Portis on Daniel Snyder: "It's not him"

I kind of made a big deal out of Clinton Portis's comments earlier this season that Daniel Snyder was on the verge of losing his fan base, so it's only fair to highlight Portis's defense of ownership on Tuesday's John Thompson Show. Making his weekly appearance on ESPN 980, Portis included an unprompted word in Snyder's favor, saying "It's not him."

The question and the answer were both long, but I'll include both in full, as part of the special D.C. Sports Bog Stenographer Special.

"How many times Clinton can we start over and get some continuity?" a clearly frustrated John Thompson asked. "It just appears to me that it's always, in the middle of season and the end of the season, a change of personnel, starting over, some reevaluation or something. How the hell can there ever be continuity among you guys with all these changes that are made?"

Portis--who seemed unfazed by the move to have Sherm Lewis call plays--offered a lengthy response that seemed....well, odd, anyhow.

"I think it's just gonna come down to not worrying about the media," Portis said. "You know, everybody want input around here. Being in Washington, D.C. and having so much focus on this team, everybody want their way. It's a fan that want Jason Campbell benched, that want Colt Brennan to play right now, and Colt Brennan injured. You know, it's a fan that want me benched and they should have drafted Knowshon Moreno from Denver; look, they didn't, Denver did. It's always, 'Oh, this could work.'...

"Every time you look at headlines, every time you see a story, it's 'The Redskins suck, the Redskins can't do it, the Redskins down again.' We're 2-4, we've still got a lot of football left. Philly was 2-4 last year and went to the NFC Championship game. Philly did that as a team. I'm sure their fans was killing them, the papers was killing them, but somehow, some way, you've got to keep searching and keep trying to find a way until you find it.

"And I think the pressure [is] on Mr. Snyder, and he want to win so bad. And everybody's [saying] 'Oh, get him out of here, he need to sell the team, he's what's [wrong].' It's not him. I think he brings in everybody that he could possibly bring in that he think gonna help this team. I think if you look at the talent on our team, we've got a lot of talent. We've got great players. We've gotta go out and do it. It's no coaches playing for us, it's nobody in the front office playing for us. The scout evaluators, whoever they bring in, I mean, they evaluate talent. We've got talent. It's just the execution. So it's on us."

Thompson tried following up by asking who was making the decisions, and based on what criteria, and whether the media was influencing decisions, but Portis returned to his theme.

"I'm just telling you, on our behalf as players, the conversation that you hear," he said. "I mean, a couple weeks ago, you've got some players--I don't even know who it was--asking about knowing if the coach gonna be here, knowing this and knowing that. What we need to know is what defense we're lining up in this week, what offensive plays we gonna line up in, and what we need to go out and perfect.

"We can't worry about the media. I never even listen to my own radio show. I mean, when I talk to y'all, that's it. I don't pick up the papers, I don't watch TV to hear, 'The Redskins failed, get everybody out of there,' because I don't want to take the bad, so there's no need to hear the good. It's gonna always be 'Oh, something need to be changed.' We don't need to change all the time. What we need is to stay healthy, which we haven't done. What we need is to execute, which we haven't done, to stop penalizing ourselves, which we haven't done. If we get those things, we'll be fine. Everything else will fall into place."

[Just to be clear, when asked about continuity, Portis said the problem is the media, and when asked about the media, Portis said they need continuity. Next thing I know, Redskins players will be bringing Backgammon boards to the Bingo hall and shouting out Yahtzee! Love Yahtzee! Used to play by myself all the time. Never could figure out if it's better to take your second zero in Yahtzee, Four of a Kind or Chance. The first zero is for 1s, obviously.]

Anyhow, the interview wrapped up with Doc Walker asking about lights at the end of tunnels, which may or may not require extra sets of eyes to see.

'It's a pride thing," Portis said. "I can't speak for nobody else, but it's hard to go out in public when you around here, you 2-4 and you done lost to teams that haven't had a win. You know, it's hard. So my pride comes into play, like 'Man, I can't even hold my head up in a restaurant, [because] we suck as a team.'

"But I can't say, 'Oh man, I'm doing good, so I'm going to eat and I don't care what they say, I'm gonna bash my teammates.' That's not it. As a team, we're not getting it done. As a team, my pride is at stake. So therefore I come out and whatever I can do, whatever I can help with, whoever I can help improve, that's what I try to do....Win lose or draw, we're gonna go out and fight."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 20, 2009; 4:32 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ochocinco's D.C. United Jersey
Next: Zorn shares your concern about the playclock

Comments

I bet...

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | October 20, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

What an idiot.

Posted by: TedNutmeg | October 20, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"We're 2-4, we've still got a lot of football left. Philly was 2-4 last year and went to the NFC Championship game."

----

I looked it up. Pilly was 3-3 after 6 games. They:
- Beat St Louis 38-3
- Lost to Dallas 41-37
- Beat Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh!) 15-6
- Lost to Chicago 24-20
- Lost to Skins 17-23, and
- Beat SF 40-26

Hardly a comparison.

Posted by: kjhealey | October 20, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

You know, I said I was going to keep all my Redskins gear locked away in a closet until the idiot $nyder hired a real GM with 100% authority, but I've changed my mind after reading this. I am going to take out my Portis jersey and keep it in my bathroom so I can wipe my rear end after taking a dump. Portis is such a gas bag and lazy no account player. Now that he has his Guaranteed $15 million, he doesn't want to practice. Just STFU and pratice AND play.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | October 20, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is the Redskin's version of Yoggi Berra.

Ask C. Ross Perot now what the loud sucking sound from the north is and he'll say: "That's the sound of Clinton Portis in Dan Snyder's office."

Oh, crap. My puke bucket is full. Excuse me...

Posted by: skinssox01 | October 20, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Correction: "H. Ross Perot"

Posted by: skinssox01 | October 20, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

It was Portis for Bailey and a second-rounder, but it still stunk.

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 20, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

It's on them, it's on the media. They make me sick. I hope he's gone next year. I'm sick of his stinkin' yap.

Posted by: ridgely1 | October 20, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Any big-name coach would have to be crazy to take over this mess. Other teams will also be waving plenty of money around in the off-season.

On the other hand, a Shanahan or Holmgren could probably get away with kicking Portis's rear end into gear, as well as that of the other overpaid underachievers at Redskins Park.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 20, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

This just goes to show how damaging it can be when ownership shows favoritism to one player to the point where he can refuse to practice, take himself out of games, call out his own O-line in the media, go to coaches AND management to try to have a teammate pulled, etc.

Clinton, where do you get off speaking for your teammates? Do you have any idea that you are literally despised by those in the locker room for your no-practice, backstabbing-teammates ways?

Posted by: playahatah | October 20, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: acoberst1

And you won't see either of them cooking in the Redskin's kitchen unless they are also the ones shopping for the groceries.

Which would me prying team control from the cold dead hands of Snyderatto.

Good luck with that one...

Posted by: skinssox01 | October 20, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

we were fine w/out Champ until we let Springs go, so it wasnt a bad trade, not great or good, but not bad, say what u want about Portis, he was right last yr when he said the oline sucked in the beginning of the season and we havent done anything about it and he plays tough
yall still see me in my burgundy 21 on monday night, f that, f the eagles, dont care how bad we are, i still hate philly

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 20, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

there are no problems if your one of them...and how could the Danny be a problem .. hes the ATM man

Posted by: heathdog1119 | October 20, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

wow. what a moronic suck up.

has anybody said we should have drafted a rb instead of orakpo?

he says it's not snyder's fault because snyder has brought in everybody that snyder thinks could help the team. um... isn't that one of the problems, that people are questioning snyder's ability to determine who can help the team.

he called out his teammates for standing up for Zorn.

he said he is playing well but everyone else isnt (but said he couldnt say that in public)

highest paid freakin running back in the league.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | October 20, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Portis doesnt get it because Portis is part of the problem because he perpetuates the horrible culture danny boy created in our once proud organization.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | October 20, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

It's incredible that Portis doesn't realize/or won't admit that Schneider's the key reason he hasn't had a consistently solid line to run behind in years, why people think he's now sliding over the hill and no where close to AP caliber. When Portis was playing GM for the team, did he ever advise Schneider to buy/draft some linemen?

Posted by: druppe01 | October 20, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what Clinton's major was in college, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't English...

Posted by: randysbailin | October 20, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

good thing it was a second round pick.

i guess you would rather have let bailey walk for nothing and take that 2nd round pick (the broncos used to draft tatum bell who is out of the nfl)insted of CP who is the BEST RB the skins ever had (including the loud mouth riggo 3.9 ypc btw)

also CP NEVER had an OL close to the HOGS.

STFU

Posted by: jonthefisherman | October 20, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

okay you guys on this site...can i ask two questions......you are very refined readers...

1) what the heck was CP saying? Did it make sense to anyone?

2)If he was blaming the media, I think the media is 1% of the problem...all of the columints have been so negative...even though it is bad....after week one WP started reporting that Zorn will be fired if the skins lose to the Lions....

Posted by: hunter32 | October 20, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

okay my second ?? is

If Zorn is the problem, it is a bit of his own problem....he let Snyeder and Vinnniieeeee push the wrong team down his throat....

The skins hire him to run the West Coast Offence....but all of the core players are holdover from Gibbs 2.0...

How can a new system work when no new players were brought on offense...no OL, RB, QB??

Just wondering?

Posted by: hunter32 | October 20, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

im so sick of all the b*tching and hating thats going on amongst skin fans. I feel yall pain: I had huge expectations going into this season thinkin we had a good chance at a wildcard birth, and I understand that our management from the top down is despicable. Still tho, have some f-ing pride in DC and the burgundy and gold. I agree with Clinton, this season is young, but just cause we cant make the playoffs doesnt mean we should stop routing for them. What are we? Eagles fans? Stop booing the team, we can still beat the eagles and cowboys and that for me would make it all worthwhile. Go Skins! F the haters!

Posted by: bbachrac | October 20, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

If Portis can remove that chip off his shoulder, and quit interviewing so much, he MIGHT have enough wind left to actually score on a run.

Posted by: bfjam | October 20, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse
______________________________________________

No truer statement has ever been uttered. Letting Champ Baily go was the beginning of the end.

Posted by: goskins21 | October 20, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Somebody 'splain to me why ANY current player has a regular radio gig on a... Wait a minute, It's Clinton Portis on Dan Snyder's Dead Zebra "network"; The same five stations (with little or no broadcast power) that hosts Vinny Cerrato on Fridays with "Inside the Red Zone (where a FG is the best you can hope for)." Now it makes perfect sense.

The management of this football team is fully & totally dysfunctional, from the top down. Mr. Snyder, please try & do the right thing, for once and just get out of your own way - Stop trying to control the media "spin" & sell the stations; Hire a football-savvy GM & let him hire/fire/draft whoever (or whatever) he thinks is needed to improve the on-field product. Become totally "hands-off" and give the process at least three years to take shape. If you feel the need to meddle in player acquisition, buy into as many fantasy leagues as you feel necessary, and maybe hire Vinny to run them for you, but LEAVE THE REDSKINS ALONE.

Posted by: BinM | October 20, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you forgot to include the last few paragraphs of the Portis interview: "Gobbledygook, gibberish, pride, nonsequiter, man up, nonsense."

Posted by: jmink4a5 | October 20, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

good thing it was a second round pick.

also CP NEVER had an OL close to the HOGS.

STFU

Posted by: jonthefisherman | October 20, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

CP is the best RB the redskins ever had? you sir need to STFU. Do you not remember John Riggins? How about Larry Brown (a far tougher player than CP ever will be?)

Go back in time to Cliff Battles? Stephan Davis? (How quickly we forgot)

Portis is just an overpaid gas bag.

Posted by: noups | October 20, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Clinton - It's not you - we love you! I don't know how many management jobs you have had in your life to qualify your statements today on the John Thompson show, however. It always starts with management. Ultimately it's the man steering the ship that is responsible. Anyone who has ever managed knows not to take a job that offers no control over your own destiny!Thats a rookie mistake!

Posted by: onesadredskinsfan | October 20, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

"clinton portis for champ bailey and a first round pick is the WORST TRADE in football history."

Yes this was the start of something awful. Running backs are fairly easily drafted and usually run well when there is good blocking. The best cornerback in the game, now thats a bit harder to come by.

Champ was a freaking 98 in Madden! I bought his jersey thinking it was my generation's Darrell Green. Thanx Dannyboy.

Posted by: jaguar2490 | October 20, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse
______________________________________________

Posted by: goskins21 | October 20, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

---------

Cutting B Mitch to make cap room for Neon Deon was the beginning of the end. Its all been down hill since then.

Posted by: qballgeek | October 20, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

MEMO FOR: Donna Shalala, The U

SUBJECT: Nominations for Commencement Speaker (Former "The U" Students)

1. Clinton Portis. "... can't speak for nobody else, but it's hard to go out in public when you around here, you 2-4 and you done lost to teams that haven't had a win."

2. Santana Moss (on Mark Brunnell) "He do what he do."

Posted by: AWWNats | October 20, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@ Awwnats

What "He Do What he do"

I am sorry but what did Mark Brunel do while he was here? He too was washed up while here.

At least when Allan got over the hill gang here, we had couple of winning seaons...now they get these guys..and we are on a ten year losing streak.....

Whoa whooo

Posted by: hunter32 | October 20, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Just like we are stuck with Snyder , we are also stuck with that loud mouth Portis!He was the first one to start pointing fingers at his team mates as to what was wrong. He thinks that he can do and say whatever he wants. Good running backs are a dime a dozen. Why do you think that Denver let him go in the first place? Build that offensive line and you could put anybody behind it and do good with them. Best running back that the skins ever had! I dont think so! RIGGO was the best running back that the Redkins ever had and that was because of the HOGS!Should have kept Champ Bailey! Carlos Rodgers should be traded! I have got better ball catching skills than he does and I am 50 years old! BTW DALLAS SUCKS!! The Redskins will beat Philly on monday!! You read it here first!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 20, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Portis = Fumbles and BTW the Redskins are leading the league in fumbles. I wonder why? I wish he would learn to speak and go to another team!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Everyone should go to www.fanexodus.com. Love that site!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 20, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | October 20, 2009 5:55 PM

plus he's dumber than a bag of hammers

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 20, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I said it before and I will say it agian. The west coast offense will not work in the NFC east! Jason Cambell has a good strong arm. Why are they wasting his talent trying to shove the west coast offense down his throat? Not going to happen. I dont care how many eyes that you bring in!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 20, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

oh wait, sorry, it's "HE dumber than a bag of hammers"

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 20, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

do the Saints use the WCO? maybe these dopes passing for an owner and his buttboy could mimic the successful teams instead of mashing systems together with the wrong personnel.

oh wait I forgot the Saints have a good GM, a capable coach and a real QB. even if the owner is kooky there too, at least he's not a control freak with the reverse midas touch like black-thumb $nidely.

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 20, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

MEMO FOR: Donna Shalala, The U

SUBJECT: Nominations for Commencement Speaker (Former "The U" Students)

2. Santana Moss (on Mark Brunnell) "He do what he do."

Posted by: AWWNats | October 20, 2009 7:42 PM

LOLOLOLOLOL
just...
bwahahahahahahahahaaaa
so great

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 20, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

i guess this is portis's new persona? snyder's b!tch?

Posted by: funkey | October 20, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Portis has taken one too many knees to the helmet.

Posted by: jnsbear | October 20, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Of course it's not snyder,

As others have noted, Snyder lets him publically undermine his coach, refuse to practice, decide who gets to play oline, and undermine the rest of the team with his personal direct line to the owner.

If this team ever brings in a legitimate general manager, Portis needs to be the first player cut

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 20, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Portis doesn't read the newspapers, blogs, etc... because he CAN'T. Seriously, for all of Snyder's money, couldn't he get Hooked on Phonics?

One 78 yard run and he is back? If I were Sellars, I would not block for him either.

Posted by: duh2mag | October 20, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

CP = delusional

8andeight preseason
now 2andfourteen

Posted by: 8andeight | October 20, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

FUNKEY!!!

I have posted on these blogs for some time now and I have to say that was the funniest post I have ever seen!!

and the answer is yes he is...

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 20, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is ILLITERATE! His grammar is unbelievably poor and he can't convey a simple point. Why listen to what he has to say?

Besides, IMHO Portis said it all last season when he told Brian Mitchell that, "Clinton Portis pockets straight!"

FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | October 20, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

whatyoutalkinboutman - i had forgotten about that exchange last year. he is bought and paid for...ugly to see.

Posted by: funkey | October 20, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

BBACHRACH: good words and way to go. lotta these folk are just mad out of their heads cuz the team hasn't fulfilled fan expectations. as if winning football games were automatic because they wish it to be. stupid. i blv portis is saying the right things abt execution; the only thing he really missed was to say the tacklers need to tackle and stop reaching. but i can understand keeping the criticism generic rather than pointing on individuals (as he did with sellers ((who needed it!). as he pointed out: it is THE TEAM that has to solve these problems. on sundays, the team INCLUDES us fans. think of it as wins being like girlfriends. you might ASK a lotta girls to be your friend, but they don't all say yes. same thing goes for winning. some of our fans don't seem to realize that this is OUR team. it's all we got unless they (fans) wanna drive up to bmore. suck it up in the bad times. man up, people.

Posted by: dcjazzman | October 20, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

The only reason we should blame Danny Boy is because he doesn't have enough common sense to see that Vinny has no talent as a GM, and he hired a quarterbacks coach to run the team. Vinny can't draft, and Zorn doesn't have the experience to coach. We need a real GM, and an experienced head coach. There are so many holes to fill on this team. Hire an experienced GM and Head Coach, and let them do their jobs. This season will still be a good one if both these moves are made.

Posted by: coastallp74 | October 20, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's not the problem, are you kidding me? Did Cerrato hire himself? Did Steve Spurrier hire himself as head coach? Did Zorn make himself the head coach? Did the underachieving Adam Archuleta, Deion Sanders, Dana Stubblefield, DeAnglo Hall, Brandon Lloyd, etc. force the Skins to sign them to outrageously stupid contracts?
Who keeps blowing the drafts?

It's SNYDER!!!

Posted by: john24 | October 20, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs to learn simple subject-verb agreement.
C.P., please learn how to speak English.

Posted by: WaPoPimp | October 20, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

There is no continuity b/c Vinny and Danny bring in new coaches and free agents every year. How can you have 'continuity' when the head coach doesn't even get to hire his own coordinators?

I didn't hear people asking to draft Moreno but I did want Marcus Mason to get a few more snaps. Skins have no young talent.

BTW, Portis listens to the radio all the time. He's full of it saying he doesn't.

Posted by: andvines991 | October 20, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: randysbailin

To randysbailin and all the others who beat me to it in saying Clinton can't speak English: I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom this is annoying.
The rest of you True Believers running on blind faith? Keep drinking the "maroon and black" Kool-Aid.
The Burgundy Revolution will be televised (mostly because Snyder won't allow updates on his radio stations).

Posted by: WaPoPimp | October 20, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Portis Papers are Straight!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 20, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

SO DO THE SKINS!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 20, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Correction:

Portis Pockets are Straight!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 20, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Clinton loves Snyder because Snyder is the only dumbass that would keep a washed up, non-English speaking, arthritic ankled, primadonna, moron around...

Clinton Portis exemplifies what is wrong with this organization. If he is one of the "team leaders", than there you go. You get what you pay for DannyBoy.

Sally Jenkins' article, again, was SPOT-ON!! Good stuff lately people...good stuff.

Posted by: james51 | October 20, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I am on the record last year as stating CP is washed up.

The only way he stays on the roster is to be political. If CP is cut tomorrow there is not another NFL team that he would start for this year.

He is deperately trying to get another year out of his contract and figures Dan Snyder is stupid enough to do it if he kisses the appropriate @ss.

Smooch smooch. cha-ching!

Posted by: oldnova | October 21, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

My question is if he does not read the papers or listen to the media..... how does he know all of this ??????? Also, did he major in proper grammer and speach at the U ??? You would think that he would come on a show and talk like he had some sense..... his contract is the doom of us for the salary cap. Of course CP cannot and will not bite the hand that feeds him or he will be joining the likes of Laverneus Coles and Lavar Arrington.... as much as he loves you, he will not hesitate to bury you, drag your good name into the mud and run you out of dodge!

Posted by: rvanags | October 21, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

This man went to college. He took up a scholarship that could have gone to a real student. Why can't he speak English?

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | October 21, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Portis is incoherent..Does anyone ever know what he is talking about? Of course it's the players not executing...that's because Vinny and litte Danny never get the right players. How many good O-linemen could we have gotten for what we are paying Haynesworth? A great team has a stable of young guns ready to challenge the vets. Redskins do not have the GM to make those tough strategic decisions. Snyder should take MGMT 101.

Posted by: skinfannomore | October 21, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfannomore | October 21, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me how I was in investment banking, got laid off, and I can't find a job in this economy and this idiot makes millions of dollars???

WTF?

The "U" should be proud.

As far as Portis being the best RB this franchise has ever had, are you kidding me? Jim Brown, Riggins, and probably even Stephen Davis would rank ahead of him. I think winning should count for something as well and I've never seen Portis inspiring his teammates to accomplish much at all. Riggins would be in traction all week, get out of the hospital, and show up on Sunday and get 100 yards. It took 2/4 guys to bring him down. A slightly higher blade of grass at FedEx field brings Portis down these days. I am not even going to get into ring counting.

Finally, I agree that the Champ Bailey trade was probably the first in a litany of mistakes that franchise has made that has brought us to this point. Imagine if Sean Taylor and Bailey were anchoring our secondary. Hell, add in Hall and Horton and you probably would have one of the best secondaries ever. Well, maybe not Hall.

Posted by: rphilli721 | October 21, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Clinton isn't the smartest guy on the team...

Posted by: superpaqman | October 21, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Ye, Gawds, it is appalling to think that the Skins were composed of a group that featured, in various eras, Monk, Sanders, Clark, Riggo, Doug Williams, Dave Butts, D. Green, Byner, Rypien, "Theesman", Riggo, B-Mitch, Martin Mayhew, AJ Johnson and all the other solid citizen types Gibbs assembled has now morphed into THIS fetid crew featuring Portis, Moss and several other completely inarticulate, if not outright illiterate morons.

The Skins REALLY need for Portis and Moss to STFU. There really could not be a worse pair of spokesmen for the team. Listening to these idiots, and several others of their ilk, express the jumbled thoughts that spill from their lame brains is to lead one to believe they're simply unable to read their playbooks. It's good they're paid all these millions. There is NO WAY they could go earn a living of any kind outside of football. Scary, the way these gents think and talk. It's no wonder the team is toast.

Posted by: JamesChristian | October 21, 2009 3:25 AM | Report abuse

I think the U stands for U Ain't Too Bright

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 21, 2009 3:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand how you guys can blame Snyder. He is the owner and yes, he may be meddlesome, but at the end of the day there are men who are supposed to be coaches and players. No offensive line? Blame Ceratto and all the schwag coaches that have roamed the halls of Redskin Park over the last few years.

Posted by: comeonpeople | October 21, 2009 4:25 AM | Report abuse

Is Clinton Portis literate?

Posted by: sluftbl | October 21, 2009 5:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but all you "commentors" have something I don't have, I guess. Is there some sort of translation device available for "Clintonese"? I grew up speaking English, and the interview, as written looks vaguely like English, but I'm not sure...

Idiot.

Posted by: sjr0691 | October 21, 2009 6:13 AM | Report abuse

Damn, I thought Vinny was The Danny's mouthpiece. Clinton's gone and drank the company Kool-Aid. Wake up brah, you all suck and yes, it's all Snyder's fault.

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 21, 2009 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Champ Bailey??? That trade was how long ago?? And what is champ bailey doing these days anyway??? Getting toasted by everyone. So I guess if he were here you would be saying get rid of him....right???

Portis speaks the truth. People around here just don't want to here it. Changing doesn't always mean better.

Posted by: punchdaclock | October 21, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Portis is and always has been a clown, but he's not stupid. How can anybody be surprised that he would side with the man who signs the paychecks? As long as he gets paid, right?

Posted by: kemp13 | October 21, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

PORTIS IS N'T THE DAM PROBLEM , THE PROBLEM IS AND HAS BEEN INCOMPETENT OWNERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT. iF vINNY IS MAKING THE FOOTBALL DECISIONS AND dANNY IS SAYING YES TO EVERYTHING THEY BOTH NEED TO GO.
THIS WHOLE PROBLEM CAN BE CORRECTED BY BRINGING IN FOOTBALL PEOPLE AND A GM WITH AUTHORITY TO PICK A COACH AN MANAGE PERSONNEL WITHOUT SNYDERS INTERFERENCE

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | October 21, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

When Joe Gibbs retired again, at a press conference when asked if they would change management strategy of the team (Vinny, Danny ,etc...)
Didn't Danny reply "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT" ?

I believe its more than him not firing Vinny. I think he lets Vinny attempt to be GM with his usual inputs. If Vinny were to continually go the owner and suggest they pay record breaking contracts every year with these results then Danny is dumber than I thought. I don't think this is the case. Danny internalizes his mistakes, just like how the players cannot admit that their roster sucks. He is in complete denial and every year thinks that the new idea is not like the last few failures. Vinny has no balls. I don't think any of us would say no to taking that job, but after a while a real man asserts himself. I hope he is banking his checks. His reputation is on the line and he is unable to say " I got this, let me do my job"
Who would hire him when this is all said and done?

Posted by: millineumman | October 21, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Ramble on you moron. University of Miami is nothing more than a school for thugs. How do these athletes get into these schools is beyond me. What's that? Money. Oh yeah it's the money. Something this moron doesn't really deserve. Practice and play hard or give it up.

Posted by: hessone | October 21, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

As if Dude would give an honest assessment... when Dan gives 7-8 million + per year for roughly 12 days of work.

"Yessum, Massah Snidely is one good owner, indeed! Like the time him axed up to da Big House for a little chat about the future of the team."

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

as i have opined in this space many times, this man should of been traded 2 yrs. ago when he had some value. now, he is a shell of his former self. this man is the owners favorite, and if the owner owes me 20 mil, i'm sure as hell not going to call him out. but the player showed his true colors when he threw zorn under the bus last year, and bragged to the media "i love dan, i love vinny". and then he pearl harbored sellers this season. due to salary cap reasons, he will probably be here one more season, but i can't wait until this diva is gone. and why make a move now for an offensive lineman, and let go the 2 young rb's ? now were stuck with 2 burned out rb's....they should of kept the young kids and played them just to see what they had...what a joke.

Posted by: mdoughtie22 | October 21, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

It's not so much that Clinton is wrong about what he is saying, it's just that he doesn't know HOW to say it and HE shouldn't be the one saying it.

If Cooley came out and said the same thing then it would be more widely accepted. That's because he busts his butt in practice AND in the game. But you can't take a guy like Portis who is CLEARLY not a team player due to schmoozing with the owner, throwing other players under the bus, takes himself out of games, practices when he wants to, and brags on radio to the media and fans about his money situation. That person can NOT be player spokesman for what's right and wrong about the team when things are going bad. Hell to the nah!!! As far as his speech pattern, that is detrimental to his own image. But his words and his actions are detrimental to his teammates because he is not reputable and accountable and should not be speaking for the guys that show up every practice and Sunday. Someone that does should do that. And that is not Clinton Portis.

Clinton Portis, and any fan that is NOT a diehard Redskins fan (meaning someone who still supports the team despite the ugly games and the bad management, because you have to take the good with the bad) - SHOULD STFU!!!!

Posted by: dark_some | October 21, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Portis is one of the guys who should go right behind Ceratto, I don't really respect what he has to say about his best buddy Dan Snyder.

It's like George Michael telling us the reason eveyone hates Snyder is because his neighbor told us to.

Portis needs to go on a diet, get in shape, and stop breathing in all of that oxygen from those really long one yard runs before I will be willing to listen to anything he has to say.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 21, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: punchdaclock | October 21, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

PORTIS POCKETS ARE STRAIGHT!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 21, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

All right all right - Clinton talks. He always does talk. Once upon a time that is what made him endearing - All Maxim team along with Cooley based on the fun factor and production on the field.

last year he complained about the O-line. Quite a few folks were upset with him for pointing out the obvious (at the same time throwing his teammates under the bus). He has a commitment to come on the radio for money once a week and is actually watching what he is saying based on the dismal condition of the 2009 Redskins. He has already called out ownership a few weeks ago.

Not sure that he is washed up - yet. The line was atrocious against the worst D in the league so counting his 100 yd game is a bit dodgey. I don't think he is the main problem on the team. The team's problems in order are:

1 - lack of an offensive line (blame the FO)

2 - Questionable play calling and clock management (blame coaching)

3 - No consistent contributions from recievers other than Moss (FO + coaching + players themselves)

4 - Putrid mistakes (fumbles, INTs & dropped balls included) and penalties (players + coaching)

5 - Fan distate and disgust - (Ownership sued fans - no forgiving or forgetting that; prices; lack of improvement in transportation in and out of stadium; hyping high-priced FAs "the next Archuleta!!") - owner

There is blame to be spread all around and no near-term quick fix. 5 would not be so bad if the team did not look so terrible. If they were undefeated, the suing of the fans would be a distant memory brought up constantly only by Redskins haters and cowboy fans.

If the line did not suck, the Skins would likely have scored a lot more points and would won more games. But it does, and all the other issues get magnified. My immigrant mother knew all the names of the Gibbs O-lineman -Thielman, Simmons, and even Wally Kleine (who never played).
We had a suspect line to begin with and no depth worth speaking of.

So Clinton talking does not help or hurt. It amy annoy quite a few - especially when JT is bating him to blame the owner and he does not bite.

If only the Cooke family had kept the team. All y'all - go update your wills.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 21, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Is there a bigger idiot on this team than Clinton Portis?

Posted by: rwglas | October 21, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Champ was not 'let go', he wanted out and made that very clear. Apparently he saw the handwriting on the wall.

Posted by: tburke13 | October 21, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

It was Portis for Bailey and a second-rounder, but it still stunk.

Posted by: rbpalmer | October 20, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

The trade does stink, but wasn't it Joe Gibbs that pushed for the trade because he wanted a "Stud" running back? I kind of blame Gibbs on this and on drafting Jason Campbell only because Dan Snyder would have listened to him and got anything Gibbs wanted during his second return to the NFL. Instead, Gibbs got caught up with all the hype and the "Holier than Thou" crap until he was "Reborned" again and got out of town with some of his soul still intact. Any way, the point is that Gibbs could have made such a significant difference if he mandated that Snyder hire a real GM to work with, but instead, he treated Snyder like a "Spoiled" grandson.

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 21, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

A smothering cornerback is much harder to come by than a perennial 1,000 yard running back. Corners sink or swim based on their individual talent. Running backs sink or swim based on the talent of the O-line. And then to add a draft pick on top of that, is just insult to injury. Also, Champ was 3 years older, but the career of a corner is typically much longer than the career of a running back. Additionally, Champ was a leader on defense, whereas Clinton is oblivious to the importance of leadership. But I speculate that might have been why they shopped Champ, because of the mutiny that took place under Spurrier. When Gibbs came back, it had to be clear who was the real boss, and I don't mean Bailey.

Posted by: anti-portis | October 21, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Phone call from meddling owner Shylock of Potomac doing his best at keeping it real to once good but not so good running back (meddling owner has running back on speed dial of course):

Meddling owner Shylock of Potomac: "Yo, Clinton. What up, boyyyyyyyyyyyy? Yo, dog, what up with this media callin' me all kinds of crazy thangs, yo? Lemme axe you a queshin, Clinton, cuz you my boy! I do nuffin' but get choo all super-stah playas to win a Supah Bowl. Will you do me a fava and go on John Thompson show and say ahm not da problem? I tell you what, if you do that, cuz you my boy, I'll get you a part in one of the Tom Cruise films I produce. You can play da role I promised Jason Taylor if he got 10 sacks last year."

Posted by: c_e_daniel | October 21, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Darrell Green pretty much trained Champ Bailey to be his replacement. It's a shame that he now plays for another team.

Portis has put his foot in his mouth so many times he has foot fungus on his gums.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 21, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight. It's not the owners fault because the players just have to line up and play.

But it is the media's fault? Hmm weird.

Reminds me of the old Chris Rock joke. As he said Clinton, "He aint afraid of no media"

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh, P.S. Clinton. I bet moreno could have outrun Mike Sellers WHILE HE WAS ENGAGED with an opposing player.

Posted by: Gweez | October 21, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

The best thing Portis could do for his team is shut his mouth.His ego and hunger for attention is outrageous.If the `Skins had a decent front office and a good GM,Portis would be gone in a heartbeat.

Posted by: bowspray | October 21, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The trade for Portis was a GREAT trade under the circumstances. You have to remember that Champ was NEVER going to resign with the Skins. So we would have been w/o Champ or Portis.

At least we got something in return and Portis has been very good for the Skins especially with a very mediocre offensive line.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | October 21, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I bet every graduate of "the U " is certainly proud every time Clinton opens his mouth. Says a lot for the English department there.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | October 21, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

mcpks73,

Do you think Clinton has ever taken an English course? The 'U' is one thing, but what about his High and Grade schools? Awful. This should be a great lesson for all of us here to support what Michelle Rhee is trying to do to improve our DC school system. We don't want to lose her to Florida, which obviously needs help too.

Posted by: tburke13 | October 21, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

no comprende EBONICS

Posted by: chamidi | October 21, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

What an idiot. What else can you say?

Posted by: nodata2000 | October 21, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Well I feel so much better now knowing that the media and the fans are the real problem. If not for the media and us, the Redskins would be winning. Portis is a buffoon. And he almost seems proud of his broken English. He's lucky he can carry a football because who knows what line of work he would be in now? The fact about Portis is he don't be a leader! He don't even belong on the field.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 21, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Clinton, in case you're reading this....the problem is the owner.

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 21, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe some of the crap that gets posted! Yes, the 'Skins overpaid for CP both in the trade and in his contract but Champ was outta here at the end of his contract so they got what they could for him. Who cares about the silly stuff CP says? He plays his a** off every Sunday! He's no AP? WHO IS OTHER THAN AP? I didn't know it was a crime to be good but not the best! It's Snyderatto's fault. By the way, Gibbs made the CP/Champ trade!

Posted by: largetony86 | October 21, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

chamidi, what's with the racist post? We need more of that? Don't even start with the defense of that post. That "ebonics" reference implies that Portis doesn't speak well because he's Black as opposed to because he's not so bright. Please save the racist rants for the Klan posts.

Posted by: largetony86 | October 21, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

It's the price you pay when you LOSE!
Portis is not the problem. (the backups are)
No offensive line!

Posted by: shamken | October 21, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

What else COULD he say? He's the Danny's pet. Probably brings him an apple to Skins Park every day.

It's not the media or fans fault that YOU don't practice or run into your linemen or fall down when barely touched or not touched at all. It's not the media or fans fault that you self admittedly lack discipline in your execution.

But it is YOUR fault for disrespecting authority and going over the coaches head to the owner, for placing yourself above the team in doing so. And the owner is to blame for allowing you to do so. He should tell you to go to your position coach, then OC, then HC and run it up the chain. But since he sets the example by disrespecting and undermining his own coaching staff, why would you do THAT?

I guess that TOO is the fault of the fans and the media. All you and the Danny are guilty of is 'wanting to win so badly'.

Riiiiiiiiight...

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 21, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Yeah...for all you that say Portis sucks so bad...here are some stats...

All time Redskins rushing leaders...
John Riggins 7,472 1976 1985
Clinton Portis 6,550 2004 2009

Single season rushing yards for Skins...
Clinton Portis 1,516 2005
Clinton Portis 1,487 2008
Stephen Davis 1,432 2001
Stephen Davis 1,405 1999
Terry Allen 1,353 1996
John Riggins 1,347 1983

3 fumbles last year and 1 this year. Portis my not have the burst he used to but when you are hit at or behind the line what are you supposed to do??

Posted by: agcoony | October 21, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

" Also, did he major in proper grammer and speach at the U ???"

---

Please god tell me you were being intentionally ironic when you misspelled both "speech" and "grammar" in a post criticizing someone for their lack of grasp on the English Language?

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 21, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Portis my not have the burst he used to but when you are hit at or behind the line what are you supposed to do??"

---

Keep running. That's what good running backs do, *not* go down on first contact. Saying "He's a really good running back if no one touches him," is a really silly statement...you realize that, right?

My cooking is incredible as long as no one eats it.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 21, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

no comprende EBONICS

Posted by: chamidi | October 21, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Limbaugh you can't buy an ownership stake in the Redskins either.

Posted by: Section117 | October 21, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Awe Clinton. Really, did you just say that? I mean I know Snyder and CP are cool and all but wow. I mean come out and make every statement you made about the players; how they are the one's that have to get it done. Because its true. But don't even bring up the comment about Snyder.

This is my response for any moron who wants to paint Snyder as the guy getting the bad rap. *NEWSFLASH*

If you buy a franchise, you normally want that franchise to succeed. If your professional background is NOT in football... and it is NOT in any form of professional sports front office dealings whatsoever, you need to hire an astute football mind to run the team. You sign checks and reap the rewards after the fact. THE END. I keep hearing people say Snyder wants to win so bad. No he does not. If you really and truly want to win... you will sacrifice whatever is necessary to accomplish that goal. Even if that means your sacrificing the largest elephant in the room: your (his) EGO.

Accept the fact that you are an idiot with deep pockets. Acknowledge it publicly. Then make the decision to hire a football savy person to run the team. Then you, sit in the press box on Sundays and cut checks during the week... according to what the more informed FOOTBALL minds you hire, tell you to do. (that didn't read well, but you get the point).

CP, just practice and play. No more microphones for you man.

Posted by: LIKWID | October 21, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

VT Duffman...I never said "He's a really good running back if no one touches him,"...My point is that if he is constantly getting hit behind the line it is only so much he can do. You my friend, are the silly one.

Posted by: agcoony | October 21, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Man, somebody's got to buy him a grammar book. It's painful to read his quotes.

Portis is a great back, and always has been. But with no one blocking for him, he's not going to do anything. It's all about the line. Even a mediocre back works fine behind a good line, but it's been a long time since we've had one.

Posted by: RIP-21 | October 21, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"As a TEAM, MY pride is at stake"

Hmmmm.... what's wrong with this statement?

Posted by: s2car | October 21, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

It was a second-round pick. And even if it were a first, this comment is insane.

Posted by: RIP-21 | October 21, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 20, 2009 4:42 PM
----------------------------
Very bad, but not even close. There's the Herschel Walker trade that basically built the Cowboys best teams, the Ricky Williams trade for one entire draft, Jim Lachey for Jay Schroeder, etc.

Posted by: shanks1 | October 21, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"We've got a lot of talent" "We've got great players"

What team is he talking about? This team is as good as their record indicates. What talent? Where? When will it show? Stop talking? Teams that claim to have talent invariably suck.

Posted by: s2car | October 21, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

And it was Bailey & a SECOND round pick (turned out to be Tatum Bell) for Portis. Bell was a minor talent and is no longer in the NFL.

Posted by: shanks1 | October 21, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Gotta take the scratch in Yahtzee! My Papa taught me this a long time ago.

The question Portis can't answer, nor anybody else, is why aren't they executing. I've heard they aren't executing from Zorn, from Blache, Fletcher, now Portis but nobody explains why. Isn't it the coaches job to figure that out? Or the coordinators? Or the offensive consultant?

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | October 21, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Wrong Clinton. Snyder IS the problem.

Posted by: poguesmahone | October 21, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Why does anyone in their right mind even bother to listen to anything this guy has to say? His statemens are so contradictory, and his answers to questions are never on topic.

He says: Every time you look at the headlines, everytime you see a story, it's the Redskins suck, the Redskins can't do it, or the Redskins down again.

Three paragraphs later he says: We can't listen to the media, I don't even listen to my own radio show, I mean when I talk to y'all that's it. I don't pick up the papers or wach TV to hear the Redskins failed, get everybody out of here.

Come on man, please!! enough already. It's painfully obvious you are definately listening, the problem is, you don't like what you hear, in the future stay as far away from a microphone as you possibly can. You probably didnt get this type exposude in Denver so you're not accoustomed, welcome to the world of reality.

Posted by: MHEDRLT | October 21, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

For the grammar experts, I regret mispelling exposure. typo

Posted by: MHEDRLT | October 21, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Clinton needs hooked-on phonics! Speak proper English, my funk soul bruvah!

The Redskins are done--stick a large fork in 'em. Things will only deteriorate further as the season goes on.

Posted by: DarkHelmet1983 | October 21, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I keep reading these stories and I keep asking myself a questions. Yes we all know that Dan Snyder is the one ultimately writing the checks but how do we know that he doesn't sit back and pretty follow all the recommendations made by his gm. We can fix our probs really quick with the hiring of a new GM. That guy could bring in a new coach (pref Cowher) use the free agent market and draft to pick up offensive lineman. Figure out the QB issue and off we go. I know it seems like a lot but it's very possible. Our owner will write the check! Be glad of that. All we need is a clear plan.

P.S.
CP is a warrior but he's lost his edge. Don't know if it's injuries or not but he can't make people miss and his stamina stinks. Shoulda scored a td on that long run.

Posted by: MaxnDC | October 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Portis is about halfway to English with this one. Every time I hear his remarks on WTEM I am surprised that they keep bringing him back. And he really doesn't have anything to say.

Posted by: vn11701 | October 21, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Pure comedy gold.

Posted by: Megskin | October 21, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Clinton has quite a future as English professor after he retires....sheeeshhh.

Posted by: Capsfan1322 | October 21, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Clinton is great with internal politics. He knows Danny pays him well, and won't say anything negative because he knows his years are numbered. That said, he is right to some extent, they aren't a TEAM. Problem with that theory is: It's the culture of the franchise that has caused that to occur for 15 years now. That IS Danny's fault.

Posted by: bharn | October 21, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

22 hours since Dan's last post. Did Snyder's goons get to him?

Posted by: JohninMpls | October 21, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is a moron. I am so sick of him butchering the English language, how did he get past elementary school? I can't wait until he is no longer a Redskin. Him saying Snyder is not to blame proves how stupid he really is. Shut up and go away for good dummy.

Posted by: DCFanatic | October 21, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Boy... The hatred for Portis sure must fill some kind of void in most of your lives. How many of you experts have been reading about the brain destruction NFL players suffer? http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell?currentPage=all

Portis is a hard runner who goes up the middle almost every time. Whatever his opinion is on football, I will take as Gospel over the opinions of you retards. And I congratulate him on the multimillions of dollars he receives for his efforts, which none of you will ever receive, because apparently the only thing you put effort into is criticizing him for what he says and how he says it. Despite all the head hits, he's still smarter and richer than you.

Posted by: edwcorey | October 21, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

" Whatever his opinion is on football, I will take as Gospel over the opinions of you retards. "

---

So you are agreeing with Clinton that the current state of this team is *not* the fault of the Team Owner?

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 21, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis is an idiot.

Posted by: whughes1 | October 21, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I would give one year of my life to see any of you idiots spew any of this racist garbage to Clinton Portis' face.

I appreciate that violence isn't the answer, and won't solve anything. But my god, how great would it be to take the little anonymous racists out of their cubicles and put them in a dark alley with the man they're insulting.

Athletes vs E-Thugs as a pay-per-view event has potential to earn enough money to make Dan Snyder jealous.

Posted by: bryc3 | October 21, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

After reading this article I only have one thing to say:

Never take your 0's in chance.

Posted by: Mark551 | October 21, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

How is it the media's fault???? I did not see anyone from the media on the field calling plays, blocking, running, tackling or throwing and catching passes. The last time I looked the media writes articles and the football players play football.

Maybe Clinton Portis forgot his assignment like the media. Oh my fault like the players.

Bottom line is get a real football GM and let him do his job.

Posted by: mikemikemd1 | October 21, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"I donwn need no eff'n practis," he sayed, "and if dat sory azzed mofo(Sherm) downwn knos me and mys shiz, well eff him too!"

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

.....Perhaps you "don't" have the talent?????

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 21, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Stick with being a runing back as long as you can, Clinton baby. Cuz you sho got no future in an NFL front office, and God forbid someone hire you to speak about football on TV.

Is Clinton suffering from too many concussions that the Redskins are keeping secret? Hmmm...

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 21, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edwcorey | October 21, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse
_________________________________________

Amen, Brotha, and pass me dat Clinton P. Bible, cuz I want to hear some more of the Gospel troof from the Reverend - or is it Bishop? - Clinton Preacha Man Portis.

Amen, Halleluiah and toss a few more Benjamins in the plate, Brotha Snyder. And after preaching services this Sunday, let's us head on down to Mortons for a big ol' Sunday dinner; on you of course, right, Brotha Snyder?

Posted by: SkinsKen | October 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Portis is good, the Redskins dont use him right, he had a 78 yard run then the Skins start throwing wtf? 1st and 10 at eagles 30, oortis gets 4 yards then skins start throwing wtf? we need a run game, eagles teed off on campbells ass cuz we dont have a run game....pitiful

Posted by: pquick6165 | October 27, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse