Sam Huff Continues to Mock Haynesworth

Since the preseason, Sam Huff has been waging a one-man campaign against Albert Haynesworth's conditioning. Before the Patriots' preseason game, I heard Huff mocking the fact that Haynesworth was making so much money and yet couldn't be bothered to play in the preseason. Part of this is Huff's usual routine--back when I played, we ran naked up the stadium steps between every play and were paid only in acorns and we liked it--but it remains odd to hear the team's official analyst repeatedly bash the team's highest paid defensive player like this.

Like, the Great Dave McKenna chronicled this exchange, when Haynesworth was hurt against the Lions.

Larry Michael: Haynesworth is down!

Huff: He's tired....

Michael: And he has not moved!

Huff: Tired.

Yesterday, Huff was at it again, rap rap rapping on Haynesworth's tummy when the big fella went down in the first half. Among the highlights:

Michael: And Haynesworth is down."

Huff: "What else is new?...He missed a tackle....[Nothing] happened. He missed a tackle."

Later, Doc Walker reported that trainers weren't looking at any part of Haynesworth's body specifically, and that he just appeared to be dazed. Huff started laughing. "He wanted out, Doc," he said.

Later stilll, Michael mentioned Haynesworth's injury.

"Injury?" Sam Huff snorted. "He was winded again."

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

And later still, Doc reported that Haynesworth was back in the game.

"Oh goodness sakes, he's got his breath back, I guess," Huff said.

And because he hadn't said it enough, Huff previewed a big defensive appearance late in the game with this: "Maybe the big man got his wind."

Just in case you forgot the exact wording of the Rams center Jason Brown's quote about Haynesworth, here it is:

I'm not sure if you have watched film before, but when he gets fatigued, he taps out. He just falls down to the ground, and you're like, 'Oh my gosh, is he hurt? Is something wrong with him?' No, he's just giving the guy on the sidelines enough time to mosey on out there so he can get up, go to the sidelines, catch a breather, get something to drink and then he comes right back out. And then people are like, 'I thought he was hurt.' No, he got tired.

Well, I don't know about all that, but I betcha Sam Huff would agree. The photo below is from the Lions game, but it's pretty apropos. He also went down against the Giants, though I don't have an image. And yes, for all of this, he's still a force in the middle, he undoubtedly makes the Redskins better, and his fellow players voted him the most dominating defensive player in the NFL.

(By Scott Boehm - Getty)

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 12, 2009; 11:08 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Theismann: "This Is Not Professional Football"
Next: Larry Weisman Calls the Skins Offense "A Dud"

Comments

He needs to admit this so we can move on.

Posted by: sire1 | October 12, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Anytime Fat Albert is on the field they need to play the theme from The Fat Albert Tv show. Hey, hey is Fat Albert!!

Another great move by Snyder

Posted by: vaherder | October 12, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

you know how much more of a force would this guy be if he took conditioning seriuously?

Posted by: cornix | October 12, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious - look at the body language of the medical staff walking with the Fat Useless Man. They're like, "OK, Fat Useless Man, how long do we need to pretend you need us out there? Should we carry you to the sideline so you can inhale a Bundt Cake before the next series of downs?"

Posted by: thediesel | October 12, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I use that "squinting in pain" look when I want to leave work early by faking a migraine.

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 12, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Getting carted off the field during the Lions game for a bruised butt showed me that he was a waste of money. He looks incredibly sloppy and slobby out there.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | October 12, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

How unprofessional for Sam to make such comments.

Posted by: rlj1 | October 12, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Yeah rlj1, so unprofessional considering that his job is to comment his opinion about defensive play...

If the media had just done their job the Skins would have romped!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 12, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

they should tie a cheeseburger around the qbs neck,that should keep buttersworth motivated

Posted by: DLESMonday | October 12, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

“We can’t bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell them stories that don’t go anywhere. Like that time I took the ferry over to Shelbyville; I needed a new heel for my shoe. So, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. ‘Give me five bees for a quarter,’ you’d say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have any white onions, because of the war; the only thing you can get was those big yellow ones.” - Grandpa Simpson

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Nate, that's pretty clearly one of the Conan O'Brien-written episodes. Love it.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 12, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth (DNP - Fat)

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 12, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Well; are we surprised when you bring in a an out of shape over four hundred pound been out of the league, undiciplined former first round draft pick offensive tackle who basically can't play and then we bring in an almost 400lb def.tackle and pay him get this, forty million dollars and he is winded every game that's about you need to know about this fat azz sucker yeah he can collapse the pocket but for that kind of money he should able to collapse the opposing offensive line by himself.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 12, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Right on, Stevie. I love Sam like a loony uncle, but he's been the Jon Jansen of the broadcast team for years now.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 12, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Well if you weighed 400 pounds you'd be winded after a few plays too whether on offense or defense. Come to think of it...did Mike Williams have to come out after every few plays? As a guard he's pushing back on those 400 pound defensive tackles like Fat Albert.

Posted by: bullwinkle1 | October 12, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought most of you deadskin fans were saying he would be the missing piece to an already top 5 defense? Now you all call him fat. Lol pathetic and fickle as always

Posted by: YakAttack | October 12, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Mike Wise mentioned this morning on his radio show that after yesterday's game in the locker room, he tried to get a word from Fat Albert, but he blew right by him heading straight to the food table loaded with pizza and chicken. HEY HEY HEY! IT'S FAT ALBERT!!!

Posted by: akjproductions | October 12, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, his borderline senility is so evident on-radio, I just love it.

Listening in the car: Huff says something even I - not watching the game - know is wrong; uncomfortable silence in the booth, one, two, two-and-a-half; Sonny says "That was . . . , Sam."; "Oh, right, I got the numbers/players/city-we're-in confused."

Man gave - and took - some hits in his day.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | October 12, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

even if sam is losing it he is right on haynesworth. 92 is a force but takes too many plays off that he wouldnt need if he were in better shape.

though on the list of redskin problems, this doesnt crack the top 20

Posted by: jpfterps | October 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

In the past I put stock in what Sonny & Sam said (especially Sonny) and would always turn the sound off on the TV and listen to them on the radio. Now that they employees of Dan Snyder's Redskins Broadcast Network, I never know what is objective info from these two beloved former Redskins and what is Snyder propaganda. Ever since Snyder's boy Larry Michaels forced out Sam Herzog, the radio show has gone downhill and lost credibility because it's just another media outlet owned by The Dan.

Posted by: MrMerkin | October 12, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm tired. Check, please?

Posted by: richs91 | October 12, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth may not have the numbers yet, but he's been a force. Ask London Fletcher whether he appreciates Albert drawing doubleteams up the middle.

Fletcher could set career tackle numbers this year if he stays healthy and Haynesworth hits the gas during the offense's three-and-outs.

Come to think of it, I guess not many defenders get much time to rest during the game.

Posted by: MyJobsMyCredit | October 12, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyJobsMyCredit | October 12, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth: big waste of money, or BIGGEST waste of money?

I hate Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: brian71490 | October 12, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

This is news? A media employee mocking a Redskin? Did you hear WTEM et al today? Apparently the chains are officually off. As for Huff, hey .. they guy's earned it and it's player on player. Plus, there is that supporting evidence. If AH doesn't like it, he knows where to find Huff. For the rest? You'll be joining in with Huff soon. AH, like a lot of big time players, ain't going to hurt himself for a team going no where. And, let's face it, it's over for this year. Expect to see plenty more flopping around through December.

Posted by: tslats | October 12, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

No one in sports is worth the money the athletes get paid today. NO BODY. Don't believe me? Go to the game and buy a hot dog and a beer. You people either BOYCOTT or you're a bunch of suckers for Snyder.

Posted by: hessone | October 12, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I think its Big Al's meds. He ain't right. Its anti- stomping heads meds. 100 million doesn't matter. He wants to be Reggie White. Someone convert..

Posted by: dmlopez1 | October 12, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

We all know Haynesworth is an out of shape blob. It gets old hearing him take shots at it every play. That's part of why the pbp isn't worth listening to anymore.

Posted by: sitruc | October 13, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 12, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

FLATUENCE! Ask the trainers, notice how far they are off to the side!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 13, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Huff like B-Mitch and Al Coken will be next to feel the wrath of the Danny! Huff you better keep your comments to a minimum, Danny boy is a listening!

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 13, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse