UPDATE: Geico Redskins signs ok at FedEx Field

You know, I have to apologize. I stupidly have written several times in recent hours that no fan signs are permitted at FedEx Field, due to fears about obstructed views and fans being poked in the head.

But duh, that was just careless of me. Of course, you ARE permitted to have certain signs, which I should have known.

Yes, that's right, you can have these signs with the little pointy sticks for maximum head poking potential, and the opening-and-scrolling action for maximum view obstruction potential, because the Redskins themselves passed out these signs on Monday, along with towels for waving.

"I think I hit the guy next to me in the head about five times with my towel, swinging that around," said one fan, whose sign was confiscated. "It was ridiculous."

So remember, poster board is a no-go, due to safety issues. Pointy-sticked Geico ads are fine. Don't hold up a piece of cardboard that might block your neighbor's view. But feel free to block his view with a Redskins towel.

A few e-mails I got on this topic:

* "Isn't that absurd? How do you make this huge change in policy, that signs are BANNED, then give out FREE SIGNS??? How much more obvious can Snyder be?!?!?! I was disgusted by this."

* "You did not mention the approved signs handed out once inside the stadium consisting of a burgundy plastic scroll like banner with Redskins on one side and GEICO on the other. An errant TV camera could have captured a fan (I saw none using them) holding up a sign in support of the GEICO Redskins. Just one more commercially driven insult to injury to a loyal fan base - I'm included."

* "If they are banning all signs and banners, why were they GIVING OUT GEICO banners on Monday night? And if they are worried about injuries, those towels are more of an eye-threat than someone holding up a sign! Unreal."

Unreal? Nah. Just another day.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 28, 2009; 1:09 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins allow critical t-shirts at FedEx Field
Next: Behavior Change: Fan cards and pumpkins

Comments

Unbelievable. Keep swinging that hammer, Bloggy, because this story really needs to get out. Can the Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples management be any more dense?

Posted by: playahatah | October 28, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think I'd rather root for Geico at this point. GO GEICO!!

Posted by: jsm3 | October 28, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Get Donovan back on the phone. I thought he controlled the stadium!!!

Posted by: JDP_ | October 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

We can expect nothing less from a petty, thin-skinned tyrant. I'm really in a state of disbelief about it. I knew the man was petty, I knew he would maximize any potential revenue stream he could, but what I did not know was the true depths to which he would lower himself and this organization to quell dissent while promoting the godawful product he has produced.

I've thought for years that one day there would be a last straw for which I could no longer support the team due to management's ineptitude and vindictiveness. But this year, we've seen them go far past 'straws'. We're seeing bales of hay tossed left and right at the paying customer.

I'm feeling like the fan in me is dying inside right now. SMH

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze, not again!!!!

Who friggin cares about these damn signs! I say just don't go to the friggin games anymore. Snyder doesn't give a flying fig about the fans. Can we please read about, the Capitals, Wizards or the DC United??

Anything other than "Sign-gate" at Redskins park.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

this is great material dan, good work on all this stuff. you should wrap up all this research into a front page sunday feature, get yourself a nice byline out of all this hard work.

go wiz!

Posted by: ewww | October 28, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully there is a soldier in Afghanistan named Geico who saw the game and had his or her spirits lifted by the love and support of those signs.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | October 28, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

won't the signs poke your eye?

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Can't understand how anyone in the DMV still supports the 'lil-DannySkins. I'm all for loyalty to the local team, but "true-fans" are under no obligation to pump money into the pocket of a malignant owner that refuses to make changes to improve performance. As for the pathetic game-day experience (sign bans included), do you realize that some NFL franchises are gracious enough to their fans to actually let fans bring in their own food (albeit in a limited manner)? That's inconceivable here in DC.

Posted by: Fat_Tony | October 28, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Owned

Posted by: Gweez | October 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

ivyleague: You're witnessing the death of a fan base. Someone's gotta cover it.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Pharoah! Let my people go!!!!!

Posted by: themantoyou | October 28, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I think I'd rather root for Geico at this point. GO GEICO!!

Posted by: jsm3 | October 28, 2009 1:20 PM

Awesome! lmao

Posted by: skinswest | October 28, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Guess you are right. I only have one toe left on the bandwagon myself. I've pretty much have had it with the little loser Snyder and his band of merrymen.

Posted by: ivyleague | October 28, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

This pretty much sums up my feelings about the Redskins right now. ROCK THE RED!

Posted by: Gambrills4 | October 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Great reporting Dan. Keep it up because clearly the Redskins have not listened to Leonsis and continue to lie outright.

Posted by: rawk | October 28, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Even with all of the towels, legal and illegal signs flying around, I never saw anyone get hit or poked with any of them. I definately saw some drunk guy shower the person next to him with beer a couple times, but those beers cost $8, so it's cool.

Posted by: Andymr | October 28, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Keep fighting the good fight, Dan. I fully expect you to organize a march on FedEx and/or a stadium-wide walk-out by season's end. And it all needs to be documented by Fox/CBS cameras. The Daniel Snyder horror show must be exposed nationwide!

Posted by: drischord | October 28, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

This situation encapsulates everything that's wrong with this team in one easy allegory.

Also, re: "GEICO Redskins"...

Don't give Danny any ideas, does anyone here really think he *wouldn't* re-name the team the "Geckos" for the right price?

Posted by: VTDuffman | October 28, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game Monday and did not see anyone in my section 131 with the Geico signs. We walked in the stadium about 20 minutes before kickoff so I guess I was too late in getting one of these fine gifts. I do wish the security spent more time throwing out drunk Eagle fans that were throwing beer at the end zone bar instead of looking for signs & t- shirts.

BTW - I was at Caps opening night and received a Mike Green bobble head, 10 free wings because the Caps scored 5 goals plus our section won a free night a Chesapeake Beach resort. All this on opening night. Another difference between Leonsis & Snyder. Thanking the fans when he knew he had a full house.

Go Caps and Skins please fix this sinking ship!!

Season tickets in the family since 1971 and it has never been this bad!!

Posted by: dph60 | October 28, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Needs more unattributed and anonymous stories.

Posted by: Section117 | October 28, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I feel you tho ivyleague, If the Wizards continue like they started against Dallas last night, I'll def. wanna hear about what's goin on with them...likewise with the Caps.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Danny, Hugo Chavez would be proud!

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinberg:

Although I was originally a HUGE backer of the Burgundy Revolution (TM The DC Sports Bog Pending), after listening to Dave Donovan and Vinny Cerato defend the Team, I have to say that I am now drinking the Kool Aide. If you will allow me:

Situation: The Redskins do an internal team audit and identify the Offensive Line as a point of emphasis for the offseason.

What Happened: The team thought the term “offensive line” was directed at the line of cars surrounding the Beltway trying to get to FedEx Field. Thinking they had no control over a situation made worse by the Washington Posts coverage of traffic, they ignored the problem.

Situation: The Fans offer displeasure for the Quarterback.

What Happened: Dan Snyder was FURIOUS to learn that change was being given to fans at the concessions and immediately instituted a policy that jacked price up so everything purchased would round off to the next highest dollar figure. The Post misses the story, only wanting to talk about little old ladies that get sued.

Situation: Play by the corners had been suspect:

What Happened: While on the field with Tom Cruise, Dan and Vinnie examine the goal line with a corner square. They determine that the corners of the field are within league standards. The Post investigates, but finds out you cannot bring a corner square to the game because it could poke someone’s eye out.

Situation: T-shirts displaying the image of Dan and Vinnie are banned at the stadium.

What Happened: Both Vinnie and Dan had recent plastic surgery (ignored by the Post) and the pictures on display were old photos. T-shirts bearing their new images may be displayed as soon as Dan comes out of his hidey hole long enough for a picture to be taken.

Situation: Little old lady gets sued by the team because she can’t pay for her expensive Club Seat.

What Happened: Complete fabrication by the Post. The Redskins don’t do that. Donovan told me!

Situation: The Post has a personal vendetta against Daniel Snyder, Vincent Cerato, and the Washington Redskins. They are accused of trying to “sell” newspapers by writing negative stories about the team.

What Happened: ESPN, the NFL Network, FOX NFL Sunday, and the NFL Today do stories about how inept Redskin management is. All of these “news” outlets have been infiltrated by the Washington Post.

As you can see by my evidence, there is nothing wrong with the Redskins. Please cease and desist.

Posted by: Leeguru | October 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I SAY WE START A BOYCOTT! STOP GOING TO HOME GAMES NOW! IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO HURT THE DICTATOR WHO RUNS THIS TEAM AND DOES NOT CARE FOR THE FANS. BOYCOTT NOW!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | October 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I have been a rabid Redskins fan for over 40 years. I traveled to two of their Super Bowls. I wore Redskins jerseys to elementary school, junior high and high school. My family has had season tickets since 1964. I have stuck with the Redskins through some very bad seasons. I moved away from the DC area a few years back, but still fly back for a couple of home games a year and got NFL Sunday Ticket so I could see all the Redskin games. That is all over. I am disgusted by what the current owner has done to a once proud franchise and the contempt he shows to the true fan base. My family will not be renewing our season tickets next year. I will drop NFL Sunday Ticket because I don't want to contribute one penny to Snyder, even indirectly. I will no longer buy Redskins merchandise. I firmly believe that the only hope for turning this around is to hit him in the wallet as hard as possible. I encourage all true Redskin fans to do the same.

Posted by: jmiller13 | October 28, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

The reason that Snyder lets the Geico sign in is that he wants to become friends with that stack of money.

Ba da ba dum

Who's watchin'

Posted by: alex35332 | October 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

So this doesn't go unreported: Members of the media are not allowed to interview fans while tailgating - unless it's the GEICO Caveman.

Oompa Loompa doom-pa-dee-do
I am the owner so F-you!

Posted by: Satiate | October 28, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins sign policy is so simple even a caveman can understand it. What's your problem, Steinberg?

Posted by: section309 | October 28, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

New Signs Idea!
Owning the Redskins, GM of the Redskins....

So simple a Caveman could do it! (GEICO)

Posted by: mb15 | October 28, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

You know this is an easy enough fix, just start boycotting Redskins advertisers as well. Danny-boy likes that money, if you boycot Geico and Fedex and the others who line Snyder's pocket, then businesses associated with the little worm will no longer line up to hurl money at Napoleon Snydamite. Of course Snyder will spin it, as if the real reason advertisers are losing patrons is the economy or a weak early season schedule.

Posted by: damjammer | October 28, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Please, would you one time, let Danny be himself?

Posted by: bryc3 | October 28, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

damjammer: LMAO @ "Napoleon Snydamite"...I'll make sure to credit you whenever I use it, thanks.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru: Hilarious...

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, so the slimy, cold blooded lizard who owns the Redskins has a marketing agreement with a company whose mascot is a slimy, cold blooded lizard.

How serendipitous.

Posted by: skinssox01 | October 28, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone verified the story (or did anyone personally witness the incident) in which two fans wearing t-shirts (one said "Fire Vinny" and the other "Fire Snyder")were escorted out of the stadium by security personnel after they refused to take of the "offensive" shirts?

Posted by: dcarmy | October 28, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Keep these patronizing excruciatingly detailed reports coming Berg. This truly is the voice of the fans, and the consolidation of such commentary is the only way we can hopefully get the message across.

I am a fan of Snyder, really. You cant ask for anything more from an owner than to open his wallet for his team, and in return we open ours for him.

HOWEVER when you disrespect the fanbase by enabling some type of stadium gestapo telling us what we can and cant wear, telling us we cant bring signs to a football game...you have overstepped your bounds. Snyder needs to know...we'll put up with a mediocre team for 10 years as long as they try. We'll put up with an antiquated stadium with terrible technology and the worst parking situation in the NFL. We'll put up with his poor management decisions as evidenced by Vinny being here so long. We do this because we are fools in love with the team we hold so close to our heart.

What we will NOT do is sacrifice our god given and government-supported RIGHT to free speech. I will wear whatever shirt I feel like sir, and I will bring whatever sign I feel like bringing. Show me one other team in the NFL that has banned signs and you MAY have a point given precedence.

Instead of focusing on how to quiet the fans through force, how about you focus on how to quiet us by making the type of POSITIVE CHANGE we have been calling for since Gibbs left the first time, and again since he left the second.

Hire a VP of Football Ops who KNOWS FOOTBALL and KNOWS TALENT.
Hire a GM who has a PROVEN TRACK RECORD of IDENTIFYING TALENT. I want a roster of 50 successful draft picks attached to his resume. Not some guy who got lucky a few times.
Hire a COACH who has the ABILITY to put together HIS OWN COACHING STAFF comprised of HIS GUYS.
Ensure the COACH and the GM work together to identify talent, NOT THE OWNER.
Let your coaching staff coach and GM manage. There is NO NEED for weekly meetings with your GM and Coach to "go over the game plan." Is that what you do with your companies? Look over everyones shoulder and waste their time reporting to you versus preparing for a big meeting? Governance is key, but timing is essential.

OK Im done.

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | October 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Where are the boycott cheerleaders?!?!?

Posted by: funkey | October 28, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to go to the Broncos game and deal with Donovan's new elite squad of security guards : The FedEx Field Mind Control Stormtroopers:

Grounds for expulsion:

1. Thinking bad thoughts about Snyder, Cerrato, Donovan or any current Redskin employee (players not included), ticket prices, concession prices, the traffic jam on Redskins road, the "jumbo"tron, our record, Six Flags, Snyder Communications, Tom Cruise and Scientology. The Redskins reserve the right to add and subtract items on this list at any time.

Posted by: Andymr | October 28, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

how long until danny boy sells the naming rights of the team and we become known as the Geico Redskins?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | October 28, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see the article Deadspin had about this topic? http://deadspin.com/5391272/danny-snyder-doesnt-like-your-heartfelt-signage

There was a sign that read, "Hi to my husband in Afghanistan" that was apparently confiscated and thrown in the trash.

Stay classy Danny

Posted by: CYA_Coach | October 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo | October 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Never understood this concept. You certainly CAN ask for more. To win and to do so in a classy and dignified way. If you do it on the cheap and charge us less all the better.

The idea that an owners only job is to open his wallet while not checking his ego is ridiculous. Just win baby.

Posted by: Gweez | October 28, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

People should start bringing signs to Caps and Wizards games. Just mock Snyder and tell him he can't take these signs away. Point to Leonsis and the Caps as an example of how to build a winning franchise - not ruin it. Guarantee it would get coverage and piss Snyder off.

Posted by: jt110 | October 28, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"People should start bringing signs to Caps and Wizards games. Just mock Snyder and tell him he can't take these signs away."

Well they confiscated the Caps sign one fan had that advocated Ovechkin calling the plays for the Skins. :0)

All I can say at this point is: there ain't no bottom to stupid. Vinny, Lil' Danny and Company prove it every single day.

Posted by: hawk1009 | October 28, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jt110
_________________________________________

This is an awesome idea! Ahahahaha!!! No one will get thrown out for doing that...lol

Posted by: cbmuzik | October 28, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Dan Steinberg, for exposing this piece of human feces to the truth!! Keep it up and help us fans FLUSH this pathetic sorry excuse for a human being down the toilet.

Question for Tanya Snyder - how does it feel to be married to the most despised tird in the Washington DC Metro area?

If she had any sense, she'd seek to have her marriage annuled on the grounds that it is against Maryland public policy for a human being to be wedded to a piece of feces.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | October 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I guess the moral of the story is: Bring markers to the game and create new messages for the Snyder-acceptable signs.

Posted by: SUMB44 | October 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

It’s interesting observing Dan Snyder, a man with vast power and wealth, make all the wrong moves against those who make him wealthy and powerful in the first place.

Dan Snyder reminds me of a medieval King who tolerates the peasants while demanding they pay him a stipend to honor his presence.

Eventually, the peasants will brandish pitchforks, light torches, and storm the castle.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | October 28, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

keep it coming steinz. the whole organization is a joke- top to bottom

Posted by: jpfterps | October 28, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

dont let that idiot general counsel guy change what you are doing,the Post ROCKS! It gives us the fans a valid outlet for our frustrations. for the Skins to blame the Post is disingenuous at best. The fans being angry has nothing to do with how the Post covers the team. Take that to the bank.

Posted by: cstanton1 | October 28, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It might sound cliche to say that Snyder has turned the Skins into a laughingstock, but this is truly high comedy at this point.

Posted by: BobLHead | October 28, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The Danny is only interested in you bringing one thing to Fed Ex: your WALLET!!

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 28, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Leguru, FTW.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | October 28, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Dan:
Anyway to add a "Print" option to your blog (bog)? Same would go for the other blogs... World Wide Wilbon, Redskins Insider, etc. Sometimes I have to print to read later & the layout is atrocious.
Thanks.

Posted by: febc8 | October 28, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CantwaittoseeJLCgo |

Unfortunately, the courts will likely side with Snyder The Terrible on that count. If you go to a shopping mall, the owner of the shopping mall has the right to require a customer to remove an offensive shirt. There's a legal precedent for this somewhere.

Does that make it right? Eff no. Not everything legal is right.

Posted by: msarzo73 | October 28, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Leguru, FTW.

Posted by: StetSportsBlog | October 28, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

FTW?

Posted by: Leeguru | October 28, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Dear Dan Snyder, we know this is all Vinnie Cerrato's doing! Out of desperation, Vinnie is "burning Rome" because he sees the writing on the wall. Please fire him and replace him with an experienced GM ASAP. Let him run the team and guide you on the real players that you should be spending money on. If you do this, all will be forgiven. Promise!

Posted by: JohnWWW | October 28, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hi fellow Redskins fans. I've been following this team since the late fifties. I was born in D.C. Use to listen on WMAL radio before the games were televised. This has gone to, much to far. Snyder must get the message. Boycott the games. Please for the sake of our beloved team, boycott the games. He has destroyed our franchise and made us the laughing stock of the league. Boycott is the only reasonable answer.

Bud

Posted by: budandjoyce | October 28, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

if you dare display a sign or have a T-shirt with words, Snyder will sick his goons and a bunch of nasty pig PG Cops on you.

Pig Cops.

Posted by: proudgaycuban | October 28, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Jeebus Cripes.

Here's to hoping my blog handle is actually overly optimistic..

Posted by: 4-12 | October 28, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Snyder has a big time Napoleonic complex. The boy needs help..

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 28, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Leeguru: "For The Win", good buddy.

Win...hmm, what a concept...win, it seems like such a nice word.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 28, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Snyderman is trying to control the message like Obama is trying to control the media. Both are truly disgusting and anti-American.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | October 28, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Keep it up Dan. The Post scored a great series about the redskins ticket policy. The sign & shirt scandal is fantastic as well. This should be moved to the front page.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | October 28, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey all,

Just was watching Around the Horn on ESPN & they ran segment about the sign banning. Snyder got ROASTED!!!

Posted by: cfrank99 | October 28, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

You better be carefull what you say or write here or that little HITLER will send the SS after you! Hail to the SS Skins! Why Dont we just call them the SKIN HEADS!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 28, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Someone should post Snyders address so we can all send our letters and thuoghts to him!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 28, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I mean thoughts!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 28, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

That's Mr. Snyder. A despicable scum. He must be the dumbest person alive!!!!!

Posted by: redskinfan4life1 | October 28, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Heil Hitler! Everybody give Danny the Hitler salute from now on..

Posted by: SMWE357 | October 28, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

This is starting to get more entertaining then Saturday Night Live on a good night. One exception though, these Redskins skits are factual comedy as opposed to scripted. Hard to tell the difference though. What will the Redskins do next to draw self inflicted negative attention to themselves?

Dan Steinberg For President!

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 28, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is a gung-ho Republican, so what is so surprising about him being a control freak?

Those handmade signs by the dissaffected are irrelevant. Opinions are not welcome in Snyderland. Only cash.

Posted by: ScottChallenger | October 28, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Hi Dan, Keep up the FANtastic work. Your articles are the first thing I read. Good Grief what has happened to this organization,
This is nothing but pure censorship. I really do not understand the thinking of the FO, they keep trying to shield Dan and look more like fools for the effort. FIRE VINNY and stay the hell out the way Dan !!!

Posted by: Mark99 | October 28, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg for Prez, Dan Snyder is an idiot

Posted by: Mark99 | October 28, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I hate to be so blunt but:

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BobLHead | October 28, 2009 3:56 PM

Nothing funny about someone taking your rights from you. I don't care who or where.

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

What's so offensive about the truth. $nyder to me has abused his privilege to be an owner of an NFL team.

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

My brother-in-law was prevented from bringing in a banner that he ha had for YEARS hanging down in the End Zone. His seats are in the front row and his sign is a KEEP OUT when the opposing team is coming and a SCORING ZONE when the Skins are coming. He is on TV for nearly every home game. And he is a die hard fan.

He was told that he could not bring it in. So, he pressed and pressed and was finally told that Dan Snyder does not want ANY banners because he is afraid that fans will bring in negative signs about himself and/or the team.

I am surprised that the media has not made more of this story.

And what about all of the advertising? Even TV commercials during the halftime? Dan Snyder is killing the team and ruining the football experience in every possible way AND making MILLIONS.

Posted by: stukushner | October 28, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WILL YOU SNYDER. You are the BERNIE MADOFF OF THE NFL. THANKS FOR RUINING OUR ONCE PROUD FRANCHISE

Posted by: chamidi | October 28, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

This should be added to the Redskins' banner rule:

"Fans may bring official banners as long as it is sponsored by a corporation that helps us pay for our facility and team. However, we are not liable for damages if a fan is physically injured by another fan with an official product. The fan will assume all risk of injury from this product. The official sign can and will be made from various grades of plastic and metal. Homemade paper signs are still banned, despite being more environmentally friendly, because it does not make our organization any money."

Posted by: kinokonoko | October 28, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Think the owner hiring goons to bully fans at Fedex is bad?

Just remember one thing: It can always get worse. And it probably will.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 28, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Leave it to lil' Danny Snyder to destroy 3 or 4 generations of tradition and pride (this family is in third generation- don't know if that will cotinue). Dan Snyder is an evil, pathetic, little man.

Posted by: jamesacarroll | October 28, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't get how Roger Goodell and the rest of the league can just sit back and watch this happen. This isn't like the Nats where you have incompetent owners who can't field a winner. This is someone abusing fans in the stands and turning them off the sport entirely. Would never have believed how DC is quickly becoming a hockeytown.

The NFL is going to have to do something here to retain its credibility.

Posted by: TGT11 | October 28, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

hessone - i knew you wouldn't let me down. what happened monday night? i thought you were leading the boycott charge. place looked pretty full....

Posted by: funkey | October 28, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

TGT11 - the nfl's popularity is off the charts. they make money hand over fist and are able to do things the other leagues can only dream of. goodell ain't gonna do a thing just because skins fans have a chapped a$$ about their owner/team...

Posted by: funkey | October 28, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

TGT11, the nats have cleaned house. Their situation is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. They should be pretty good fairly soon. Rizzo knows what he's doing. Oh the lerners have 3 times more money then snyder. You really should do some fact checking before just posting drivel

Posted by: JDB1 | October 28, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

JDB1, Lerners could have 3x more money than Bill Gates, and there would still be a smaller payroll than Kansas City.

And if Rizzo knows what he's doing, why is he building his empire of assistant undersecretaries to the GM before hiring a field manager?

Lerners aren't bad people, they're just bad owners. Snyder is both. Lerners only destroy the on field product, while Snyder is going to be cooking with Saddam someday. But if the NFL wants Danny's goons and PG County cops arresting people for showing up at a game, their choice.

Posted by: TGT11 | October 28, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

We just need to lose the remaining games so we don't ruin the draft pick. Wait, Cerrato would trade it away anyway.

Posted by: WhenDoesItStop | October 28, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

In the Capital of the FREE WORLD... Censorship in the home team's stadium. What a great message to send.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | October 29, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Since the owner won't allow signs inside the stadium, my hope is that at the next home game someone rents a plane and flys over the stadium with a sign that says SNYDER SUX & VINNIE BLOWS!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | October 29, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

What the hell is wrong with Geico?
I can't beleive they would pay to be associated with this stinking mess.
Geeze.

Get well soon, 47

Posted by: P_Dodd | October 29, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

At least the Caps won... oh man this is embarrassing Skins

Posted by: Moco1 | October 29, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations, more "we've had season tickets since Griffith Stadium and we're giving them up cauz of Snyder" people have posted than there were seats at Griffith Stadium.

Just wondering.

Posted by: ggreenbaum | October 29, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Terrible news about Cooley missing at least 4 weeks, maybe the whole season. With out first round pick next year we really shou......Nevermind. Snyder just traded our first round pick for Terrel Owens.

Posted by: NolaMusicLaw | October 29, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

ggreenbaum:
Explain your support for management in this case.
You've posted that because FedEx is private property, Danny has a right to ban anything he wants.
That's right, but it doesn't make his actions and less petty and cowardly. Please explain why these actions aren't petty or cowardly.
Thanks for pointing out the hyperbole in the amount of people saying they are dumping season tickets since Griffith.
We are fighting for the soul of our team and that's all you've got to say?

Fight on, fight on, until you have won, sons (and daughters) of Washington!

Posted by: minorthread | October 29, 2009 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmmmm,

Hypothetical situation here....Next season at this point, the Skins fortunes have changed and they are 6-1 at this point. Lil Napoleon will have a change of heart about this policy when he see's signs saying SUPER BOWL HERE WE COME !!

It would take 4 promotions in life for this franchise to get to be a joke at this point.

Posted by: Davo61 | October 29, 2009 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Boycott Suggestion

Let's boycott Papa John. Their toppings for TDs has become a complete joke.

Go to their Feedback URL and let them know that they're being boycotted.

Here are my comments in the Papa John boycott.

While I have enjoyed your products in the past, I am respectfully boycotting your store at not only Fedex Field but all stores because as a loyal Redskin fan I am tired of being emotionally and physically abused by Mr. Daniel Snyder. He has turned your promotion of Toppings for Touchdowns into a sad joke.

Posted by: gogmu012 | October 29, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I ain't renewing my season tickets. That money would do me much more good as Capitals and Wizards tickets. I also don't know why anyone would go the games against the Broncos and Saints. You've got to be blind to think either of those games will be watchable for a Redskins fan.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I might just have to find a new football team. I'm not going to root for the Snyderskins anymore.

Posted by: jjhare | October 29, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

ggreenbaum isn't gonna explain anything. his job is that of a drive-by. he provides the alternate case out of ashburn and disappears and lets others argue it. it gives the impression to middle-of-the-roaders that there may be support for snyder pout there. it is common discussion board tactic...

Posted by: funkey | October 29, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Instead of everyone making a statement here, make one where it counts. Forget signs, what would tell little Danny how people feel is a completely empty stadium. Literally empty. imagine if he shows up to the game, sits in his suite, and there is NOT A SINGLE PERSON in the stands

Posted by: asnis715 | October 29, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

asnis715 - nice thought. but i don't ever see it happening. but hessone is trying to organize some sort of boycott - touch base with him...

Posted by: funkey | October 29, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, we should consider not calling GEICO any more... even if it is so easy... I have nothing against the caveman, but can you imagine the impression this would make?

Posted by: mmck | October 29, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

If someone went to the game wearing nothing but a giant paper bag that completely covered them so there was nothing indecent about it what so ever, would they still make them take the paper bag off?

Posted by: cjzimm | October 29, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Don't be surprised folks if at the next home game the team hands out armbands and brown shirts to the first 10,000 fans.

Posted by: chopin224 | October 29, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

So, it's possible that the clueless FO was not, in fact, trying to suppress bad press about the team, but was instead preparing to open yet another revenue stream.

You know, it takes talent to be this out of touch. It really does, you gotta hand it to them.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | October 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

People shoule bring a big sign that says simply "freedom of speech" or "my first amendment rights". Or a big sign that is a replica of a skins ticket. Just so you can get a picture of Schred Ex security ripping it up and throwing it in the trash.

Posted by: cjzimm | October 29, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

keep ripping snyder for his hypocrisy...dan 'little hitler' snyder is a typical republican ...that loves to dish it out....but can't take it...conservatives set no limits on their hypocrisy...the GOP is always whining about obama infringing upon our constitutional rights....yet where was the outrage when cheney authorized warrantless wire tapping?....and dan snyder (a GOP contributor)..is so afraid to hear and witness criticism from fans.. dan suppresses the fan's freedom of speech, as dan bans signs and posters from being carried into FEDEX field by dis-satisfied fans...posters that show the fans frustration with our inept owner and GM, snyder and cerrato.

Posted by: jrebstock | October 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

This is just another example of Snyder's ignorance! He can't win so he likes p*ssing off the fans.

Posted by: haysgirl66 | October 29, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The control-freakery extends to every level. I brought a sign to my local Johnny Rockets that read "I Love Hamburgers" (in glitter no less) and it was torn from my grasp by a faux soda jerk and quickly deposited in the trash. I saw a number of signs in the garbage:

"Silver Diner Rules"
"ESPN = Eat Some Potato skiNs"
"Monday Night Special - Hot Eagle Wings with a Side of Pain".

Posted by: Old_Mose | October 29, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

another reason to get rid of Lil' Hitler - some of these doofs assume that his policital affiliation is a symptom of his problem. All good Republicans and Independent Conservatives must boycott the rest of the home games!

Posted by: merzydoats | October 29, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

so i wonder if a group of concerned citizens could pay for signage rights distribute towels printed, in burgundy and gold colors, with the legend, "sell the team!"

Posted by: natty-bumppo | October 29, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT FEDEX - USE UPS or USPS

Our family has decided it will no longer use FedEx for shipping - we will use UPS or the USPS. My wife runs a small startup, non-profit and has committed to this family boycott. I will what influence I have in my workplace to use alternate shipping from FedEx. I will encourage others to do so as well and ask the dear readers here to do as well. We do not have GEICO insurance. If you have GEICO, consider switching to an alternate provider. We will be monitoring advertisers during Redskins game broadcasts (radio and TV) and may include others in our family boycott. Other grassroots petitions and boycotts are emerging. Google Redskins Boycott or Redskins Petitions to find them. Take action!

Posted by: johnr9 | October 30, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse