I thought the Cavs don't care about D.C.?

Mighty strange way of showing indifference.

(Yes, I'm projecting here. A television network is not the same as a basketball team.)

(Yes, I might as well just send a personalized letter to LeBron reading "please care about us please care about us please care about us.")

(Yes, I will keep coming back for more and more Cleveland-administered misery. I'm not quite sure why, but I can't stay away.)

(And yes, DeShawn won vote handily.)

(Via Extensive Vacation and Reader Andrew.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 3, 2009; 11:15 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LeBron James Banner at Gallery Place
Next: Fan-card protest makes WJLA

Comments

And...Wiz lose again to Cavs.

(Yawn.)

What a rivalry!

Posted by: hithere1 | November 4, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Two consecutive non-Skins posts?

Dan, is everything OK?

Posted by: charley42 | November 4, 2009 3:54 AM | Report abuse

Maybe CSN should ask us "which cavaliers player do you dislike the most?"

100% lebron james!

Posted by: rachel216 | November 4, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

"And...Wiz lose again to Cavs. (Yawn.) What a rivalry!"

How does someone not realize that constantly denying a sports rivalry doesn't exactly support a position of indifference?

(misinterpreting the facts doesn't help much either, since even with years of favoritism towards Queen James, the Cavs under Mike Brown just made it back to .500 against Washington with that win...how lopsided)

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 4, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

When the Piss beat the Cavs in the playoffs, THEN we will have a rivalry.

Posted by: popopo | November 4, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I really don't think the Wizards have a 'rival' - especially since they've been put in the (tough, but geographically dull) Southeast Division.

Don't care if the Cavs are a 'rival' or not, the bigger game is tonight vs a tough division foe.

P.S. - Who wants to bet that Shaq has four good games this season - and that they'll all be against Brendan Haywood?

Posted by: Kev29 | November 4, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Everything is not on the refs and they don't play the game for us especially in the second half but......

Once again the refs manipulated the way that game was played. None of our big men could play defense on Shaq. This dude is already an unstoppable force but they call all these tick tack fouls foe him and don't call fouls against him. The refs did this for him when he played for Miami the year they won the championship. We played Miami very tuff that year but lost every one of those games because of Shaq and Dwade treatment.

This storyline is getting old. I don't know if we'll ever beat the Cavs in a series. I had to turn my tv off because I knew where the game was headed half way thru the 3rd. Been there and done that. They say a rivalry consist of both teams winning. We are never going to beat them in Cleveland so I hope we can get home court advantage but then again the refs find a way to have Cleveland win at home too.

Traveling call anyone.

NBA referees have very litle respect for Caron Butler. He is a true warrior but he doesn't get the calls he deserves. CB gets fouled every time he goes to the basket. Also had a couple of bad turnovers yesterday.

Funny thing is we match up well with Boston. we beat them 3 out of four times the year they won the chip and we didn't even have Gil. I think we'll beat them but we can't beat Cleveland. Cleveland can't beat Boston. Go figure. Matchups, matchups, matchups.

Posted by: JWADE4 | November 4, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

i had the cleveland broadcast from nba season pass and there was no question the fans there consider it a rivalry. the place exploded when shaq crushed stevenson.

Posted by: follybeach | November 4, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

When the Piss beat the Cavs in the playoffs, THEN we will have a rivalry.

Posted by: popopo | November 4, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

**********

So the "rivalry" will start next year after Lebron leaves for the Knicks and Shaq retires.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | November 4, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"And...Wiz lose again to Cavs. (Yawn.) What a rivalry!"

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 4, 2009 7:43 AM

Bored with the Wiz-Cav "rivalry" jibba jabba, yes. Bored with the Bog? NEVER!!! And so here I am. Deal with it. Or don't.

RE: Wiz-Cavs .500 under Brown (during the regular season) - so what? Wiz have around .500 records against various teams over various periods. That alone does not a rivalry make. How about some playoffs? Hmmm, a little different. Until Wiz-Cavs playoff history becomes more balanced, all I hear is a lot of...well, jibba jabba.

I want there to be a rivalry, personally. I want the Wiz to beat the Cavs every time they play, then meet them in the playoffs, beat them, and gloat. But right now it just feels sad to talk about a rivalry.

Posted by: hithere1 | November 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

And...Wiz lose again to Cavs.

(Yawn.)

What a rivalry!

Posted by: hithere1 | November 4, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Most fans would agree the only playoff series that mattered in terms of outcome between these two teams came in 2006 (since in 07 the Wiz were without Arenas and Butler and in 08 the team was without a healthy Arenas).

In the only series that mattered, 06, the Wiz were about to go up 2-1 in the series when LeBron took 4 steps en route to the game winning basket. Last I checked, you are only permitted 2 steps--he took 4.

The same exact thing happened in game 5, and no whistle was blown. 3 last second, 1 point losses to the Cavs in that series, thanks to the refs.

This has very much been an even series since LeBron came into the league in 2003, and the numbers back this up.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 4, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

...the teams being dead-even in the regular season in the only era anyone is discussing is definitely relevant. The obvious mutual hatred is another vital element of a rivalry. And I don't even think it sounds sad to talk about the playoffs, since with Washington often missing at least one key player, the Cavaliers still need a lot of questionable calls & suspensions doled out to win many of these games by a single point.

Perhaps Skins / Cowboys isn't a rivalry because of their playoff history either?

I also don't understand the general culture of people denying sports rivalries. Rivalries are pretty much the best thing that can happen in sports. If you asked anyone in the NBA, they would tell you that Wizards/Cavs is one of the best things to happen to the league in recent years. The only reason to even watch something that's as obviously rigged as the NBA is to at least get a little emotional excitement out of it. Why do you think they have to manufacture heroes and villians in pro wrestling?

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 4, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"I also don't understand the general culture of people denying sports rivalries."

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 4, 2009 4:36 PM

????

Please sir, "let...my people....go!"

Posted by: hithere1 | November 4, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 4, 2009 4:36 PM

Wiz - Cavs < sporting rivalry

"I do this for my culture..."

Posted by: hithere1 | November 4, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse