Scenes From the Burgundy Revolution: Chiefs

I walked out of FedEx Field with the crowd Sunday afternoon, so I could get a good whiff of the Burgundy Revolution. The first guy I saw was waving his arms and sort of grunting in obvious disgust. I asked him if we could chat.

"Don't talk to me, sir," he said.

Seemed like he meant it. So instead I talked to his friend, 37-year old Ron Curington of Olney, who first swore loudly, then changed his message to "Goshdarnit!"

"In reality," he said, "we're the worst team in the NFL."

I'm not sure how to describe the scene after the game. I walked one entire loop around FedEx Field. Some people were just sitting around and eating hamburgers. Some were falling over drunk, or trying to start fights. That's pretty typical. But there were also people like John Shermer of Frederick, a season ticket holder who was striding horizontally through the parking lots, screaming "NO MORE DAN SNYDER!" Or Allison Barnes of Fairfax, who was trying to get a "Dan Snyder's Got to Go!" chant started in front of the Comcast SportsNet set.

Or Ben Reiffen, who plays his saxophone outside sporting events in Baltimore, D.C., College Park and Annapolis. His jazzy tunes were shouted down by the crowd, which asked for something more depressing. So Reiffen played "Amazing Grace." And he played "Swing Low Sweet Chariot." And he played "Let It Be." And he played "Taps."

There's something sort of eerie, walking around a massive asphalt expanse filled with garbage, seeing people mumbling to themselves, or shouting out in anger, or chanting slogans, while listening to a saxophone belt out funeral songs. That's not what sporting entertainment is supposed to feel like, exactly.

"I'm yelling at the whole damn system" screamed Tony Peden of D.C., when we chatted inside the stadium. I found Tony just kind of ambling around the 400-level concourse, yelling. This happens a lot, nowadays.

"If we could impeach a [dang] owner, I wish we could do that," Peden continued. "I've been angry for two years."

Yeah, anger, that was the main emotion. It was kind of a diffuse anger, people letting the fury simmer in their own personal halo. There weren't really mass chants, although about two dozen or so fans started a "Sell the Team" cry in front of the owner's box at halftime, and lots of people used lines like "Fire the owner" or "Impeach the owner." There had been lots of talk about a Blackout, and I saw thousands of people dressed in black, but virtually everyone I approached who was wearing black had no idea what I was talking about.

So rather than real Revolution, it came down to individual displays of anger. Mike and Chris, with their "Dumb and Dumber" signs, posing for dozens of photos with other fans; "We're fed up," Mike told me. "Sick and tired of the same old thing."

Kasey Currle of Fairfax, in a homemade sweatshirt protesting the Snyder and Cerrato regime; "I'm just absolutely disgusted," he said. "I decided today that enough was enough. It's over."

Curtis Dunn and Mike Ryan, taking photos of the empty concourse to show their friends.

"This is the lightest I've ever seen it," Dunn said. "I'll tell you, I think the Redskins have reached the tipping point, or at least the fanbase has," added Ryan, who recently gave up his season tickets.

I met Joe Horneman of Falls Church, who called his uncle as he walked out of the stadium, shouting "did you watch this absolute farce of an abomination."

And Ajay Joshi of Atlanta, who noted that "I flew up here for this atrocity."

And Denette Cooke of Virginia Beach, a fan since '72, wearing a Jason Campbell jersey, and shouting "GO RAVENS" during the long walk away from the stadium. ("This is woeful, this is the worst they've ever been," she said.)

Then there was Mary Stevens from D.C., a season-ticket holder for 15 years who tried starting a "Sell the Team" chant on her way out.

"The fans are restless," she told me. "The only way this thing is going to be improved is if we have a good football leadership from the top down, and an owner who understands football."

While we were talking, a car rolled by, window down. "Owner shmowner," the passenger shouted out at us. "We'll never win unless we bring a real GM to town."

That's the kind of scene it was, people just randomly shouting out their gripes. After that first guy told me to stay away, I only approached people whom I could hear openly discussing their concerns. Trust me, I had no shortage of people to approach. Dave Dresser shouted out "Burgundy Revolution" when he saw me, and told me that he had to eat several tickets because he couldn't find anyone willing to pay even $5. Frank Falkenhan and Sumitro Pal ate three tickets; "you can't give 'em away," Falkenhan said.

"In 25 years, they've never been this mad," said Sid Crowe of Fairfax, standing with his children. "They say it's been a bad year? No, it's been a bad decade."

(How bad: JIM BOWDEN is talking junk. "How to get your 1st win? just play Redskins," he wrote on his Twitter feed.)

One of the last fans I met was a 26-year old named Chris, a fan his whole life. After he and 15 of his friends saw last week's loss in Carolina, he turned the Redskins flag on his truck upside down. That's how it remained after Sunday's loss to the Chiefs.

"It's pretty much obvious," he said, when I asked about his message. "Distress."

FedEx, during the first offensive snap.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 18, 2009; 7:13 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cerrato Discusses the Offensive Line
Next: Tony Dungy: "This is Not a Good Thing"

Comments

I've never been so happy about an empty stadium...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | October 18, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

first to say, Dan Snyder needs to drop dead

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I also never thought I'd see the day when the Redskins' waiting list was a thing of the past. it's coming.

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 18, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

yet they keep showing up to Fed Ex field every sunday and giving $$$ to support Snyder

Posted by: Bagher | October 18, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

would be interesting to see pics of the home field side of the stadium to see that that was as empty on the first snap as the other side was.

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 18, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

(_&*^^%#%*$%&*^*(&)&_)&(*^&*()%*)%

Posted by: hessone | October 18, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Over/under on first skins tv blackout? I'd say if vinny is still here next year, it could be the third home game...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 18, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Sell the team, Dan, just sell the team.

Posted by: Bob22003 | October 18, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

somewhere, barno1 is smiling and thinking about how great this team is...

Posted by: bacaje | October 18, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Redskin's fan all my life -- from the age of five. Forty-two years. Washington needs to boycott the Redskins until Snyder sells the team, are at minimum brings in a qualified coach and general manager.

Posted by: nehemia2001 | October 18, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow -- reading the original post and these comments I'm really glad I don't follow football.

And I thought the Nationals' season was painful. But it appears that was nothing compared to how you guys seem to be feeling.

Posted by: greggwiggins | October 18, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

They can scream all kinds of cute stuff but the reality is that these morons have already paid extravagant amounts of money just to take more of Snyder's BS (which they knew would happen before the start of the season). So who are the biggest fools here?

Posted by: playahatah | October 18, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

countdown to the Redskins requesting that Steinz takes his photos down...

3... 2... 1...

Posted by: littles_ | October 18, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, the Redskins make DC United look good.

Posted by: dutchvision | October 18, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

first to say, Dan Snyder needs to drop dead

Posted by: greatteamdan | October 18, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I am sure your not the first to say it.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 18, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

It's all about this strange infatuation Danny has for Vinnie. We have the worst offensive line in the league, so no one can be expected to be a success with such a lack of talent. Vinnie is TOTALLY responsible for our drafts and free agent pick ups over the past several years, and anyone with an objective eye can see that Vinnie is NOT a good GM. Snyder will never sell the team, but he can hold folks like Vinnie accountable.

Zorn is over his head, but is trying to learn on the fly. Vinnie gave him a weak offensive line which became the league's worst due to injuries. No one would succeed in this environment.

I hope the Jason Campbell experiment is over for good. Even though it is rare that he has some time to throw, you can still see the fear in his eyes. Collins will get better as he shakes the rust off his game.

Posted by: TrackCollector | October 18, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

You want to start a Burgundy revolution? Stop going to games. Stop buying tickets, even on the secondary market. Stop buying jerseys. Stop buying merchandise. Stop listening to 980. Stop shopping at stores that are the "official whatever of the Washington Redskins." Stop eating at Johnny Rockets. If people keep making the Redskins the first or second most profitable franchise, nothing will change. The only thing Snyder seems to understand is money. So hit him in the wallet.

Posted by: MConnor77 | October 18, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

@greatteamdan

The Redskins waiting list is already a thing of the past. I've heard stories from people I trust that they've been called multiple times over the past couple years by the Skins trying to sell them tickets.

I've never seen a Redskins stadium as sparse as what it looked like on TV today.

Dan Snyder is the worst thing to ever happen to DC sports.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | October 18, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Check it out: www.impeachdansnyder.com.

The revolution has begun.

Posted by: EsmithatWM | October 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

somewhere, barno1 is smiling and thinking about how great this team is...

Posted by: bacaje | October 18, 2009 7:37 PM

hahahahahahahahahahaha. no sh!t

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 18, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richardjg37 | October 18, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Shut up Jim Bowden! You were just as bad a GM for the Nats!!

Posted by: rachel216 | October 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Until Snyder goes, it won't get any better. That's not likely to happen anytime soon which means I probably will never see the 'skins field a consistent winning product again in my lifetime. What a sick thought.

Posted by: jfern03 | October 18, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

The official attendance is listed at 79,542. NO WAY it was that many. Snyder has his lackey's inflating figures to deflect critisism.

Posted by: CHICO13 | October 18, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand the Skins but even I have pity on gamers like Moss, Cartwright Cooley and Portis and, yes, even Skins fans. Snyder is the biggest chump in pro sports...outclassing Davis, Steinbrenner and Huizenga, among other losers.

Posted by: Jerkstore | October 18, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | October 18, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | October 18, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

HOW ABOUT THEM COWBOYS??!!!!!???!!! GO DALLAS!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL....I LUV IT WHEN THE SKINS LOSE!!!!

Posted by: infrequentposter | October 18, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

i brrn a fan 40 years i stoped watchin. everyone should stay outside the stadium for next monday nites game . not even go in.

Posted by: mikes2760 | October 18, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

"Collins will get better as he shakes the rust off his game."

Please. He is going to fare worse than Campbell behind the worst oline in the NFL. Collins is the answer to nothing, he will be mauled next week if he plays.

Posted by: divi3 | October 18, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

"all this criticism is not going to put the oxygen and bacon into Big Al's mouth."

Fat Al was absolutely dominant today. Frickin travesty we have the worst offense in the NFL.

Posted by: divi3 | October 18, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

The real genius is Steve Spurrier -- he took some of Schnyder's bank and got the heck out of Dodge.

Posted by: dkbain1 | October 18, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

It's about freaking time they brought TC in. Sorry about the loss, but it's hardly surprising with everything else going on.

Let's not get embroiled in a QB controversy this week. Just give Collins his snaps with the first team during practice this week -- and keep Campbell's backside firmly planted on the pines.

Maybe Sherm Lewis can even develop or call a few plays specifically for TC's skillset.

Is Jeff Garcia still available?

Posted by: Vic1 | October 18, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why people spend money to see these idiots. Football fans have more brain damage than the players.

Posted by: mortified469 | October 18, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I have a suggestion...Stop going to the bleeping games! I always hear how it's insane to do the same thing and expect different results. Well, why do these idiot fans keep going to games expecting this team to be any good? That's INSANE if you ask me.

Posted by: Gary22 | October 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Why the hell are these people going to the games?

Rambling around drunk after the game means unless they carried a tailgate buzz, or snuck booze past security, they dropped more cash into Snyder's pocket via the beer man. Remember that next time you see Haynesworthless wheezing on the field.

For the love of your god and mine, STOP lining this man's pockets.

Posted by: Keliza64 | October 18, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

I dont understand how long it will take everyone to realize thats calling for campbell's head. It doesnt matter who starts at quarterback, because as long as we have a owner and a "gm" who hires a quarterback coach as a head coach with all playcalling duties, we will not be successful. Until snyder sells the team and cerrato leaves the job to someone with a remote amount of intelligence, this team will be abysmal at best.

Posted by: yonib91 | October 18, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, remember the Papa John special that gives you a free topping for each touchdown scored.

Enjoy your cheese pizza!

Posted by: BO__Stinks | October 18, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

On 2nd thought, BOYCOTT all Skins sponsors.

Posted by: BO__Stinks | October 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

A big shout out to all the fans who stayed home today. That is the only way the fans can show disguist that actually might get some attention.

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 18, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

At least I'm old enough to recall the glory years with Jack Kent Cooke, George Allen, and of course Joe Gibbs I. I really feel sorry for those who are too young to remember the last Super Bowl season of '91. and who now have nothing but years of failure and desolation to look forward to.

Posted by: justmike | October 18, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

On 2nd thought, BOYCOTT all Skins sponsors.

Posted by: BO__Stinks | October 18, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

dude, thats the smartest thing i've seen all day. dont just stop buying beers at fed ex. go into poppa johns and tell them you just ordered a domino's pie cause any organization stupid enough to associate w/ the skins is not good enough to get my business. when companies stop paying danny to be the "official d0uch of the washington redskins" it will hurt.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 18, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

FIRE VINNY. We can't fire Dan Snyder but maybe we can pressure him to fire his lackey VINNY. After all of these lousy draft choices, can't we get a real football person to run this team?

Posted by: kinsman_bob | October 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I have to say the picture of the fans and the sign with "Dumb and Dumber" cracked me up b/c the first instinct is to think of Danny and Vinny, but in reality, it's us fans who keep paying for this crap! A double edged sword picture...

Posted by: skinsfanoops | October 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Time to become Caps fans, people. Give it a try - find a way into a game and you'll be hooked. They're the most exciting sports team in the world, no exaggeration. Every football fan outside DC is glad he doesn't live in DC, but every hockey fan in the world (even Pittsburgh, though they won't admit it yet) wishes the Capitals were their team.

Posted by: wifflebomb | October 18, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Posted by: FredKnowsBest | October 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

don't forget, it was worst in 1998 (0-7 start) and 2001 (0-5 start). Remmber, Charley Casserly was not as great as people think. Remember, he hired Norv, drafted Shuler, Westbrook, Lang, Reggie Brooks, Tom Carter as well. GM's are no guarantee.

Posted by: tramellcanady | October 18, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

To Dan S.--Take a cruise with your Cruise and sell the team--that's what my family is doing with it's season tickets--been going since Griffith Stadium days...

Posted by: taf4 | October 18, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

SKINS NATION DO NOT BLAME DAN SNYDER!! It is the players and the coach fault ..How could you lose to the Chiefs? Lions?

Posted by: nativeva1 | October 18, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone keep referring to those who were in attendence as "lining Snyder's pockets?" First of all, Redskin season tickets were paid for in March 2009, when hope was still springing eternal. The people that attended the game today (myself included) did not stand at a ticket window and hand Dan our $99.00 per ticket. That damage was done months ago. In fact, I would be willing to guess that 90% of those in attendence were given the seats from a friend or family member. Its okay to knock our mere presence at the game if you must, but dont act as though we are lining up at the ticket window each week to pay for this product. On another note, Profootballtalk.com is reporting that many within the organization are convinced that Zorn's fate is INTERTWINED with Cerrato's. That may be the best news we have heard in a LONG time.

Posted by: rob10873 | October 18, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

An open letter to Ted Leonsis:

Please Ted -- buy the Redskins!

Rock the Red -- they win!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Freeman72 | October 18, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect....the problem is Snyder! From the high priced players we get, who eat up cap room so we can't create depth at all positions, to the unwillingness to hire a true intelligent GM, to the heavy handed way he runs the organization, Snyder has created only failed structures for this team. Other than bringing Coach Gibbs back five years ago, Snyder has been an utter failure. The years with Gibbs, which were supposed to be a football learning experience for Snyder, were totally wasted. Snyder hasn't followed any of the patterns Gibbs tried to structurally re-establish. Bottom line is this....As long as Snyder owns the team, we are doomed.

All of Redskin nation should begin a campaign and a chant..."Sell The Team...Sell The Team". I heard a great idea that during next week's Monday Night game against the Eagles, everyone should walk out and show their anger toward an inept ownership and management. What better place than D.C. to exert some political muscle from the fans!

Posted by: DFi4487 | October 18, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

I LOL'd at the two guys holding the Dumb and Dumber signs. They need another sign with arrows pointing at themselves saying "Dumbest", for putting more money in Snyder's pocket.

Posted by: joemdavis55 | October 18, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

The Deadskins just like any other Washington sports team are a JOKE. STOP paying for TICKETS. DO NOT SUPPORT THEM. You couldn't pay me to watch them on TV.

Posted by: youngciscero | October 18, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tramellcanady

In 2001, Marty cut literally everyone with a big salary with the intention of starting over and rebuilding. (You forgot to mention how they finished 8-3, despite having very little talent)

In 1998, Our team was stuck in the limbo of in-between ownership. John Kent Cooke was more worried about maintaining control of the team than spending on players. Also, Norv and charlie were good to mediocre at their jobs (never great). Despite all of this, the redskins continued to build from the mid-90's reboot and WIN THE DIVISION THE FOLLOWING YEAR. And yet, Dan Snyder completely ruined everything that was building for five years in the next off season by destroying the chemistry of that team.

The redskins have had some bad years in the past that weren't Dan Snyders fault. But if you honestly think that ANY COMPETENT GM could not do a better job than the current braintrust, you haven't been paying attention

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 18, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nativeva1 | October 18, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse
___________________________________________

Dan Snyder HIRED VINNIE CERRATO... since O-line doesn't sell jerseys he doesn't draft any at orders from Snyder.. which is why the Redskins lose Samuels & Thomas, then have no replacements to take their place & play at an NFL level... Snyder is the #1 reason this team stinks! He wants to play fantasy football instead of hiring a real GM to run his franchise... Currently the team has no authoritative figure & the players are running the asylum instead of a Coach or GM... Zorn has no authority, which completely undermines the position of head coach... Why is Denver 5-0?? Everybody knows Josh McDaniels is in charge & if they don't play hard, they will be unemployed.

Posted by: tony325 | October 19, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Redskins: Why don't you just give up on this season...oh, wait...you already have...uh...why not just lie down and let everybody else walk on you...uh...how would that be different from what you're already doing...uh...oh, (expletive deleted) why not just lose all the rest of your games and maybe you can win the Tim Tebow Bowl. Oh, yeah...Does Mr. Boswell REALLY think the Deadskins will be a favorite against the Raiders...after the Raiders beat the Eagles??? This is from a 40 year Redskins fan. IMPEACH SNYDER!!!!!

Posted by: yosemittesam | October 19, 2009 5:22 AM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT THE REDSKINS!!!

Sign the petition to get rid of Snyder!
Redskins Petition
Source: www.mervisdiamond.com
and tell every Redskin fan you know to sign the petition.

Posted by: mattphillips | October 19, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

What a miserable day. Fans should just stop showing upp for the games and then Snyder might get the message and at least fire Cerrato. Snyder should wake up and recognize that Football success requires a skill set he does not have. If he does that, he'll stop torturing Skins fans.

Posted by: Thraex52 | October 19, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

We need to walkout on MNF... I am thinking maybe the end of the 3rd quarter. Maybe the 2 minute warning at the end of the first half... it doesn't matter... every fan stupid enough to go to Fed Ex on Monday night should walk out together... would look great on national television!

Posted by: choccityrj | October 19, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Going to be a sea of green next week at FedEx. Snyder is the worst owner in sports history. Angelos has only killed the on field product in Baltimore, he hasn't turned the fan experience at the stadium into a joke. Snyder's done more - he's destroyed the team and the game experience of watching the team. Danny might have all the money in the world, but everyone will always remember him as a pathetic little d-bag.

Posted by: TGT11 | October 19, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

In 1969, during Vince Lombardi's first interview as new Redskins coach, he was asked how much better he thought the team would be using the "Packer system"? (I imagined the Packer sweep being run by the "Lombardi Redskins" and mentally ordered Super Bowl tickets).

Lombardi's answer; systems (new translation, play calling) have nothing to do with winning. Football is running, passing, blocking and tackling. The team with the most highly skilled players in the best condition win football games. (I mentally tore up my Super Bowl tickets)

I'm sure Sherm Lewis is a great coach but lots of luck to him because I don't see any of the old packers on this roster. Actually, I don't see any of the new Packers either and by the way, what a waste of a perfectly good defense. I wonder if Greg Williams is interested in the soon to be vacant head coaching job.

Posted by: Gray999 | October 19, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Does this mean I can wear my bag this week for the Philly game?

Posted by: rlomax67 | October 19, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

It is a sad day in redskins country. Jim zorn should grow some new one's and should tell the owner and his ignorant GM to stop mandling . No more consultants , no more changes. Trade jason and get some offensive linemen before tommorow trade deadline, we are not going to get anything for him when he decides to go out next year. Burn the play sheet, get six or seven great plays to start the game to get the game going in the right direction.

ask sherm to also develop some plays, consolidate and come up with plays that can under this dysfunctional offensive line.

Find a job somewhere else like cleveland as QB coach and move on.

For the fans , lets all remember how we feel in april next year ,when Dan will open his wallet and marketing hype will go in full about the latest free agent signing, dont buy the hype like we have bought for the last ten year.

Posted by: maz3 | October 19, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

When all the fingers start pointing to each other it means that there is not true leadership.

Norv Turner (a very nice guy) fired.

Marty Shottehnheimer (good coach)was not given enough time and his mistake was to speak his mind.

Steve Spurrier (NFL coach against his wishes) resigned and did the right thing.

Joe Gibbs (excellent decision) resigned for valid personal reasons.

Zorn (another nice guy with no coach or asst coach experience) benched.

The owner has to do a lot of soul search and DELEGATE to knowledgable football consultants and coaches.

MICROMAGEMENT DOES NOT WORK AND YOUR EGO MAKES IT WORST!

Posted by: hampuero | October 19, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"Every football fan outside DC is glad he doesn't live in DC, but every hockey fan in the world (even Pittsburgh, though they won't admit it yet) wishes the Capitals were their team."

ummmm, the pens won the cup. trust me, we're happy with our team.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | October 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are the heart and soul of the DC area. Yes people get excited if the Wizards make the playoffs, and rooting for the Caps last (and this) season is great. But at the end of the day this area cares about the Skins; the one thing to bring this disparate area together. I even remember school being canceled in the District so we could watch the Super Bowl Victory Parade down K St (with Mayor Barry and Gibbs holding the trophy).

This is the worst I've seen the fanbase in my 32 years. I hate Fedex Field, hate almost every decision Synder/Cerrato have made, and hate not winning.

Posted by: page7 | October 19, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

You would be a fool to do what some of these fools on here suggest. "Don't go to Redskins games" or don't support the team"....... Hmmmmm seems like that would not only show you disagree with ownership, but would also show that this area doesn't deserve a team...... The Cleveland Browns are in Baltimore and called the Ravens..... The team they have now has sucked since it was put in Cleveland.....

Be careful what you wish for. I for one like the Redskins win or lose........

Posted by: punchdaclock | October 19, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

This is a tough one for fans to win. It's going to take solidarity, stamina, and the willingness by season-ticket holders and occasional-goers alike to eat tickets for much longer than just a game or two. The Redskins organization is very comfortably positioned to endure a lengthy fan siege, and they are confident they can easily outlast one. And they are probably right. For season-ticket holders, boycotting games means that they already paid for tickets they then must choose not to use. Empty seats is the goal, so you can't sell 'em to someone else (even if you could). You have to eat them. But eating them does not have a bottom-line impact on Dan Snyder because the tickets are already paid for! Do we really think the Skins organization cares if the seat is empty for a few weeks as long as it's paid for? And, of course, season-ticket holders must sign a contract and agree to buy their tickets for X-number of years into the future. Let's not forget the 72-year old woman in 2006 who turned them in and was sued by the Redskins organization (and they won)! In the past 5 years the Redskins have sued 125 season-ticket holders for turning in the tickets before the end of their contracts. And guess what, those same contracts actually allow the Redskins organization to revoke the tickets at any time for any reason! So while they can sue you for turning them in early, you cannot do a thing if they decide to yank them away from you! Anyway, boycotting games will impact concession sales, but not most ticket sales or parking revenue (that gets paid up front too). Empty stands would be an embarrassment; but only through sustained efforts (a season? two seasons?) and the boycotting of merchandise by a strong majority of fans would a meaningful impact be made. It's so frustrating. Remember the days when NFL players were about the game and the team, not about their egos and their paychecks? Remember when personal accountability was required? Remember when players set good exmples for kids and those who didn't "toe the line" paid with their jobs? Remember when teams HAD a line players had to toe? Remember when the players were an active part of your community? Fans who are too young to remember those days missed the real thing. Today, it's just another business designed to milk you out of your money.

Posted by: Fairplayer | October 19, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Be careful what you wish for. I for one like the Redskins win or lose........

Posted by: punchdaclock | October 19, 2009 1:35 PM

Wrong! The Cleveland Browns did not move because of a lack of fan support. Fart Modell moved the team because the mayor of Cleveland was unwilling to finance a new stadium. The city finally coughed up the money once Fart announced, in the Camden Yards parking lot, that he was moving the Browns to Baltimore.

Posted by: mgonter | October 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@richardjg37

"This is so silly. Sure, Dan Snyder has been a disaster, but that's not the point. The disaster has been the free agency system which brings one stranger after another passing through Washington. Remember the mid-eighties when the Redskins were our neighbors, year after year and when the team was truly "of Washington?" This team is no longer "ours," just of bunch of tough guys looking out for a paycheck, here today and gone tomorrow. We'll never recapture the Redskins as we knew them--under Dan Snyder, or under pro football's free agency system. Let's just give it up."

Just look north to Baltimore to see how a team keeps its identity in the free agency era. Draft good players and keep them around, don't trade away said picks, don't overpay in free agency. In terms of football players being your neighbors, you're right that will never happen again.

Posted by: tkrhee | October 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hit Lil Danny where it hurts... Right in the wallet. Stop buying all concessions at home games. No beer, No soda, no tee shirts, hot dogs not even a cup of ice. Then maybe he will come and and address his customers with the respect we deserve.

Posted by: fishndude | October 20, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse