Skins Ticket Prices Hit 10-Year Low?

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com/video.

NBC Washington gets into the Burgundy Revolution game, quoting some of the same rebels you've seen mentioned on this site, including a representative from Mervis Diamonds. But the stunner in this piece comes at the end, when a ticket broker says prices starting at $30 for upper-level seats this weekend, and $69 for lower-level seats, marking 10-year lows.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 13, 2009; 8:54 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Riggo Slays Skins Leadership
Next: Samuels To "Figure Out" His Plans Next Week

Comments

First to say KEEP THEM DAMM TICKETS,hit em in the pocket book.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 13, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Current market value on re-sells is just the beginning. If 30k+ tickets start hitting the market for any given game in a season, and renewals drop by 40-50%, then maybe the Danny will start to really feel the message - Get better, get out, or go broke.

Posted by: BinM | October 13, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

First to say KEEP THEM DAMM TICKETS,hit em in the pocket book.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 13, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse \

Spoken by another person I can assure everyone does not attend the games in the first place. I love how easy it is for these people to tell other people to waste the tickets they've spent their hard earned money on. Telling others with such conviction that they should both not go AND not sell their tickets. The nerve of these people. It's easy to boycott something you weren't really supporting financially in the first place, now isn't it?

Predicted response: But, but, I bought a Redskins jersey and hat so that means I've been giving them my money too!"

No, no it doesn't. If you haven't been paying to attend Redskins games, paying for parking, paying for their food and drinks, then don't tell others who have been to boycott the game. Seriously.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1
___________________________________________
Perhaps all future Burgundy Revolution responses should be directed "To all of those who WANT to boycott the game and no that doesn't mean you Barno1"

Since you are getting enjoyment out of the product the current brain trust has cobbled together......by all means, give every ounce of your savings to Dan Snyder if it makes you feel better. There are a growing number of fans who don't feel the same way that you do. What makes you think boycotters haven't been to games, paid for parking, and purchased merchandise themselves? I used to do all of the three, but I refuse to until Danny hires a legitimate General manager and gives him the authority to build a team.

Why do you have the right to tell people what to do with their money and not others?

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 13, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The only time I could afford to pay to watch the Skins was when I happen to be in Minneapolis and the Skins were in town in 07 or 08. I got tickets for $27 each. There was also a lot of snow and a lot of cold that day.

Now the tickets are reasonably "cheap". But why pay $50 when I get a nice view on my HDTV for a team that has all but admitted that this is a rebuilding year.

Posted by: thewrittenword | October 13, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Dont mind Barno guys, he will forever sip the 'Skins/Terps koolaid. To him those teams cannot do wrong, ever.

He loves getting up on his soapbox and telling other people how he's a great fan and those others aren't

Of course does he have season tickets?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 13, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno - Still think there's a lot of demand for these tickets? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Moron!

Posted by: thediesel | October 13, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Important piece.

The biggest asset this franchise has is the waiting list for season tix.

But why buy season tix if you can get them for around face value at a ticket broker?

In the past, people were assured that their season tickets were valuable since game tix were hard to come by at anywhere near face value. Apparently, that's not true any longer.

If people are dumping tickets, the waiting list will shorten dramatically. Considering Danny has the biggest seating capacity in the NFL, its very possible that this team is about to see its financial success change dramatically.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 14, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Um Barno...Youre a freaking Idiot!!!! Sorry no comical retort, just the facts...Geeze dude..guess youre really a fan of all that is crap ... I guess when Syndy gets rid on Vinny, he can come calling on you MR. Yes man 2.0

Posted by: ocskins | October 14, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

When I look at the product I got to see at RFK during the 80's and early 90's - 4 Superbowl seasons and all those great players. I paid $6 for parking and $30 for premium seats. When I yelled loud enough, Redskin players on the bench turned around and noticed me - that's how close you could get to the bench at RFK. My last game was the last game at RFK.

Fedex Field? With their poor seating, poor product, and outrageous prices for everything? I am not putting it in anyone's face, but please don't give Dan money for this product. Some of us know what a real team is from Jack Kent Cooke's days. He built Jack Kent Cooke stadium and died during training camp the season it was to open. Dan changed the name to Fedex Field for 205 million dollars he gets from Fedex to advertise their name. Jack would have had a great team and still kept his name on the stadium!

Posted by: PinotNoir | October 14, 2009 4:02 AM | Report abuse

"The biggest asset this franchise has is the waiting list for season tix."

The waiting list is a myth.

My wife and I signed up on the mythical "waiting list" two years ago. I have been called no less than 15 times and offered season tickets since then.

There is no waiting list, the waiting list is a myth.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Also, I agree with Barno.

If you are happy with this team, its coaching staff, leadership, and front office, then you should *not* boycott the team.

However, if you are dissatisfied, then the only real way to get the message across is to hit the owner in the one place he actually cares about, his wallet.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

So Barno, your intelligent response to the situation is to keep throwing good money after bad? Why cut your losses when you can keep paying for parking and concessions...

Posted by: calhokie | October 14, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"With logic like that and your pollyanna attitude, you are well on your way to being considered as the next GM."

---

There's a prevailing theory that he is actually the current GM.

SHHHH. It's a secret.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 13, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Please show where I ever told anyone what to do with their money. And when you're done with that also please show where I said all boycotters haven't been to games.

Is it really that hard to come up with a counter argument without resorting to distorting my position? Making up a straw man to knock down is the definition of intellectually lazy.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"Making up a straw man to knock down is the definition of intellectually lazy."

Making a straw man is exactly what you did in your first post:

"Spoken by another person I can assure everyone does not attend the games in the first place"

That was your exact response. You don't know that poster from Adam. You don't know how many games they go to, whether they have season tickets or not, yet you can "assure" everyone that they don't go to games.

You may not beleive that "everyone" advocating a boycott doesn't attend games. But every time someone on this board advocates a boycott, you accuse them of not attending games.

Now, please, continue lecturing the rest of the class on "intellectual laziness." I can only assume your lecture on blatant hypocrisy is next.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

There is no waiting list, the waiting list is a myth.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

The waiting list is for general seating not club level you unbelievable moron.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

barno1, please speak up so the rest of us can hear how trite your argument is.

still sounding the horn about how solid and young our offensive line is?

Posted by: bacaje | October 14, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"The waiting list is for general seating not club level you unbelievable moron."

Wait, so anyone can get season tickets at any time?

Some waiting list.

Continue calling me names, it strengthens your argument.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Wait, so anyone can get season tickets at any time?

Some waiting list.

Continue calling me names, it strengthens your argument.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

It's hard not calling you names, considering how unintelligent your comments always are. If there were sometimes an exception and you occasionally wrote something relevant and factual, it would be easier to take you seriously. But you never have anything intelligent to say bro. Sorry.

And the fact that you don't even have the slightest understanding of the waiting list issue just makes it even harder to take you seriously.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

barno1: try reading the facts.

that doesn't sound like club seating to me...

Posted by: bacaje | October 14, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Bacaje, that's the first I've seen of this but would not surprise me if this were bs. When you find me someone who has actually purchased general admission seating without being on the waiting list, let me know. A barely readable scan of an alleged direct mail letter from the team on a washington city paper website doesn't prove anything about someone actually purchasing general admin seats without being on the waiting list.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

i'm just pointing out that the word from the front office isn't necessarily indicative of reality.

it is telling the the Post also ran a story on how the front office sold general admission tickets to brokers...that wouldn't be very consistent with a long waiting list, either.

just use context clues. i wish this team was run as flawlessly as you allege, barno1...then it wouldn't meant that their success is as hopeless as it is today.

Posted by: bacaje | October 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bacaje | October 14, 2009 10:50 AM

One of the biggest problems with that Post story, which did not say that "the front office sold general admission tickets to brokers" is that many readers came away with that impression regardless. You just proved that point.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bacaje | October 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

And just to be clear, I do not believe this team has been run "flawlessly." I'm no fool, I think there have been plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Snyder/Cerrato/Zorn over the years (whether it be the 2000 offseason or the 2006 offseason...or the tj duckett trade when we already had Betts...to the Jason Taylor trade when it seemed so reactionary--which I said at the time...to as recently as benching Reinhart this week). BUT...I just feel that the nonstop, over the top, hate that is spewed at these men after every loss (and sometimes after a win) is just so totally absurd some balance is needed in the discussion.

Cerrato and Snyder did not cause the fluke punt play last week. Neither did Zorn. That play doesn't happen, we probably win the game. We're 3-2 then and likely 4-2, and all is right in Redskins land. Instead, that 1 in 100 type of fluke happens and we lose, and everyone unloads on management. It's sad.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

barno1:

are you thick?

"Thousands of general admission tickets were sold to brokers, who resold them on the secondary market, often at higher-than-retail prices, according to interviews and internal Redskin documents. These were often tickets to the very seats that Redskins fans have waited years to get.

The Redskins acknowledged that the sales were made but said they were against team policy."

That is precisely what I just said happened and you claimed I came away with the wrong impression.

Here is the article, in case you think I'm misquoting: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090103984.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2009090104025

Posted by: bacaje | October 14, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

bacaje,

You stated "the Post also ran a story on how the front office sold general admission tickets to brokers." This is simply not true. The front office did not sell general admission tickets to brokers, and the story did not claim they did either. You ought to read the entire article instead of just the first few paragraphs. The front office had nothing to do with this. Those in the ticket office did this, were either fired or disciplined, and it's not going to happen again.

But hey if you want to believe something that was not reported and did not happen, go right ahead.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"The front office did not sell general admission tickets to brokers, and the story did not claim they did either."

The ticket office is not part of the "front office?"

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Every time you make a comment VTDuffman, I feel dumber for having read it. Just stop. You offer nothing to the conversation. Literally.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The benching of Rinehart for Montgomery is an argument between a D player and a D+ player, neither of these guys are any good.

As for the hatred towards Snyderatto, I'll throw out all the bad luck and poor signings and focus on this one item: During the offseason, they took a look at their roster, got to the RT position saw Heyer penciled in as the starter and said "we will stick with this, we're good to go with Heyer at tackle."

Inexcusable.

Posted by: blinders1 | October 14, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

So, in other words you got nothing.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

the bottom line is, even though I usually attend 2 games a year at full ticket price ($75 for the upper deck), this season I refuse to go, even at 10 year lows.

who to thank? snyderrato. make some moves that actually make me believe you are trying to correct a decade of mediocrity.

Posted by: bacaje | October 14, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

With the exception of the Cowboys game you should be able to find lower bowl seats in the $50-75 range on StubHub and Club level seats for under $100 if you are patient. I don't know ANYONE who can give away, let alone sell, tickets in the 400 level. Even when the Redskins are good, those seats are among the worst in the NFL. Compare to a stadium like Heinz Field or even M&T in Baltimore and you will see how bad they are.

Posted by: skipper7 | October 14, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So, in other words you got nothing.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 14, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

No, it's just that it's impossible for me to answer this with any seriousness because the question itself does not make any sense: "What exactly compromises the "front office," and in what capacity does what you consider the "front office" sell tickets to anyone?"

The front office is the management. The ticket office is not the front office. Are you seriously, seriously this retarded? I'm not kidding, are you?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

C'mon guys, deep down we all know Barno is totally right.....

The 'Skins have a 4,000,000 person-long waiting list and most people won't be eligible to get tickets until the yar 2069.

Oh Barno, as for your argument that people with season tickets don't just ever eat them, in terms of not going to the game and not reselling them, when I had season tickets I did just that on more than on occasion.

Oh snap!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

10 year low?? I still does not matter to me....I still can't afford parking, water, soda, or a hot dog....I used to love going to RFK without the baggage checks etc...

That's what’s wrong with the game now. It's all about money - aint nothin funny....but my money!!!

Posted by: dc4life | October 14, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

On the waiting list thingy....I gave up my seats in '06...400 level, general admission.

This past April, I got a "We want you back" letter, with a "Final Notice" renewal form, for the exact same seats.
I never put my name back on the 'waiting list' after I gave up the tix.

Hard to believe a 150,000 or 200,000 or however large waiting list really exists, if after 3 years they "want me back."

That's all I got.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 14, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT THE SKINS!! I was a season ticket holder on the 45 yard line until this year.
If there is a waiting list for general seating then why do they sell thousands of those tickets to brokers.

Posted by: mattphillips | October 14, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

barno is right, whats the use in boycotting a game that you already paid for if you own season tickets. Selling the tickets just gets you some money back, one game at a time and not even at the value you paid for them.

Posted by: ged0386 | October 14, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Are you still allowed to park by that auto-mechanic shop by Landover Mall and walk to the stadium? Or no?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

looking at the current prices of these tix...and some who are selling for under-market value...they should sold for cheap for as cheap as the Skins are playing and how upper management is playing us!!!
btw, GO S_INS!

Posted by: dpena75 | October 14, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I think it is a stretch to discern between the front office and the ticket office. The front office implies where the non-football decisions are based, such as ticket sales and marketing.

Skins=Joke

Stop blaming the loss on the fluke punt play. If the punt return was the cause what do we call De'Angelo getting punked by Jake "3 Years past his prime" Delhomme stiff-arming him for that first down?

Too many fluke plays over the years points to a larger problem. No accountability, poor coaching, and it all starts at the stop.

First step towards respectability is to fire the idiot yes-man and bring in a REAL GM.

Posted by: jpfterps | October 14, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1
___________________________________________

Even by your usual standards of ignorance and naivete....

That's a pretty laughable statement

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, so many people so wrong about something so simple. Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato had absolutely nothing to do with the selling of tickets to brokers. In fact, they discovered this violation of team policy--not the Washington Post--and they either fired or disciplined those employees in the ticket office who were responsible, BEFORE the Post ever broke the story.

But again, you can choose to believe what you want to believe and live in a fantasy world where Dan Snyder is satan all you want. You'll just be wrong, that's all. No crime in that.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

If everybody boycotted the Skins home game, we couldn't see the game on TV because of the NFL blackout rules for non sold out games.

Posted by: daghost | October 14, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

So you honestly believe that the CEO and manager of everything Redskins had absolutely nothing to do with the policy of the ticket office?

Either Dan Snyder is woefully ignorant about the general day to day operations of the Redskins or you are.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 14, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

There could be 40,000 Eagles fans at FedEx later this month.

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Kev29, so go to the game and get your friends to as well, instead of complaining about other fans at the stadium.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Will Barno be at the game?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 3:20 PM

Swell idea, Barno! Then we'll hold a lemonade sale for the Snyders as well! Ahh shucks guys - we just need more gumption! Hip hip hooray!

Posted by: Kev29 | October 14, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins on paper are strong with all starters on defense. On the field they are a really good defense that is getting a bad rap. This is a really good defense but they are on the field as much as our offense. How many 1 2 3 and outs do they have to come back in and perform with no rest. How many fumbles and interceptions has our offense given up to put the defense right back out there. The defense have had a few bad calls against them on 3rd down but they have kept this team in every game. But there has been no offense. So talking about boycotting games by John Feinstein is a joke. The fans do it and its even more of a joke. I don't see that happening from the real true fans that go to the games. The defense alone deserves much more then that from our fans. So dibs to the D and the fans that will be there sunday to support them. I will not bail out on my team when they need me to be loud and support them. On offense the team looks better then average before all the injurys but on the field they are predictable. With a OL depleted they will have to unite but they will be even more predictable. I can watch a game and know exactly which player is gonna get the ball. I have been doing it since last year with 3 games to play. I find myself being the best arm chair quarterback player predicter around these days. I sat here last week with pen and paper and decided to see if I was correct about which player would touch the ball every down on offense since the Redskins on offense, to me are predictable. I had pen and paper with me because I have to watch all the games on the NFL Sunday package since I live in Atlanta Ga. Born in DC. Diehard Skins fan til day I die. But back to the story. I wrote down which player would touch the ball before they ran every play. Must be crazy to do but what the heck. After predicting most of the calls correctly I thought I must be on to something. I kept writing the players names down. If I knew which player who was getting the ball on every playcall then I had to be on to something. I've been doing it for years but I was impressed with how easy it was again with Jim Zorns playcalling. So at the end of the game I did the math for percentage.. I was right 88% of the time with my guesses. If I can guess the players who are gonna touch the ball that easy, then I know every defensive coach in the NFL can do it much better then I can. Thats their jobs. So maybe a change is due in DC. The playcalling or the playcaller. You decide.

Posted by: creepyjackolopeeye | October 14, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Will Barno be at the game?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Will barno be getting all of his friends to come to the game so fans of the opposing team can't get seats?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I will try.

Fushezzi, JPfterps, epostelle you barnos in for MNF?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 14, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I will try.

Fushezzi, JPfterps, epostelle you barnos in for MNF?

Posted by: Barno1 | October 14, 2009 9:05 PM
==========================

Wow, I meant actual friends, not internet buddies. Interesting that your initial response was to ask internet friends.

To borrow a scene from The Simpsons:

Hibbert: My prognosis -- or is it diagnosis? Whichever. You need to avoid stress. What kind of work do you do?

Comic Book Guy: I run a comic book store.

Hibbert: Oh, dear Lord! We call that profession, "the widow- maker." Or we would, if any of the proprietors were married. You should close down the store for a while.

Comic Book Guy: But I'd lose all my business to Frodo's of Shelbyville.

Hibbert: Then get a friend to run it for you. You do have friends, don't you?

Comic Book Guy: Well, the Superfriends.

Hibbert: You should get some friends who aren't printed on paper.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 15, 2009 2:42 AM | Report abuse