Redskins sign policies, old and new

It's not easy finding a Yellow Pages nowadays. I had to search the Washington Post's entire sixth floor. People looked at me like I was crazy. But I found one near a secretary's desk in advertising. And in that phone book, I found the standard-issue Redskins Guide, which is probably in your phone book at home. And in that, I finally found the team's previous, disappeared policy about banners and signs. Here it is.

Banners
Banners are permitted at FedEx Field; however, Guests may not display banners that advertise or mention products or services. Banners may not cover existing FedEx Field equipment or signage. Signs may not be made with metal or wood. Management reserves the right to remove any sign, including those deemed to be obscene, inappropriate or which obstructs the view of other Guests. For the safety of all Guests, banner poles are not permitted.

I don't have a screengrab, but I swear on my copy of All The President's Men that I read those very words on the team's online stadium guide on the night of Oct. 4. I'm talking about the team's official Web site, less than a month ago.

Well, sometime since them, the policies changed, and now this is how they read:

Banners
Banners of any size are not permitted at FedExField.

So that's what happened to your signs. Oh, and you remember the Dumb and Dumber sign I referenced earlier, which was brought in through the Tailgate Club? The one you see above?

"Five security guard came down at halftime looking for [it]," Jennifer, the sign's creator, e-mailed me on Tuesday. "Everyone in the section played dumb, including the ticket guy for our section."

Solidarity forever.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 27, 2009; 5:06 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Behavior Change: Another roadside Snyder banner
Next: WUSA says Skins prohibiting tailgate interviews

Comments

Please, man, a request for a break-down of Danny Smith's explosion of rage on the sideline during that wacky "oops, we flagged the wrong team" penalty done in the style of your previous break-down: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/09/breaking_down_jim_zorns_failed.html

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm checking my tickets and the stuff that went with them when I get home to see if what, if anything it says.

They tried to tell me two years ago that my 3 year old niece needed a ticket - which is NOT what it said in the stuff that came with my season tickets (3 and under you don't need one) and they relented. In theory, that's your "contract" with the team - but I am sure they are smart enough to note they can change it at any time.

Posted by: suzannepdc | October 27, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I do not like Vinny and Dan.
I do not like them, Sam I am.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like Vinny and Dan...

Posted by: 4-12 | October 27, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't say anything in the new policy about t-shirts, however.

What about PG County cops' role in enforcing this? Are these off-duty cops for hire by Danny and therefore enforcing a policy of a private property owner? Or are they on the Government clock, still bound by the U.S. Constitution? Does it matter?

Posted by: philreed1231 | October 27, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is SUCH a dope. He just continues to shoot himself in the foot. Instead of trying to silence critics of himself, his terrible football team and his ridiculous GM, (thus making him even MORE of an easy target for criticism and derision), he should do the right thing and build a better football team and let his actions speak for themselves.

With less meddling by him, no more morons like Vinnie Cerrato making critical decisions and a decent team, all this crap would vaporize pretty quickly and people wouldn't feel the NEED to bring disparaging signs to games.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | October 27, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Any helicopter crashes in or around DC today?

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 27, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is a monster. even though I am a Giants fan living in DC, I really do feel sorry for Redskins fans right now, as much as I hate the team. nobody deserves an Owner like this,not even hated rivals.

if I were a Redskins fan, i wouldn't invest a single dime further into the team until Snyder sells the team or dies. I'd sell my tickets to visiting fans and stay right at home. i know that's not a popular "fan" view, and one that I normally would not take towards my teams, but there is a limit to everything, you know?

Dan Snyder does not deserve fans.

Redskins fans..if you want to make your point loud and clear, you are going to need to take drastic, drastic measures, and go farther over the line than you've ever done before. You will have to do something truly reprehensible and completely unfathomable.

During Dallas week, sell your tickets to incoming Cowboys fans. Let the Cowboys own FedEx Field for one night. Stay home, watch on TV as Snyder witnesses a sea of out-of-town fans draped in the colors of his most hated and storied Rival.

That will be the highest order of embarrassment you can ever inflict on the Man. The action will hurt your soul, but it is would make the point loud and clear in a manner than Snyder cannot suppress.

The Redskins players will understand. They will get over it. But this will do irreparable damage to Dan Snyder's ego.

Posted by: MrMadison | October 27, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

ugh, yeah i see that typo in there. sorry.

Posted by: MrMadison | October 27, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Still yawn.

Posted by: Section117 | October 27, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Dan:

Ah, only the Redskins would think you could change this without there being a record of it.

If you haven't seen it before, www.archive.org takes snapshots across the net on a periodic basis and captures it. Thus, there is a record of the history of the site.

Enjoy.

Dave (of Nats Triple Play)

Posted by: DJDave | October 27, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Madison, that is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever read. A no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this blog is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 27, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

How did these get past security last year?

Posted by: jlev4 | October 27, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

No signs?!?!

If you can't bring your signs, how can you have any football?!? How can you have any football if you can't bring your signs?!?!

We don't need no confiscation
We don't need no thought control
No dark haired madman calling the shots
Synder leave this team alone
Hey! Snyder! Leave this team alone!

Posted by: fushezzi | October 27, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Love the PF reference

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 27, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder needs to stand up and act like a man and answer questions about his actions with regards to this team. He is a small and petty man and you would think he would have enough money and be secure enough to take some criticism.

Posted by: mjwies11 | October 27, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Skins fan and I have no sympathy for you people at all. Eighty-eight thousand of you jackasses showed up at FedEx field last night, and as long as you do that you deserve whatever Snyder does to you.

Posted by: simpleton1 | October 27, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Man the ExtremeSkins blind homers are saying that the Washington Post are making stuff up when it comes to Snyder, and that Snyder is doing nothing wrong and is nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be.

Visual evidence says otherwise, but somehow people just want to believe what they want to believe. It’s sad, really.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 27, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

"Eighty-eight thousand of you jackasses showed up at FedEx field last night, and as long as you do that you deserve whatever Snyder does to you."

Posted by: simpleton1 | October 27, 2009 8:44 PM

The man's got a point...

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 27, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

No signs or banners...sounds like a very sterile environment, but it certainly makes it easier on the security staff even though it is pretty clear why this is being done. My question, however, is what constitutes a banner? Can I bring a burgundy fleece blanket with words embroidered on it?

And what about the shirts? Is FedEx going to enact a dress code which states only plain white T-shirts free of any messaging? That should be fun to enforce. We need videotape of the security detail asking someone to leave or remove a questionable piece of clothing.

Posted by: skipper7 | October 27, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

was i imagining things, or did the skins ACTUALLY HAND OUT BANNERS themselves as part of a promotion that night? geico rollup banners, i believe. unreal. i've been going to a game a year since i was 5 with my father and after last night, i feel like a great childhood memory has been ripped away from me.

someone please make it stop

Posted by: dkitsou | October 28, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 27, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

dmorgan6617, you might disagree with MrMadison the Giants fan's idea, but it certainly was not a "rambling, incoherent response." I think he makes a lot of sense. Every Skins fan should sell or (even give away) their tickets to the Cowboys game to Cowboys fans.

I'm a diehard Redskins fan of 35 years and I recognize that it goes against every bone in our bodies, but THAT IS HOW BAD THINGS ARE. Wake up, people!

What a HUGE embarrassment that would be for Danny Boy. It would be national news.

Desperate times...

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | October 28, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

I actually agree with Mr. Madison. I was just referencing a quote from that classic frat house film, Billy Madison.

That Veronica Vaughn is one piece of ace....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 28, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Dan,
Considering that official team policies are published online, you may wish to capture the website periodically to substantiate your point.

HTTrack Website Copier is a handy piece of freeware for such purpose (no commercial endorsement here -- I just use the product and can recommend it)

The Internet Wayback Machine had regular site captures until 2008 -- The team's web hosting service may have block access to this site's crawlers at that time. However, anyone can capture this information with relatively little effort.

Posted by: myron1 | October 28, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Snyder can't ban this sign:

Posted by: A1232 | October 29, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse