What Would Make Zorn Bench Campbell?

Since it seemed to be something of a theme on Sunday, with Sonny calling for Jason Campbell to be benched and all, I was interested when the topic of benching Campbell was raised on ESPN 980's Jim Zorn Show Tuesday afternoon.

"What would cause you to sort of make a change at that position?" Kevin Sheehan asked Zorn.

"I think if the quarterback was completely, first of all if he was just unsure of what he was doing," Zorn said. "If I called a play and he was either throwing the ball or reading or not reading or not creating on the line of scrimmage that confidence, changing the protection or just trying to execute the play. If that happened over and over again, I would definitely make a change. And yet I felt Jason was fully into the game. He was very competitive. You know, it gets frustrating, it got frustrating early, but he hung in there very well. He had some glitches here and there because he started to move on from reads quicker than the receiver had the ability to run his route. You know, he was already on to the second guy because he wasn't sure of protection, but he didn't lose confidence in the play, in the call, in his ability to execute it. And again in the second half, it was a chance for us to take a breath at halftime and then come back out, and we executed better in the second half."

Or, to put it another way, "Nothing." More Zorn highlights:

On the record: "It's always tough in the NFL. We're 2-2. That means we're 50-50. And that's not where we want to be. That's my problem. That's not anybody else's. That's totally my problem."

On the competition: "If we physically get beaten up I could look at a team and go, oh, wow, that team just beat us, but I look at teams and I really feel like when we see them, they're good. I don't see any bad teams around the NFL, so I just think every game is super competitive. It takes paying attention to everything that we can, and it takes coaches and players all out there working together to generate a win, however we can get it."

On the future: "I think we have improving to do all over the place, coaching, playing, paying attention to all the things that we need to do, but we have willing men, and that's what we're committed to."

On self-examination: "Listen, when you lose or you're not scoring, it's an over-examination. It's really getting down to all the little things. And you discover little things, make adjustments and then come back and get after it again. I try to come up with new things, but what we have to be is sound, we have to be unpredictable to be able to beat a defense, and we have to execute. I've got to call EXCELLENT plays. I mean, all of those things come into consideration when we are in a situation like we've had in the last couple of games."

So to recap the last few weeks: Willing men + EXCELLENT plays have beaten good NFL teams.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 6, 2009; 2:57 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Do the Redskins Have Talent?
Next: Why Are the Verizon Center Seats Purple?

Comments

I heard that JZ was trying to see if JC was still conscious and aware of just how bad he was playing -- following three picks and a couple of fumbles.

JZ said he looked into his QB's eyes to see if a light was on... presumably, because JZ was wondering if JC might be suffering from a concussion or something.

But all he could see was same old "deer in the headlights" look and lackluster play... which, for JC, is "normal."

Therefore, JZ's decided to allow him to play on.

And these are the "easy" games, folks...

It's going to be a long season.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's just me, but I think that most quarterbacks that are on pace for almost 4000 yards, 20 TDs, and a 65% completions don't get benched.

Cambpell is having a fine season. The 3 INTs were an aberration...he's usually very good about not turning the ball over.

Keep up the great work JC.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 6, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I think it's pretty interesting that we have the opportunity get through week 6 without having faced a team with a win, and we're still just barely winning games. I've been a JC supporter since day 1 (mostly because I hated Brunell so much), but the guy will only ever manage games. JC will never make the players around him better, nor win us games, only not lose them. With that said, we have no other options. Putting Collins in would make sense if we were on the cusp of making a playoff run, but we're obviously not, and Colt is ridiculously overrated (and on IR). Just keep JC in and hope for the best.

Posted by: Andymr | October 6, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sonny Jurgensen was a HOF quarterback and a great player. He also has a bully pulpit calling the skins games on radio. As such, he needs to be more careful about his comments concerning when to pull Jason Campbell. His words carry a lot of weight around DC, but lest we forget. He has never coached a football team on any level. We all know how great players in every sport make lousy coaches/managers. I thing Sonny should keep his expert commentaries on the subject of the quarterback and let coaching decisions be handled by those with coaching experience.

Posted by: golfwise | October 6, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

uh, Daniel Snyder?

especially after hearing Zorn chastise JC, in the nfL film's soundbyte, last week.

Posted by: Max231 | October 6, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

And these are the "easy" games, folks...

It's going to be a long season.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Ah, but this team plays to the level of the opponent. The team that showed up in the last three games would have lost to the Giants by 30. The Skins will probably play it close, win or lose, against every opponent this season.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 6, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

It shows Zorn has a lot of guts to stick with JC after his horrible 1st half.

Continuity is important considering what Zorn and JC have (don't) have to work with.

If we can just play good sound football with more intensity and heart we might be ok.

I agreed with Zorn's forth and 1 call at the Detroit goal line but who doesn't call for passes or throw into the endzone when you are down by five with time running out??? If Zorn didn't call for passes into the endzone then JC should have changed the play.

Come on guys (JC and Zorn), that was a big bonehead mental mistake and you just can't do that. You have to give yourself every chance to win.

Bleeding Burgandy and Gold over here,
keep hope alive!

Posted by: REDSKINRAYINCA | October 6, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Golfwise/barno1 for sticking up for JC not that he needs it,I've got faith in the kid if the O-line holds up then the kid will be all right,Sonny's got no business calling for anyone to be benched Jurgensen won nothing in this town not one title,not one superbowl, not one playoff game he had one winning season as QB of this franchise when Vince Lombardi became coach and scared his fat azz into shape and let me say this his word carries no weight whatsoever he needs to retire and the sooner the better.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 6, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: onestorm | October 6, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

"If you were real fans you would support the team regardless."

Hey, I'm a real fan -- although not a delusional one. And like so many other real fans in this town, I have stood by this team through thick and thin -- shelling out our hard-earned cash each season to attend the games, wear the colors and root for our team.

And like so many other real fans, I don't know why it has been so difficult to find a head coach with some current knowledge of the game, an ability to lead and organize a coaching staff and call a few plays has proven so difficult -- this should not be a "earn while you learn" position.

Like so many other fans, I have yet to find any reason to keep playing Campbell, given his demonstrated inability to take this team to the next level. I am not arguing that he's not a nice guy and good citizen; I am only saying that he will never be able lead this team to victory.

And like so many others, I know the team is again continuing its annual slide into mediocrity -- despite all of the lofty promises of the off season.

I'd might even be inclined to say "stay the course" if I saw even the remotest possibility of progress ahead... but I don't.

The time is long overdue to:

1. Fire Zorn.
2. Bench Campbell.
3. Fire Vinny.
4. Hire a GM.
5. Give the "real" Redskins fans some reason to believe their team will eventually contend again.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 6, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

"Everyone with negative comments will claim the knew all along the redskins would make the playoffs this year when they get there. If you were real fans you would support the team regardless."

There's a difference between criticizing your team, and not supporting your team. It is the right/duty of every fan to voice their opinion. I'd rather be the voice of consent then sit around with my hands over my ears humming sweet nothings to myself that everything will turn out fine.

Posted by: Andymr | October 7, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | October 6, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

You just have to laugh at this guy's comment. As if he is anything remotely resembling a real Redskins fan. A real fan does not go on a posting board and repeatedly and relentlessly bash his QB and RB and any other star player whose name appears in the blog entry after said team is 4 games into their season and 2-2. Sorry.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I'm a real fan -- although not a delusional one. And like so many other real fans in this town, I have stood by this team through thick and thin -- shelling out my hard-earned cash each season to attend the games, wear the colors and root for our team.

And like so many other real fans, I don't know why it has been so difficult to find a head coach with some current knowledge of the game, an ability to lead and organize a coaching staff and call a few plays -- this should not be a "earn while you learn" position.

The time is long overdue to: