Jason Taylor still sounds sour about Greg Blache

Before things turned. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

Good news: Jason Taylor was on Sirius NFL Radio's "The Sirius Blitz" with Adam Schein on Friday morning, and he didn't have one bad word to say about Daniel Snyder. Praised him effusively, in fact.

No, Taylor's criticisms were all about Greg Blache. Hey, it's a change of pace, at least. Something new and cheerful for a Friday afternoon.

"The deal in Washington didn't work out for any of us, for myself or for the Redskins," Taylor said. "The Dolphins, they got a draft pick out of it, a couple draft picks out of it, but I think the deal in Washington could have been a lot different if handled differently. You know, you take a guy that's got 100-some sacks at a certain position, and you bring him up there to pay him a bunch of money, give up two draft picks and make him play somewhere else. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I just think that's not the smartest thing to do."

"I mean, you must have looked at that situation and [said] Well, why are you paying me this money, why are you trading a draft pick, if you're not gonna let me go to the quarterback?" Schein asked.

"Well, I said it to everybody in the building," Taylor responded. "And Dan Snyder ... was outstanding throughout the whole ordeal. Couldn't be more grateful to Dan and the way he handled our situation. But I talked to everybody in the building, and I ended up even going out and telling the media, 'Look, I'm not worth the money I'm getting paid, I'm not in the right spot. I wish I could do more, I know I could do more for this team.'

"It was just a situation where, for whatever reason, the D-coordinator there wanted to do things his way, and leave me on the side playing a position I really hadn't played in 11 years prior to that. And [I] hadn't played it for a reason. I'm not a left end. I'm not a 290-pound, five technique that's gonna sit there and take on double teams. I play on edges and I try to create havoc in the backfield, and we're sitting there taking on blocks up in D.C. It just wasn't a fit for me."

So you have to wonder whether Dan Snyder will not break his media silence to defend Greg Blache from this slander. Actually, no, you really don't have to wonder that. But you could wonder that if you wanted to. Or instead, you could wonder who's the next-high ranking Ashburn employee who'll be targeted by a former player.

More Stuff

* Here's the summary SI.com provides for S.L. Price's piece about the Redskins:

The Redskins are a mess and owner Daniel Snyder is a major reason why

The controlling Synder has become a gushing fanboy and a meddlesome presence

The fans have lost hope and former Washington great John Riggins has spoken out

So it's a positive piece, right?

* Maurice Jones-Drew on the Redskins, via ESPN.com: "What Haynesworth said: When they want to win, they will."

* Here's Vinny Cerrato, to Adam Schefter, on his ESPN 980 radio show this morning

Cerrato: "Good morning, Adam."

Schefter: "Hello there, Vin, what's going on buddy?"

Cerrato: "Hey, there's always something going on, Adam, there's never a dull moment, let me just say that. ... Hey, since there's never a dull moment here, how 'bout the dull moments in Cleveland, Adam."

Later, he asked about the Tom Cable situation. So yeah, Vinny Cerrato is interviewing ESPN reporters about the front-office turmoil within other organizations. That's cool.

* Charles Mann might have the best take on the John Riggins situation. Read it here. A highlight:

So is there any truth to what he's saying? Of course. If there wasn't, people would dismiss his comments as crazy or, worse still, ignore them. Let's face it, though: The Redskins aren't doing so well. Fans, myself included, are so frustrated we take notice. And Riggo is a master at fanning those flames. Whether he really believes Daniel Snyder has a "dark heart" is irrelevant. What matters is that people sit up and take notice.

* Finally, Fox 5 profiles some guy who's wearing a mask to protect his identity while selling Snyder Stinks t-shirts, on the side of some woody road. This is a bit old, I think, but it's still a perfect story for this thoroughly bizarre season.

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 6, 2009; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Media , NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth defends Dan Snyder
Next: Burgundy Revolution travels to Atlanta

Comments

what was a bigger waste of picks--Jason Taylor or TJ Duckett?

Posted by: jpfterps | November 6, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

First. Also what Taylor said also rings true with Brian Orakpo. Why we play him as a LB 2/3rds of the time still puzzles me. He has 3.5 sacks already playing DE at a limited role, it would be amazing to see what he could do if he played there full time.

Posted by: CharlieDay1 | November 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

But why blame Blatche? We already had a right end. Dan and Vinny went out and got JT when we lost Daniels so basically we ended up with two starting right ends. Someone was going to have to fill that spot, and the least disruption to the team at that point was to have the new guy go there rather than shuffle the rest of the line. Classic example of going after a big name rather than doing some homework and filling the need. And JT knew before he signed that he would be replacing Daniels in our system so no whining now.

Posted by: geotherm21 | November 6, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

excellent point by jason taylor, a point that is rings mildly true about haynesworth as well (though, paying a guy $100 million apparently gives snyder a right to demand changes in coaching philosophy to some extent).

another good example of the disconnect between scouting department, coaching staff and the front office.

Posted by: bacaje | November 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

what was a bigger waste of picks--Jason Taylor or TJ Duckett?

Posted by: jpfterps | November 6, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

You know you and i disagree to an extent on Cerrato...but let the record show I disapproved of both those moves at the time. The Taylor thing seemed so reactionary. And the duckett thing pissed me off because we had ladell betts sitting right there, who ended up rushing for a thousand plus yards that year--almost entirely in the 2nd half. It was really baffling.

I would argue that the majority of these big off season moves most fans applaud at the time. But the 2 above moves seemed clearly destined for disaster

Posted by: Barno1 | November 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

By now, Snyder must be beginning to learn the hard lesson that there are some things that he and all his money cannot buy. Among them: NFL wins and Super Bowl trophies (at least for now), and the respect of players (especially former players) and fans.

Posted by: Punisher703 | November 6, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Blache needs to go. I wouldn't change Orapko around either. I hope they clean house from Cerrato on down. The whole thing is a train wreck. A disaster that promises to get worse as the season goes on.

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 6, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

can someone start a list of all the things that this team has done wrong with personnel moves over the past 10 years. that would circumvent a lot of this stuff.

Posted by: nick87 | November 6, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nick87 | November 6, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

It's called the "Redskins Insider" blog, from 2006-2009, during Jason La Canfora's reign of terror.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CharlieDay1 | November 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abu

We play him there because we already have an RDE who's having a great year (Carter), and Orakpo is no more an LDE than Taylor was. Plus, he's our best strong side linebacker. And it's not as if this kind of thing hasn't been done here successfully before. Ken Harvey was an All-pro calibre player who did the same thing, playing SLB on running downs, and shifting to RDE on passing downs. Not to worry, though. When Carter's contract is up, I'm betting he won't be resigned, and Orakpo will be the full time RDE.

Posted by: rbpalmer | November 6, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

How is it that Mike Nolan got vanilla ice-cream and the door but Blache gets nothing but support from Snyder? Insane. Blache needs to go sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Megskin | November 6, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CharlieDay1 | November 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

+1,000,000

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | November 6, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Sweet, and why the hell should we care what Jason Taylor thinks?

Posted by: FatAlbert92 | November 7, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I dont like Blache's scheme,but I like his personality. I feel like hes afraid to let the players play,esp go after the quarterback.Thats to me makes players like Landry and Rodgers useless in pass coverage.

Jason Taylor is confirming what most of us knew all along.Brian Orakpo needs to be in the backfield on every play.If its a run,so what.I see other teams just blow thru gaps and makes huge tackles for loss.Justin Tuck anyone?

Posted by: robbyrock | November 8, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I suppose Jeremy Jarmon is a RDE type as well?

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 9, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse