Two Explanations of the Lewis Hiring

Maybe these quotes are all saying the same thing, I don't know. I just hit record and then hit play and start typing. You be the judge.

Here's what Jim Zorn said about the Sherm Lewis hiring, according to the Insider:

"It's not something that I was looking for initially. I wasn't saying, 'Hey, Vinny, you need to go out and really find a guy for me.' But when the suggestion was made, I'm open to it. I just want to make sure that I don't have so much pride in having to have all the answers that somebody can't come in and look and see what I'm doing. He's not coaching. He's here to observe and he's here to have a set of eyes. He should look at things that maybe we don't see. And that's really what I want from him."

And here's what Vinny Cerrato said about the Sherm Lewis hiring, Thursday on Redskins Nation:

"I give Jim a lot of credit for bringing a guy, you know, wanting another set of eyes, because we have struggled some. And for him to say, you know, 'That's a great thing, let's do it if it's the right guy who's had work in the system,' I give credit to Jim for wanting to add somebody, to take a look."

[I should note at this point, Larry Michael spoke up: "Jim mentioned in his press briefing yesterday after practice,talking about the process that went down, and he says, 'I can't think so much of myself not to look for some help at a time like this."]

Then Cerrato responded:

"Yeah, absolutely. Give him credit for wanting to do that. And when you're the head coach, you've got to evaluate everything, and I think that's what he did. And having another set of eyes to come in and look at things, I think, is a good thing."

So there ya go. Cerrato also twice more addressed the role Lewis was brought in to fill--"Don't know what his actual role will be yet," he said on Redskins Nation. "How he's gonna be used, I don't know that, that'll be up to Jim," he said Friday morning on his Inside the Red Zone radio show on ESPN 980.

During that show, Frank Hanrahan sort of hinted at the impressions that might be created by a mid-season hiring like this; "He doesn't want anybody's job or anything like that," Cerrato said. "You know, he's a 67-year old guy that's been retired, just loves football."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 9, 2009; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: ESPN 980 and The Fan Still Deadlocked
Next: Redskins Bingo

Comments

Excuse me while I wipe the incompetence that's seeping from Cerrato's quotes through my LED screen.

Posted by: pgugino | October 9, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The redskins organization are truly sad. Its hard to have any passion as a fan. Snyder has really turned this franchise into a joke.

Posted by: russelljharris | October 9, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

pgugino: I'm trying to do the same thing, but it's not working. Plus, it smells awful and it's slowing me down. Did you have any luck?

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 9, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

This seems to be a case of the right nipple not talking to the left. Get your story straigh fellas before you speak to the press.

Posted by: fushezzi | October 9, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Its a good thing Vinny C is such a smooth communicator...otherwise this Sherm Lewis thing could have made the Redskins look like a bumbling circus full of clowns who don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground. Good thing that didn't happen.

Posted by: burr1 | October 9, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Future quote from Cerrato:

"I give Jim a lot of credit for resigning midseason, you know, recognizing the team needs a new direction. And for him to say, you know, 'That's a great thing if I resign, let's do it,' I give credit to Jim for wanting to do that."

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 9, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"Jim told us he was really interested in getting a freshr set of feet (his feet) in the unemployment line. He said he's been hearing a lot about it in this economy and he really was stoked about checking it out. I think that was really great of him."

Posted by: burr1 | October 9, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

They're just not good at all at PR, plain and simple. But that is not a federal offense, last time I checked.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Nope, not a federal offense--just incompetent.

Posted by: burr1 | October 9, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

Not good at PR.
Not good at picking coaches.
Not good at picking players.
Not good on offense.
Not good on defense.

Good at marketing.
Good at drama.
Good at instability.
Good good at generating revenue.
Good at litigation.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 9, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

One losing season since 2004. Best stretch since 1992.

It's like the old 311 song, misdirected hostility. People are unhappy in their lives, the economy is crushing people, and when their favorite sports team isn't everything they want it to be, they direct all of the pent up anger and frustration in life towards the owner of their favorite team. To me, it's just beyond sad.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 9, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Barno1, don't you find it the least bit sad that Cerrato totally contradicted what Zorn said? Zorn: I wasn't saying, 'Hey, Vinny, you need to go out and really find a guy for me. Cerrato: I give credit to Jim for wanting to add somebody, to take a look.... Give him credit for wanting to do that.

Best stretch since 1992? We haven't done anything since 1992. Plus, having 2 winning seasons out 5 (2004-2008) isn't much to brag about. Especially for a franchise as proud as ours.

Posted by: Andymr | October 9, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"People need to get over their hatred of the man and just be patient with what we are building here in DC. We are 2-2, not 0-4 people. Who cares how we got to 2-2, this is not the BCS, you don't get rewarded for margin of victory!"

---

This is why people think you're an idiot.

We're not "building" anything. That's the whole problem. We traded away all of our draft picks. All of our players are old. Most of our players suck. The coach has no idea how to coach, and the GM is a total failure.

You can't "build" anything when you trade away all of your draft picks for people like TJ Duckett and Jason Taylor.

And when you're 2-2, against 4 teams with a combined total of...3 wins? That's not good. When your only wins are against two teams with a combined 0-8 record, that's not good. When those wins are by a combined 5 points, that's *really* not good.

You're funny though, I like you. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Also, great text on the Czaban show yesterday morning...

"Czabe, I saw that Vinny guy in a press conference yesterday. I love him, he is hilarious! But seriously, who is your real GM?"

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 9, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

what is a dishonestly organization,I am so sad to be a long time Redskin fan, this is a big screw up after Hall of Frame coach Joe Gibbs left the team. The owner need to shut his mouth and hiring a real Skin GM to operate the team. I am sicking tire this trashes.

Posted by: bigskin04 | October 9, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I'll tell you what I think is sad - All the whining and complaining and booing and finger pointing and snarkiness thats been spewing out of the so called "fans". I'm not embarrassed to root for the skins, but I am almost embarrassed to say I'm a "Fan" - You know who the Stealers' fans laugh at - not the Redskins, but their two-faced, back stabbing, band wagon fans.

Look, I've been a Redskin fan for 40 years and I'm not going to stop cheering for the burgandy and gold until they lay me down with the daisies. Dan Snyder does everything he can as an owner to better this team. Is every decission he's made been impeccable ? - NO, but hey, his heart and his wallet is in the right place and thats more than you can say about alot of owners.

I love the Redskins. I will never "booo" a team I love. ( I'm also part American Indian and I dont find the name of the team to be offensive, in fact, I think its a proud and strong name ) I will support and cheer for our team, its coach, its players and its owner in good times and bad. ( thats the definition of a real fan ) -

If you dont like the 'Skins so much, why dont you just jump ship and go root for the Cowboys ????

Posted by: US-conscience | October 9, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

This whole situation reminds me of the whole mess with the Bush administration and hurricane Katrina "Brownie you're doing a hell of a job" just plain stupid.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Barno, it must be the economy that has me thinking you're an idot b/c I'm sure you're probably right. 2-2 isn't so bad, especially after barely beating 2 winless teams and being dominated by a previosuly 0-19 team. Oh, year, not having scored more than 17 points this year must mean this team is on the cusp of something great.

Oh, I apologize for the rant, I must have very little patience for idiots during these tough times. Man, these tough times really make it clear who the idiots are. Aside from the idiots who run the Redskins, it is the ever-dwindling defenders of their incompetency who are clearly out of their minds.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

" Dan Snyder does everything he can as an owner to better this team."

No he doesn't.

He refuses to fire Vinny Cerrato and hire a real football GM. He refuses to keep his weasel nose out of it and let football people build a football program.

A real Redskins fan wouldn't give Danny a pass on the disaster he has turned this once great football franchise into. You are not a real fan, you're a groupie. If you're OK with what that man has turned this team into, there is no hope for you.

People like you are the reason that nothing will ever change. Why should dan Snyder actually hire a real GM, build a real team through draft picks, and have a franchise that competes for the playoffs and championships on a regular basis? He doesn't have to! People like you still go crawling to him, wallet in hand, begging him to charge you more! More for tickets! More for parking! More for consessions! Not only do you gladly do this, you Chastize people who want more out of the team as "bandwagon fans!"

Why should Sndyer do more? People like you are doing all of the tough work for him.

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 9, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

US-conscience, like U.S. citizens, we as fans have the right and duty to express our frustration and displeasure with those in charge. While booing our team after a win is poor form, booing a team that is being shut out by the Bucs at halftime is not. I don't understand why fans like you can't understand this distinction. It's the whole "love it or leave it" junk people yell at protestors. Nothing ever changes if you just accept the status quo. If you don't want to get mad at our bumbling front office, that's totally fine and you're perogative as a fan, but stop acting like you're way is the only one.

Posted by: Andymr | October 9, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

do you guys know what's really sad? when we end the year 5-11, snyder, ceratto, and all of their apologists will blame it all on the media and fans, claiming it brought down team morale....they will then claim to be heading in the right direction, while trading away valuable draft picks and overpaying for mediocre free agents that don't fit in with the scheme

it won't end..we matter as well accept it and move on

Posted by: jdwood84 | October 9, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

it won't end..we matter as well accept it and move on

Posted by: jdwood84 |

It really does get better once you do accept that this team will never be anything with Snyder in charge...

Once you get over the denial, anger, barganing, and depression, something like the Detroit Lions loss, which would have infuriated me as recently as 2006, can actually be quite comical. It also makes you appreciate the rest of the NFL that much more.

Posted by: jbanks979 | October 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Simple solution. Don't pay him money - let some other fool pay his or her hard-earned money to go to the game. I finally was offered season tickets and they weren't worth the effort (forget about the money). Something the ownership SHOULD focus on is getting folks in and out of the stadium quicker. Put up some foot bridges or tunnels where traffic stops for pedestrian flow would be a start. I can't give up 3 hours to get to a game and 3 hours to get home from a game that lasts 3 hours. Especially when my Bro-in-law has Raven tix and calls me at noon to tell me he's heading to a 1pm game and at 4:30 to let me know he's home.

Danny is willing to spend money, at the expense of charging outrageous prices to the fans. Biscuit up in Baltimore does a lot better with running his franchise - no amount of logic can overcome the consistent winning records and price differentials. It hurts as a Redskins fan in Howard County to see up close how a real football franchise is run. Superior product at better prices and a much, much better stadium.

I believe that Dan wants to win. I respect the fact that he has spent money in attempts to do so. There are a lot of worse owners out there. But it has not worked, and there is a team nearby for whom working the fundamentals instead of spending for shiny flash has worked.

I don't think Flacco is a better QB than JC, however he does have an offensive line - a line that was able to deliver even after one of its studs went down (gaither). Therefore he is set up for success and so is the entire team. Unlike our redskins.

Hopefully Dan will learn OTJ. But I doubt he'll ever reduce prices.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | October 9, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

It is increasingly beyond comprehension that Snyder's loyalty to Vinnie prevents him from seeing the lack of front office leadership that results in the "roster holes" and the inability to escape this extended mediocracy.

There is a "reason" for all failings. There alwasy is. I don't think DS would accept excuses elsewhere in his businesses, why here?

We have a coach and offensive coordinator who have never called plays, a lack of true leadership/personality at the most important position, an offensive line that we knew was old and needed new blood. The play book is apparently limited, either by plan or by fear of mistakes. We are awful with the playclock, take penalties on defense when we really need the ball back and we lack imagination on offense. Although the defense is solid, this writer thinks that a more aggressive approach could lead to more turnovers...

Let's play to win, not to keep from losing. DS has that attitude with his other businesses, how about with the Skins?

Accountability starts with the leadership at the top. It is time to hold Vinne accountable for the results under his watch.

Posted by: kikowashington | October 9, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

What's Bobby Betheard doing these days? We need to get rid of the dumb ass buying the groceries.

Posted by: ralston21 | October 9, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Snyder's heart is in the right place? Right next to his wallet I assume. I have mentioned it before in this space but when Snyder attended his 1st owners' meeting, he was so arrogant and rude to the hotel staff, the hotel manager told the staff that if there was one more incident, take Snyder's bags out and place them on the street. The Redskins are the only team in pro sports that sues its fans when they hit hard financial times. He needs to visit the Wizard of Oz and get a heart. He already has met up with Vinny "The Tin Man" Cerrato.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 9, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Addendum:
One poster here asks the fans to be patient. I guess he has a point, it has only been ten years or so since this team has been a factor in the league. Maybe you can wait another 10 years but I am getting old. However, since Snyder's ownership will last longer than I will, I guess it doesn't matter.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

This organization has benn turned into the laughing stock of the NFL...Can you say "Ringling Bros. Circus....High wire acts and clowns in the front office.

Posted by: SADFAN | October 9, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Skins fan since the day I was born, but this year it's a lot more fun to just sit back and enjoy the entertainment value of all the crazy things the team is doing this season. Five years from now when Shanahan has brought us back to the Super Bowl, we'll all look back at this year and laugh.

Posted by: DCUMD | October 9, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Let me ask, if we had won our two games 42-0 and lost our two games 42-0, would it matter? Just saying....2-2 is 2-2. If you look at it any other way you are either speculating or bored and looking for a deeper perspective which will end up being useless. If everything were so predictable I'd be rich like Biff when he found the Sports Almanac in Back to the Future II

Posted by: fushezzi | October 9, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure there IS a contradiction if you parse the statements.

To paraphrase:

Zorn: I didn't ask for it, but when they suggested we hire a consultant, I said sure, OK.

Cerrato: Give Zorn credit, he didn't fight us when we told him we wanted a consultant.

But of course, everything is a conspiracy these days with the Redskins.

Posted by: cbang123 | October 9, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

cbang123, excellent point. I had the exact same thought. There really is no contradiction when you think of it that way. Thumbs down on this blog entry...sorry Steinz.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 10, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Vt Duffman, this has been mentioned numerous times on the blogs, but you really are the single dumbest human being I've come across on any blog. Ever. It's not even close between you and the second dumbest guy. Let's take a look at some of your absolutely absurd statements, shall we:

"We traded away all of our draft picks."

Actually, we've had 16 draft picks in the last 2 years...2 more than the average NFL team. And while we have certainly traded some picks, your above statement is simply absurd.

"All of our players are old."

75% of players are either still in their prime or haven't entered their prime. Get. A. Clue.

"Most of our players suck."

If you really believe this, you are even dumber than I originally thought.

"And when you're 2-2, against 4 teams with a combined total of...3 wins? That's not good."

Our opponents have 5 wins, not 3.

"When your only wins are against two teams with a combined 0-8 record, that's not good."

You can only play the teams that the NFL puts on your schedule. When teams are allowed to choose who they play, let me know...you unbelievable moron.

"When those wins are by a combined 5 points, that's *really* not good."

Oh, I forgot you get extra credit for winning big. I forgot the BCS was now a part of the NFL and margin of victory counts for something. Thanks for pointing this out.

"What do you think is going to happen when we play teams that actually have winning records and stuff?"

Well, since everyone knows that when Team A beats Team B and Team B beats Team C then Team A will always beat Team C, we are clearly doomed. Thanks for pointing this out.

"He refuses to fire Vinny Cerrato and hire a real football GM."

Vinny Cerrato IS a real football GM. The guy was in charge of the the 49ers scouting and player personnel for NINE years, including helping build a super bowl winner and some other very very successful teams. Clearly, he has all the experience necessary, and clearly he is well respected around the league for having an eye for talent.

"People like you are the reason that nothing will ever change."

People like you are the worst fans in sports. You know absolutely nothing about the teams you attack and base everything on emotion instead of logic. It's beyond pathetic.

Just go root for another team. The Redskins do not need you as a "fan."

Posted by: Barno1 | October 10, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

How you defend Vinny is one of the more mind-boggling things I will ever see. When do we get to see the elusive list of talent Vinny has brought in? Are you truly comfortable with the direction of this team? And who are the 75% of players in their prime? AND THAT IS TO IMPLY SOME OF THESE DUDES WILL HAVE A PRIME

Barno, you love correcting from other peoples posts, please provide some evidence to your own claims.

Posted by: jpfterps | October 10, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Jp, I've posted this on a couple bog threads recently that you must've missed.

Champ Bailey
Shawn Springs
Phillip Daniels
Joe Salave'a
Fred Smoot
LaVar Arrington
Chris Samuels

Just a few players Vinny has helped acquire. And this was just with the Skins, there's another whole list of talent he helped get in San Fran during the early to late 90s. The guy is very, very well respected around the NFL for having an eye. But here in Washington, he is so despised for everything else, and then when you have a handful of glaring examples like Archuletta, Lloyd, Stubblefield, Jeff George, TJ Duckett etc and too many losing seasons, the fans here then tend to focus on that and forget how many other quality players he has spotted and brought in.

But the problem with that line of thinking is no one ever hits on 100% of their signings/draft picks--but his ratio of successful acquisitions to failures has been very good in my opinion. But that does not necessarily translate into wins. Football, as much or more than any other sport, is a team sport. It's all about chemistry. We may have top 10 talent, but that doesn't always translate into top 10 team.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 11, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse