Jim Zorn seems to have aged a bit

At his hiring, and after Sunday's game. (Real photo by John McDonnell - TWP)

Now, I should say that the above images aren't an entirely fair comparison. The one on the left was taken by a professional photographer, on a day Jim Zorn had time to gather himself, inside an auditorium. The image on the left was grabbed from Internet video, on a day Zorn was coaching his guts out, on a field in Philadelphia.

So bear that in mind. And yet still, I ask, does the Redskins' head coaching job age you more than being President of the United States? This happened over a span of 22 months in Ashburn, although if you didn't know you'd assume that Zorn had just finished a decade in Siberia.

That "today" image comes from RedskinsTV.com, whose postgame interview with Zorn on Sunday was equally harrowing.

"Let me tell you, it's just devastating to have to lose like we lost today," Zorn said. "I'm trying to look, I'm trying to grope around and find out what happened. There'll be a lot of questions and answers as we watch the video, but again, our team fought hard, and then we come up short....I'm proud of our group, I really am. It's our record that's so lousy."

Larry Michael asked him something about how it would be nice to get some home cooking next week at FedEx Field, and Zorn laughed, but it was the laugh of the wizened prisoner entering his third decade in captivity, the laugh of the starving survivor of a siege, the laugh of the cursed and the damned. He laughed, but he was really crying.

"No," he said, "we've got to learn how to win on the road, we've got to win at home. I mean, there's no question, this is really a difficult situation for us. I feel so bad for our football team. You know, I'm the head football coach, so I know what I'm responsible for in this whole deal. I just feel bad for our players, because they've worked so hard each week to get that win. Our fans have to just be struggling with us. It'll be interesting to see what's said and what's thought, but I'll tell you what our team will do, we'll stay together and we'll get after it again."

His players who appeared on the same postgame show seemed equally unhappy.

"It just [stinks]," Santana Moss said. "I can see if we was just one of those teams that you just know it's gonna be easy when we step out there, as far as us getting ran over, and that's not the case. You know, we have so much talent and we're out there showing it this second part of the season. Coming up short, it's just putting more of the hurt that we've been going through all season on us, a little deeper, a little harder."

"Just tired of coming up short," London Fletcher said. "These last two weeks we've battled, fought, I thought played well. You get tired of just battling, and coming away with Hey, we played tough, and all this. You know, we want some wins....All this We fought pretty good? I mean, that does nothing for us."

"I think we all are great players in our own, and everybody wants to win," Fred Davis said. "Even though we know people probably talking about us like You guys 3-7, we was thinking today we was gonna be 4-8 and win the rest of the games. I mean, that was our plan. Didn't work out that way. I think next week we're gonna keep fighting again."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 30, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell says everything "blacked out"
Next: Vinny Cerrato's keys to the games

Comments

Another week of, we fought hard. Yay.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | November 30, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Zorn aged?

Anyone that has worked for an A-Hole boss, can relate...

Posted by: Max231 | November 30, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Both teams played hard.

Posted by: fourteenth_and_otis | November 30, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Corny zorny is an effing joke
Worst coach in the history of the nfl

Posted by: jonthefisherman | November 30, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Being the coach of the Washington Redskins has got to be like being a highly compensated member of an ineffective bomb squad.

The management won't buy you the robot you need and so you've got to improvise and dismantle the darn thing yourself. And your manager and his lackey, who know nothing about how to do your job, sit a safe distance away while they try to suggest whether you whether you should cut the blue wire or the red wire.

There's got to be less stressful job options out there. Like being an emergency room surgeon who moonlights as an executive chef.

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | November 30, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Fred Davis, ""Even though we know people probably talking about us like You guys 3-7, we was thinking today we was gonna be 4-8 ..."

Is this called fuzzy math?

Posted by: jnsbear | November 30, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

You beat me to it , JnsBear.

LMAO....

Posted by: owiz | November 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Is this called fuzzy math?
Posted by: jnsbear

No, Skins are such lousy org that NFL will also add 1 to loss column even if Redskins win...

Posted by: soupdjour | November 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has aged more in 2 years than W or Clinton aged in 8.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | November 30, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, he won't have to put with working for a bad organization for much longer.

Posted by: lefthandedslingshot | November 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zorn will end up in Oakland, kinda like how Norv ended up there after getting the can here?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | November 30, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely doubt that...according to Jim, Seattle-Oakland hatred is just like Washington-Dallas! *COUGH COUGH COUGHCOUGHCOUGH COUGH COUGH! COUGH COUGH!! COUGH COUGH*

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | November 30, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | December 1, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Zorn has aged more in 2 years than W or Clinton aged in 8.

Posted by: vmrg1974 | November 30, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

What? Seems like Portis aged about 10 years in the last two.

And why bash Zorn for not having the time to get some Grecian and fluff his hair up? Forever young.

Posted by: WorstSeat | December 1, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse