From Hip Hip Hooray to Deadskin

You want to see how a fan base changes in one year? Look at the above images. Oh, wait, before you do that, read this.

"I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years," Redskins COO David Donovan said, in a quote I still haven't grown tired of. "But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference."

Well, here's one fan who might indicate a mild difference. Do you remember John Woloshen? Probably not. Here's a brief refresher. He grew up in Camp Springs, moved to Jersey and then to Orlando, where he found a Skins bar and continued traveling north for NFC East road games at Giants Stadium with his cousin Vinny (really) and at Eagles games with his best friend Larry.

Last year, he brought a Hip Hip Hooray sign to Philly, earning thumbs-ups from the Skins, getting into The Washington Post in the debut of the Hip Hip Hoorayride, and somehow managing not to fatally poke anyone in the head. And now?

"My teapot is now boiling over and I am done financially supporting this team in any way until there is a paradigm shift," he wrote to me on Tuesday. "I am still watching games on TV but right now more to see what is going to happen next rather than a quality football game. It is sad, but everybody is set up in a no-win scenario. The players are not in a position to win, the coaches are in no position to win and the fans are in no position to win. So now we as fans must create a situation where Dan Snyder can not win financially and continue to take advantage of our storied history, because right now that is all we have left!"

Woloshen then referred me to the Hail Redskins "Official Boycott of Daniel M. Snyder" thread, in which the Skins's owner's businesses are meticulously cataloged, with alternative businesses provided.

Will this make a dent? I'd doubt it, but it sure seems to show that something's up.

"As you may remember just a year ago, I was the fearless Redskin fan that would go into Lincoln Financial Stadium with full Redskin gear and a Hip Hip Hooray banner," Woloshen wrote me. "Now I am an extremely embarrassed fan that is just waiting for change that for all intents and purposes will not happen, and it all boils down to one common element: Daniel Snyder. It has been bad for 10 years, but not bad enough to totally demoralize the most diehard and loyal fan base in football, until now.

"The Redskins are now the best "reality" comedy on TV, and most people are tuning in to see what is going to happen next. Every time you thing to yourself that it can't get worse, it does. I have heard interviews with Vinny Cerrato and David Donovan recently where they have stated that there is no change in fan sentiment. Well I am here to tell you that I am both living and (non-living) proof to the contrary! No amount of spin can change the reality of this fiasco!

"I am a member of multiple Redskins message boards and it is just getting uglier every day. Snyder has two choices and both involve him getting out of his own way. Either sell the team or hire a GM and crawl under a rock. Either way he has to become completely invisible. We want our storied reputation back and people are willing to do whatever it takes, from not buying any Redskins merchandise, to boycotting ALL Snyder products and services, give up season tickets, etc....

"I and every other fan I know in person and on message boards have become emotionally detached from the franchise. We still love the team, but we simply HATE the owner and his Napoleonic ways. I will watch the games on TV like a rubbernecker driving by an accident on the highway, but I will not be going to any games in person this year, not even a free game in Philly that I haven't missed in five consecutive years. It is truly sad.

"The owner has killed my team....now I must eat your brain."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 3, 2009; 2:38 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall's W-L record isn't so great
Next: Skins open themselves up for fan feedback

Comments

It's funny how things can change so quickly.

Oh Steinz, don't forget about calling RFK and getting that quote for Dec. 27. The Eagle Bank Bowl is the 29th so the date is clear. And yes, I can't afford it, but I'm seeing a lot of rich, angry Skins fans, and if the fans could pool the metrobus sign and the billboard money, it could happen! (yes, this is my sad dream now, lol).

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 3, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I thought someone would've jumped in "first" before me, huh.

*does the cabbage patch*

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 3, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I think you forgot to start this entry with
"'I think the relentless negative coverage in The Washington Post is a real difference from previous years,' Redskins general counsel David Donovan said, in a quote I'm likely to recycle 7,000 times in the next week or so. 'But in terms of the way our actual fans are behaving, we don't see any difference.'"

Posted by: HowdyDCU | November 3, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Or alternately I'm illiterate. Wheeeeeee, it's coffee time...

Apologies.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | November 3, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Yawn..............

The stadium will still fill up, meaning that the fan behavior that MATTERS will NOT change. You admit that it won't change, so what are you blabbering on about?

Keep posting your cute pictures though, Dan.

Phun.

Posted by: popopo | November 3, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I usually like you but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! GEEZ!

You have been harping and writing (along with everyone else at the WaPo) about the ineptitude and demise of the Redskins for weeks - ENOUGH ALREADY!

We know the team sucks...we know the Owner is horrible....and we especially know the "GM" is Satan with bug eyes. Please quit rubbing salt in the wound.

Last week was a bye week....NBA season started....the Wiz actually looked good. But did you write about that? No, you just kept writing about the sad Redskins. They were on a bye...a much needed rest by both players and fans. But the media (espeicially you) just would not stop the insanity.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 3, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Hey PG Cops! you ef'ing pigs! go ahead, enforce the gestapo's rules.

Posted by: californicationdude | November 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I usually like you but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! GEEZ!

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 3, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse
-----------------

As a new member of Steinz' voluntary blog security, I am throwing the above post in the trash. Now flip your shirt inside out!

lol, I kid I kid...

Posted by: walkdwalk | November 3, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Lisa R its not insanity. . Dan keep it up your writing on this is good for us (the fans cause). Lisa R him writing should have no affect on your ability to follow the Wiz, Caps or whomever else. They have beat writers who to a good job. Tune in tonight at 7 to watch the take on Lebron.

Keep the pressure on.

Posted by: JDB1 | November 3, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Hammer please don't hurt 'em? Bah, keep hammerin' them Dan. It's good therapy for us long suffering Skins fans. And on a bright note, Tommy Soehn got the boot today. Do you HEAR that Snyder? A team in town that wants to change and get better.

Posted by: CHICO13 | November 3, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Please don't stop, Dan. The anger is out there. And it's about time that someone call out Douchbagus Maximus, Daniel $nyturd.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | November 3, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Dan, for a change of pace - any thoughts on Tom Soehn leaving DC United?

Posted by: VercengetorixII | November 3, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Lisa_R

If you have such an issue with Dan's subject matter simply don't click on the link. Otherwise, it just makes you look like a moron by comning in here and complaining via a post about something you can contol on your own but choose not too.

Dan For President

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 3, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah..Quiet Lisa..We like when Dan keeps piling on..Gives us a sense of security

Posted by: ocskins | November 3, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

keep up the good work dan....do you know how manny people snyder has pushed under the bus....way TO MANNY....LAVAR, BRIAN MITCHELL AND OTHERS....IT WAS HIS CHOICE TO BE ARROGANT AND RUDE TO EVERYONE....HE NEVER LOST A CENT....HE SHOULD BE SORRY FOR ALL THE LIVES HE'S THROWN OFF BALANCE...WHAT ABOUT ALL THE FAMILIES OF THE COACHES HE'S HIRED AND FIRED, AND PLAYERS TOO...SURE THEY GOT PAID....BUT DO YOU TREAT PEOPLE BAD JUST BECAUSE YOU PAY THEM....AS FAR AS DAVID DONOVAN GOES...HE'S A CRUMB SNATCHER WHO GOT IN ON THE ESTATE SALE OF THE TEAM FOR JACK KENT COOKES FOUNDATION, HE WAS WORKING FOR A PRIVATE FIRM AT THE TIME ASSOCIATED WITH THE TRANSACTION....NOW HE'S A BIG SHOT IN HIS MIND....HE'S SO SAVY ISN'T HE....GOING UP AGAINST THE FANS AND ACCUSING THE POST OF CHARACTER DEFIMATION....HE'S A JERK WHO THINKS HE'S SMART....HE'S OBVIOUSLY NOT SMARTER THEN THE FANS, AND COULDN'T HOLD A CANDLE TO CASSERLY AND COOKE THROUGHT THE WHOLE ESTATE TRANSACTION.....F- DONOVAN...GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

Posted by: ghostrider505 | November 3, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse