might be an idiot and a bit of a clown, but you get the impression that you could just sit there and talk basketball with the guy all day.

Does anyone at all get that impression about Snyder? I'm sure he's happy to talk about the game with the millionaires in the owner's sweet, but nobody will ever confuse him with a Joe-the-Fan type like Cuban.

Posted by: bryc3 | October 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

very true bryc3.

also, cuban has his players' backs and supports them in games, in the media etc...

all the redskins front office does is throw players and coaches under the bus.

Posted by: nick87 | October 30, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Mr. Cuban but Matt Ryan wouldn't do jack sh!t behind the current offensive line that Vinny-the-D0uche and Danny-the-Commie have assembled.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 30, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Cuban is a big-time azzi no surprise there.

I agree with Simpleton that "the Redskins are inherently incapable of drafting the right players because they are run by fools."

The foolishness is an ongoing saga, but the core never changes. People are fed up from 10 years of cumulative abuse. It's impossible to isolate this years' experience. Dan Snyder is the reason the Redsksins are losing. The Redskins are losing because of Dan Snyder.

Is your question more a theoretical one -- what if the one-in-a thousand came true and the Redskins under Snyder got lucky and won a Super Bowl? Seems too academic a question to ponder...

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 30, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I am a Washingtonian who is not a Redskins fan. (I'm a casual football fan who does not root for any team in particular.) In the ten years I've lived in DC, I've never followed the team more closely than this year.

Suing fans who can't afford their season tickets due to the economic downturn? Hiring an offensive consultant without telling the head coach? Making that new guy the play caller a few weeks later? Banning signs and t-shirts at the stadium that are critical of management? And then claiming that the fans aren't critical of the team, the WashPost is just making it all up?

I've never seen anything like this in any professional sports franchise. Not even from the Oakland Raiders.

I've wondered whether Snyder is doing this craziness deliberately as some sort of viral marketing campaign. But how would that generate profit for the Redskins?

I don't know, but you should keep covering the story until we find out.

Posted by: g2aj-vflb | October 30, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what Cuban thinks -- he's just a leftist moron who finances anti-American propoganda -- Jeez

Posted by: bestmick1 | October 30, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks tomfoley1 for your excellent, pithy post. I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: bestmick1 | October 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Sure I think Vinny is a tool as well.. But I think we all know Danny pulls the most strings and Vinny is the messenger/yes man. I think we hate Vinny for one... being a no talent hack, but most importantly for being a sniveling knee suck yes man to King Danny. We all hate brown nosers

Posted by: ocskins | October 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Cuban and Snyder are different animals. Cuban is in the stands every night interacting with his customers. He makes frequent media appearances. He seems accountable for his team.

Cuban also doesn't understand the Redskins' predicament. This isn't as simple as swapping out Jason Campbell for Matt Ryan. This is about the league's worst offensive line, age, lack of depth and terrible, terrible drafting.

Name the last Pro Bowler Vinny Cerrato drafted. Name the last guy he found beyond the first round that would start on a championship team. If someone mentions Chris Horton again I'm going to scream. Vinny is a clown and Snyder keeps him around because he's the only GM in the league that will let Dan play fantasy football with a public trust.

FIRE VINNY!
SELL THE TEAM!

Posted by: drischord | October 30, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

bestmick1,

Go back to your bunker. This is a sports discussion; save your fascism for the proper venue.

Posted by: drischord | October 30, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Mark Cuban sure isn't the role model for a successful owner.

I wonder if he thinks that people like the Rooneys, the Maras, Bob Kraft in New England, and even our own Jack Kent Cooke don't want to win as much as Dan Snyder. Of course they do. The difference is that they have the good sense to hire good, smart football people to run the team and then get out of the way and let them do their jobs.

Until Dan learns that lesson, we are doomed.

Posted by: StevefromSacto | October 30, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The Plan:
1. Dan Snyder, study the ways of Jack Kent Cooke. After implementing The Plan remove yourself of all On Field Decisions including Player Personel, The Draft and choosing Coaches.
2. Get Vinnie Cerrato away from the Football Team. Have him do anything that is not associated with the team.
3. Hire Bill Cowher as your General Manager until he is ready to take over as coach and have whoever he wants as GM working for him, not you.
4. When you hire him make only one suggestion. He should have Joe Bugel or some one else that he feels better with, to watch the Big 10 and Big 12 to suggest to him each year 8-10 free agent big strong and somewhat moderately fast linemen to sign the day the draft ends. This man's job would only be able to find the beef where we have a Whole Hogg Defensive line and Offensive line in a couple of years.
5. When in doubt, refer to Rule 1.
6. Then you will have time to polish your Super Bowl Trophies and Rings.

Posted by: dickpulley | October 30, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg, I've completely appreciated your blog and I agree with what others have said. You've got to go with the biggest story in town right now. If Wiz, Caps, Nats, or United start a Gestapo style crackdown to muffle fan dissent-then I'd expect to read about nothing but that for a few weeks.

As for Cuban, sure alot of building a team is luck. In the NBA, a Kobe Bryant or Lebron falls into your lap and you're instantly a perennial contender.

However, in the NFL, building a superbowl caliber team involves building a minimum of 22 reliable starters, with 30+ players capable of performing if necessary. The odds of someone, with no demonstrable football insight, putting together a 52 man football roster that is capable of contending........pretty damn unlikely.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 30, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I think Cerrato should be promoted. He is, after all, a delightful radio host.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | October 30, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Dan Syder took a dump and Vinny Cerrato came out. That is all.

Posted by: ralston21 | October 30, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

sorry misspelled 'Snyder', but you get the idea. guess i should use that handy preview function huh?

Posted by: ralston21 | October 30, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I believe the fans are not mad at Dan Synder for losing, in fact we all would actually be feeling sorry for the man for spending all this money and not having a winning product.
We are mad because Dan for running this team as his fantasy league. If he was serious about winning he would have hired a real general manager and let him pick the head coach and players that know how to win.
If he was serious about winning he would have noticed Vinny;'s draft selections and hired him.
If he was serious about winning, he would have realized it was him and Vinny that don't know how to evaluate coaching talent. you can't hire a person that has never put on a head set, to be good enough to coach a profession league.
He is serious about making money and knows that ever bad press is good, as when the team does turn around he will get even more rich from us.

Posted by: hs66 | October 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I think we all know it's just not a matter of drafting the right players but of creating a football culture in which drafted players will succeed. Malcolm Gladwell's great article on the seemingly random nature of the success of first round QBs goes to this point

It matters much less what a QB has demonstrated in college than the culture they are brought into. Even the best players will flounder when brought into the wrong situation. We always talk about how Baltimore and New England and Pittsburgh have such success just choosing players -- but perhaps the real credit is in how the management of those teams has created environments suited for success. This is why we are so upset, that many are seeing for the first time the hopelessness of a team instilled with a losing culture, that can only bring in coaches themselves comfortable with a losing culture or too weak to be agents of change.
Double G made Danny uncomfortable for precisely this reason. Schottenheimer, too. I'm tired of people talking about how much Danny wants to win. If a QB has a losing record over ten years, is a bad teammate, and makes demonstrably horrible decisions. who cares how much he wants to win. If he has demonstrated time and time again that he will act the a$s with pitiful outcomes on the field, it's time to can him. I've gone from thinking a GM will solve the problem to believing Danny has to go. The question is how to make him sell the team. Drag his name through the mud until he does?

Posted by: positiveforce | October 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Much respect to Randy Lerner for his statement and attitude as it relates to the fans' displeasure. That's how it should be done. Kudos.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 30, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Let's turn FedEx into a giant anti-Snyder sign:

Posted by: A1232 | October 30, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'll give Mark Cuban a pass because he doesn't closely follow the Skins and, as a fellow owner, he's never going to bash Dan Snyder.

But anyone who thinks the only thing standing between Washington and a Super Bowl is that they didn't draft a star quarterback is either a moron or has no idea what he's talking about.

I would submit that even if Washington did draft Matt Ryan, he would not be having the career here that he is enjoying in Atlanta. No quarterback could succeed behind an offensive line that gets you sacked a half-dozen times a game while also not opening any holes for the running back. Even if Ryan could execute the offense better he'd be on injured reserve by Thanksgiving.

So, thanks for the thoughts, Mark. If we want your input on how to turn things around here, we'll let you know.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | October 30, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Others have pointed out the fundamental differences between managing NFL and NBA teams.

I also disagree with Cuban on another point. This isn't all about the wins and losses. A perennial playoff team can get away with treating the fans badly to a certain degree. But the underlying bad behavior destroys the relationship with the fans, so that things get ugly when the team loses.

The current "revolt" is the result of the fans being treated like garbage for ten years. It's not any one thing, and even firing Vinnie Cerrato won't fix the problem unless the overall mindset of the organization becomes based on pleasing the customer. Until fans are treated as something more than cash cows, the Redskins will gradually lose fan support unless they suddenly turn into the Patriots/Steelers on the field.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 30, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Poster dickpulley hit the nail right on the head!

Posted by: ntlekt | October 30, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

In a twist of fate, Cerrato hits it big in the DC Lottery and buys out Synder to own the Skins and uses Synder as the GM to do his bidding. Synder must now go on radio and draft Vinny's decsions. Wonder if we would do things differently if Vinny owned things?

Posted by: ocskins | October 30, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, if luck had favored the Redskins then Snyder might be the most popular man in DC, giving interviews left and right, hosting his own call-in show, schmoozing with the fans on the mezzanine, still charging adoring, willing fans 10 bucks a carload to watch practice.

But it didn't, and real character comes out during adversity. So we see his and his organization's true character - secretive, bitter, controlling, jack-booted, lying, disloyal to employees and customers.

I'm sure DS is a fine Hail-Fellow-Well-Met guy on the golf course when hob-nobbing with his brother wizards like Cuban. See how he treats his inferiors, his staff and customers, for the measure of the man.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | October 30, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Dan, don't let up on this story for a second. The on-field stuff is now entirely secondary to the story of how this organization treats its employees, how it lies to the press and public, and how it employs KGB tactics against its fans.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | October 30, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

There is a fundamental difference between the situation and accomplishments of Mark Cuban versus that of Daniel Snyder. Cuban made a perennial loser franchise called the Dallas Mavericks to a 50 wins per season power house. Snyder made a proud franchise that was going through a temporary rough period and set it backwards even more. Right now, the only thing that these two men share is Cuban's cigar!

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 30, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Waaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Many Redskins fans are just spoiled children with a sense of entitlement. When Gibbs (a football man) was here and took the team to two playoff appearances in four or five years , people were still whining and crying and the press was still hyper-critical. They complained that the game had passed Gibbs by. They complained that Mark Brunell wasn't good enough. They complained that Gregg Williams was too arrogant and didn't communicate with his assistant coaches. They complained that LaVar Arrington didn't get enough playing time. Best fans in the world my butt. Biggest crybaby fans more like it.

Posted by: sonny2 | October 30, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I wondered why I saw Mark Cuban on the sidelines before Monday night's game.

Posted by: dickersonc | October 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

These are unprecedented times. A real fan revolution is underway, so keep covering it (think as if you were an underground dissenter in China trying to get the message out). The [excrement], pettiness, amd mean-spiritedness being spewed out by $nyder's minions (from the signage censorship, the absoulutely ridiculous and double standard policies, TailGATE, and outright lies) MUST be covered! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 30, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

That's some lame lame crap from Cuban.

The problem w/ Skins organization goes waaayyy beyond being frustrated about not winning.

We're talking about allocating resources to build the team in a way that is fundamentally flawed.

We're talking about Snerrato undermining the people they hire in head-scratching fashion.

We're talking about suing fans.

We're talking about gestapo tactics in the stadium.

We're talking about Snyder totally alienating a fanbase that has been loyal to the organization for decades.

Posted by: p1funk | October 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Cuban's point is well taken...I mean we were a bungled snap away from the NFC Championship in 99', a Carlos Rogers INT in 2005...it does take luck....BUT great teams create their own luck. We are not a great team.

As far as negative press coverage...I think some of it is over the top, and some of it is journalistic. When you don't win, this is what you get, and Snyder has not built any goodwill to sustain this, but he needs to reinvent himself.

Snyder will NEVER be able to please fans, but he needs to worry about building a good football team.

Many of these so called "fans" are fair weather anyway...screw em'.

Posted by: rickyroge | October 30, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

There's no need to apologize for this. To me, this is the "sports in popular culture" blog, or the pulse of the city blog. Right now the Redskins are the talk of the town and deserve the coverage.

As for Cuban, I like him. He seems to be a straight shooter and he talks his mind on his blog, on TV, everywhere. He's Ted Leonsis with a little sharper edge.

Lerner at least acknowledged the fans are upset personally. We'll never get that from Snyder.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 30, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Dan, thanks for the pub on the show. Bill and I appreciate it. I agree with most people -- nothing planet-shattering. The rest of Cuban's interview was actually better than this, including the Kobe vs. LeBron answer (he liked LeBron) and his comments about okaying steroids someday. Those were wild. I think it's on the Website podcasts. Have a good weekend. Get some rest.

Posted by: MikeWise | October 30, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Can we PLEASE stop using the phrase 'Dan Snyder wants to win'

I hear it from the 'talking heads' on both tv and radio and nothing could be further from the truth.

'Ill Doouche' doesn't want to win, he wants to win HIS WAY, with his ass backwards methodology of running the show from behind the curtain with Vinny and Karl and the other cronies doing his bidding instead of hiring a competent FO staff and letting them do their jobs.

If that happens, then HE doesn't get the glory to feed his ego. He cannot stomach that Riggo and B-Mitch and Lavar and all the disgusted and frustrated former players, former owner (JKC), and loyal fans are RIGHT and he is WRONG. Meanwhile, his Gestapo troops continue to poor customer service to their paying customers and further the rift.

No one who wants to win goes about it like this...

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 30, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

But there's a fundamental problem here in that Cuban is confusing desire with smarts. He's right that you need smarts and luck, and then (seemingly) defends Dan by pointing to his desire to win, which has nothing to do with either. The thing that's driving us all insane is that Snyder demonstrably does NOT have the smarts to field a consistently quality product. Not saying he's dumb in a low-IQ sense, just in the blind-to-his-own flaws sense.

Posted by: FPLDan | October 31, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Steinz,

You are certainly within your right to feed the engine right now with all the Redskins talk.

However, as a non-Redskins fan, I don't want to read those stories and, while usually with give you clicks for stories about which I'm not interested, I generally stop at all Redskins-related stories.

Here's hoping that we get diverse coverage in the future and your clicks remain high.

Posted by: metatext | October 31, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

After seeing the activities over the past several weeks and especially those undertaken by the Redskins management and the overall condition of the team. I think that it is time to do something about it. Snyder can take away our signs, eject fans with what he considers offensive (to him) tee-shirts, and all of the other actions they have taken. I emailed the Redskins over a week with a collobarative approach to re-engage the Redskin fans and show that the Redskin Management really does give a damn about its fans. What did I receive???? Nothing, absolutely nothing in response. An attempt to try to engage the Redskins management to work with its fans was apparently blown off. What can we do??? I am going to try to organize a protest that Snyder and his cronies won't be able to stop. Instead of signs, tee shirts, etc. Let us show our Redskin fan solicarity by refusing to sit down in our seats at kickoff. Instead we can stand in the concourse and wait. Maybe sing some Redskin songs but make it clear that we won't be treated that way. I will need your help to spread the word. He can't make us sit down and when the TV sees a substantially empty stadium at kickoff, it will send a powerful message of the strength of the solidarity of the Redskins fans. I ask that everyone who attends participates and spread the word. We have 2 weeks to get the message out and hopefully we can get buy-in from the Redskin fans. So I am asking for your help in achieving this goal. Everyone can be free to go to their seats after the first couple of plays but let's show our solidarity. I am hoping that Steinz will get the word out from his blog and get this party started!!! The new age of the Power of the Redskin Fans!!!

Redskins Mike!!!!