Albert Haynesworth defends Dan Snyder

Against the Chiefs. (By Nick Wass - AP)

Albert Haynesworth hasn't opened up much lately with the local media, which is a shame, because he remains a tremendous quote, smart, funny and honest. Thursday night, he appeared on Sirius NFL Radio's "Late Hits" with Bryan McGovern and Ross Tucker, and talked about his own performance, the Redskins as a team, and the upcoming meeting with the Falcons.

Most interesting, perhaps, was Haynesworth's response when asked about the John Riggins "bad guy" rantabout Daniel Snyder.

"Well, I talk to him at least once a week if not [more often]," Haynesworth said, which is probably not welcome news to a lot of fans who worry about Snyder's involvement in the football side. "They're usually 15-, 20-, even 30-minute conversations sometimes, depends on what the day is looking like. You know, he's just a big fan. He's a guy who will do anything to get the right players and to win. That's what he wants to do, he wants to win.

"Most of all our conversations start out, like 'How can we win? Can we win this week? What do you think?' and things like that. I see nothing wrong with that. I mean, I've had an owner that was absent and came to probably two or three games that I saw a year, and I have an owner now that's there the majority of the week, coming out to practice and really concerned with his team and trying to figure out how to make his team better and to make us succeed and make all the fans happy. You know, I've never met John Riggins or anything like that, I don't know what [critics] have against Mr. Snyder. But as far as I know, I mean, he's a guy who has the money and he wants to win and he'll do almost anything to win."

Of course, a lot of fans believe that what's required to win is an emergency rescue mission for the offensive line. Haynesworth didn't link the two issues together, but he's obviously noticed what's going on the other side of the ball.

"The thing about Jason on our team is it's really just getting him comfortable back there," Haynesworth said, when asked specifically about Jason Campbell. "You know, our offensive line is struggling and Jason is getting hit a lot, and it's hard for him just to set his feet and throw the ball or even look downfield to throw the ball. Once we can address things like that, as far as holding the protection and not getting him hit, I think you'll see him flourish."

He was also asked about the recent Sports Illustrated players poll in which he finished tied for second on the list of dirtiest NFL players.

"I mean, gosh. I can't believe I'm still the second-dirtiest player in the NFL," he joked. He said the ranking probably stems from his head-stomping incident, and that he's changed since then. The hosts asked him how he's changed.

"Well, one, I'm not stomping on anybody's head any more, so that's a big difference," he joked.

And he was asked about the great dose of negativity administered by the local media this season.

"You know, you can't really even listen to it or look at it," he said. "We're a tight-knit family, us being the Skins, and the organization. They told me when I came that the media was brutal and you can expect the worst, I guess."

(The D.C. sports media, brutal? Maybe this year. Maybe. But I can't imagine the D.C. sports media has ever had a reputation for brutality.)

As for the team, Haynesworth said the defense has been playing "lights-out football" and that the team needs a win to "get our confidence back and show that hey, this is a pretty good team, we CAN compete with other people."

He was also asked to judge his own performance. This is always a controversial subject around here; ESPN.com's Matt Mosley has taken several shots, calling Haynesworth the NFC East's biggest underachiever and writing this week that Haynesworth was supposed to transform the defense into a dominant unit, and that "I haven't seen anything close to dominance." The boys at Mister Irrelevant strongly disagree with the shots at Haynesworth. Anyhow, here's the big man's assessment of his showing.

"I think it's been okay," he said. "It hasn't been the best, that I want. I haven't jumped out in the sack numbers or anything, but it's been okay. And when I came to the Redskins, I told people not to look at my numbers, look at everybody else's numbers around me. That's how you'll be able to judge if I'm effective or not, or if I'm doing what they thought I was gonna do.

"And if you look at it, I don't keep up with this stuff, but my agent of course prepped me for this interview--he told me that my defensive end, Andre Carter, he has like [6.5] sacks. Last year he only had four the whole season, and he has [6.5] in the first half, so that's helping. ...The sacks are up and pressures and some turnovers and things like that, so I think me coming here has helped and helped other players. I mean, would I like to benefit more from it? Yes, but I'd also like to get more wins out of it, too."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 6, 2009; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Behavior Change: Newspaper ad slams Snyder
Next: Jason Taylor still sounds sour about Greg Blache

Comments

Last time I checked, the Dude has about $43 million guaranteed reasons to say nice things about the meanspirited greedy little dwarf...

So if he wants to buy a little chat time when he should be practicing... it's not the Mad Dwarf is distracting the lazy loafer from any real work, anyway.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 6, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

There are certainly reasons to be a little displeased with Haynesworth. This interview isn't one of them.
Judging by the quotes, both content and grammar, he seems to be a pretty bright guy, and his defense of Snyder wasn't exactly mindblowing. He said what everyone else already knows to be true, not any more, and not any less.

Posted by: bouncinggorilla | November 6, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty impressed with Haynesworth so far. He's played very well, you can see his impact for yourself in every game.

In the interview he managed to kiss up to the owner, which is important to him and to the fans if we wish to keep him (and I do). And at the same time he also managed to subtly imply that the o-line lacks depth.

So he was able to weigh in the criticism we all share without pissing off the owner, which is impressive. He may be one of the smartest guys on the team.

Posted by: REXskins | November 6, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

i dont really care what haynesworth says about snyder to be honest. i dont really care whether snyder has a black heart or if he is a good person. i just want to know why we arent winning, and what he is going to do about it. everybody has different reasons for why we are where we are and who is to blame - i dont care. it has happened and there is nothing anybody can do about the past. WHAT IS GOING TO CHANGE?

Posted by: nick87 | November 6, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Can't put much faith in anything that anyone on Danny Boy's current payrolls says. That includes Blache.

Posted by: poguesmahone | November 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Bless his heart. Fat Albert doesn't even know he's hurting Snyder's case more than helping it.

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | November 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsDiesel | November 6, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is a pretty sharp dude. I like him and he has absolutely provided us with a prsence on the d-line.

Now, if our corners would cover somebody and not give every wr a 10 yard cushion would help, as would an occasinal blitz.

Posted by: jpfterps | November 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I've never seen Matt Mosley write anything that made any sense about the Skins. I don't even check that blog anymore, it's a waste of time for anything but Cowboys news.

Posted by: Hobes | November 6, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

haynesworth is solid; his defense of dan snyder is not.

the defining quote (taken somewhat out of context): "I don't know what [critics] have against Mr. Snyder. But as far as I know, I mean, he's a guy who has the money..."

Yep, in fact, that's why albert's such a big fan...

Posted by: bacaje | November 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

well of course fat albert dont have beef with snyder..hello, snyder is the hand that feeds that lazy bum of fat albert and you never spit on the hand that feeds you!!!! fat albert got a 100 million reasons not to say nothing about snyder

Posted by: futix | November 6, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"Haynesworth needed some oxygen after that long quote. His return is questionable.

Posted by: SkinsDiesel | November 6, 2009 2:38 PM"

SkinsDiesel, if Haynesworth were reading this, he might have hit the "Report abuse" link...Solid jab there.

In all honesty, I have no beef with Haynesworth. To my eye, he's played well, and I never hear anybody complain about how many plays Chester Taylor is in the game so that AP can catch his breath.

But to the heart of the matter...it is super sweet for Blache and Vinny and CP and Haynesworth to come to little Danny's defense, but I could care less how he treats them. He likes them. He's a little excited fan of the players. It is easy to throw around Redskins 1 and Wizards games and do the things you're supposed to do for people you like. I wonder how nice of a person Laveranues Coles, Norv Turner, and LaVar Arrington (and the countless others that worked for the Redskins the day Snyder took over) think Danny is?

I've never met the man, but I've seen and read enough to know he's not the nicest person in the world.

Posted by: dclance | November 6, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

All of us are judged by two things - our words and our actions and that is as itshould be! Dan Snyder says very little so he can only be judged by his actions - he has made a fool out of his head coach and his QB and his treatment this year of TRUE fans speaks for itself. Why is ANYONE
inluding players and our defensive coordinator surpised by how Dan Snyder is being judged?

Posted by: rrlyon131 | November 6, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Many of you guys don't know football. Haynesworth is doing a solid job. i challenge you to battle 2 300 pound guys and not get winded when you weigh 330+ lbs yourself. he is not a 15 sack guy so understand his f'ing role before being so critical.

Posted by: oknow1 | November 6, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpfterps | November 6, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

============================

You mean to improve on the #2 passing defense in the NFL???? And tied with the Giants and Seahawks for 7th in sacks??
The problem is getting the defense off the field and the offense getting some drives together!!
Field position and time of possession have been major issues this year!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | November 6, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oknow1

Ever notice the folks that accuse others of not knowing there football are usually the one's that don't know football? oknow1: Take a hike and leave the football talk to the folks that do know. And at 175lbs I don't qualify to play tackle on either side of the ball.

Posted by: hessone | November 6, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

dkidwell61:
Rushing defense ranks 22nd and we're dead last in interceptions. Can't let other teams run on you and you need those turnovers.

Posted by: hessone | November 6, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

What listeners couldn't tell is that Chris Wilson was handed the phone for part of the interview, while Albert took oxygen.

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 6, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll gladly defend him if he guarantees me $40 Mil.

Posted by: keino83 | November 6, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick and tired yet I won't give up:

Posted by: hessone | November 6, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is doing a solid job, no argument. But is he really worth $100 million when we need to rebuild both lines? Wouldn't the team have been better served if Dan the Man had spread some of that cash around to bring in two offensive lineman and one or two defensive lineman? Given the record, it is fairly obvious one man cannot do it all, $100 million or not. OF COURSE he is defending Snyder, his paycheck cashes whether the team wins or loses. I'd be defending the idiot who chose to pay me $100 million too, regardless of the efficacy of that decision for the team.

As for Mr. Snyder, he treats people who must go to his home for various official purposes with complete disdain and disrespect. He has his "handlers" tell them not to speak to or directly look at "Mr. Snyder." In the past he has told police responding to his alarm to go to the servant's entrance. He illegally cut down multiple full grown trees to improve his view, etc. etc. So it certainly is not just fans he mistreats.

There is no defense for Dan Snyder. He believes himself to be better than everyone else and does not concern himself with other people's opinions. Boycott the Redskins, wear your Trade Snyder t-shirt with pride and meet all the other people who feel the way you do.

Posted by: publicservice2 | November 7, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

the Danny is such a little jock sniffer ... "hey big cool football guys you think im cool right "..." ill think whatever if you keep signin the checks "

Posted by: heathdog1119 | November 7, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"......he has the money......"

Well said ALBERT. What other comment would a reader here expect from an articulate, intelligent player? "I'm going to bite the hand that feeds me?" "Hey, guys catch me in ten years when the contract's up, my career is over, and the left-overs from taxes have made me a truely wealthy individual. Then I'll tell you what I REALLY think."

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 8, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE. HEY HEY HEY FAT ALBERT......

DAN WILL HIRE A TOP GM, LET THE GM HIRE THE HC AND ALL WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF IF DAN FINDS SANITY AND DOES THIS.

YOU FAT ALBERT, JUST LOSE 25 LBS. SO YOU ARE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR CAREER THE BEST YOU CAN TRULY BE - AND YOUR PLAY WILL THEN BE GREAT.

Posted by: PinotNoir | November 10, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse