Fan-card protest makes WJLA

Of the many dozens of "Fan Protest" ideas that have been floated among Redskins fans this fall, the "Mail in Your Fan Card" thing seems to have gotten the most traction. See, more than 26,000 page views on Extreme Skins. (View the Fan Card here or here.)

The instructions were to mail this Fan Card back to Skins ownership, and also to media outlets, temporarily renouncing one's Skins fandom and the financial implications therein. And WJLA picked up the story Tuesday night, noting that they've received more than a dozen fan cards. Okay, that's a small start, but it's a start.

(Stewart Small -- the star of this piece -- is one of the true treasures of D.C. sports fandom. You will find him at Skins games, D.C. United games, Mystics games, Caps games, always dressed appropriately and with an incredible reservoir of optimism enthusiasm. If he's souring on the Redskins, things are really bad.)

The piece closes with a Redskins spokesman saying the Fan Cards show how devoted and passionate their fans are. True.

But what's with these relentlessly negative TV stations?

UPDATE: Just went down to the newsroom mailroom, and it turns out The Post has also received about a dozen fan cards, addressed to the sports editor.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 4, 2009; 9:56 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: I thought the Cavs don't care about D.C.?
Next: Leonsis admits he's no hockey expert

Comments

They'll be receiving many more today and tomorrow I'm betting. I didn't get a chance to mail mine until yesterday afternoon. My 6 will be arriving at Ashburn, ESPN, and the 4 DC stations tomorrow most likely.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | November 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Way to spin the message! Our fans care so much that they took time to write and spend money on a stamp.

Posted by: skipper7 | November 4, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hate to say it... but I have never seen Stewart Small in DC United gear... he is very good at wearing Diplomats gear though... I will say, he IS always there, sitting in the side line seats in front of Barra & I do nopt question his fandom for all thing DC...

... power to Mr. Small..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | November 4, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I mailed those Fan Cards to a dozen different places/people and, judging from what I'm reading in various online forums, dozen(s) we're hearing about today are just "the tip of the iceberg" -- I suspect we'll be hearing more about this as later mailings begin to arrive. I also think folks should keep in mind that this fan movement is just getting started, and I also think we'll see greater participation in additional efforts in the coming weeks. David Donovan should have never said anything about fan behavior remaining the same. ;-)

Posted by: DahDee | November 4, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The local tv stations live in dread fear of the Danny pulling their credentials or locker room access. They have been beyond mute on any of this (save Jim Vance last night) and should be deeply ashamed of themselves. Whatever happened to journalistic integrity?

Posted by: CHICO13 | November 4, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I think the media outlets should treat this the way the Skins treat their "long" season ticket waiting list. Tell people they've received millions of these cards, but they can't verify that because they are all in binders in filing cabinets

Morons

Posted by: thediesel | November 4, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Just mailed mine out to Snyder, WJLA, and ESPN.

Posted by: bdeco | November 4, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's a group for those that would like to see Danny Boy (Snyder) change his ways. They are planning a protest at the Dallas game and have enough members that they will likely generate some real publicity:

Posted by: robertlh | November 4, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse