Peter King and Adam Schefter on Zorn Story

As you've already read, Rick Maese and Mike Wise reported this morning that three Redskins players said if Jim Zorn is staying he should get a public vote of confidence to end the distractions. Now the national media stars are chiming in to say that such a vote is unnecessary. This is from Adam Schefter's Twitter account:

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder doesn't owe his players an explanation on Zorn's future. It's simple -- he wins, he stays; he loses, he goes. Snyder didn't even have to say that -- anyone could.

Peter King was on Tony Kornheiser's ESPN 980 show this morning, and he said much the same thing, without the 140-character constraints.

"Tony," King began. "No matter what Dan Snyder would say, he could come out and write it down, 'Jim Zorn's my coach for the rest of the year, we're not making a coaching change!' Well let me just say this, if they lost to the Kansas City Chiefs and then got embarrassed by the Philadelphia Eagles, you tell me, you think that Dan Snyder absolutely is gonna keep him the rest of the year? So I don't care what Dan Snyder says now. It's in the actions, it's not in the words.

"And as far as the way the players are thinking now, I don't blame them for wanting to see something said in terms of loyalty about their current coach. But at the end of the day, a player is putting his actions on tape for whoever the coach is going to be next year or for whoever his future employers are....So let's just say it's DeAngelo Hall. I mean, if DeAngelo Hall starts giving up out there, he's costing himself money, he's a fool. So it doesn't matter who the coach is, these guys have got to play."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 15, 2009; 3:10 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caron Is Washingtonian Style Star
Next: More From Theismann, Doc Walker, Matt Bowen

Comments

It would be nice if Snyder came out and said Zorn will be the coach the entire year, but I agree with King, it's not necessary.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 15, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

MEMO FROM THE FRONT OFFICE TO THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS FOOTBALL TEAM

Gentlemen:

It has come to my attention that some of you are questioning the front office's commitment to winning.

In as much as I respect your right to have and voice an opinion, I really think you should concentrate on beating Kansas City and leave the business of running the front office to me.

To wit, I for one am sick and tired of all of the countless excuses for why you can't seem to get it done -- because of something that I (allegedly) have not done.

I even begin to think some of you may have confused me for that jolly fat fellow that slides down chineys on Christmas eve delivering presents to all of the good little boys and girls. For example:

Clinton continues to yap on incessantly about his (former) glory years -- as if there's nothing to play for any more. He also hints that there may be some dissent in the locker room, although he's not certain, because he continues to spend way too much time in the jacuzzi with me.

Jason spins up a new set of excuses every week about why he can't seem to score points or win games; why he needs a better protection or plays; more time to make and complete his reads; more respect and compassion from the coaching staff, a personal psychological counselor; a ballet coach to help him get his rhythm, footwork and throwing motions down, etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

Coooley tells me he wants better music played during practices and (another) smoking hot cheerleader to keep him warm at nights.

Fat Albert just wants to eat, sleep and ride around in a golf cart (again)... at least half the time.

DeAngelo continues to offer multiple excuses why he can't even tackle an old white quarterback with bum knees.

Meanwhile, Collins, our old white quarterback with bum knees has been practicing his Rodney Dangerfield routine -- and frankly, I don't think he gets or deserves any respect either.

Moss and El both want to borrow my elevator shoes to go up for passes.

Orakpo just wants to play a little more DE...

Sellout just wants to be left alone...

Medium Jim seems to have his game film projector set on an endless loop of futility -- and wants a rule book for Christmas.

And so it goes.

All in all, gentlemen -- I want to assure you that I have heard you, even if I don't necessarily agree with you. But regardless, I really think you should just focus on the next game -- and leave the business management, hiring and firing decisions to yours truly.

Otherwise, you just might wake up to find a lump of coal in your stockings.

Love
Dan and Vinny

Posted by: Vic1 | October 15, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about it $nyder is loving all of the buzz surrounding him and the Redskins. EVERYONE REPEAT AFTER ME - SELL THE TEAM - SELL THE TEAM - SELL THE TEAM

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

That has a nice ring to it - "Sellout Sellers".
Thanks $nydie.

Posted by: hessone | October 15, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Redskin fans attending the game this Sunday....During the Rock and Roll Part II song, please direct your "hey...you suck" at Dan $nyders booth. Spread the word.

Posted by: timchadwick | October 15, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

...does that mean DeAngelo Hall hasn't started giving up yet? He might get worse? Dear Lord.

Posted by: hubcap | October 15, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I hear Snyder wants Gruden. Great...he may have an acumen for offensive THEORY, he's proven to be horrendous at talent evaluation(as coaches and GM's often have different objectives). One hand washes the other, we still need a proven GM, no matter who the next coach is.

Posted by: Donald8 | October 15, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

If the players love zorn so much, just win baby.

Posted by: jmy999 | October 15, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Me and my husband have always been Redskins fans. I don't think Dan Snyder is the problem or Jim Zorn. I think we need more players on the team who are young and hungry for a win. I think our players are over paid and aren't concerned if they win or not because they'll still get paid. Either bring in some fresh meat or start sanctioning some of the players. If I have to hear one more slick comment from a Dallas Cowboy fan I'm going to scream!!

Posted by: kimblow1 | October 15, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have John Kent Cooke's phone number?

Posted by: motiongrfx | October 15, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Public endorsements from management is meaningless. I've heard such endorsements before, followed by a firing a short time later. Stop worrying and just win, Baby!

Posted by: VegasJim | October 15, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

When Snyder brought in "extra sets of eyes" for Gibbs with Al Saunders, it wasn't the kiss of death for Gibbs. I don't fault Snyder; I fault Cerrato. He is a sub-par GM who has no ability to identify o-line talent. If you're looking for a whipping boy, he's the one.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | October 15, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | October 15, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Um, Snyder had nothing to do with bringing Al Saunders in. That was all Gibbs. Don't try to re-write history.

As for Vic1, it's not that I disagree with you that makes you so annoying. It's that you have somehow convinced yourself that you are funny and clever and witty when you are anything but. Please do not make any more attempts at humor, it's just embarrassing.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 15, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 15, 2009 8:22 PM

This needed to be said. Third time we've agreed this season Barno.

Posted by: mack1 | October 15, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

King is right. "...it doesn't matter who the coach is..."

That's all he really needed to say.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | October 15, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes, a statement from Snyder would make a difference, it would settle the locker room a bit and allow more focus on KC.

And it does matter who the coach is. Tin-Tin isn't motivating anyone. He tries to bond with the overpaid children on the roster with iTunes playlists and gives afternoons off as he tries to figure out how to keep the ship afloat. On the fly. And he doesn't appear to have a natural affinity for it.

Guys in his position spend years in tutelage and have been groomed from an organizational standpoint. Zorn gets to worry about every little f-ing detail on game day. He needs to worry about the team "system" and the offensive game plan and both are hard enough.

The worst choice for HC would have been some college coach Snyder fell in love with and there just aren't that many Scientologists coaching colleges, most are Baptists.

So it could have been worse, but Snyder is demonstrating that he knows f-all about football by promoting Zorn anyway. Most QBs would make bad selections for HC positions because they are isolated from the foundational line up and hit aspect of the game that cannot be emphasized enough - and with Samuels gone we can see why.

The thing is, Zorn probably would have made a fine offensive coordinator. And he probably still will, just not in DC. Hell, he may have even made a good HC eventually with an average offensive line and once he figured out that he does in fact have to be a little bit of a hard ass. It's not his style, OK, but he needs to make it his style to some extent. This is what galls me about Zorn - this whole stay medium philosophy is incredibly frustrating.

Good for Shawn Springs becoming a walking highlight reel on a winning team before his time was up. And good for Evans, having earned his way out of the Skins and onto an ascendant team. I say this as we're shopping Montey, who like Evans will go on to star on a good team - home grown talent, depth on a line? Who wants that?

Dan Snyder does not want to let anyone else play with his shiny toy or show him how it works. If there ever was a tale about knowing your limitations . . . I don't doubt that he's a Skins fan through and through. It's just that some people deserve to be slapped across their cherubic faces, have their glasses knocked off and pointed at in the face and stared down. BACK OFF, TURN IT OVER TO A TRUE GM.

Almost out of breath - If you must go to the game, avoid the over priced concessions.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 15, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Vic1,

Nice memo. Now type up one from Danny and Vinny to self.

"Dear Self,

What were you thinking when you hired these guys? If you don't shape up, you will be the first to go.

Have a nice day,
Danny and Vinny"

Posted by: boomer5 | October 16, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT

GET SNYDER OUT OR IT GETS WORSE!!

ITS BEEN HEARD ON THE RADIO THAT RONNIE MERVIS OF WASHINGTON DC AREA MEVRIS DIAMOND IMPORTERS HAS INDICATED THAT IF HE WAS ABLE TO GET THE SUPPORT OF 10,000 FANS HE WOULD LOOK TO PUT TOGETHER A BID FOR THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS TO REMOVE D.SNYDER THE MOST DISPISED LITTLE MAN IN DC!!

SAVE THE REDSKINS SUPPORT RONNIE!!
SNYDER MUST GO!!

Posted by: DCTrk | October 16, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

redskins fans.....i am sorry for your teams sudden death, but as a cowboys fan we dont have it this bad....i tell you what we will give you wade phillips & jason garrett for brian arakpo...ok!

Posted by: lisasalomon | October 16, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Redskins - Statistically Worst Team in NFL History
This week's game against the Chiefs will mark the first time in history that any team has faced off against 6 winless teams IN A ROW at the time of the game. The odds of this happening are 1 in 32,768, according to one source.

Read more at redskinsfanhomebase.com