Skins Fans Carry Signs in Carolina

Nearly a year ago, I brought you the story of several friends from Montgomery County--Maryland alums and Skins season ticket holders--who take an annual road trip for a college-Skins doubleheader. Last year, it was Michigan-Michigan State and Skins-Lions, and it was a big success; Washington won, their homemade Hip Hip Hooray signs made it onto the television broadcast, and everyone was happy and optimistic.

Well, the mood, as you might have heard, has soured since then. They had a great time in Knoxville watching Tennessee-Georgia, but the trip to Charlotte for Skins-Panthers was somewhat less entertaining. Still, at least they made their own fan with a few homemade signs.

"We got a lot of attention from both Redskins fans as well as Carolina fans who couldn't agree with us more," one of the guys wrote to me. "In the stadium, several security guards (who were former Redskins fans) let us get close so we could take these pictures (they liked it and didn't feel the need to take the signs).

"After the game we found our way to the Redskins team buses to protest the current ownership. Several players were taking pictures and laughing at the signs (so much for team unity). The bottom line is we know all three buses had plenty of time to see us out there and understand that while we support the team, we loathe the owner.

"I will be there on Sunday at FedEx with my signs. My guess is that I don't make it past the first line of security."

I'm curious if that's true.

PS: If anyone ever wants to see your photo on this here Web site, make like this. Thanks to Charlie, Seth, Mike, Rob and Chris.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 14, 2009; 10:55 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Samuels To "Figure Out" His Plans Next Week
Next: Ovechkin and Semin Scream

Comments

Cease and Desist letter from Danny's lawyers in 3, 2...

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 14, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I love the "cease and desist" and "My guess is that I don't make it past the first line of security" comments. Please. Dan Snyder is not going to stop you from disparaging him in a sign at Fed Ex. Give me a break. Plenty of people bring anti Snyder/Cerrato signs to the stadium. It's become pretty common actually.

Now, if you're trying to bring a brown paper bag, that's a little different. But signs, as long as they don't use offensive or vulgar language, you can say whatever you want.

But if people want to continue believing things are one way when they're actually not, go right ahead.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Love this. Keep up the good work Dan.

HIP HIP HOORAY!

Posted by: mb15 | October 14, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Barno1,

I have been reading your posts here for a while. I don't know why you are wasting time arguing with these narrow minded people.

In Detroit we score from the 1 at the Goal line or Zorn accepts the penalty its a different game or this last week a fluke play and we are talking about a 4-1 team with a chance to be 5-1. Does that mean we would be on our way to Playoffs? No! But we easily could be talking about a 5-1 team here.

And now I don't love Snyder or Cerrato nor did I get exited when Zorn got hired and proclaimed we will a super bowl with him. I mean Honestly did everyone think Zorn was going to lead us to Super Bowl when he got hired? Where was all this bashing in the summer and training camp. This was a 5-11/6-10 team from the get go. What has changed? Do people honestly think that all this bashing will make Snyder sell the team. We've been through this before right before Gibbs 2.0 got hired.

I just think the Media has gone over the top with this. We got the point about 9 years ago of what our front office was all about. You either live with it or go root for the Ravens. To me the memory of 1991 Super Bowl win is eternal and will wear burgundy colors for the rest of my life.

Posted by: lightshow | October 14, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Love it!!! I remember these guys from last year! Looks like they had a blast despite the loss to Carolina.

Posted by: ban_20874 | October 14, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@Barno1: the C&D comment was in reference to the photographs. Remember the photos from FedEx that Dan posted a week or so ago? Well, if you don't remember them, too bad, because they mysteriously vanished from the post after a short time.

Since Dan is most likely not willing and/or able to comment, you can read speculation from the City Paper here:

Posted by: EdTheRed | October 14, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I love the "the media is out to get the 'Skins" argument.

It's almost Glen Beck-like.

Kudos.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

You know what lightshow, if the Rams kicker makes his field goals or ditto for the Bucs kicker we could just as easily be talking about a 1-4 or 0-5 team.

But I guess the other side of the coin for your argument isn't as pretty to point out.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Is the glen beck arguement that the media is out to get Glen Beck or is he out to get the skins? I mean rush wants a team why not Beck.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 14, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

love the "the media is out to get the 'Skins" argument.

It's almost Glen Beck-like.

Kudos.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

At what point did I say Media is out to get Skins? All I said we knew what we had in our owner 9 years ago. Nothing has changed. This Bashing is getting old it started in Week 1.

I think it was a lot more depressing rooting for this team in mid 90's with Norv as our coach and watching Cowboys win Super Bowls.

Its almost like Union(Fans) are getting ready to go on Strike against the big bad wolf the owner.

Posted by: lightshow | October 14, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Im in total agreement with the boys from Montgomery County, loathe the owner, love the team...2 games in 2 days, what a great idea.

Posted by: noneya11 | October 14, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

So lightshow fans should just sit by quietly while a d0uche of an owner does what he's done with our team?

gotcha.

also, it's ashame you didn't address my other post about what our record "could possibly be."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

the dumb and dumber sign needs to become a t-shirt. immediately.

Posted by: jpfterps | October 14, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Those signs were AWESOME!!!! I saw your guys at the Carolina game and got a couple of pictures with you all. I hope I get to see you guys again this Sunday at the game.

Posted by: cdevine2 | October 14, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

RE: jpfterps
the dumb and dumber sign needs to become a t-shirt. immediately.

I agree. No more "Horny for Zorny".

Posted by: mb15 | October 14, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse