Note to Skins: Eagles started 3-3 last year

When things look bad on the scoreboard, it's always a good idea to look toward history for some inspiration. Things are, indeed, rarely as bad as they look at the moment, and the long view can help.

That said, you might as well choose accurate examples. Within the past 24 hours, at least three well-known Redskins employees have said the team should be buoyed by the knowledge that last year's Eagles rebounded from a 2-4 start to reach the NFC Championship game.

Clinton Portis, on Tuesday's John Thompson Show: "Philly was 2-4 last year and went to the NFC Championship game. Philly did that as a team. I'm sure their fans was killing them, the papers was killing them, but somehow, some way, you've got to keep searching and keep trying to find a way until you find it."

Phillip Daniels, on his blog at TheHogs.net: "If Philly started 2-4 last season and made the play-offs then why can't we do the same thing this year?"

Larry Weisman on Redskins Nation: I don't have the exact quote, but it was something like "The Eagles were 2-4 last year...and how'd that work out?"

It's a great sentiment, full of hope and optimism. Only problem is the Eagles actually started 3-3 last year, which winds up being better than 2-4 in most scoring systems..

Also, their three losses were by an average of 4.7 points, and their three wins were by an average of 19.3 points. The Redskins haven't won a game by 19.3 points yet, inasmuch as they haven't technically scored that many points in any game thus far.

But does that mean hope is lost for the 2-4 of the world? Heck no. Eagles aside, six NFL teams started 2-4 a year ago, and one of them--the Dolphins--actually made the playoffs, finishing with an 11-5 record and earning a home playoff game. So switch out "Eagles" for "Dolphins" and fire that optimismator back up.

Of course, the five other 2-4 teams a year ago finished with an average of 5.2 wins, but never mind all that. That's negative talk. Let's quote again from Daniels's blog, which is worth a read.

I did notice that the stadium had a lot of empty seats. I guess there is really a difference between a fair weather fan and a die-hard fan. Die-hards will be there no matter what the weather is or the record is. They just love their burgundy and gold and support us no matter how things go. Fair weather fans do just that, show up when the weather is good and on occasion wear bags on their heads. I feel that when someone wears a bag on their head that you can count them as the opponents fan because they definitely don't bleed burgundy and gold. Fair weather fans will also give up and sell their tickets, which gives away their support, but I guess if you are not all in you cannot help the team anyway.

So bear that in mind, anyone planning a bagout this week.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 21, 2009; 6:07 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sherm Smith discusses the distractions
Next: John Kent Cooke says dad would be "appalled"

Comments

Now you're using Bog comments as Bog articles? Are web hits really like heroin?

Posted by: Section117 | October 21, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Here is to + + + Spin / Outlook:

Having read the above post about team's starting 2-4 or 3-3.

This should give us hope and light to see thru.

I am sure that the Redskins will finish strong against the NFC east, Denver, etc, and end up with a 11-5 record. I mean Denver only beat SD by few points, SD has Norv Turner as coach, (he was so bad with skins that we are still feeling his impact) and Phillip Rivers is no Drew Brees.

Our offensive line is so much better then the d-lines we will be facing. Go Hogs.

Plus who else has the continuity like the redskins, how come haters always bring up the Patriots, Colts, and Pittsburgh. I really can not stand the Penguins. How tough really is Sid the Kid Crosby?

Positive thinking = 11-5 and a home playoff game against the vikings....b/c the viks will fall apart the last 8 games..with Fabre throwing lots of INT's.

:-)

Posted by: hunter32 | October 21, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@117

Yes. Yes, is the answer.

But seriously, if I can churn out copy from home, get mondo traffic and satisfy everyone I work with, why would I change? For the NBA preseason? I'd be happy to write more stuff about the Caps right now, but....ideas? Anyone?

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | October 21, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

This is awesome, in the sense that "awesome" means "incredibly pathetic."

Good grief with this team...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Whoops... I didn't mean that I think the Bog is pathetic, I meant the "Eagles started 2-4 last season" meme's having been adopted by the entire Redskin organization is pathetic.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

oh, phillip daniels...he apparently doesn't understand that die-hard means that we will do anything that will right the ship, not merely comply with the orders from above. (even when not watching a game is borderline painful for most of us)

the die-hards are the very ones who want to fix the team, and if by boycotting it gets done, then so be it. my allegiance is more than game by game and season by season. it is, in fact, even more than owner by owner...

Posted by: bacaje | October 21, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

It was something I wanted to say about this, related to being precise in your statements and execution on the field, but it escapes me...

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 21, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget that Norman Einstein was a patent clerk before he invented electricity.

Optimism will win the day.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 21, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

But I'm pretty sure the Eagles didn't start "2-5" last year.....

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the teams with worse records didn't spend 150 million in the offseason on two players and didn't have the easiest schedule in the history of the NFL to this point...

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 21, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Mike James shot a left handed free throw yesterday and missed by several feet. Are you telling me that Brendan Haywood wouldn't have something interesting to say about this?

Nick Young and Javale Mcgee and Caron Butler play basketball in DC. All of them are more interesting than anyone on the Redskins not named Cooley or Smoot. That of course includes Larry Michaels.

I can't take any more of the current form of the Bog. I click on all your entries to see what they're about, but I'm not even finishing more than 1 or 2 a day lately. Maybe start posting some of this stuff on the Redskins Insider blog so that I don't have to waste my time reading about stuff that's more blog than bog?

I love this Bog, but what's all this focus on clicks about? If I click on a web page, have it load, but then immediately close it after I see what it's about then that doesn't make you any money. The site has to pay for the bandwidth I used, but I didn't click on any ads...

Posted by: Hobes | October 21, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to philip daniels for defining what true fans are. I'm sure he wouldn't go play somewhere else for $1 more. If he thinks his words are going to shame people into going to games, He should consider that if the teams shameful play hasn't done it, his words don't stand a chance.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 21, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Are you a fairweather fan or a "burgundy and gold bleeder" if you boo the Redskins simply because they didn't cover the spread and you gambled on the game?

That's exactly what happened for 'Skins #1-Fan, Barno1.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | October 21, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Well you've got...

2 Caps infringing on your turf with websites and twitter machines,

Another who went from Hershey to South Carolina to Washington to South Carolina,

Their coach is about to "drop" a book,

A World Cup qualifying game at RFK last week filled with more superhero costume wearing people than at Comic Con...

Off the top of my head. For what it's worth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge the work of the online correspondent; I'm a fan, you're good people, and I can relate to the difficulties of getting content happening.

But I think that doing a Bog post 3 weeks ago about Caps coverage, and then approximately 526 Skins-centered posts since then (note: numbers could be wrong) is a bit much, even if I like the schadenfreude associated with it.

Posted by: Section117 | October 21, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Apparently I'm a "fair weather fan" because while I pay $1440 for season tickets, I often don't go. Mostly, because it takes 4 hours+ round trip, costs $25 to park, another $20 or so to get drinks and food. I still watch... every game even though I'll probably get ulcers. I rarely sell my tickets but do often give them away, sometimes to opponents fans I'm friends with. When I have sold them, I have never gotten over face value. Phillip Daniels, who gets paid handsomely to go to the games, can bite me. And so can Dan Snyder, of course.

Posted by: filmjoy | October 21, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Philip, save your patronizing... Your blog is full of nothing but bromides - "there is no "I" in team", etc... How about "When the going gets tough, the tough get going?" That's a good one from the Nixon era. BTW, I have bled Burgundy and Gold from the Johnson Administration. How freaking dare you question Redskin fans loyalty! I had to stop my son from throwing a sneaker at the tube in your loss to the lowly Chiefs. Redskin Playas, call out to your balls, they really miss you. And Danny and Vinny? Congrats, you have turned one of the most loyal fan bases in the world into a collection of haters. Danny (DEATH) be not proud.

Posted by: obxfannings | October 21, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Daniels is confusing a die hard fan for an immortal fan. After 17 years of mediocrity and ten years of Snyder, the die hard fans are slowly but surely, dying. And make no mistake, the deaths have been hard.

Posted by: Tank2 | October 21, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Here's another picture on one of the faces of Zorn yesterday-

Posted by: RedCherokee | October 22, 2009 3:25 AM | Report abuse

f phillip daniels. what the media scapegoating didnt work so now their after the fans. this really is dan snyders team.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | October 22, 2009 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Caps are down in ATL tonight...where some claim "Unleash the Fury" originated. Could be a story there.

Of course I've already sent you an email Steinz. If these Skins bogs are increasing your traffic (which I assume they are) and in turn, your bosses at work are pleased (which I assume they are), then by all means, keep em coming.

By the way, tell JF I need a QB this week and to offer me a trade.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 22, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

"where some claim "Unleash the Fury" originated. Could be a story there."

---

He did a story on this already last season.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 22, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Found it, good read:

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 22, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I haven't read all the comments yet so maybe I'm repeating someone else. And maybe I'm just stating the obvious. But even if Philly started 2-4, they didn't have a team put together by the Vinny and Danny show or a coach who is out of his element.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | October 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Nats FAIL is quaint and reassuring when contrasted with Redskins FAIL

Posted by: Kev29 | October 22, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Yes Philip Daniels, the Washington Redskins will win 7, 8 or 9 of their final games against: Philadelphia, at Atlanta, Denver, at Dallas, at Philadelphia, New Orleans, at Oakland, N.Y. Giants, Dallas, at San Diego

Philip Daniels you are a fool. And you are a small symptom of the very large problem at Redskin Park.

Posted by: templetontherat1978 | October 22, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse