Cerrato discusses an aging offensive line

I was glad to hear Vinny Cerrato discussing the perils of having an aging offensive line without much depth during his ESPN 980 radio show last week. I was encouraged to hear him note that having such a line was one of the problems with the 2008 Redskins. And I was--I don't know, pick a word, stupefied? dumbstruck?--that the thing that got him talking about aging offensive lines was, yes, that's right, the Cowboys.

This all happened when Cerrato--wearing his Official Media Person hat--was interviewing ESPN's Ed Werder about what to expect from the Cowboys, which is just unspeakably bizarre to begin with. Cerrato brought up some of Dallas's injuries.

"The biggest concern, obviously, is the injury to Marc Colombo, which forces Doug Free, a former fourth-round pick, to make his first career NFL start, and disrupts the continuity that they have had on their offensive line," Werder said, as the dramatic irony music began in the background. "He has started 41 consecutive weeks next to Leonard Davis, so I think that's the biggest challenge they face going forward, is that when they put their team together the thing they had the biggest concern about was the lack of depth on their offensive line. And I think if they try to help Doug Free too, much then they sort of expose another guy who seems to be suffering from the advance of age on the other side, and that's Flozell Adams."

Now, this has to be hitting close to home already. If I was hosting this show, I would be rifling through my notes for a new topic. Ask Werder about Bill Belichick. Ask him about the playoff chase. Ask him about the weather in Nova Scotia. Just don't discuss the perils of having an aging offensive line.

"Yeah, you know what, it was interesting, because talking with John Clayton this summer," he began.

(Wait, so he interviews ESPN personalities when he's off the clock, too?)

"...He said the Cowboys' offensive line was the oldest offensive line in the league by I think it was like six years, like 158 years combined for those five guys."

(I just checked. Entering Week 1, the Cowboys' five starters were 156 years old. The Redskins' five starters were 150 years old. That means, if Cerrato's six-year gap is correct, Washington had the second-oldest line.)

"And I think what happens--and kind of what [Clayton] talked about, and what happened to us the previous year--starting the second half you see it because guys start to get hurt."

(So you knew your offensive line was old, and you knew that this was going to happen? I think I preferred to imagine that you didn't actually know this.)

"They start to wear down as they get older."

(Get the heck out of here. Really?)

"Because isn't Gurode the center banged up a little bit, and Flozell the left tackle's a little banged up?"

(You're seriously going to ask yet another question about another team's aging, banged-up Cowboys' offensive line? Why not just go all the way and ask about coaching staff dysfunction?)

"Yeah, Andre Gurode missed some practice time last week," Werder said. "I think he's pretty healthy now. And I don't think Flozell has any physical issues, but the Cowboys have already been in a situation where they've been forced to keep receivers and backs in to help support Flozell Adams against certain pass rushers."

I mean, how can that not be awkward, for Cerrato to sit there and listen about another team being forced to keep receivers and backs in to help support an aging, injury-riddled offensive line?

But I guess maybe you just have to get used to that. Because here's what happened when Cerrato asked Werder about Wade Phillips.

"It's a very unique and potentially dysfunctional setup that the Cowboys have," Werder explained, "where they have a head coach who has absolutely nothing to do, it seems, with the offense. And so it's created a division where the offensive players are coached only by the offensive coaching staff, and it's almost like you have two head coaches. Which, like when you have two quarterbacks, it's like you have none."

And when you have three playcallers, on the other hand, it's like you have three.

Anyhow, there was at least one moment of intense self-awareness in Friday's show. Werder was complaining that the early morning timeslot was kind of a drag, and Cerrato said that at least more people listen at that time.

"You know, enough people hated me already, so I'm not sure that's a good thing," Werder said.

"Well, " Cerrato said with a hearty laugh, "you're jumping into my boat, then."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 23, 2009; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: "It is bleak"
Next: Wilbon on TK-Wise: Bring on the Steel Cage

Comments

These are losers mired in the sticky gooey crud of dysfunction. And this stinky mess flows straight down from the very top of the Washington Redskins organization. BOYCOTT!!!

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 23, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I guess Cerrato isn't self-aware. Otherwise, he'll know he's built the exact same problem into his own team. Or maybe he's just that good at separating Cerrato-the-radio-host from Cerrato-the-GM

Posted by: tundey | November 23, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

If Cerrato stays,they can keep my 2 tickets next year. What a freaking mess.

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 23, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato might be worth keeping around for comedy's sake. Just don't let him make actual football decisions.

Posted by: acoberst1 | November 23, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

That's terrific. I would also love to hear Vinny the broadcast interview Vinny the GM. Unfortunately, Vinny isn't a GM when he's broadcasting, so the Vinnys would have to conduct the interview by tape-delay.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | November 23, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

[Facepalm]

Posted by: 4-12 | November 23, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

...sigh.

Posted by: bacaje | November 23, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

You could eat all the peyote, mescaline, pscilocybin and LSD on this good green earth and still not be able to make this stuff up.

I wonder if people who are still going to these games are enjoying the product for football's sake or for comedy's sake.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | November 23, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I hope Snyder listens to Vinny's show. He has to see what a moron they have making decisons. After yesterdays loss it is time to schedule the off-season plan on how to BLOW this thing up and get headed in a positive direction

Posted by: dph60 | November 23, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

What a moron!!! He doesn't even realize he needs to look in the mirror.

Posted by: booboo117 | November 23, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

The British equivalent of Vinny Cerrato would discuss his ageing offensive line.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 23, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Vinny obviously is better at the radio thing than running the Redskins. Why doesn't Snyder just make him a radio personality and get this IDIOT out of football management?

If Vinny is an example of American corporate leadership, then this country is the titanic plowing through the north Atlantic. What a JOKE!!

Hey, little general (Snyder)!!!! You must have an opinion about this foot stool you call a VP of Football Ops. He is, without a doubt, the dumbest, most moronic, imbecile, I have ever experienced in all the years I've been alive, bar NONE!!

FIRE Vinny!!!!

Posted by: skinfannomore | November 23, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The truly pathetic thing is that Snyder and Cerrato have the retention capacity of a thimble.

After this train wreck of a season ends, Campbell and Rogers will depart via free agency and Snyderrato will blow their picks on a high profile QB and RB. They'll try to patch the line with an aging, low-cost free agent or two and then declare that the line's problems have been resolved.

All will hail the QB & RB of the future.

By the way, the Kool Aid punch bowl is down the hall and on your left.

Posted by: skinssox01 | November 23, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Pot, meet Kettle.

Kettle, I'd like to introduce you to Pot.

Glad I wasn't the only one listening to that interview and saw the incredible irony of Vinny's statements.

Fire that weasel now.

Posted by: owiz | November 23, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

There's irony, there's tragic irony, and there's utterly-lacking-in-any-semblance-of self-awareness-due-to-gross-incompetence irony. I think we should call this new level Vinny Cerrato irony.

Where's Bill Simmons? Can he get on this, make the term official?

Posted by: ThisGuy | November 23, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

And ESPN 980 banned my:

Dallas Sucks
Fire Vinny
Hire a GM
Beat Dallas - 2011

sign at their Friday beat Dallas pep rally - why????? The truth hurts????

Posted by: jburnetti | November 23, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Dear Gawd!!!! Pam where's the Tylenol!!

Posted by: bigmiken | November 23, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse