Revisiting Sherm Lewis's Hiring

Remember when Sherm Lewis was brought in from the bingo hall? I guess it was about two weeks ago, though it feels like about 17 years. Late in that week, Vinny Cerrato was on Redskins Nation and ESPN 980 to discuss the hiring. Seems worth another look at his comments.

Cerrato said: "I give Jim a lot of credit for bringing a guy, you know, wanting another set of eyes, because we have struggled some, and for him to say, 'You know that's a great thing, let's do it if it's the right guy who's had work in the system,' I give credit to Jim for wanting to add somebody."

Cerrato said: "He doesn't want anybody's job or anything like that. You know, he's a 67-year old guy that's been retired, just loves football."

Truth: Lewis took Zorn's primary job.

Cerrato said: "How he's gonna be used, I don't know that. That'll be up to Jim."

Truth: Nope. That'll be up to Cerrato.

I mean, it's just one heaping serving of lunacy after another. Like, who are the biggest weapons on offense, now at Sherm Lewis's disposal? Cooley and Portis have to be near the top of the list, right? One week ago--ONE WEEK AGO--here's how those two guys described Sherm Lewis.

"I really don't know what go on, or what Sherm is [doing], or what impact he's had," Portis said Tuesday on The John Thompson Show. "I think right now what I've seen is just him learning the players and that's basically it. I haven't been in the coach's office or in the meeting rooms with him. I think he's in listening to everything with us. I don't know if he do any installing or playcalling or what, but pretty much it's just learning the personnel."

Ok, sweet, so the new playcaller was trying to learn who the players are one week ago. And here was Cooley, last Monday on Elliot in the Morning.

"To be honest with you, I haven't even officially met Sherman Lewis," Cooley said. "He's just there. Yeah, he is an extra set of eyes, I don't know what his input is as far as our gameplan or our staff goes. I know he's there. And I know that they want someone, or Mr. Snyder wants someone that he can talk to about what's going on with the offense."

So, just to repeat, one week ago COOLEY HADN'T EVEN MET THE NEW PLAYCALLER. Now, the obvious response to this is that a blind Tibetan monk could do as good a job calling plays as Jim Zorn, whether or not he'd met Chris Cooley. But still, what team operates like this?

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 19, 2009; 8:29 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: ESPN Speculates on Zorn's Successor
Next: Faces of Zorn: WHAT?

Comments

"But still, what team operates like this?"

A substandard team that generates web traffic for anyone that covers it?

Posted by: Section117 | October 19, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

NFL wise, Dan Snyder is a looser.

Posted by: Max231 | October 19, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

He could certainly use to tighten things up.

Posted by: Dancy1 | October 19, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

What team operates like this? Why Daniel $nyder's Washington Turdskins™ of course!!

Posted by: VeloStrummer | October 19, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

why is everyone so upset about the redskins... it is what it is, a below average franchise! subpar to average players, below average coaching, pathetic managment... why waste your time? Until they show me that they are serious about building a winner, my redskin jersey will remain folded on my closet shelf...

Posted by: tommycat | October 19, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I want Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato in a small boat. I want Snyder to play the role of Michael Corleone and I want Cerrato to be Fredo. Then I want a sniper onshore to take out Snyder.

Posted by: gman921 | October 19, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

lol, so next week, will we see a bingo- hopper, setup for play calling, on the sidelines?

Posted by: Max231 | October 19, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato has got to be on LSD.

Posted by: hessone | October 19, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm curious what Barno1 / Vinny thinks.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | October 19, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

BIG NEWS: Dan Snyder just hired Mike Holmgren to be the G.M. and Bill Cohwer to be the coach !!!

Posted by: US-conscience | October 19, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

This is utterly ridiculous. Dan Snyder has not a clue as to how to run a football organization. He is just a small man, with deep pockets and a huge EGO! He is gettin exactly what he deserves and has ruined this organization. Use to love the Redskins but cast my lot with the Ravens once this idiot and his dumber sidekick took over. THE REDSKINS SUCKKKKKK! And it is a crying shame! To hell with Snyder!!!!!

Posted by: ivyleague | October 19, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

This amused me: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/tix/1427832184.html

Posted by: hackeynut | October 19, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Do the owners and FO personnel in the NFL undergo drug testing like the players?

Posted by: vaherder | October 19, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Folks I have been a skins a fan since birth and the micromanaging of this team by Vinny(thebuthead)Cerratto & daniel snyder has turned me into a Steelers fan. I live in Central Pa and this is digusting. Mr. Cooke(RIP) is rolling in his grave. WE need to Hire Holmgreen as General Manager & Jon Gruden as head coach Or even Bill Cowher. You people talk about Haynesworth speaking out The game I watched yesterday saw him disrupting the inside. Moss, Cooley, Randle el are our guys. Potis can still run but we need someone to compliment him and BEtts And Cartwright is not the answer. WE NEED A Quarterback who can take charge. Collins did a nice job but we need a stud. But first we need a General Manager with balls that tells Snyder this is where we are going and this is what we are doing. I am sure his other companies he owns has someone in charge that are in control!!!! WE WANT ARE TEAM BACK AND IT IS TIME TO FIRE CERRATO,ZORN,CAMPBELL SOUP. Heck hire Russ Grimm He knows how to win. Bring back some of the orginal hogs and let them coach they know the system. Albert Haynesworth was a good pickup look at Carters numbers. Hall has a couple of picks not bad Rak is learning the system the defense is not the problem we need the offense to step up. Big Mike didn't look bad and Rabach is great but we need to get rrid of Heyer. This guy was a project and still is. I hope the good lord blesses Chris Samuels and he is able to play again. Them 3 draft picks 2 years ago need to step up or get out. we need O-Line and a quarterback. Dock needs some support. Folks it starts in the trenches and that is where we need help!!!!! FIRE CERRATO WE NEED TO START A PETITION

Posted by: bert3 | October 19, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

profootball talk (via SI.com) is stating that cerrato's fate is likely tied to that of Zorn.

if that is the case, this is probably the second-best news i could have hoped for this season. (the first being that synder has put the team up for sale).

Posted by: bacaje | October 19, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

sorry...here's the link

Posted by: bacaje | October 19, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: vaherder | October 19, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Stoners usually make better decisions than they do. This is the work of some PCP or Meth.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"I picture Danny and Vinny throwing some Dead into the CD changer in Danny's office and then lighting up a joint."

Please don't slander the Dead and thier fans like that.Snyder and Cerratto are far too stupid to appreciate good music, and I think it must take much more powerful drugs than pot to make them think they know what they are doing. More of a coke fueled ego-mania, or perhaps it is a halucinogenic thing.

Posted by: David90 | October 19, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

a clusterpuck ...how else do you think it would be with this owner..

Posted by: heathdog1119 | October 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

little danny has a very small p _ _ _ _.

Posted by: nativedc | October 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"Truth: At this point, Daniel Snyder could require Jim Zorn to sprint naked down Loudoun County Parkway wearing a Hogette snout while singing Hail to the Redskins, and Cerrato would claim it was Zorn's idea."

Not a bad idea! But the other truth is that for $10 million/5 years, Zorn (and even myself) will do anything for the lovable tiny gnome running the Redskins.

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 19, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato is a serial liar. And he's not even good at it. "Um, you know, um, bringing a guy, you know, um..."

Vinny should check himself into prevaricators anonymous rather than divert himself with this silly football team.

FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!

Posted by: drischord | October 19, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Instead of "hip hip hooray," if the Skins manage to win another game, the cheer in the postgame locker room will be:

Bee eye...en gee oh
Bee eye...en gee oh
Bee eye...en gee oh
And Sherman was his name-oh!

Posted by: rooster75 | October 19, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Notice nobody was saying "Coach Lewis".

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 19, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse