Portis on Sherm Lewis Hiring

Continuing my role as the official stenographer of Redskins media appearances, here's the opening of Clinton Portis's press briefing today. File this under "enthusiastic endorsements," please. Feel free to watch at CSNWashington, if you want to get an up-close look at the enthusiasm.

What do you make of this whole Sherman Lewis thing, adding him to the staff?

I don't know, you've got to ask general management about that, you know? I don't know much about the situation.

Do you think another set of eyes could help?

[Pause]. I mean I guess. It don't matter what I think. It's what they think. If they think he can help, I think his background record speak for itself, so it's always great to have an addition like that.

Do you feel that this coaching staff has done a good job to put you guys in a position to be successful?

Bro, it don't matter what I think. Next question. [Portis, I should note, was smiling and laughing when he said this.]

I thought you were the GM, how could it not matter what you think?

I got fired. They released me from that duty. Right now I'm just a part-time running back.

Were you surprised at all when you heard about this? What was your initial reaction?

I wasn't. I mean, I don't have a reaction, you know? It depends. You've got to see what his role turn out to be and how we pan out. You know, we pan out to do something spectacular, then it's great.

Why a part-time running back?

'Cause, our defense got to get on the field, our offense got to get on the field, so I'm on the field part-time.

So maybe the eventual Portis media explosion is still six or seven weeks away, but it's coming, sure as the leaves will fall and the grass will wither away and the ground will turn a dull shade of earthy brown.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 7, 2009; 3:19 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Have NFL's Most Dominant Defender
Next: Naked D.C. United

Comments

Steinberg the Stenographer...has a ring to it, no?

So maybe it's just me, but I've been noticing a lot less over the top, angry, vicious, attacks on Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato this week on the blogs. Did they suddenly become a good management team in the last 7 days? Or do fans just base their level of hatred for these two men on whether we won or lost the previous game?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Don't know. But I noticed you are posting a lot this week, Barno, unlike last week when you were nowhere to be found.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate Snyder or Cerrato, but it's pretty clear over the last decade that the Redskins front office leaves alot to be desired...

Posted by: grimesman | October 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: grimesman | October 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

A blatant lie, and pretty pathetic attempt at a retort to boot.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Just about every Redskins fan I know (well, every fan but one) has felt some level of frustration in recent days. But there's no consensus on how to act on those feelings, if at all. Some fans think paper bag heads are called for. Others think that's incredibly offensive and far beneath this fan base.

By Dan Steinberg | October 2, 2009; 2:24 PM ET

Was actually on here so much last week that Steinberg referred to the one Redskins fan who wasn't frustrated with the team.

Disgruntledfan, don't come on here posting such utter nonsense. I will always be here even after the toughest losses. A lot of you that bash Snyder and Vinny, on the other hand, completely disappear after wins. Wondering why that is is a fair question.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

So... FO is basically saying that we have all the talent in the world on this team to win but the coaches are not able to get it done. Hmmmmm..... I wonder which talent they are talking about. I have nothing against these players but most of the guys are at the end of their careers. No continuity equals mediocre or at the bottom of the league.

Posted by: thewayitis | October 7, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

most of the guys are at the end of their careers

Posted by: thewayitis | October 7, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

There's 53 guys on the roster, so "most" would be what, 27 guys? Please name these 27 guys that are at the end of their careers? I can name a handful of guys who MAY only have a couple years left (or less): Samuels, Wynn, Daniels, Smoot. I'll even throw in Portis, Sellers, and Moss--even though I don't think any of them are at the end of their careers. Hell, I'll even give you Yoder, Rabach, and Albright.

That's MAYBE 10 guys on a 53 man roster. I'm probably forgetting an older player or two, but you get the point. Your comment was absurd.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PDiddy | October 7, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Mad if we lose. Mad if we win.

Mad if we sign a FA. Mad if we don't.

Every bad draft pick is carved in stone.

Every good draft pick is swept under the rug.

Mad when Tryon plays bad. Mad when Tryon plays well.

Mad when we Fire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we Hire'em. Mad when we don't.

Mad when we bring in a Big Name.

Mad when we bring in a No Name.

Mad if we Run. Mad if we Pass.

Mad if we're Home. Mad if we're Away.

You've made HYPOCRISY A WAY OF LIFE!

I think you just need to find a NEW TEAM!

YOU'RE NOT FANS, YOU'RE DEAD WEIGHT!

GO DRAG ANOTHER TEAM DOWN. WE DON'T NEED YOU.
Posted by: filmchis

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Hello ellow skins fans...I'm new to this site but I have been a skins fan or my entire life and I have an opinion....

Posted by: asbcobb | October 7, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Snyder has continuosly allowed "Vinny" to make (questionable at best) decisions that have directly affected this franchises' success and cast a shadow on a once proud franchise. Dont get me wrong, I love the skins but the past decade has been depressing set aside a few bright moments. I just want the skins to return to the days of being a good team, then work on greatness. HTTR!

Posted by: asbcobb | October 7, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I heard a smattering of boos on a couple of 4 yard runs on 1st/2nd down on Sunday. If you ask me, that speaks volumes about our fan base...

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I am posting again because I hope you will eventually listen. You have the right to do whatever you want as you are the majority owner of the Redskins. This isn't going to change unless you die or sell so... I think you want to win because you are always willing to spend money and that can't be said of every sports franchise owner. You are losing loyal fans. When I am wearing Redskins attire (I won't be buying anymore anytime soon), strangers now come up to me offering to sell me their tickets. This happens in stores, my kid's school, malls, etc.. This never happened before because there was still hope. I think hope has faded and now resentment from even diehard fans has set in. You have gone through many coaches, assistant coaches, consultants, QBs, high priced over the hill free agents, high priced ineffective free agents, etc.. You have had long enough to experiment with Vinny as your GM. He hasn't built you a dynasty nor has he built you a winner for a year. Why not take a gamble and hire a GM. If you don't want to fire Vinny, fine. Just take away all of his scouting, player personnel decision making and see what happens. Get some "fresh eyes" to evaluate our scouts, coaching staff and players. What do you have to lose? It appears you've tried just about everything else. Why not try this Danny? All us fans want is to win more than 8 games a season. If we make it to the playoffs every other year, great. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Beating our NFC East opponents and winning three or more games a season Danny is a dream right now. Why is it the Eagles and Giants do it religiously? Your payroll is usually higher than theirs. Why is it the Skins and Dallas don't Danny. It is because neither team has a good GM. Danny, you have nothing to lose by trying something different. If Vinny is a true friend of yours, he'll understand.

Posted by: neil64 | October 8, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse

neil 64 - great post but dream on.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | October 8, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

"This came from the Redskins Insider and could quite possibly be the greatest post ever. I was beginning to think I was the only sane human being left in the blogosphere."

Barno1 -- considering the other day you said Jason Campbell will lead the Skins to 10-11 wins and into the playoffs, I'd hold off on describing yourself as "sane".

Posted by: RoachVA141 | October 8, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Roach, the over/under in Las Vegas on the Redskins season wins is 8.5 -120 (which means it's closer to 9 than it is to 8). So essentially, I believe the team will win ONE more game than the oddsmakers. Yeah, I must be insane.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg the Stenographer...has a ring to it, no?

Posted by: Barno1

Yes moron,
Thankfully we beat a team with arguably the worst talent in the league by 3 points! Suddenly Snyder and Cerrato have made a decade of brilliant redskins decisions and are clearly setting this team up for a long string of superbowl runs....starting with this year.
(Yes the above paragraph was sarcasm)

You claim to be the ultimate superfan, and yet the sole reason you post on the WAPO boards is to defend the dan and vinny show at all costs. Why are you so opposed to bringing in someone who knows what they're doing to run the team? Why are you so dedicated to a business model that breeds nothing but mediocrity. Is there anything dan and vinny could do that would change your perspective, or are you just happy with 8-8 seasons until Snyder sells the team?

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 8, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Barno, you might want to check the date on your over/under there.

Posted by: jochpo | October 8, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 --

Honestly, with the way they've played thus far, how what do you expect their record to be at the end of the season?

Because I don't see them doing better 7-9 unless there's a vast improvement.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | October 8, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Jbanks979,

A) I never at any point claimed to be the ultimate superfan. Please do not put words in my mouth.

B) There are many reasons I post on the WaPo blogs, none of which is to defend Vinny and Danny at all costs.

C) I am not opposed to bringing someone in to run the team, but they had better be a better judge of talent than Vinny because he has a clear track record of being pretty damn good at it. He is very well respected around the league as having a great eye for talent. You can argue all you want about drafting for the wrong positions, misusing picks, the salary cap, etc...but you can't with a straight face argue that he isn't a good judge of talent.

C) There is plenty of things that Snyder has done that I am not happy with, but the vast majority of it was 6-10 years ago. I think he has learned from his many mistakes that he made as a young owner and has been a lot more patient in recent years.

D) NO, I am not happy with 8-8 seasons but I think a rookie head coach who wins 8 games is above average. And a second year coach that wins 10 games is pretty damn good, and that's where I think we are headed this year.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

RoachVA141,

I expect them to reach double digit wins. Anything less and I will quite honestly be shocked.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Full disclosure, I'm a Steelers fan, I have been my entire life. But growing up in the DC area, and having friends and extended family members who were big Skins fans, I used to root for them (behind the Steelers of course). I remember going to games in the 80's/90's with my uncle, and the Skins dominated the opponents. And it's really a bummer that it hasn't been that way for a while, and I echo what everyone else is saying when I say that the one constant has been the ownership and upper management of the team.

Truthfully, I'm not trying to come off as antagonistic, but it seems like your one suggestion for people who are understandably fed up with the way the Skins is being run is to stop rooting for them, and pick another team, when you know full well that for a passionate sports fan, that's not easy to do. And one thing I've seen, ESPECIALLY with the way the team has played the last decade or so, is that Skins fans are EXTREMELY loyal (behind the Steelers of course ha ha). But with the amount of time, money, and passion a fan puts into his/her team, he or she has the right to complain if it seems like the giving's coming from one side.

And yes, I agree that 8-8 isn't bad for a rookie head coach, and 10+ wins would be great for the second season, but I just don't see that kind of progression right now with this team.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | October 8, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

despite winning last weekend, vinny still needs to go. dude is bad. really bad. the home team was booed off the field at halftime, that should never happen with this team in this town. problem starts at the top, and danny is not going anywhere, so cut off his bumbling-idiot-yes man.

i love this elusive long list of great talent vinny brought in. horton, who is now benched, is the list. compare that to lloyd, archuleta, davis, kelly, thomas, rinehart, tryon, that PUNTER WE DRAFTED!!! And the bad picks and free agent list can go on much longer. Come on dude, maybe Cooley was a Vinny find too, so great, but the dude is a joke throughout the NFL.

Hey Dan, can WaPo run the following poll:
What is actually shorter--Skins season ticket waiting list or list of talent Vinny has brought in?

Posted by: jpfterps | October 8, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"but the dude is a joke throughout the NFL"

Dead wrong. Dead wrong.

Shawn Springs
Phillip Daniels
Joe Salave'a
Fred Smoot
LaVar Arrington
Chris Samuels

To name just a few quality players Vinny has helped acquire.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 8, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow....just wow...

Stephon Heyer? Chad Reinhart? Kedric Golston? Marco Mitchell who hasn't made an NFL catch?

All of the (good) listed players were either first round draft picks (congrats for mostly not screwing that up!), or rentals that we acquired for ridiculous contracts or draft picks. Furthermore, what good is a player if you can't build a team around them? What good is a player if they get the hell out of Washington the first chance they can (Lavar, Champ)? Why didn't you include Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Laverneus Coles and Haynesworth in the list if your criteria is "good players that at one point played for the redskins, regardless of effect they had on wins and losses"?

Oh and Fred Smoot was a Marty draft pick:)

Ultimately, if he's such a genius evaluator of talent, why have the teams that he's put together won less than half of their games?

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 8, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes Kedric Golston, a great find in the 6th round. Yes, Stephon Heyer, a great find who wasn't even drafted due to a knee injury he had suffered at MD. Yes, Marco Mitchell, who everyone agreed when they saw him in preseason was a great find in the 7th round. Yes, Chad Reinhart, who has looked good so far. LaVar and Champ did not get out of washington the first chance they got, both guys re-signed with the team the first chance they got. And I didn't mention Lav Coles but you're right I should have, considering he averaged 85+ catches for 1100+ yards in his time here. Deion--well I agree that was a terrible pick up and thought so at the time. But I also think both he and Snyder have changed their approach since then. Haynesworth I did not include because it's too early to tell what his impact will be with the team. Good call on the Smoot being a Marty pick.

Hope that answers your questions.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 11, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse