Campbell says everything "blacked out"

After the game. (By Matt Slocum - AP)

On the Redskins' final fourth-down play Sunday, Eagles defensive end Juqua Parker flung Jason Campbell to the ground after Campbell threw incomplete to Santana Moss. The quarterback remained there for several long moments, face down. It seemed like a potential late hit, and the Fox announcers said as much during the telecast, suggesting that the Eagles were lucky they weren't whistled. ESPN.com's Matt Mosley called it a "horrendous no-call."

After the game, during his weekly appearance on Comcast SportsNet's Postgame Live, Campbell seemed to agree with that assessment, and said that everything "blacked out" for him after the hit. With all the focus on concussions this week--and with both of last year's starting Super Bowl quarterbacks sitting out this week with the after-effects of head injuries--this will obviously be a closely watched situation this week.

"Real quick before you get out of here, if Tom Brady's the quarterback on that last play, is there a roughing call?" host Chick Hernandez asked from the studio.

"Yeah, I think it was a 15-yarder maybe," Campbell said, to much laughter.

"What happened there, did you just get thrown down and lose your wind? What happened?" Hernandez followed up.

"Yeah, I was sitting there trying to bide time, because the play that we had for fourth and 1, they was all over it," Campbell explained. "At the same, you know, you're trying to stand in there, bide time, just hoping a guy may slide open. And just as soon as I saw Tana stop and slide [open], I tried to hurry up and give it to him and the guy actually threw me on top of my head. And when he slammed me down on my head everything blacked out, my left arm was numb and I had the breath knocked out of me. So I have no comments for what I think, but at the same time....We know."

(Clinton Portis missed his third straight game after getting concussed against the Falcons; during his pre-game appearance on ESPN 980, Vinny Cerrato was asked when Portis would see the field again.

"You know, I think whenever all the symptoms clear up or when he can work out and he doesn't have symptoms," Cerrato said. "He goes back to the doctors in Pittsburgh I think in another week, so we'll see then. I think we're seeing more and more [caution with] the concussion stuff now. You know, Roethlisberger's not playing today, and Westbrook's still out, so I think [we're] being very cautious with head injuries.")

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 29, 2009; 6:08 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marshall Faulk calls out Albert Haynesworth
Next: Jim Zorn seems to have aged a bit

Comments

For whatever reason, Campbell doesn't get the personal foul calls. I've seen plays that would have been roughing the passer for many QBs in the League a few times this season. I think I recall a 3&15 today where a defensive player was not only late hitting him, but hit him with his arm/hand to Campbell's head. The defensive player and Campbell stayed on the ground for a while after that play. The commentators mentioned the defensive player may have been injured, but never explained how.

Posted by: sitruc | November 29, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he has PTSD. Surprised it took this long into the season. I keed.

But I don't like Campbell invoking Brady's name. Actually, throw the flag on Chick, that's kind of leading and amateurish question.

Posted by: LouLewis | November 29, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

JC will go elsewhere and hopefully he will be a stud, and I will subsequently change my allegiances after three generations as a Redskins fan. What a joke the organization, alumni and fan base have become! Regardless what you think of his playing ability, he's a very classy guy stuck in a very messed up situation. Ownership wants you gone prior to the season, but doesn't do the right and classy thing and trade you (or release you) prior to the season. So you're a lame duck and in the last year of your rookie deal have to deal with creating miracles behind a third rate o line, running game and receiving core (they're all hurt). To add injury to insult, you have to also deal with the worst informed fan base, organization, and sorry, no account stab you in the back alumni (still living off of 25 years ago - and still getting paid) in professional sports. Stay classy Redskins fans, think I'll be supporting a real sports team from here on in! Good luck with next year's 5 and 11 team with you shiny new QB and coach!

Posted by: dabwilldo40 | November 29, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@dabwildo Sounds like you've already switched allegiances, which means you weren't really a true fan in the first place. Regardless, good riddance.

Oh yeah, and remind me again which member of our receiving core is hurt?

Posted by: DCUMD | November 29, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree with you more, dabwilldo40.

Campbell's gone next year. Would be great to see him with the Cards & those receivers. I'm liking them for another SB appearance already with Campbell.

Our draft will consist of an over-hyped QB & a running back. The rationale for not addressing the O-line will be the marginally improved performance of the sixth line combination this year & the hole left at QB.

Personally, I'm getting into the Saints & Greg Williams defence. That team is playing Redskins style ball on both sides of the line.

Heck of a thing, huhn? I was born in the shadows of RFK stadium 50+ years ago & have been a Skins fan all my life. Snyder sure changed that for me, though.

Posted by: skinssox01 | November 29, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Campbell doesn't get the calls cause even the refs hate him.

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 29, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Cooley, Chris

Posted by: dabwilldo40 | November 29, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and remind me again which member of our receiving core is hurt?

Posted by: DCUMD | November 29, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

DCUMD,
Been a loyal fan my whole life, heck even my mom is looking at other teams (she's 60). Just is a shame for an organization to set up a player for failure like this. Sure blame JC, I got it, but he is a PLAYER. Players work under coaches and the organization. If the player isn't playing well than the coach should replace him period. Its not like this is a player who received Jay Cutler money to be the face of the organization. If you don't like the player's performance blame the coach for not sitting him and the organization for drafting him, plain and simple. There is too much blame in the fan base on the QB of this organization, and that's what I don't get. Other than pride, what is JCs motivation. He can make as much as he's making now as a quality backup on a winning team. (worst case) Even if the Redskins made the playoffs this year with JC having a breakout season, would it surprise anyone that he would leave anyway (as if the situation here is so wonderful). You blame the player, I'll blame the organization.

Posted by: dabwilldo40 | November 29, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

The guy looks like a deer in the headlights on the best of days. And we have seen time and again that when there's a decision to be made, he'll make the wrong one.

JC17 threw two picks that led to scores -- and really has no one but himself to blame for it. He also dithered when he should have run on the final play -- he had an open lane, could have easily covered the ground, reached the first down marker, and extended the series.

The sooner this loser is gone, the better!!

Posted by: Vic1 | November 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I was about to say that the Redskins should be careful with this potential concussion, since they don't want to ruin his career.

But they've already done their best to ruin it, so why stop now?

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 30, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse