Samuels To "Figure Out" His Plans Next Week

Chris Samuels, to my knowledge, made his first public remarks about his scary injury during a ceremony at Eleanor Roosevelt High on Tuesday. Comcast SportsNet has the footage.

"Very difficult moment and it was extremely scary," Samuels said to CSN. "Just kind of sat down out there and laid out and the trainers they came out there and kind of tended to me. But everything came back, so I felt pretty good, and I got up and walked off the field, so thank God I didn't have to get carted off. Didn't want to scare my girlfriend, my family, so it was just a blessing just to get up off that field."

For fans of Chris Samuels, it's all pretty comforting, but for fans of the Redskins' offense, there's still cause for serious concern. And obviously, this means serious concerns of the "silly football loving" kind, which are less important than serious concerns of the health kind.

"I'm out this week," Samuels said, "and Tuesday I'll meet with the doctor again just kind of to reassess everything and just figure out what I want to do."

Stay tuned on this one, because what Samuels wants to do may determine whether the wheels fall off entirely.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 13, 2009; 10:14 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Ticket Prices Hit 10-Year Low?
Next: Skins Fans Carry Signs in Carolina

Comments

Get well soon!!!!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

He's done. Can't say I blame him.

Posted by: mack1 | October 13, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Given Samuels' health concerns, which presumably mgmt knew about for some time, how could Snyderrato not address the o-line in the offseason? Now we need two tackles and a guard and a backup guard/center. Unbelievable. Can we put Big Al at left tackle? Given his contract, he should play both ways. Oh yah, he can barely play one way.....

Posted by: boot1 | October 14, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Good well soon, Chris. Thanks for your years of wonderful service to the Washington Redskins. Good luck to you in all your future endeavors. Please be smart and Walk Away while the walking is good.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 14, 2009 3:07 AM | Report abuse

"Given Samuels' health concerns, which presumably mgmt knew about for some time, how could Snyderrato not address the o-line in the offseason?"

We've had OL issues for the last 10 years. Snyderatto never cared about the OL before, why would the start now?

OL don't sell jerseys.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Take care of yourself, Chris. I'd love to see you back on the line but this team is headed for a losing season with or without you. So take care of your body and make sure you can golf, play with your kids, etc when you are retired.

Posted by: calhokie | October 14, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

OL don't sell jerseys.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

If you truly believe this has anything whatsoever to do with any decisions the Skins management has ever made, you're even more delusional than you've shown in your previous posts. The Skins replaced the 2 O-lineman that fans most wanted to replace this past offseason. Did you somehow forget this?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"If you truly believe this has anything whatsoever to do with any decisions the Skins management has ever made, you're even more delusional than you've shown in your previous posts."

If you believe it doesn't, then you haven't been paying attention for the last decade. If you have a better explanation for the startling lack of OL depth on this team, a direct result of not drafting them, please explain.

"The Skins replaced the 2 O-lineman that fans most wanted to replace this past offseason. Did you somehow forget this?"

What does that have to do with anything? See, this is how I know you're an idiot. It's not about "replacing" anyone. It's not about going out and getting free agents to fill "holes." An OL is a unit, it contains five players, but a good one funtions as a single entity. A good OL is not purchased, it's grown. The mark of a quality OL is its depth. You can't buy depth, you cultivate it.

The startling lack of OL draft picks over the course of Synderatto's regin of terror is all but directly responsible for this team's offensive shortcommings.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Get well? The guy is living with a permanent condition fo which playing football put him at risk! I love the Redskins and would love for them to be successful. This was the guy's warning shot to shut it down and call it a day. I saw him drop to a knee. The "shot" was far from the worst he ever took and was not really that severe at all for O-line play.

I respect chris samuels, appreciate everything he has done for the team, but I would strongly advise and appreciate that he shut it down and retire. There's another player in the NFL out for the year due to a neck stinger. Samuels should due the same.

Posted by: oknow1 | October 14, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The Skins as a management team were very negligent in not addressing the offensive line. Replacing two of the missing links was not nearly enough. Anyone with a boys league football team knows that if the offensive line doesn't go then the team doesn't go.

I've read a lot of posts here about how bad Jason Campbell, how long he holds the ball, that he can't read defenses, doesn't go through his progressions properly, on and on. I agree with some of this.

However, I'm not foolish enough to confuse what this team has now with the glory years of Skins Superbowl championships. There is one thing this team and those teams have in common.

At the time, Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien were all considered average quarterbacks at best. None of them played on par with the superstar QBs of their time. But for a moment, they were on the best TEAMS.

It's not that difficult for most football fans to understand but somehow this current management doesn't get it. In the NFC, specially in the NFC East, an effective running game is a must. In order to run effectively, the combination is simple - an offensive line that knows how to, and is capable of great run blocking and a back or two that can take responsibility for shedding at least one defender.

These things are what made the Gibbs 1 era passing game so effective and at times devastating to their opponents. Remember the red zone for Gibbs started at mid field, not at the 20.

We do not have an effective line. They don't run block well enough and don't pass block well enough. We'd need Peyton Manning to make this offense go - and only because he's smart enough to control the defense before the snap. How many teams have a Manning at QB? Only two.

Campbell is good enough if you build and adjust your team around the philosophy to match the talent. This current "team" - coaching staff, chief executive, and owner combined - has never done that.

So why should anyone ever expect them to do anything other than flounder as they have over the last decade?

Posted by: BenThere | October 14, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

sad to say this could be it on chris samuels' career in the nfl. he has had issues with his spine his whole career and now it appears the risk to his health might be too great to continue playing.

Posted by: goose33 | October 14, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Samuels has a condition known as "spinal stenosis" where his backbone is impinging on the nerve endings in his spinal column. It's a permanent condition that can result in painful ambulation, numbness, and in the worst cases paralysis.

Last Sunday absolutely should be his last game as a redskin if he competent medical advice.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oknow1 | October 14, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Are you a doctor? Have you specifically treated someone with this condition? If the answer to either of these questions is no, then STFU!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

LT Chris Samuels, drafted by Snyderrato
LG Derrick Dockery, drafted by Snyderrato
C Casey Rabach, free agent aquisition by Snyderrato
LG Chad Reinhart, drafted by Snyderrato
LT Stephon Heyer, rookie free agent pick up by Snyderrato (would've been drafted were it not for knee injury at MD)

Younger in 3 O-line positions than we were last year. Will in all likelihood draft an O-lineman in first round next year. And I don't recall too many Redskins fans complaining when we used our 1st round pick to draft Orakpo this past year, now do I?

Samuels played in something like 70+ consecutive starts until the end of last year. Most thought him not injury prone. But you know what? Football is a contact sport. Unforeseen injuries happen. So now we must play without Samuels for at least this week, and hopefully get him back by the Philly game.

We win both games we are 4-3, and the hyperventilating and misplaced anger will subside.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Really?

Your counter argument is "We have drafted 3 offensive linemen in the last decade?"

Seriously, is that the point that you're trying to make here? You're arguing that the front office has *not* systematically neglected the OL over the last decade, and your backup for that is...the fact that they have drafted exactly 3 OL in the last decade.

I just want to make sure that I understand the argument that you're trying to make here. Am I following?

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Really?

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

What a shocker, more lies and distortions from VTDuffman, the bog's resident history revisionist. Don't like the facts, so why not change them around a little eh VTDuffman?

Please show me where I said we have drafted only 3 O-lineman in the last decade? And if you yourself actually believe we have drafted only 3 0-lineman the last 10 years then why are you even commenting on the Redskins, considering that would signal you know so very little about the team?

Fact: The Redskins have drafted 10 O-lineman in the last decade

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Barno, my mistake. You were listing the starters.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Barno, I have read your comments for a while now. You must be on Danny Boy's payroll. If not, you are a fool. The O-line has not been close to adequately addressed. The injuries and LACK OF DEPTH there are what sank last season. Getting Dockery was a good move, but thinking Heyer was the answer at tackle was crazy. Not getting ready for Samuels inevitable breaking down was crazy. They have paid to little attention to the O-line far far too long, and it is coming back to bite them. The O-line is the foundation of any successful team. that is not rocket science. But, it is not glamerous, and that is why Danny ignores it. Wilbon's article today is dead on. If Danny truly loves the skins, he will take a page out of Jack Kent Cooke's book. He will hire a true football mind to run things, and then stay out of the way. He should sign the checks and do nothing else. Until this happens, the Skins are doomed to repeat the cycle of awful that they are stuck in. If you honestly think we will win the next 2 games and everything will be fine, you must be high. They might beat Kansas City, but Philly should hammer them. Don't get me wrong, I love the Skins and have been a die hard fan since the George Allen days. But, I am also a realist. We are staring down the barrel of some brutal games, and we are not equipped to compete on a level field.

Posted by: jerrypeggyh | October 14, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"The injuries and LACK OF DEPTH there are what sank last season."

Lack of depth? What are you talking about. The braintrust drafts one whole lineman a year. You're acting as if a unit on the field consisting of roughly 25% of the team isn't adequately developed using an entire pick every year.

That said, considering the amount of picks we usually have every year, one of them each year is a pretty big commitment, percentage-wise.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Fact: The Redskins have drafted 10 O-lineman in the last decade

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 11:17 AM

Well they obviously didn't pick the right players, considering they have arguably the worst o-line in the league.

You're an idiot Barno. What's your take going to be next week after the Chiefs loss?

Posted by: edr04 | October 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edr04 | October 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

If you've been reading my comments on here for any length of time, you'd know by now my take next Monday will be to call you out for being the idiot that thought we'd lose to the Chiefs at home.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Fact: The Redskins have drafted 10 O-lineman in the last decade

Posted by: Barno1

Well Gosh, how could anyone forget about Michael Moore, Reggie Coleman, Mark Wilson, Jim Molinaro, and soon to be Chad Rhinehardt considering all that they've added to the team!

Fact: The redskins have drafted exactly TWO offensive lineman in the first three rounds of the draft (aka the talent rounds) since Dan has controlled the draft. (Jansen was a Casserly pick).

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Silly me I also forgot chad Rinehardt, since I was just blown away by his overwhelming unbenchable talent, change my two to three

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Attention Draft Geek,

There is nothing wrong with adding a quality free agent if they're available for the right price, and Randy Thomas and Casey Rabach were fine additions to this football team. Now Thomas has clearly become very injury prone in his later years, but this is his 7th year with the team and Rabach's 5th year...not exactly bad. I know it would make you sleep better at night if these 2 guys had been acquired through the draft instead of free agency, but it wouldn't have made a lick of a difference on the actual football field.

But by all means, please me know when you find an NFL team that does not acquire any players through free agency.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice attempt at changing the subject

YOU were the one who originally brought up the 10 draft picks as proof that Snyderatto has not ignored the o-line the past decade. I was merely pointing out that 7 to 8 of the 10 were marginal players or complete busts that were taken in the later rounds of the draft. I couldn't care less if Snyder built a complete team of free agents and somehow kept it under the salary cap if we had competent players at the most important positions on the offense.

The FACT is our offensive line consists of two talented injury prone players, a good but not great center left guard, and marginal, scrap-heap players for right tackle and depth. When your only consistent pro bowl line man is replaced by D'anthony Batiste and later Stephon Heyer, the FACT is that management ignored the offensive line

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Well I disagree that they ingored it. They clearly did anything but ignore it actually. As I said, when you're replacing 40% of your O line in one off season, that's not ignoring. Now, so far we've lost our 2 best o linemen so things don't look good as a result. But if Thomas and Samuels were healthy, this line would be fine in my opinion.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

How about ignored the "talent" level on the offensive line for a long time? Because yes they clearly did replace aging, soon to be retired good players with good and marginal players. And yes if Thomas and Samuels WERE healthy, the line would not look so bad.

But Thomas and Samuels are aging and have not been healthy for a long period of time. The prospect of one getting injured should have been acknowledged long before this year. I don't know how, with the talent downgrades and injury red flags, you can honestly continue to argue that management did not ignore the talent level on the offensive line

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"But if Thomas and Samuels were healthy, this line would be fine in my opinion. "

Better, Yes. Fine, no. We would still have Heyer at RT which means that there would exist no consistent running game to the right side. All other issues aside I cannot believe that they can go forward with Heyer penciled in as a starter in the years to come. He is not a starter.

Posted by: blinders1 | October 14, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

But if Thomas and Samuels were healthy, this line would be fine in my opinion.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 12:45 PM

If, ifs and buts where candy and nuts.......

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 12:15 PM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Barno doesn't like facts like that.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

This is how we know the Skins have ignored the line for a while:

D'Anthony Batiste

Posted by: jpfterps | October 14, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Jpfterps, when you are agreeing with Poopy McPoop on personnel matters, you may have re-evaluate your position.

I haven't seen enough out Batiste to say he's worthless--he looked bad on a couple plays last sunday, but has been with several other teams (Dallas, Carolina, Atlanta) so does that mean all of them have ingored their lines too? Or does it mean not all your back ups on any team are going to be guys with tons of experience?

Look, as i've said before, if it had been up to me I'd have kept either Kendall or Jansen as a back up. I thought we needed a guy on the bench who had been a long time starter, like Ray Brown a few years back. But I also didn't expect BOTH samuels and thomas to be out this early...at least not samuels, who had become mr. dependable the last 5 or 6 years until the end of last year.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

The point that you continue to ignore is that all of the talent on the offensive line was aging and injury prone. We replaced two of the oldest with good and marginal players. The entire rest of the line is backed up by marginal at best talent. The only way the "plan" would have worked this year is for somehow Stephon Heyer not to suck and for old and injury prone Thomas/Samuels to play every down of 16 games.

Old core, ZERO effective backups, no long term plan, and only one recent addition from the high rounds of the draft = IGNORING THE OFFENSIVE LINE

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse